Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1129770 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #3400 on: January 20, 2022, 11:49:15 AM »
It’s very different but makes me think of “layaway” programs.  Do stores still do those? I heard some story at work recently about a local philanthropist paying off a lot of layaway accounts at Christmas time.

My local butcher does a Christmas layaway account, people pay in £5 a month and then get £60 of meat at Christmas. He doesn't charge them anything to do it.

That's really smart. It's guaranteed income for the butcher, plus it would help with planning orders from suppliers during the busy season. Customers would also be assured of getting good meat for their dinners and/or gifts.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3401 on: January 26, 2022, 02:07:20 PM »
We set up a Christmas club account about 20 years ago. B/c we've never changed banks, it still functions the same. We don't really need it now but we just let it run its course. I think it's max amount is $350 or so.

Nowadays that $350 seems like a pretty frugal Christmas budget by most people's standards!

It is. We spend more than that. I'm not motivated enough to go switch it off.

hounton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3402 on: January 27, 2022, 07:07:38 PM »
My 15 year old daughter was displeased with the 30 dollar phone I bought her so she decided to get a job to buy herself the latest iphone.  She got a job 2 hours a day after school at a day care.  She came home one day and said, "Mom, there are people who work there that are your age.  How do they live on what I make?"  Then when they had a secret santa with a 10 dollar limit, one of her middle aged coworkers declined and said they couldn't afford it.  My daughter came home in disbelief.  She said, "Mom, I know that there are people who are working poor, but it's so different when you know them.  I can't believe that someone my parents age could be so poor.  I guess I never thought that my parents could run out of money."

I'd say that she learned a lesson more valuable than her iphone. 

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3403 on: January 27, 2022, 07:20:04 PM »
hounton, that may be one of the best $30 you ever spent!

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3404 on: January 27, 2022, 07:59:29 PM »
My 15 year old daughter was displeased with the 30 dollar phone I bought her so she decided to get a job to buy herself the latest iphone.  She got a job 2 hours a day after school at a day care.  She came home one day and said, "Mom, there are people who work there that are your age.  How do they live on what I make?"  Then when they had a secret santa with a 10 dollar limit, one of her middle aged coworkers declined and said they couldn't afford it.  My daughter came home in disbelief.  She said, "Mom, I know that there are people who are working poor, but it's so different when you know them.  I can't believe that someone my parents age could be so poor.  I guess I never thought that my parents could run out of money."

Ask your daughter what phone that person who could not afford 10$ owned.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3405 on: January 27, 2022, 10:53:28 PM »

There's a part of me that expects the answer to be a top of the range, latest model iPhone.

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #3406 on: January 29, 2022, 01:25:22 AM »

There's a part of me that expects the answer to be a top of the range, latest model iPhone.

This is indeed an amazing story! Well done @hounton junior both for getting the job in the first place and also doing all that growing up and thinking. Now I’m curious whether this affected her own phone buying plans. I wouldn’t blame her if she still got the phone she originally wanted, but I guess the experience has made her think a lot about future earning and spending.

My kids are younger, but I have a lot of friends with kids the same age, who are now independently realising that how they do now at school influences what schools they get into next, which in turn influences their future studies and thereby their future jobs and earning power… their parents are positively glowing when talking about it!

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #3407 on: January 29, 2022, 08:33:51 AM »

This is indeed an amazing story! Well done @hounton junior both for getting the job in the first place and also doing all that growing up and thinking. Now I’m curious whether this affected her own phone buying plans. I wouldn’t blame her if she still got the phone she originally wanted, but I guess the experience has made her think a lot about future earning and spending.

My kids are younger, but I have a lot of friends with kids the same age, who are now independently realising that how they do now at school influences what schools they get into next, which in turn influences their future studies and thereby their future jobs and earning power… their parents are positively glowing when talking about it!

I know someone (21) who decided to take a gap year after her bachelor's. She was kinda sorta wanting to do a PhD but not a Master's (!), maybe, you know, next year. She found a job, loosely related to her major, industry-wise, but entry level, and lasted all of two weeks. It made her realize that she really needed to finish her education and at least get a Master's if she didn't want to end up doing this kind of jobs forever, and that maybe her parents didn't get where they are by sheer luck or pure privilege.

So she got serious about finding a real job for the PhD. She then realized that it wouldn't be as easy as she thought, since you know, she's competing with people who do have a Master's, so she also registered for a Master's next fall if that didn't work.

"You were right", she said to everybody who warned her last summer.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3408 on: January 29, 2022, 08:56:06 AM »
There are pros and cons to each type of RV.  Everyone has to figure out their own sweet spot.  I will likely change up as time goes by.  Living in an RV that is easier than changing houses because the size or location doesn't fit anymore.

This is true, however the downside of that extra flexibility, at least from the one couple I know who have lived full time in an RV for the last 8 years, is that they have gone through 5 RVs in those 8 years adapting to whatever best suit them at the time.  Honestly, buying, learning all the maintenance and ins and outs, then selling 5 different RVs over that time sounds kind of exhausting.  Also, it cost a lot more than they expected going to RV life because of constant changes in the RVs.  They sold their house at I think ~400k 8 years ago, but that house has gone up to at least 700k in those 8 years.  Meanwhile their RVs have been mostly between 40-70k, and mostly sold close to what they bought them for, but they’ve usually put 5-10k into each one of them in upgrades/solar/repairs/skirting etc so they probably burnt well over 50k in depreciation/transaction cost in 8 years

If they used $50k from the house sale toward an RV and put the rest in the S&P 500 in January 2004, today they would have a $50k RV plus ~$950M.

Houses require maintenance expenses as well, of course. Even still neglecting that they would have come out WAY ahead. Like $200k + a $50k RV.

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #3409 on: January 29, 2022, 08:57:50 AM »

I know someone (21) who decided to take a gap year after her bachelor's. She was kinda sorta wanting to do a PhD but not a Master's (!), maybe, you know, next year. She found a job, loosely related to her major, industry-wise, but entry level, and lasted all of two weeks. It made her realize that she really needed to finish her education and at least get a Master's if she didn't want to end up doing this kind of jobs forever, and that maybe her parents didn't get where they are by sheer luck or pure privilege.

So she got serious about finding a real job for the PhD. She then realized that it wouldn't be as easy as she thought, since you know, she's competing with people who do have a Master's, so she also registered for a Master's next fall if that didn't work.

Hey, don’t knock it :-) I did a PhD straight after my BSc. What I never did was take a gap year, and I’m desperate to take one now. It’ll be my FIRE test run.

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #3410 on: January 29, 2022, 10:31:09 AM »
The "Christmas Club" concept is new to me, but I know a few people who opt to pay extra in taxes throughout the year in order to get a bigger refund because they don't have the discipline to save the money themselves. Of course, they'll almost always blow their refund check on some new toy within a few weeks of receiving it.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #3411 on: January 29, 2022, 02:07:35 PM »

Hey, don’t knock it :-) I did a PhD straight after my BSc. What I never did was take a gap year, and I’m desperate to take one now. It’ll be my FIRE test run.

Oh I'm not knocking it. I think it's a good idea, actually. But she apparently thought finding - and getting accepted - in the PhD program of a major, reputable college would be as easy as finding the right "internship" and sending her application to the program, and that in the meantime, she'd just find a cool job, maybe.

She realized it's not easy, that competition is a real thing (and she's at a disadvantage due to having only a BsC, very little work experience, and no need to work to support herself (privileged kid)). She also realized backup plans are good to have (hence enrolling into the Master's program in case it doesn't pan out as she wants), and that entry level jobs are neither easy nor fun.

I think this gap year has so far given her very, very useful life lessons. Watching her grow up in the past few months was very cool.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3412 on: January 29, 2022, 03:59:46 PM »
A guy at work got laid off at age 67, and I was saying to another co-worker how lucky he was, as he gets to collect a year's pay (layoff package) and can wait at least that long to claim Social Security. Oh, no, turns out he claimed at 62, even though he was working and making at least $100k/yr.

When my friend asked him if he realized how much that cost him, he said he didn't care, because all the men in his family died in their 60s. Meanwhile he's got two RVs (couldn't sell the old one but bought a new one anyway) and we're pretty sure he's taken most of his home equity out to buy toys. Good thing his kids are grown and gone!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3413 on: January 29, 2022, 05:31:18 PM »

I both took a 5-year gap period after my B.S. and went straight into a PhD program. In my field, if you’re a good candidate, you get a full ride plus living stipend (and usually vacation and health insurance) if you’re accepted to a PhD program. You pay out of pocket for a Master’s degree.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #3414 on: January 30, 2022, 02:47:06 PM »
I don’t know if this should go in the Anti-Mustachian thread or the anti-anti-Mustachian thread.

My coworker was very excited last week because she got paid as she had been pretty broke for about a week.  She’s in her 50s and makes probably around $80k a year after-tax. For the record, as expats, our company pays for our housing and health insurance. Most people in this city live on less than $800 a month.

She said that she had opened a Vanguard account and has started sending half her paycheck every month. Yay! So Mustachian! Then she said that she’s painfully broke at the end of the month anyway, so she’d rather have some money in savings and do we think she should stop the Vanguard transfers so that she can have more money to cover her living expenses? Noooo!!!!

Then she said, “Yeah, you’re probably right. I’m going to end up with no money in my bank account at the end of the month anyway, regardless of whether I put money in Vanguard.” Basically, the more money she has in her account the more she spends.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 02:50:16 PM by Freedomin5 »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3415 on: January 30, 2022, 03:36:46 PM »
I don’t know if this should go in the Anti-Mustachian thread or the anti-anti-Mustachian thread. ...
Hmmm, that IS quite the dilemma you're facing.  I guess we'll have to see what she does next in order to judgmentally judge her! :P

In any case, I think it's fantastic that she appears to recognize the cause-effect relationship there.  That's an important first step.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3416 on: January 31, 2022, 12:03:18 PM »

Around here, if it's a middle-aged lady, it's much more likely to be a very old phone (not an iPhone), with a cracked screen that still remarkably works.

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #3417 on: February 02, 2022, 10:28:06 AM »
Coworker got a demo car from the dealership, paid it off in 2 years, then sold it because she "wanted to sell it before the price went down"... Then used that money to get this other new car that was more expensive... also she is always complaining about money.

Another one, my friend, who has a bachelor's degree but has never had a proper job (she hustles), we went to this attraction tour near where I live and she paid for all the silly pictures those theme parks sell at an outrageous price. She didn't really have that much money but said those pictures were a once in a lifetime thing and she would try to cutback later on.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 10:32:28 AM by Lunasol »

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #3418 on: February 26, 2022, 09:38:11 PM »
At work I've been talking for years about my plans for early retirement, how I'm investing.   The cult  I'm in ;).  Imaginary internet friends I'm learing from..
   Coworker has a good amount of extra cash.  Last week I  suggested Roth IRAs since the market was having a little correction.  This person is close to 59 years old.  "any gains would be tax free."  Nope, bought a camper.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3419 on: February 28, 2022, 12:25:36 PM »
At work I've been talking for years about my plans for early retirement, how I'm investing.   The cult  I'm in ;).  Imaginary internet friends I'm learing from..
   Coworker has a good amount of extra cash.  Last week I  suggested Roth IRAs since the market was having a little correction.  This person is close to 59 years old.  "any gains would be tax free."  Nope, bought a camper.

Could be mustachian if he intends to sell his house and live in it... 😁

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3420 on: March 01, 2022, 10:46:25 AM »
I have a coworker in their early sixties I've posted about before. From cashing out his 403b a few years ago, to buying expensive trucks used mostly for commuting...his belt is notched up with just about any money mistake you can make. He just missed some sort of payment recently and his credit score dropped over 30 points. Anyway, I come into work yesterday having been off a week, and he proceeds to tell me that because the markets "keep going down" and he didn't see a way for them go back up, he rolled over most or all (wasn't clear on that) of his employee retirement account to some sort of annuities at a financial company I had not heard of. So he basically locked in whatever he'd lost. From his brief description, it sounds like maybe some variety of index linked annuity. He did say they can "never go down". I'm sure there's quite a price to be paid for that. Ugh.       

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3421 on: March 02, 2022, 03:36:05 AM »
Especially if that company goes bankcrupt, as it goes with a lot of scam companies after their owners have siphoned off a few millions.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3422 on: March 03, 2022, 07:50:40 AM »
Co-worker made some good returns on crypto a bought a cottage, and is now shocked by the costs of maintaining a second home. With raising energy costs his monthly heating bill during the winter months on his cottage are over $500. The fuel cost to drive there and back keep rising. He just got two property tax bills both due at the same time. On paper the raising values on both his properties show he is still ahead. However, his cash flow issues and expenses are starting to put a dampener on his joys of owning a cottage.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3423 on: March 03, 2022, 08:23:00 AM »
Co-worker made some good returns on crypto a bought a cottage, and is now shocked by the costs of maintaining a second home. With raising energy costs his monthly heating bill during the winter months on his cottage are over $500. The fuel cost to drive there and back keep rising. He just got two property tax bills both due at the same time. On paper the raising values on both his properties show he is still ahead. However, his cash flow issues and expenses are starting to put a dampener on his joys of owning a cottage.
My brother-in-law just bought a primary home up in the mountains of NW NC.    He said the same realtor will often re-sell the same home every few years for the same reason.

People buy a vacation home, visit a bunch for half a year, then don't visit much, then sell it because it's too expensive to own.

So at least someone makes a good living off of this foolishness!

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3424 on: March 03, 2022, 09:07:08 AM »
My brother-in-law just bought a primary home up in the mountains of NW NC.    He said the same realtor will often re-sell the same home every few years for the same reason.

People buy a vacation home, visit a bunch for half a year, then don't visit much, then sell it because it's too expensive to own.

My husband and his coworkers joke that the two rules for financial security are no divorces, and no vacation homes.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3425 on: March 03, 2022, 09:34:17 AM »

My husband and his coworkers joke that the two rules for financial security are no divorces, and no vacation homes.

What about boats?

I am making my own kayak cover, but I drove 45 miles round trip to do a dry fit so that I can finish the project...

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3426 on: March 03, 2022, 10:31:55 AM »
The great thing about plastic kayaks is that if you keep them inside, they practically last forever. That $15/year state invasive species permit really irks me, though. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3427 on: March 03, 2022, 11:06:03 AM »
The great thing about plastic kayaks is that if you keep them inside, they practically last forever. That $15/year state invasive species permit really irks me, though.

We don't have an inside for it, hence the $$$ cover that needs to be replaced every three years.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3428 on: March 03, 2022, 11:15:14 AM »

We don't have an inside for it, hence the $$$ cover that needs to be replaced every three years.

Good call. And better than a boat with a motor and an electrical system and a radio and… wood!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3429 on: March 03, 2022, 03:39:30 PM »

Good call. And better than a boat with a motor and an electrical system and a radio and… wood!

Oh, we have one of those, too. The kayak fits between the mast and the forestay. Can't wait to move back onboard over the next few months!!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3430 on: March 11, 2022, 10:45:33 AM »
bumped into my ex-supervisor at ex-employer. asked him if he was on track to retire early at 60.
5 years ago, when we worked together, he had a 2500 sf home, living with wife and kid, daily commute was 45 min round trip.
2018, he bought a 3200 sf home, kid lived with them, daily commute increased to 70-80 minutes round trip. sold old home.
2021, bought a new-build 3800 sf home, kid in college, daily commute increased to 2 hour round trip, sold previous home.
Asked him if he made money on each sale. He said he barely broke even.
He said he's not going to be able to retire before 67.
Man is piling on debt with bigger, more expensive homes and newer cars, has been promoted but salary didn't increase much.
And his wife quit working around 2017. She's in a field that was super-demand during covid, could have made serious six-figure money, but didn't want to work.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3431 on: March 11, 2022, 12:01:04 PM »

Not having kids can really jumpstart FIRE as well.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3432 on: March 11, 2022, 02:22:35 PM »
bumped into my ex-supervisor at ex-employer. asked him if he was on track to retire early at 60.
5 years ago, when we worked together, he had a 2500 sf home, living with wife and kid, daily commute was 45 min round trip.
2018, he bought a 3200 sf home, kid lived with them, daily commute increased to 70-80 minutes round trip. sold old home.
2021, bought a new-build 3800 sf home, kid in college, daily commute increased to 2 hour round trip, sold previous home.
Asked him if he made money on each sale. He said he barely broke even.
He said he's not going to be able to retire before 67.
Man is piling on debt with bigger, more expensive homes and newer cars, has been promoted but salary didn't increase much.
And his wife quit working around 2017. She's in a field that was super-demand during covid, could have made serious six-figure money, but didn't want to work.
Ouch. Well, with the housing market the way it is now, maybe he'll come out okay?  He could rent rooms in the 3800 sf house...

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3433 on: March 11, 2022, 02:37:38 PM »

Not having kids can really jumpstart FIRE as well.

As can having them, if you're the kind of person to be motivated by that.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3434 on: March 12, 2022, 07:26:03 AM »

What about boats?

I am making my own kayak cover, but I drove 45 miles round trip to do a dry fit so that I can finish the project...

An easy way to remember this advice is "one house, one spouse".
Also, "if it flies, floats or fucks, rent it".

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3435 on: March 12, 2022, 02:10:08 PM »

What about boats?

Are you supposed to rent the wife/husband or prostitutes? I guess there is a breakeven point were the first one is cheaper.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3436 on: March 14, 2022, 07:49:23 AM »

What about boats?

Are you supposed to rent the wife/husband or prostitutes? I guess there is a breakeven point were the first one is cheaper.
The context in which I heard this little gem of advice was in regard to expensive possessions like airplanes, boats and horses. I guess I should have mentioned that.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3437 on: March 14, 2022, 12:49:14 PM »

What about boats?

people are fucking their horses? I thought you were supposed to ride them

The context in which I heard this little gem of advice was in regard to expensive possessions like airplanes, boats and horses. I guess I should have mentioned that.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3438 on: March 15, 2022, 12:02:45 PM »

What about boats?

That makes sense! I could not figure that out.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3439 on: March 15, 2022, 03:38:45 PM »

What about boats?

That makes sense! I could not figure that out.

I always thought it was a dig at marriage.   
I'm all about the marriage advantages,  to  reverse a quote from The Talking Heads, "this IS my beautiful wife, this IS my beautiful house" 
Some people are not marriage fans and some math supports them.   
YMMV.

http://thatsfunnyshit.blogspot.com/2011/07/purchasing-or-leasing-which-is-better.html
Purchasing or Leasing - which is better?
Many people ask their accountant which is cheaper - purchasing or leasing?
We'd like to help you decide by illustrating two charming stories of foolish men and cunning women.

Purchasing
The maths on the Paul McCartney - Heather Mills divorce is as follows:
After 5 years of marriage, he paid her $49 million.
Assuming he had sex with her every night during their 5 year relationship, it ended up with him purchasing her @ $26,849 per time.

Leasing
On the other hand, New York Governor Eliot Spitzer's favourite hooker, Kristen charged $4,000 per night.

So, had Paul McCartney "employed" Kristen for 5 years @ $4,000 per night, he would have paid only $7.3 million in total for sex every night .

This represents a $41.7 million savings. What a shrewd cocksman Eliot is, compared to the ageing Beatle.

...it then goes on.....

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3440 on: March 15, 2022, 04:49:22 PM »

What about boats?

You have carnal relations with horses???

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3441 on: March 22, 2022, 11:29:48 AM »

What about boats?

A friend of ours has built a successful business with a dozen franchises throughout the SE, and he's recently gone through a divorce. I've wondered if he'd benefit from some pay-for-play, but he's also Catholic.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #3442 on: March 24, 2022, 11:42:47 AM »
A friend of ours has built a successful business with a dozen franchises throughout the SE, and he's recently gone through a divorce. I've wondered if he'd benefit from some pay-for-play, but he's also Catholic.

In which case he's finished for life in the nooky department. No remarriage after divorce, no extramarital shenanigans.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3443 on: March 24, 2022, 12:41:01 PM »

In which case he's finished for life in the nooky department. No remarriage after divorce, no extramarital shenanigans.

They really need to bring back indulgences.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3444 on: March 24, 2022, 03:10:30 PM »

I mean, not exactly? Pope Francis opened the door for more grace towards the divorced in 2016....
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/08/473484539/on-divorce-contraception-pope-calls-for-more-grace-less-dogma

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3445 on: March 24, 2022, 06:30:30 PM »

I mean, not exactly? Pope Francis opened the door for more grace towards the divorced in 2016....
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/08/473484539/on-divorce-contraception-pope-calls-for-more-grace-less-dogma

But according to my *very* trad Cath SIL and family...(pssst! he's not the *real* pope).

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3446 on: March 24, 2022, 06:51:05 PM »

But according to my *very* trad Cath SIL and family...(pssst! he's not the *real* pope).

I have been waiting to hear that, but so far, liberals just completely twist everything he says, I could not possibly understand...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3447 on: March 25, 2022, 04:10:57 AM »

Oh really? Which one is it then? The Russian one who said that Putin is doing a holy war?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3448 on: March 25, 2022, 06:40:14 AM »

I think--given the choice between sex and catholicism--my friend will choose the former.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3449 on: March 25, 2022, 07:42:43 AM »

I think--given the choice between sex and catholicism--my friend will choose the former.

Yea, I know a lot of ex catholics who have found a place in a local protestant church *and* a life after divorce.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!