Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 307237 times)

ColoAndy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #1700 on: October 16, 2019, 03:33:57 PM »
Was discussing kids with a coworker.  He said he and his wife give their 15 year old son $50 a week for lunch.  This is a good lesson for him because he has to keep it at $10 a day or less.  This is $200 a month on lunches....which doesn't include weekend lunches...for one child.  They will do the same for their daughter when she enters high school next year.  This same gentleman has not put any money in his 401(k) for years (3% match) because he can't bear to see the size of his take home pay reduced.  This man and his wife make close to $200k a year.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #1701 on: October 16, 2019, 04:37:35 PM »
Was discussing kids with a coworker.  He said he and his wife give their 15 year old son $50 a week for lunch.  This is a good lesson for him because he has to keep it at $10 a day or less.  This is $200 a month on lunches....which doesn't include weekend lunches...for one child.  They will do the same for their daughter when she enters high school next year.  This same gentleman has not put any money in his 401(k) for years (3% match) because he can't bear to see the size of his take home pay reduced.  This man and his wife make close to $200k a year.
Good grief, what is this kid buying for lunch? At my kidís elementary school breakfast at the cafeteria is $2 and lunch is $3.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1702 on: October 17, 2019, 02:36:16 AM »
Good grief, what is this kid buying for lunch? At my kidís elementary school breakfast at the cafeteria is $2 and lunch is $3.

Yes, imagine these kids learning that this spending amount for lunch is normal. They will probably continue to spend that much when they start working themselves.

RWTL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1703 on: October 17, 2019, 03:34:05 AM »
PTF

ColoAndy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1704 on: October 17, 2019, 12:05:36 PM »
The school lunch is between usually between 3-5 dollars but that's not cool.  Going out to Chipotle, Subway, or Taco Bell is usually the order of the day.

kanga1622

• Stubble
« Reply #1705 on: October 17, 2019, 12:51:57 PM »
The school lunch is between usually between 3-5 dollars but that's not cool.  Going out to Chipotle, Subway, or Taco Bell is usually the order of the day.

Another good reason my kids take home packed lunches every day. We are just teaching them to brown bag it when they are adults too. :)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1706 on: October 17, 2019, 03:57:58 PM »
A minimalist-clean-freak-yet-consumerist friend of mine has told me that he wants his next car (he leases) to be a $70,000 pickup truck.  He works in an office all day, no calluses on his hands.  He wants the pickup because he can "throw the kids' dirty sports things in the back in the covered bed and not stink up the SUV after a game."  He has one child, age 3, no sports teams.

A carrier rack cargo top is out of the question?

1. toss is in the hatchback like the rest of us.
2. little kids' equipment doesn't stink too bad until they hit puberty so this guy will have used up his truck (and likely one more, given his non-MMM), before needing to keep any stink out.

Black plastic trash bag $0.30 vs $70,000. If you reuse the bag $0.15, $0.10 if you use it 3 times.

VancouverSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1707 on: October 17, 2019, 06:53:44 PM »
I'm new to Mustachianism, but today I remembered something that used to happen all the time at an old workplace of mine, which was on the 9th floor of a building.

Quite frequently, the elevators were out of order. So on those mornings, someone would send an email around the entire office saying "Forget Leg Day! Elevators not working!" I had to ask what this meant - they explained that they were telling people who usually go to the gym to work out before work that they could skip the gym for today and walk up the stairs instead.

Because you can't just do that every damn day????

(I thought it was funny at the time, but now I'm a Mustachian, I see just how crazy that is!)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1708 on: October 17, 2019, 08:31:57 PM »
I'm new to Mustachianism, but today I remembered something that used to happen all the time at an old workplace of mine, which was on the 9th floor of a building.

Quite frequently, the elevators were out of order. So on those mornings, someone would send an email around the entire office saying "Forget Leg Day! Elevators not working!" I had to ask what this meant - they explained that they were telling people who usually go to the gym to work out before work that they could skip the gym for today and walk up the stairs instead.

(I thought it was funny at the time, but now I'm a Mustachian, I see just how crazy that is!)

With gymbros, my understanding is "leg day" means you are basically a cripple for the rest of the day because you went so hard that you are sore as hell.   In that case, taking the stairs up might be quite painful and you might want to skip leg day.

six-car-habit

• Bristles
« Reply #1709 on: October 18, 2019, 02:06:35 AM »
Does everyone check their work emails in the morning before they even get to the building ?

I suppose if you don't check emails bright and early, you get to the building , the elevators don't work, you have to walk up stairs, just like everyone else...

Maybe it was actually a humblebrag about the "notifier" working out that week ?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1710 on: October 18, 2019, 02:19:31 AM »
"Why would we wash dishes when we can just use paper plates from Costco, amiright?"

No. No that is not right.

ETA: This was in reference to regular home use
FWIW, I have some relatives that have actually done the math of paper vs reusable plates, and it's not as clear-cut as you might immediately think.  When you consider the acquisition cost, the cost of water, electricity, detergent, and the time spent washing and putting away dishes, the gap narrows considerably.

That is some pretty funny math

1 Acquisition Cost-- can you imagine not owning a single dinner plate that is not disposable?  Most people have a set (as a gift usually) and then buy the paper plates too.   In reality, most people would buy a set of dishes for $30, and have it last 10 -15 years.  $0.01/dinner

2.  Time spent washing dishes is free because I don't pay anyone to do that for me.   When I am too busy (making money) they pile up or I ask someone else to wash them (for free).

3. Water  / Electricity  $0.17/load.  Soap $0.17/load = $0.34/load.   Also - do you buy plastic cutlery and how do you get the pots and pans clean,  serving items without running a dishwasher..?   What about cups?   

Plates, cups, cutlery (disposable) for 6 persons:$0.70.  (2 cents per plate, 5 cent cup, 3 cent cutlery, plus one trash bag at $0.10 per meal)
Cost to run dishwasher, plates $0.35

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1711 on: October 18, 2019, 08:53:06 AM »

I'd love to see those prices at the school cafeteria... lunch for my kindergartener is 5$, and that includes a lunch like 'soup and grilled cheese' (I have a moral objection to paying 5$ for soup and grilled cheese).

trashtalk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1712 on: October 18, 2019, 10:21:15 AM »
My dad is always astounded that he can pay $48 for a salad at a restaurant a couple of miles away where from families are paying $0.40 a day for reduced-price school lunch.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1713 on: October 18, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »

Yes, imagine these kids learning that this spending amount for lunch is normal. They will probably continue to spend that much when they start working themselves.

Worse yet, imagine these kids learn that $10 per lunch is being deprived, then start making their own money, spending $15-$20 per lunch, and wondering why they have no money left at the end of the month...

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #1714 on: October 18, 2019, 10:24:49 AM »
The school my kid goes to is high poverty. I donít know if that has anything to do with it or not.

I was saying to my husband last night how odd it is that her school is a Title I in a neighborhood where every house is easily over $1M. Funny world we live in.

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Stubble
« Reply #1715 on: October 18, 2019, 04:48:09 PM »

With gymbros, my understanding is "leg day" means you are basically a cripple for the rest of the day because you went so hard that you are sore as hell.   In that case, taking the stairs up might be quite painful and you might want to skip leg day.

I work in a 20 story building and as soon as the weather gets cold I do the stairs from the lobby to 20 twice a day for the exercise. It kills me to see my coworkers take the elevator to go up 1 story but then talk about their gym workout.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1716 on: October 18, 2019, 11:19:50 PM »

I work in a 20 story building and as soon as the weather gets cold I do the stairs from the lobby to 20 twice a day for the exercise. It kills me to see my coworkers take the elevator to go up 1 story but then talk about their gym workout.

I fully agree with getting exercise in throughout the day (I'd never idle for 5 minutes just to get a parking spot 20 feet closer to the entrance) but I do sweat profusely so I can understand why some people would want to separate their job from their workout.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1717 on: October 19, 2019, 04:57:23 AM »

Um... I find stairs really difficult with bad knees - multiple dislocations. I use the elevator. I still go to the gym.....

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1718 on: October 19, 2019, 07:23:09 AM »

Um... I find stairs really difficult with bad knees - multiple dislocations. I use the elevator. I still go to the gym.....

Bad knees and stairs, oh my.  When I moved to an apartment one requirement was to be no more than 6 floors up.  I can evacuate on my own in case of an emergency.  Higher than that and I would be waiting for emergency personnel.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #1719 on: October 19, 2019, 08:14:19 AM »
I fully agree with getting exercise in throughout the day (I'd never idle for 5 minutes just to get a parking spot 20 feet closer to the entrance) but I do sweat profusely so I can understand why some people would want to separate their job from their workout.

Ha - I often go on a brisk walk at lunch, and then if it's warm, take the elevator back up to my 3rd floor office.  The stairs push me right over the edge into profuse sweating after being outside.  Not a problem in the winter though, so I have to catch myself on the urge to be lazy once the weather cools.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1720 on: October 19, 2019, 10:08:04 AM »

This reminds me of my workplace, where my problem is that I cannot reach the 3rd floor (where my office is) from the lobby via the stairs.  They refuse to allow entrance, only exit, via the 3rd floor stairway door.  I have asked that they install a key card reader (we all have them!) to allow entrance only via key card, and they refuse.  I would LOVE to be able to walk up my 3 flights of stairs each day, but alas, I may not.  So I must take the elevator.  So silly.

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Stubble
« Reply #1721 on: October 19, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »

Bad knees and stairs, oh my.  When I moved to an apartment one requirement was to be no more than 6 floors up.  I can evacuate on my own in case of an emergency.  Higher than that and I would be waiting for emergency personnel.

My real issue is that the woman who constantly does this spend a small fortune at the rock climbing gym to get her exercise.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1722 on: October 21, 2019, 06:11:43 PM »
A minimalist-clean-freak-yet-consumerist friend of mine has told me that he wants his next car (he leases) to be a $70,000 pickup truck.  He works in an office all day, no calluses on his hands.  He wants the pickup because he can "throw the kids' dirty sports things in the back in the covered bed and not stink up the SUV after a game."  He has one child, age 3, no sports teams.

2. little kids' equipment doesn't stink too bad until they hit puberty so this guy will have used up his truck (and likely one more, given his non-MMM), before needing to keep any stink out.

Black plastic trash bag $0.30 vs $70,000. If you reuse the bag $0.15, $0.10 if you use it 3 times.

A trailer hitch cargo platform is a great way to haul dirty things for $150. Cheaper than a different vehicle or a trailer. Easier to park too. Waterproof bags are available too. We've vacationed that way when the car wasn't big enough. Rooftop box had more appeal but was more $$$.

Gremlin

• Stubble
« Reply #1723 on: October 21, 2019, 10:36:58 PM »

A trailer hitch cargo platform is a great way to haul dirty things for $150. Cheaper than a different vehicle or a trailer. Easier to park too. Waterproof bags are available too. We've vacationed that way when the car wasn't big enough. Rooftop box had more appeal but was more $$$.

Yes, but this doesn't actually address the issue.  He wants the $70,000 pickup.  Everything else is a false justification to post-rationalise the fact that he wants the $70,000 pickup.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1724 on: October 22, 2019, 12:20:55 PM »

15 yr old boy probably eats more than a little kid... but yeah. I'm going to pretend this kid also has a snack before and after practice, etc. He also goes out with his friends for lunch on occasion I'm guessing.  It COULD teach him a good budgetary lesson. My mom gave me a fixed amount "for lunch" (I think it was $20/week) and if I made a PB&J and ate that instead, I could pocket the money. Or I could buy school lunch, or I could go out with friends. The 3% match throw away is way more horrific than the amount spent on lunch (maybe).

DaMa

• Stubble
« Reply #1725 on: October 22, 2019, 03:59:40 PM »

15 yr old boy probably eats more than a little kid... but yeah. I'm going to pretend this kid also has a snack before and after practice, etc. He also goes out with his friends for lunch on occasion I'm guessing.  It COULD teach him a good budgetary lesson. My mom gave me a fixed amount "for lunch" (I think it was $20/week) and if I made a PB&J and ate that instead, I could pocket the money. Or I could buy school lunch, or I could go out with friends. The 3% match throw away is way more horrific than the amount spent on lunch (maybe).

My kids got $20 a week when they were in high school.  Lunch was $2.25, and I got tired of keeping enough singles and quarters around.  I had hoped they'd make a PB&J and keep the money, but they used the extra to buy cookies and soda. 

They also got their age in allowance - 1/2 in cash, 1/2 in the bank.  I made that an even $10 at some point due to the same singles issue.  So they got $30 a week.  This was 2003-2009.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1726 on: October 23, 2019, 05:57:59 AM »

My kids got $20 a week when they were in high school.  Lunch was $2.25, and I got tired of keeping enough singles and quarters around.  I had hoped they'd make a PB&J and keep the money, but they used the extra to buy cookies and soda. 

They also got their age in allowance - 1/2 in cash, 1/2 in the bank.  I made that an even $10 at some point due to the same singles issue.  So they got $30 a week.  This was 2003-2009.

Starting in 7th grade (the point where we transitioned from elementary to HS), mom started giving me $2/day instead of my having a lunch account.  I, of course, just stopped eating lunch for the most part and just tucked the money in my bag.  I walked around with a stack of $1s like a stripper for a whole semester before mom figured it out and started giving me either $5s or $10s each week instead.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1727 on: October 23, 2019, 06:28:41 AM »

We discussed the option at home, but think it is more vulnerable for theft, especially the option with the bag instead of a solid crate.

eav

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1728 on: October 24, 2019, 10:42:40 AM »
Talking to CW about finances, taxes and such...
CW who is 40 years old offhandedly mentions his household makes $130k annually and they spend well over their post-tax earnings.
CW then goes into how bad our 401k plan is, says he only contributes $70 a month with a $30 employer match.

Really wanted to ask him how he thinks he'll be able to retire and what kind of lifestyle he expects on those small contributions...Goes to show people really just don't even think about retirement at all, even the conventional "retire at 62 or 67" sense. 

Also wanted to mention that as a 25 year old my total 401k contributions are over $800 a month and see the look of confusion on his face.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1729 on: October 24, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »
We discussed the option at home, but think it is more vulnerable for theft, especially the option with the bag instead of a solid crate.

You just need to keep moving... ;)

We used it to drive into NYC. The contents of the bag were used clothes and a pillow. The platform was locked to the car.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1730 on: October 25, 2019, 06:36:30 AM »
Talking to CW about finances, taxes and such...
CW who is 40 years old offhandedly mentions his household makes $130k annually and they spend well over their post-tax earnings.
CW then goes into how bad our 401k plan is, says he only contributes $70 a month with a $30 employer match.

Really wanted to ask him how he thinks he'll be able to retire and what kind of lifestyle he expects on those small contributions...Goes to show people really just don't even think about retirement at all, even the conventional "retire at 62 or 67" sense. 

Also wanted to mention that as a 25 year old my total 401k contributions are over $800 a month and see the look of confusion on his face.

God, that is so depressing.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1731 on: October 25, 2019, 06:56:05 AM »
Goes to show people really just don't even think about retirement at all, even the conventional "retire at 62 or 67" sense. 
Not true!   Many of them think about retirement at 62 or 67 all the time.

They just don't think about funding it until they apply for social security and discover that's not going to support their expenses.

My wife told me a story about a work colleague who was nearing retirement age and came back crying after meeting with their TIAA representative.    They had no idea they hadn't saved enough.

That's one reason why I tell people about this stuff.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1732 on: October 25, 2019, 08:03:28 AM »
Goes to show people really just don't even think about retirement at all, even the conventional "retire at 62 or 67" sense. 

They just don't think about funding it until they apply for social security and discover that's not going to support their expenses.

My wife told me a story about a work colleague who was nearing retirement age and came back crying after meeting with their TIAA representative.    They had no idea they hadn't saved enough.

Yeah, tell me about it. Dad wants to retire. Fair, he's 67. But he's also probably going to sit in a chair and do nothing and die within 6 months. Mom's also not eligible for Medicare yet. But once they do retire, they are going to have a very rude shock. I've tried to get them to reduce expenses, but right now they're not willing to. They are not going to be happy when they realize that they will be able to afford restaurants OR cigarettes OR medical. Pick one.

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1733 on: October 25, 2019, 08:42:16 PM »
Overheard on a work forum recently...

A: Hey, is anyone selling a ghost costume? My three year old insists on being a ghost, and Iíve already bought him a skeleton one! Will pay up to $20 for a ghost costume! Please help!
B: Get an old bedsheet and cut two holes in it (eyes). You may need to also shorten it a bit.
A: Thatís my back up plan, but Iíd really like to get him a real costume.

I have half a mind to cut two holes in my old white bedsheet and offer to sell it to them for $20. Just last month, I tried to give it away for free on the work forum and there were no takers.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #1734 on: October 25, 2019, 09:59:37 PM »

A: Hey, is anyone selling a ghost costume? My three year old insists on being a ghost, and Iíve already bought him a skeleton one! Will pay up to $20 for a ghost costume! Please help!
B: Get an old bedsheet and cut two holes in it (eyes). You may need to also shorten it a bit.

I have half a mind to cut two holes in my old white bedsheet and offer to sell it to them for $20. Just last month, I tried to give it away for free on the work forum and there were no takers.

DO IT!! And please update us.

87tweetybirds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1735 on: October 26, 2019, 05:51:01 PM »

Yeah, tell me about it. Dad wants to retire. Fair, he's 67. But he's also probably going to sit in a chair and do nothing and die within 6 months. Mom's also not eligible for Medicare yet. But once they do retire, they are going to have a very rude shock. I've tried to get them to reduce expenses, but right now they're not willing to. They are not going to be happy when they realize that they will be able to afford restaurants OR cigarettes OR medical. Pick one.
Aunt and uncle are facing this. They were told that if they cut expenses and lived on 2/3 of what they had been spending their nest egg+social security might last them 13 years. Uncle and dad are partners on the farm, so I anticipate (because they havenít cut expenses and auntie seems to be spending more if possible because she has more time on her hands) the sale of said farmland within the next 12 years. Thatíll be fine since mom wants dad to retire when heís 65(3 more years) so they can retire together. Mom and dad have a nice nest egg, though mom is hard to convince of this. (350k in retirement funds, and a house theyíll want to downsize from estimateed to be worth 400-500k). Theyíd buy in a lower cost of living area probably something in the 200k range after the farmland and house sold. I tell her all the time she lives on way less than 4% of that now, but she doesnít believe me. She also plans to continue maxing out her 401k for the next 3 years.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1736 on: October 28, 2019, 08:45:47 AM »

That reminds me of the year before my son turned three.  I knew it was going to be the last year before he had an opinion on the matter and I had spent MONTHS scouring the thrift stores to find all the pieces to make his costume.  Three days before Halloween he tells me that he wants to be a pumpkin.  So, I made a deal with him that he could be a pumpkin during the day for the daycare party, but he was going to wear the one I made for trick or treating.  You'd think that finding a pumpkin costume for a toddler wouldn't be that difficult, right?  I couldn't find one anywhere.  Finally, on the afternoon of the 30th I stopped by this weird little shop that always has an assortment of stuff that "fell off the truck" and found a $5 pumpkin costume.  For dogs.  It turns out that a costume made for a large dog will fit a toddler almost perfectly.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1737 on: October 28, 2019, 02:19:55 PM »

That reminds me of the year before my son turned three.  I knew it was going to be the last year before he had an opinion on the matter and I had spent MONTHS scouring the thrift stores to find all the pieces to make his costume.  Three days before Halloween he tells me that he wants to be a pumpkin.  So, I made a deal with him that he could be a pumpkin during the day for the daycare party, but he was going to wear the one I made for trick or treating.  You'd think that finding a pumpkin costume for a toddler wouldn't be that difficult, right?  I couldn't find one anywhere.  Finally, on the afternoon of the 30th I stopped by this weird little shop that always has an assortment of stuff that "fell off the truck" and found a $5 pumpkin costume.  For dogs.  It turns out that a costume made for a large dog will fit a toddler almost perfectly.

Hahaha that's awesome! 

CrabboStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1738 on: October 31, 2019, 06:00:45 PM »
At work today:

CW - Hey, what area did you grow up in?
ME - Oh, XYZ area. Why?
CW - Well, we are looking to buy a home and are open to considering areas that aren't as local.
ME - Oh, neat.
CW - Yeah, it sounds crazy - but I am buying a house with 4 different relatives. Nobody ever believes me when I say that. But we will save so much money if we are all splitting the mortgage/utilities!
ME - (actually thinking I was about to have a worthwhile conversation) Oh, hey, that's awesome. Especially if you have that strong of a relationship with your family.
CW - Yeah, it's just hard. I mean, we are going to have to have a HUGE house to fit us all. At least 6 bedrooms, ya know? Probably more though.

I still really like the sentiment behind it all, but looking for a minimum of 6 bedroom house for a household of 5 just made me laugh on the inside. If the objective was truly saving money...there is a lot of money left on the table there.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1739 on: November 01, 2019, 05:21:31 AM »
At work today:

ME - Oh, XYZ area. Why?
CW - Well, we are looking to buy a home and are open to considering areas that aren't as local.
ME - Oh, neat.
CW - Yeah, it sounds crazy - but I am buying a house with 4 different relatives. Nobody ever believes me when I say that. But we will save so much money if we are all splitting the mortgage/utilities!
ME - (actually thinking I was about to have a worthwhile conversation) Oh, hey, that's awesome. Especially if you have that strong of a relationship with your family.
CW - Yeah, it's just hard. I mean, we are going to have to have a HUGE house to fit us all. At least 6 bedrooms, ya know? Probably more though.

I still really like the sentiment behind it all, but looking for a minimum of 6 bedroom house for a household of 5 just made me laugh on the inside. If the objective was truly saving money...there is a lot of money left on the table there.

I think it's good. Each one has a room and one more for guests. It is not to the liking of everyone to sleep with someone else in the same room, especially if there are noise problems ;) And everyone should have a space just for himself. That may not be such big a thing for extroverts, but for people like me...

But you save (theoretically) a lot on the rest. Of course a house with so many rooms may only be available as a McMansion, which would not save you money.

politenessman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journal
« Reply #1740 on: November 01, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »

I work in a 5 man IT team - 3 of us are working on FIRE. I'm older (54) and realized I had left it too late to RE - I was raised on the 'work until you are 65 and retire with a pension' plan. Took me until my early 50s to figure FIRE out. Since figuring it out and seeing start to work, I've been preaching it to my early 30s co-workers though. They were both amazed when I showed them the math and that both of them could FIRE at about 45.
Showing them this and seeing them get it makes me very happy.

Gremlin

• Stubble
« Reply #1741 on: November 01, 2019, 09:21:25 PM »
At work today:

ME - Oh, XYZ area. Why?
ME - Oh, neat.

I think it's good. Each one has a room and one more for guests. It is not to the liking of everyone to sleep with someone else in the same room, especially if there are noise problems ;) And everyone should have a space just for himself. That may not be such big a thing for extroverts, but for people like me...

But you save (theoretically) a lot on the rest. Of course a house with so many rooms may only be available as a McMansion, which would not save you money.

I think it's a recipe for disaster.  It might appear to make sense now, but circumstances change. 

Are these five people single?  Expecting to stay single forever?  What happens when one of them enters into a long-term relationship?  How does that factor into the plan? 

What happens if one party doesn't meet their ongoing financial obligations re mortgage or utilities? 

Who gets the "best" bedroom and who gets the "dud" room? 

What happens if someone "needs" their equity and wants to sell and the rest don't? 

What if someone decides to move out?  Do they organise a roommate to cover their mortgage expense?  Do YOU organise one?  What if you disagree?

I suspect this kind of thing CAN work, but I reckon the likelihood of it not working must be pretty high...

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1742 on: November 02, 2019, 02:42:32 AM »
At work today:

ME - Oh, XYZ area. Why?
ME - Oh, neat.

I think it's a recipe for disaster.  It might appear to make sense now, but circumstances change. 

Are these five people single?  Expecting to stay single forever?  What happens when one of them enters into a long-term relationship?  How does that factor into the plan? 

What happens if one party doesn't meet their ongoing financial obligations re mortgage or utilities? 

What happens if someone "needs" their equity and wants to sell and the rest don't? 

What if someone decides to move out?  Do they organise a roommate to cover their mortgage expense?  Do YOU organise one?  What if you disagree?

I suspect this kind of thing CAN work, but I reckon the likelihood of it not working must be pretty high...

There was an Australian TV show about a group of friends doing this

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1743 on: November 02, 2019, 02:27:59 PM »
At work today:

ME - Oh, XYZ area. Why?
ME - Oh, neat.

But what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real?

Jouer

• Bristles
« Reply #1744 on: November 04, 2019, 08:33:34 AM »
At work today:

ME - Oh, XYZ area. Why?
ME - Oh, neat.

Same as any small business venture. Write it up in the charter with the help of a lawyer.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1745 on: November 04, 2019, 11:24:05 AM »

But what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real?

I see what you did there.

innkeeper77

• Stubble
« Reply #1746 on: November 04, 2019, 11:47:25 AM »

This reminds me of my workplace, where my problem is that I cannot reach the 3rd floor (where my office is) from the lobby via the stairs.  They refuse to allow entrance, only exit, via the 3rd floor stairway door.  I have asked that they install a key card reader (we all have them!) to allow entrance only via key card, and they refuse.  I would LOVE to be able to walk up my 3 flights of stairs each day, but alas, I may not.  So I must take the elevator.  So silly.

This! I am currently starting to bike my commute. The parking garage is underground, so I go through a no pedestrians door, park, and am forced to take an elevator to the street level (NEXT TO the emergency ALARMED stairs) I then walk across the street to my building, where I can take the stairs multiple stories up. I don't understand, and that elevator is slow, dingy, and scary (in terms of wondering when it will get stuck). Strange decisions.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1747 on: November 04, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »

This! I am currently starting to bike my commute. The parking garage is underground, so I go through a no pedestrians door, park, and am forced to take an elevator to the street level (NEXT TO the emergency ALARMED stairs) I then walk across the street to my building, where I can take the stairs multiple stories up. I don't understand, and that elevator is slow, dingy, and scary (in terms of wondering when it will get stuck). Strange decisions.

Do some jumping jacks or burpees on the elevator

innkeeper77

• Stubble
« Reply #1748 on: November 04, 2019, 08:39:56 PM »
Haha... no :) (It doesn't take very long, and as old as that elevator appears to be... I don't want to give any additional active loading to it!)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1749 on: November 05, 2019, 12:21:50 AM »
Haha... no :) (It doesn't take very long, and as old as that elevator appears to be... I don't want to give any additional active loading to it!)

I have heard from a few people who have been stuck in elevators at work. Usually they get i touch with a person when they use the alarm function. But it can still take some hours to fix the elevator and get them out. Better bring along some food, drink and an empty bottle on the ride, just in case. Luckily I only have 2 staircases at work and I can walk them.