Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 520421 times)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2350 on: February 28, 2020, 12:22:12 PM »
Are they orange or black?

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2351 on: February 28, 2020, 10:13:22 PM »
I loved my basic civic (2010) - but like if you are willing to spend $800 on a car, why not get a better car? IDK this seems crazy.

In my part of the country that's a comfortable house payment.
You can sleep in a car but you can't drive a house!

Oh yeah??!?!?!  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3iC9CDlaV8

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2352 on: February 29, 2020, 01:28:50 AM »
The number of pads and tampons increase dramatically in the last few years, however!

Out of curiosity, could you potentially do the perma-birth control method there where periods are skipped entirely, or would that cause issues at that point?

I know that my doctor offered me an tubal/ablation last time that, in theory, would stop my periods permanently.  I currently respond well to the implant, but if that ever changes I'll consider the surgical option.
Sound fancy-pants.  I had tubal years ago, no ablation, and still have all the periods.
Getting medical stuff permanently addressed can also be a hedge against the temporary treatment no longer being covered by insurance, or being banned in the future.

(Or the peace of mind of knowing it's done with, or for this specific case, never having to deal with IUD replacement again - it's definitely not comfortable and some people have chronic pain in that area.)

In theory it is but most doctors refuse to perform it on women with children under 40 and childless women regardless of age so it's not really a practical option for most.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2353 on: February 29, 2020, 07:52:48 AM »
The number of pads and tampons increase dramatically in the last few years, however!

Out of curiosity, could you potentially do the perma-birth control method there where periods are skipped entirely, or would that cause issues at that point?

I know that my doctor offered me an tubal/ablation last time that, in theory, would stop my periods permanently.  I currently respond well to the implant, but if that ever changes I'll consider the surgical option.
Sound fancy-pants.  I had tubal years ago, no ablation, and still have all the periods.
Getting medical stuff permanently addressed can also be a hedge against the temporary treatment no longer being covered by insurance, or being banned in the future.

(Or the peace of mind of knowing it's done with, or for this specific case, never having to deal with IUD replacement again - it's definitely not comfortable and some people have chronic pain in that area.)

In theory it is but most doctors refuse to perform it on women with children under 40 and childless women regardless of age so it's not really a practical option for most.
Depends on your region?   I got it done when I was 31.  A friend was refused (childless) at age 26.

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2354 on: February 29, 2020, 08:05:54 AM »

Depends on your region?   I got it done when I was 31.  A friend was refused (childless) at age 26.

It depends on your doctor.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2355 on: February 29, 2020, 11:51:59 AM »

It probably depends on location and the individual doctors, but there are official best practice guidelines and in my country I know they state that best practice generally means no sterilisation under 30 at all, for childless women and/or single women and a lot of doctors are even more careful than those guidelines.

Of course those are only guidelines and doctors can make their own choices but when you don't follow guidelines you could be liable for medical malpractice in the future. I have several female friends who have tried to get sterilized but none have succeeded yet. So they instead sent their husbands to the doctor and they got a vasectomy really easily.

One of my friends in particular has 3 kids and has a medical condition where a future pregnancy will likely be life threatening. She wasn't able to get a sterilisation based on the argument that maybe years from now new treatment would be invented that would allow her to get pregnant again. They don't want more kids even if a medical breakthrough would happen....

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2356 on: February 29, 2020, 12:17:24 PM »

It probably depends on location and the individual doctors, but there are official best practice guidelines and in my country I know they state that best practice generally means no sterilisation under 30 at all, for childless women and/or single women and a lot of doctors are even more careful than those guidelines.

Of course those are only guidelines and doctors can make their own choices but when you don't follow guidelines you could be liable for medical malpractice in the future. I have several female friends who have tried to get sterilized but none have succeeded yet. So they instead sent their husbands to the doctor and they got a vasectomy really easily.

One of my friends in particular has 3 kids and has a medical condition where a future pregnancy will likely be life threatening. She wasn't able to get a sterilisation based on the argument that maybe years from now new treatment would be invented that would allow her to get pregnant again. They don't want more kids even if a medical breakthrough would happen....

I wouldnít be so enraged about stuff like this if they said ďbest practicesĒ means no sterilization for anyone under 30 no matter the gender.

But of course, that would be crazy...
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 04:40:13 PM by Kris »

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2357 on: February 29, 2020, 03:00:56 PM »

I wouldnít be so enraged about stuff like this said ďbest practicesĒ means no sterilization for anyone under 30 no matter the gender.

You can imagine how my friend's story ends.
Because she wasn't able to get a sterilisation, she sent her husband to the doctor. The doctor asked how many kids he had, was he sure about the procedure, was he confident he didn't just want more kids from this relationship but no more kids at all? Yes? Ok, what about next week? He was out of the door with an appointment in 10 minutes.

Now, those are useful questions, sterilisation is serious business, but I also get so pissed off that women are treated like they don't have brains. I'm sure some people regret sterilisation (male and female) just like some people regret having kids (make and female) and it makes sense for a doctor to ask questions, especially when someone is young, but that goes for both genders. I have never heard a man say he was refused a sterilisation.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2358 on: February 29, 2020, 04:49:35 PM »

I wouldnít be so enraged about stuff like this said ďbest practicesĒ means no sterilization for anyone under 30 no matter the gender.

You can imagine how my friend's story ends.
Because she wasn't able to get a sterilisation, she sent her husband to the doctor. The doctor asked how many kids he had, was he sure about the procedure, was he confident he didn't just want more kids from this relationship but no more kids at all? Yes? Ok, what about next week? He was out of the door with an appointment in 10 minutes.

Now, those are useful questions, sterilisation is serious business, but I also get so pissed off that women are treated like they don't have brains. I'm sure some people regret sterilisation (male and female) just like some people regret having kids (make and female) and it makes sense for a doctor to ask questions, especially when someone is young, but that goes for both genders. I have never heard a man say he was refused a sterilisation.

You're neglecting the fact that female steralisation is major abdominal surgery. Male steralisation is day surgery, you don't even have to have a general anesthetic. Doctors are rightly opposed to people signing up for major surgery with all of the risks associated unless there is a very good reason - and not wanting children is not a good reason until other avenues of accomplishing this have been exhausted. Bear in mind that the abdomen is the most risky place for surgery - there are multiple structures, sources of infection inside as well as out, and stuff in there MOVES on the operating table. Think all the risks of any surgery plus extreme infection risk, adhesions, long recovery etc. 

Sandi_k

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2359 on: February 29, 2020, 04:52:44 PM »
^^^^ Only if it's done as a hysterectomy. Snipping the Fallopian tubes is done via laparoscopy.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2360 on: February 29, 2020, 07:38:24 PM »
^^^^ Only if it's done as a hysterectomy. Snipping the Fallopian tubes is done via laparoscopy.

Still a general, still an overnight stay, and still an invasive surgical procedure in the abdomen. You get a small infection from this you are in a VERY different place from a man who gets a small infection from a vasectomy. People treat this stuff like it's no drama because we generally don't kill people in surgery anymore. However, that doesn't reflect the recovery and issues in recovery at all. Abdominal surgery is a big deal.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2361 on: February 29, 2020, 08:06:19 PM »
No overnight stay.   In at 7am, out at 2pm.  I came in by myself, but I think I had to have someone pick me up.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2362 on: March 01, 2020, 01:35:16 AM »

Still a general, still an overnight stay, and still an invasive surgical procedure in the abdomen. You get a small infection from this you are in a VERY different place from a man who gets a small infection from a vasectomy. People treat this stuff like it's no drama because we generally don't kill people in surgery anymore. However, that doesn't reflect the recovery and issues in recovery at all. Abdominal surgery is a big deal.

I've been told it's possible to combine this with a C-section, so that would require no extra abdominal surgery in many cases.

Of course surgery is always something to be careful about, but I don't think sterilization of the male partner is something that can ever replace sterilization of the female herself - if the woman is the one who doesn't want or medically shouldn't go through pregnancy she should have the option for permanent anticonception, not the male she is currently with.

I just checked the official guidelines in my country and they state that there is no randomized study available that compares the safety of female sterilization to other methods of birth control, that sterilization is generally safe and the general anesthetic is the biggest risk factor.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2363 on: March 01, 2020, 04:41:08 AM »

I've been told it's possible to combine this with a C-section, so that would require no extra abdominal surgery in many cases.

Of course surgery is always something to be careful about, but I don't think sterilization of the male partner is something that can ever replace sterilization of the female herself - if the woman is the one who doesn't want or medically shouldn't go through pregnancy she should have the option for permanent anticonception, not the male she is currently with.

I just checked the official guidelines in my country and they state that there is no randomized study available that compares the safety of female sterilization to other methods of birth control, that sterilization is generally safe and the general anesthetic is the biggest risk factor.

A C section is MASSIVE surgery. You could combine anything with it. Hell, lop a leg off and it's not that much more serious! It wasn't that long ago that C sections killed 100% of patients. Even today, although obviously the survival rate is nearly 100%, the post op is not a lot of fun for many people. Infections are common, scarring and strictures are common, internal adhesions that cause ongoing pain are very common, hormonal issues can be common depending on the surgery. None of this stuff is walk in/walk out, regardless of anecdotal cases.

Surgical sterilisation IS generally safe. The surgical issues are rare. The post op recovery issues are not. Which do you think hospitals use to let you know the safety of their procedures?

Chemical sterilisation of women is an option that men don't have. That's the point you seem to be willingly missing. You can have an subdermal implant, you can take a pill, half a dozen other options. I'm not even including shitty options like IUDs. Any of those is ALWAYS preferable to surgery. Of course the option to get pregnant or not should be in the hands of women. No one is disagreeing with that. But there better be a damn good reason why you would subject a patient to that risk when there are other very good options available. And if surgery comes down to being the only realistic option, let's see if the male partner will take one for the team first. Women don't have to have surgery to manage birth control. So why the hell would you? (Not including particular medical issues that really do make surgery the best option)

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2364 on: March 01, 2020, 08:54:07 AM »
I loved my basic civic (2010) - but like if you are willing to spend $800 on a car, why not get a better car? IDK this seems crazy.

In my part of the country that's a comfortable house payment.
You can sleep in a car but you can't drive a house!

Oh yeah??!?!?!  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3iC9CDlaV8

Lol that's awesome.  I appreciate that he's also building a lightweight racing shed as well.

kenner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2365 on: March 01, 2020, 01:38:28 PM »

And yet 'abdominal surgery is a big deal' is NOT what you hear from doctors (at least it's not what I heard, and it sounds like my experience hasn't been unique).  Instead it's  'But maybe you'll want a baby later' or 'But what if you marry someone who wants kids?'.  Because obviously as a woman I can't be trusted to know my own mind.

If the issue is the extent of the surgery, fine.  Make the discussion about that.  Stop the bullshit reasoning that means that doctors don't even take the request from women seriously.

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2366 on: March 01, 2020, 01:52:06 PM »

And yet 'abdominal surgery is a big deal' is NOT what you hear from doctors (at least it's not what I heard, and it sounds like my experience hasn't been unique).  Instead it's  'But maybe you'll want a baby later' or 'But what if you marry someone who wants kids?'.  Because obviously as a woman I can't be trusted to know my own mind.

If the issue is the extent of the surgery, fine.  Make the discussion about that.  Stop the bullshit reasoning that means that doctors don't even take the request from women seriously.

These days, they tend to do tubal implants, which do not require general anesthesia and is an out patient procedure. This is what I was asking about in my late 30s when I got a lot of hemming and hawing.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2367 on: March 01, 2020, 02:26:10 PM »

These days, they tend to do tubal implants, which do not require general anesthesia and is an out patient procedure. This is what I was asking about in my late 30s when I got a lot of hemming and hawing.

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy in my early forties. The conversation with the doctor only moved forward toward him being open to scheduling the procedure after I told him my husband had already had a vasectomy.

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2368 on: March 01, 2020, 02:30:15 PM »

Even when there's a solid medical reason to do the hysterectemy, doctors still often refuse because babies.  My coworker is 35 with severe PCOS, and has asked multiple times to have her ovaries removed, as it currently causes her a lot of pain.  The cysts are large enough that it's unlikely she'd even be able to get pregnant if she wanted to, and still the doctors insist "what if you change your mind?"  She's an adult, she's not in a relationship, she doesn't want a relationship, she doesn't ever want children, and probably couldn't have them if she wanted them, and still they won't do it.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #2369 on: March 01, 2020, 08:24:40 PM »
We are in California. When I went to a doctor for a consult on a tubal ligation, I asked if my husband needed to sign something before I got it done. The doctor laughed and was like "Hell no. What's your husband got to do with it?" I thought that was pleasantly liberated.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2370 on: March 01, 2020, 10:29:18 PM »

Even when there's a solid medical reason to do the hysterectemy, doctors still often refuse because babies.  My coworker is 35 with severe PCOS, and has asked multiple times to have her ovaries removed, as it currently causes her a lot of pain.  The cysts are large enough that it's unlikely she'd even be able to get pregnant if she wanted to, and still the doctors insist "what if you change your mind?"  She's an adult, she's not in a relationship, she doesn't want a relationship, she doesn't ever want children, and probably couldn't have them if she wanted them, and still they won't do it.

Sigh. That doctor sounds like an idiot, because of what they said. The decision itself was right. Removing ovaries brings up all sorts of hormonal issues and various issues related to that like heart disease, stroke, bone density, some cancers etc etc. As well as that, PCOS is a manageable condition that can change really significantly over time. There are absolutely women with PCOS who had ovaries removed at 30 and regretted that at 35. And not always because of babies. There are absolutely women who have enormous issues with PCOS in their 20s but it's far more settled in their 30s. Or vice versa. Your friend probably needs to be referred to a specialist so she can be better managed without surgery. No one should have to live in pain.

Monerexia

• Stubble
« Reply #2371 on: March 01, 2020, 11:06:41 PM »
I keep clicking the updates hoping to find something here that someone overheard at work.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2372 on: March 01, 2020, 11:29:31 PM »
I keep clicking the updates hoping to find something here that someone overheard at work.

We're all retired though

Monerexia

• Stubble
« Reply #2373 on: March 01, 2020, 11:45:44 PM »

We're all retired though

And this puts you in the running for Non-Sequitur of the Month--don't worry though it's early days someone is sure to best you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2374 on: March 02, 2020, 02:18:57 AM »

We're all retired though

And this puts you in the running for Non-Sequitur of the Month--don't worry though it's early days someone is sure to best you.

If we are retired, sequitur that we do not overhear thing at work.  Donít worry, itís late here so maybe Iím reading too much into your comment

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2375 on: March 02, 2020, 05:26:40 AM »

We're all retired though
I'm not retired, but all my coworkers are pretty good with their money, so I sadly have little to contribute.

firstmatedavy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2376 on: March 02, 2020, 06:43:59 AM »

If it's important to you and you have the means, the solution is to fire your doctor. (Or more realistically, go to a different doctor for that one thing.)

I know there's a lot of people for whom this is too difficult or not worth the effort - I'm coming from a place of anger at medical gatekeeping, no one *should* have to switch doctors to get the care they need. But sometimes it's seriously worth it. (I've never done it for sterilization, but for stuff like getting surgery for something my first doctor wanted to keep treating with medications that weren't working.)

Reading everyone's stories, I'm so mad about this.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:53:56 AM by firstmatedavy »

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2377 on: March 02, 2020, 06:52:54 AM »

If it's important to you and you have the means, the solution is to fire your doctor. (Or more realistically, go to a different doctor for that one thing.)

I know there's a lot of people for whom this is too difficult or not worth the effort - I'm coming from a place of anger at medical gatekeeping, no one *should* have to switch doctors to get the care they need. But sometimes it's seriously worth it. (I've never done it for sterilization, but for stuff like getting surgery for something my first doctor wanted to keep treating with medications that weren't working.) I'm not sure how one finds a doctor willing to do a certain procedure without having to go to a ridiculous number of appointments, but I wonder if that's something the internet would help with? That's where I found a provider for the one other thing I needed that people tend to have feelings about.

This is assuming that you live somewhere that finding a new doctor isn't a burden.  In my town, we had three OBGYNs.  One of them had been in business so long that she delivered me and hasn't taken new patients in years.  The other two are more or less the same in terms of what services they offer to whom (for example, both are notorious for refusing to schedule anatomy scans until after the 20 week mark which makes terminating a pregnancy more difficult to obtain if something shows up on that scan).  The next closest doctor was 30 minutes away.  Of course, now that the hospital is closed they've all moved their offices to the next town over so there are a handful of other choices, but none truly local anymore.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2378 on: March 02, 2020, 10:47:43 AM »

We're all retired though

Not me. I just come here for a preview of retired life... Wishful thinking. Getting there though.

Monerexia

• Stubble
« Reply #2379 on: March 02, 2020, 01:21:39 PM »

We're all retired though

If we are retired, sequitur that we do not overhear thing at work.  Donít worry, itís late here so maybe Iím reading too much into your comment

Well this is Overheard at Work thread, and whenever I click recently I get Obstetrics and Urology haha

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2380 on: March 02, 2020, 01:55:32 PM »

A C section is MASSIVE surgery. You could combine anything with it. Hell, lop a leg off and it's not that much more serious! It wasn't that long ago that C sections killed 100% of patients. Even today, although obviously the survival rate is nearly 100%, the post op is not a lot of fun for many people.
[...]

Chemical sterilisation of women is an option that men don't have. That's the point you seem to be willingly missing. You can have an subdermal implant, you can take a pill, half a dozen other options. I'm not even including shitty options like IUDs. Any of those is ALWAYS preferable to surgery. Of course the option to get pregnant or not should be in the hands of women. No one is disagreeing with that. But there better be a damn good reason why you would subject a patient to that risk when there are other very good options available. And if surgery comes down to being the only realistic option, let's see if the male partner will take one for the team first. Women don't have to have surgery to manage birth control. So why the hell would you? (Not including particular medical issues that really do make surgery the best option)

I don't really think this is a fair representation of what I said. I certainly never said that sterilisation is preferable to other forms of contraception. It's certainly not - sterilisation means you're going back to natural periods and many women don't want that. I haven't heard of sterilisation being the nr 1 preferable option for anyone. Actually according to my own doctor, the pill, if used correctly, is safer to prevent pregnancy than sterilisation.

But taking hormones isn't an option for loads of women - I don't know any statistics but just in my group of friends 4 ladies that I know of have been told by their doctor they can't have hormonal birth control anymore. And outside of sterilisation there are few other reliable non-hormonal options. I have a friend who used an app to predict her fertile days (spoiler: yes she got pregnant) and another friend used a women's condom, but apparantly that's a much bigger hassle than a condom for men. I think all women understand the fear of pregnancy and not having access to a reliable form of contraception that you can control must be terrifying. Especially if there's a medical risk in case you get pregnant again. One advantage of living in a small country in Europe is that it's easy to get around. I know one person who travelled abroad to get a sterilisation in s less strict country, but you need to have some money to be able to afford that.

I know C-sections are dangerous - my mother and I nearly died from it. But that's not my point. If sterilisation is a procedure that can easily be combined with a C-section, why aren't women offered that option ( at least not generally where I live, hopefully in other countries it's easier)? The particular friend I keep referring to, because I'm still pissed off at how terribly she was treated by her doctors - she was told never to get pregnant again and that she couldn't have a sterilisation during her C-section because she might regret it during the same conversation that she was having after an unplanned pregnancy because she isn't allowed to take hormones and condoms failed. They already had more kids than they planned for, medically advised not to get pregnant and not a lot of reliable options to prevent pregnancy. I don't know a better case for sterilisation than this friend, and she didn't get it because she was too young (early 30s) so she may regret it.

Of course a doctor should warn about regrets for any elective procedure, but regret shouldn't be a legal ground to sue a doctor. You don't sue your tattoo artist when you regret that.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2381 on: March 02, 2020, 02:25:07 PM »

We're all retired though

Well this is Overheard at Work thread, and whenever I click recently I get Obstetrics and Urology haha

We had a young woman in our office who was denied implant birth control by her doctor because ďIf you can swallow a pill, then youíll take a pill.Ē She was career and education focused, trying to get established on her own financially and wanted the security of the implant during a time in her life when it wasnít easy for her to take daily pills.

We had another applicant who told us in an interview that the reason she wanted to leave her old job was because her boss was pushing her to stop taking birth control due to her bossís religious beliefs. That is certainly not her bossís business and she eventually ended up unemployed then on a different career path largely due to that.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2382 on: March 02, 2020, 02:34:06 PM »

We're all retired though

Careful, you're not allowed to think Obstetrics and Urology are gross.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2383 on: March 02, 2020, 02:36:00 PM »

We're all retired though

We had a young woman in our office who was denied implant birth control by her doctor because ďIf you can swallow a pill, then youíll take a pill.Ē She was career and education focused, trying to get established on her own financially and wanted the security of the implant during a time in her life when it wasnít easy for her to take daily pills.

We had another applicant who told us in an interview that the reason she wanted to leave her old job was because her boss was pushing her to stop taking birth control due to her bossís religious beliefs. That is certainly not her bossís business and she eventually ended up unemployed then on a different career path largely due to that.

A boss who is happy for a female employee to get pregnant? Now that's a first.

I use birth control and am medically not able to have kids. One time when someone started the bullshit speech about how women should have kids because God created us to be mothers, I said, well, He didn't choose to bless us that way. That was a very succesful conversation ender.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2384 on: March 02, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »

We're all retired though

"Not allowed"

Goodness, how fragile.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2385 on: March 02, 2020, 03:11:44 PM »

We're all retired though

"Not allowed"

Goodness, how fragile.

Why would anyone thing Obstetrics and Urology are gross?  Important basic biological functions.  And a boss thinking someone should not be on birth control seems to be perfect for this thread.  Yikes!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2386 on: March 02, 2020, 08:13:08 PM »
Broke colleague who swings between "look at my new shoes" and "ugh, can't afford to buy food till payday" is now talking about buying a dog.

A $3500 dog.

She lives in a unit, pets aren't permitted and she already has a cat.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2387 on: March 02, 2020, 08:23:57 PM »
Broke colleague who swings between "look at my new shoes" and "ugh, can't afford to buy food till payday" is now talking about buying a dog.

A $3500 dog.

She lives in a unit, pets aren't permitted and she already has a cat.

If only there was a gold medal for being stupid, she could sell hers and solve her money problems.   For a few months, anyway.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2388 on: March 02, 2020, 09:12:07 PM »

We're all retired though

"Not allowed"

Goodness, how fragile.

Why would anyone thing Obstetrics and Urology are gross?  Important basic biological functions.  And a boss thinking someone should not be on birth control seems to be perfect for this thread.  Yikes!

Eh I think proctology is gross and thatís also related to important basic biological functions

Are we not allowed to be fragile now?  Sounds a bit a like social darwinism

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2389 on: March 02, 2020, 09:20:59 PM »

We're all retired though

"Not allowed"

Goodness, how fragile.

Eh I think proctology is gross and thatís also related to important basic biological functions

Are we not allowed to be fragile now?  Sounds a bit a like social darwinism

I don't about "being allowed" to be fragile, and granted this could have gone elsewhere, but knowing the basics is important to our health.  Ignorance is not bliss. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2390 on: March 02, 2020, 09:54:21 PM »
I thought tubal ligation was common after having your last kid right after birth. It was for my generation if you had at least two kids. Women should be in charge with no male interference even if you never had kids.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2391 on: March 02, 2020, 10:42:36 PM »
Here is how this thread topic got started, in case people have forgotten...

Anyone else hear the craziest things while at work?

Today it was, "Well the commutes gonna be a lot longer, but it was only $100 more per month for a 3 bedroom"

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2392 on: March 04, 2020, 12:59:08 PM »
CW:  I like getting paid every two weeks.  It's so much easier to plan that way
me:  ...
CW:  Once I worked somewhere that they paid twice a month - the 15th and the 30th.  I hated it!
me: ...
CW:  It's so hard to plan around that.
CW:  If the 15th fell on a Sunday, you didn't get the check until Monday!
CW:  I used to go out a lot more, and you can imagine if I didn't get paid until Monday, then that made going out all that much more difficult
me:  {don't ask, don't ask, don't engage and maybe he'll just stop talking}

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2393 on: March 04, 2020, 03:10:27 PM »
CW:  Once I worked somewhere that they paid twice a month - the 15th and the 30th.  I hated it!
CW:  I used to go out a lot more, and you can imagine if I didn't get paid until Monday, then that made going out all that much more difficult

Some people can't seem to get past basic arithmetic.  If you told this person that credit cards offer 30 days interest free, you'd probably see them maxed out in days.

I would rather be paid twice a month.  The three paycheck months are kind of annoying.

fell-like-rain

• Stubble
« Reply #2394 on: March 04, 2020, 05:01:18 PM »
One of my coworkers was complaining today about all the money they spend. $10 Uber each way to the train station, $8 commuter rail each way, $15 lunch... ďIím spending almost $50 a day just to be in this office!Ē

I suggested biking to the train station might be an option, and he said ďnah, itís way too far- almost 2 miles! And Iíd rather pay $10 for the Uber than spend a thousand dollars on a bike.Ē And then started complaining about how terrible the train service is and that we should call our legislators to demand improvements.

I thought about mentioning that my bike cost what he spends on Ubers in 2 weeks, or that even an unfit person could manage 2 miles in 15 minutes, but some conversations are not worth having.

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2395 on: March 04, 2020, 05:05:04 PM »
One of my coworkers was complaining today about all the money they spend. $10 Uber each way to the train station, $8 commuter rail each way, $15 lunch... ďIím spending almost $50 a day just to be in this office!Ē

I suggested biking to the train station might be an option, and he said ďnah, itís way too far- almost 2 miles! And Iíd rather pay $10 for the Uber than spend a thousand dollars on a bike.Ē And then started complaining about how terrible the train service is and that we should call our legislators to demand improvements.

I thought about mentioning that my bike cost what he spends on Ubers in 2 weeks, or that even an unfit person could manage 2 miles in 15 minutes, but some conversations are not worth having.

It depends on the 2 miles. I could make it to the train station on my bike, but I would just be walking it up hill to get home. Even the super fit ones who bike it on a regular basis don't make it look easy!

scrunchythief

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2396 on: March 04, 2020, 05:11:10 PM »

Some people can't seem to get past basic arithmetic.  If you told this person that credit cards offer 30 days interest free, you'd probably see them maxed out in days.

I would rather be paid twice a month.  The three paycheck months are kind of annoying.

Ugh, I can't imagine how stressed I'd be by living like this.  I've never been paycheck to paycheck, so it's never mattered much to me how frequently I was paid.  I'm curious though, @Wrenchturner why is it annoying to be paid three times a month?  Does your employer not have direct deposit?

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2397 on: March 04, 2020, 05:25:34 PM »

Yikes. That person wants to be broke. I spent $40 on my bike via Craigslist. A 2-mile ride is easy.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2398 on: March 04, 2020, 05:43:25 PM »

Ugh, I can't imagine how stressed I'd be by living like this.  I've never been paycheck to paycheck, so it's never mattered much to me how frequently I was paid.  I'm curious though, @Wrenchturner why is it annoying to be paid three times a month?  Does your employer not have direct deposit?

I have direct deposit, but having my income jump by 50% for ~three months out of the year is annoying because it means I have to go out of my way to invest it.

Davnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2399 on: March 04, 2020, 09:30:04 PM »

Ugh, I can't imagine how stressed I'd be by living like this.  I've never been paycheck to paycheck, so it's never mattered much to me how frequently I was paid.

I've only ever worried about the timing of a pay check once when I didn't have enough to pay rent. Luckily the landlord let me pay late with no fee.

It was so stressful.