Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 303851 times)

Piglet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #1000 on: July 07, 2019, 03:40:01 PM »
About 7 years ago, I met a lady through work friends who was going through a horrific divorce. Backstory, she was married to her highschool sweetheart for 25+ years and had 5 kids. While I don't think they were crazy spenders, based on several conversations, it was clear they had no financial cushion despite decades of hard work. He was a building contractor specializing in gutting and redoing houses and she worked as a school administrator at the county level. Their kids were married with kids of their own at that point. Shortly after I met her, she filed for divorce after coming home one day and finding her husband at home with a prostitute! Devastated, she moved out of the house into a small 2 bedroom apartment (she needed the second bedroom "for her stuff" - which she piled up to the ceiling in the second bedroom).. She was so financially strapped she had to ask her church for first month's rent and deposit.  Husband begged her to come back, but she had had enough. While married, they could scrape by, but once she moved out, their finances imploded. He fell behind on the mortgage and they lost the home to forclosure. Because they had never had any kind of cushion, she was left with nothing after the divorce.

As time passed, I would see her now and again and thought she was recovering well. She still worked for the county school system (had been with them for close to 15 years at that point, and I knew her apartment wasn't very expensive and she didn't have to come up with a chunk of $$$ to move in since her church had helped her out). Every time I ran into her, she always had a large Starbucks coffee in her hand and would pull up into whatever restaurant parking lot we were meeting at in her Lincoln Navigator.

Imagine my surprise when during one of these lunches she tearfully mentioned that she had just left the garage where she got her vehicle serviced and had insisted the mechanic rotate her rear tires to the front as the front tires had no tread left on them and she didn't have any money to get new tires. As it was winter and we lived in an area that got a fair amount of snow and ice, rotating the back tires to the front was "all she could do at the moment" given her finances.

I very very gently (given everything that she had been through at that point) asked her a few leading questions. 1) any chance your one of your adult kids could help you out? ("No, I don't want to be a burden". 2) can your church help out again? ("No, they said there are others in need, and they already helped with the apartment." 3) maybe a smaller apartment? ("No, I barely have room for all of my stuff as it is.") 4) a part-time job? ("Haven't I worked long and hard enough as it is? I shouldn't have to get a second job!" 5) any way you can sell the Lincoln Navigator and buy a smaller, more efficient car, like a 7 year old Honda Civic or Tercel (like I was driving at the time) where replacing 4 tires would cost the same as replacing 1 tire on the Lincoln Navigator? After all, if you can no longer afford to maintain the vehicle you have and it's no longer safe to drive, maybe you should downsize?

You would have thought I had suggested she harvest her grandkids for organs! She immediately turned and vehemently stated that she had always driven a large vehicle and was never going to be forced into a small car.

I immediately disengaged from the conversation and made a mental note not to park anywhere near her until she got new tires.

Fast forward, a few months after that conversation, she had to move into a smaller 1 bedroom apartment (not sure what she did with her stuff). And then within 2 years, quit her job with the county (I understand she quit before she had 20 years in, so received a significantly smaller pension and then moved in with one of her sons in another state). Apparently she could not make ends meet on just her county salary (while driving her giant SUV, meeting friends at restaurants for lunch, and buying Starbucks everyday) for another 2 years to get to her 20 years with the county. Any suggestions that she actually COULD make it if she cut back on her expenses was met with fierce resistance and even open hostility.

Don't get me wrong, I totally sympathize with the crap sandwich her ex husband dealt her, but couldn't help but feel sorry and frustrated for and with her that she just would not change any of her spending behavior even though it meant a smaller pension and loss of independence. She now relies on the good graces of her son and daughter-in-law with whom she lives rent free. Hopefully their goodwill never runs out...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1001 on: July 08, 2019, 01:03:16 AM »
<...>
Don't get me wrong, I totally sympathize with the crap sandwich her ex husband dealt her, but couldn't help but feel sorry and frustrated for and with her that she just would not change any of her spending behavior even though it meant a smaller pension and loss of independence. She now relies on the good graces of her son and daughter-in-law with whom she lives rent free. Hopefully their goodwill never runs out...

Some people continuously live above their means and that is not sustainable. Smart people realise their financial shortcomings in time and cut back on their expenses. It is sad that not everyone has that skill. Now she has become the burden to her son that she didn't want to be.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1002 on: July 08, 2019, 03:29:26 AM »
<...>

Some people continuously live above their means and that is not sustainable. Smart people realise their financial shortcomings in time and cut back on their expenses. It is sad that not everyone has that skill. Now she has become the burden to her son that she didn't want to be.

I saw it happen with one of my own parents. It's really difficult to watch a slow motion car crash when you know it's still possible for them to avoid the crash, and then they don't. I know divorce is difficult and changing your lifestyle is difficult but sometimes you just have to adapt to the circumstances. Seems not everyone is able and willing to do that.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1003 on: July 08, 2019, 07:04:28 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what does one do when one goes off alone with a stripper for half an hour that costs thousands of dollars?

My only experience with strip clubs is what I saw in Grand Theft Auto.

https://entertainment.theonion.com/bill-maher-spends-all-night-arguing-with-republican-hoo-1819567438

Davnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1004 on: July 08, 2019, 08:02:54 AM »
Imagine my surprise when during one of these lunches she tearfully mentioned that she had just left the garage where she got her vehicle serviced and had insisted the mechanic rotate her rear tires to the front as the front tires had no tread left on them and she didn't have any money to get new tires. As it was winter and we lived in an area that got a fair amount of snow and ice, rotating the back tires to the front was "all she could do at the moment" given her finances.

I very very gently (given everything that she had been through at that point) asked her a few leading questions. 1) any chance your one of your adult kids could help you out? ("No, I don't want to be a burden". 2) can your church help out again? ("No, they said there are others in need, and they already helped with the apartment." 3) maybe a smaller apartment? ("No, I barely have room for all of my stuff as it is.") 4) a part-time job? ("Haven't I worked long and hard enough as it is? I shouldn't have to get a second job!" 5) any way you can sell the Lincoln Navigator and buy a smaller, more efficient car, like a 7 year old Honda Civic or Tercel (like I was driving at the time) where replacing 4 tires would cost the same as replacing 1 tire on the Lincoln Navigator? After all, if you can no longer afford to maintain the vehicle you have and it's no longer safe to drive, maybe you should downsize?

You would have thought I had suggested she harvest her grandkids for organs! She immediately turned and vehemently stated that she had always driven a large vehicle and was never going to be forced into a small car.

Bad enough she can't see the stupidity of this for her own sake, but driving a 6,000lb SUV with bald tires is endangering everyone on the road. People like this need some sense smacked into them. Note that I didn't say she "deserves" to be smacked, because what she deserves is completely irrelevant. If people could internalize this idea, I think it would completely change their outlook.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1005 on: July 08, 2019, 08:57:55 AM »
I never understood why people canít look at their income versus expenses and realize they need to cut back. 

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #1006 on: July 08, 2019, 09:44:34 AM »
As devastated as she was, she never should have gotten a divorce.  Everyone is going to make mistakes.

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1007 on: July 08, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »

Bad enough she can't see the stupidity of this for her own sake, but driving a 6,000lb SUV with bald tires is endangering everyone on the road. People like this need some sense smacked into them. Note that I didn't say she "deserves" to be smacked, because what she deserves is completely irrelevant. If people could internalize this idea, I think it would completely change their outlook.

The people like this I have known (sadly, too many) don't verbalize it but they don't change because they feel they have been punished enough - in this case, the financial problems caused by an unfaithful spouse. As they have done nothing (or at least believe so) to deserve this fate, they have mentally drawn a line in the sand to put an end to the suffering they have to endure. They are emotionally in pain and their coping mechanism is to put an end to the lifestyle impacts of their personal crisis.  It's tough to watch because absent getting some therapy, cutting back even more on spending just makes their emotional suffering greater.   Contemplating additional sacrifice is going to trigger thoughts of "when will this ever end, what he did to me just continues to make me suffer and suffer. It's been X years and it keeps getting worse. i can't take any more."  That allows her to feel like she's at least treading water in a situation she had nothing to do with. Almost a no-win situation... act rationally financially, feel worse emotionally.  It's different than someone who overspends out of desire to be ostentatious or to keep up with the Joneses.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1008 on: July 08, 2019, 11:08:05 AM »
The people like this I have known (sadly, too many) don't verbalize it but they don't change because they feel they have been punished enough - in this case, the financial problems caused by an unfaithful spouse. As they have done nothing (or at least believe so) to deserve this fate, they have mentally drawn a line in the sand to put an end to the suffering they have to endure. They are emotionally in pain and their coping mechanism is to put an end to the lifestyle impacts of their personal crisis.  It's tough to watch because absent getting some therapy, cutting back even more on spending just makes their emotional suffering greater.   Contemplating additional sacrifice is going to trigger thoughts of "when will this ever end, what he did to me just continues to make me suffer and suffer. It's been X years and it keeps getting worse. i can't take any more."  That allows her to feel like she's at least treading water in a situation she had nothing to do with. Almost a no-win situation... act rationally financially, feel worse emotionally.  It's different than someone who overspends out of desire to be ostentatious or to keep up with the Joneses.
I wonder if it's also a way to avoid taking responsibility for one's own destiny.  By contrast, I know someone who went through a very messy divorce after being a SAHM for over a decade.  She found herself middle-aged with no job, no work history, and a lot of expenses.  I know it was really, really, really hard for her for several years, but she found something she was good at, cut her expenses, and worked her tail off.  It literally took years, but she's successful and independent (not FI, but more than self-sufficient) now.  I don't know what kind of car she drives now, but a few years ago, she upgraded to a 12-year-old Accord, and excitedly told me about how awesome it was--power everything, sunroof, leather, comfy, quiet, large enough to carry the gear she uses for her job.

Piglet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1009 on: July 08, 2019, 11:32:28 AM »

This... This captures it best. Any sacrifice she had to make from that moment onward was just another undeserved slap to the facel... She could not act rationally (kept driving an unsafe vehicle endangering herself and others around her) because the thought of giving it up made her feel even worse emotionally (not only did he cheat on me with a prostitute! but we lost the house, I live in a tiny apartment, and now I've got to trade in my luxury SUV???!!!) I felt terrible for her (although greatly offset by her seeming willingness to barrel 70 mph down the highway on threadbare tires potentially taking out some poor family driving on the road at the same time...)

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1010 on: July 08, 2019, 11:42:56 AM »
I don't know, I still have very little sympathy for people who feel that they are entitled to luxuries after unfortunate circumstances. I guess a lot depends on the definition of "luxury." For myself, I can always look back on a childhood where we had very little material things, but were no less happy. If awful things happened and we lost everything and I had to go back to that, I wouldn't consider it an unthinkable sacrifice. I think the difference is that some people have either never been without certain things, or were miserable during that part of their lives, so they equate the material luxuries that they have with happiness.

This is important for me to think about as we raise our children basically in the lap of luxury.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
« Reply #1011 on: July 08, 2019, 03:51:02 PM »

This... This captures it best. Any sacrifice she had to make from that moment onward was just another undeserved slap to the facel... She could not act rationally (kept driving an unsafe vehicle endangering herself and others around her) because the thought of giving it up made her feel even worse emotionally (not only did he cheat on me with a prostitute! but we lost the house, I live in a tiny apartment, and now I've got to trade in my luxury SUV???!!!) I felt terrible for her (although greatly offset by her seeming willingness to barrel 70 mph down the highway on threadbare tires potentially taking out some poor family driving on the road at the same time...)

Add to this her inability and/or lack of desire to operate a jack and a tire iron. There are secondhand tire places where she could pick up a couple serviceable tires for what she probably paid for that rotation and the restaurant lunch.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1012 on: July 08, 2019, 05:53:15 PM »
I don't like state vehicle inspections (the hassle, the potential games they play) but when I hear stories like this I want people like her to get ticketed or warned into buying tires for the safety of the rest of us.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1013 on: July 09, 2019, 01:27:47 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what does one do when one goes off alone with a stripper for half an hour that costs thousands of dollars?

My only experience with strip clubs is what I saw in Grand Theft Auto.

https://entertainment.theonion.com/bill-maher-spends-all-night-arguing-with-republican-hoo-1819567438

Oh god, I almost ate the onion

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1014 on: July 09, 2019, 01:41:45 AM »
I don't like state vehicle inspections (the hassle, the potential games they play) but when I hear stories like this I want people like her to get ticketed or warned into buying tires for the safety of the rest of us.

What games do they play?  I've only lived in one state with inspections, and it seemed pretty reasonable... price was fine, didn't have any issues.  Had a newer car back then.

I wish my state had inspections.  We have emissions, so I don't see why they couldn't just roll those together.  Emissions plus a quick checklist would solve so many problems.

gooki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1015 on: July 09, 2019, 02:26:15 AM »

What games do they play?  I've only lived in one state with inspections, and it seemed pretty reasonable... price was fine, didn't have any issues.  Had a newer car back then.

I wish my state had inspections.  We have emissions, so I don't see why they couldn't just roll those together.  Emissions plus a quick checklist would solve so many problems.

Not in the USA, but Iíve had random shit like an inspector failing my Nissan Silvia for missing a chassis rail. Fucking numb nuts had me worried, until a google search gave the answer, my car has an a-symmetrical chassis.

kina

• Stubble
  • formerly JustJane
« Reply #1016 on: July 09, 2019, 04:25:58 AM »
As devastated as she was, she never should have gotten a divorce.  Everyone is going to make mistakes.
Bringing a prostitute into the marital bed was not a 'mistake'. It was a betrayal.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #1017 on: July 09, 2019, 05:40:34 AM »

I've had my car failed for worn brake pads despite pulling out calipers and showing the tech that they measure at twice the lower limit. They wanted $400 to replace them, so I took the fail sticker and paid for another inspection somewhere else where the brakes passed just fine because they were fine. Still in favor of safety inspection though, just not that shop which is a bummer because I had free inspections for the life of the vehicle (bought it new in my pre-mustache days). It's hardly free if they make bogus claims about repair needs and won't pass a safe car.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1018 on: July 09, 2019, 06:20:16 AM »
Bringing a prostitute into the marital bed was not a 'mistake'. It was a betrayal.

This. I'd see a divorce as the only reasonable step. (And to be clear: if my husband came home and was like 'X person... I'd really like to', or even 'hun, I messseeeeeed uppppp last night...', it wouldn't necessarily be a relationship-ending betrayal - like, the problem is the trust and lying and betrayal of trust, not specifically where he puts his dick. But 'oh hey, I found out that you've been deliberately lying and cheating on me to the point of bringing prostitutes into MY BED' is just the extreme. How are you supposed to trust anything about them, ever?)

HOWEVER, once the divorce occurs and you're free of the betraying untrustworthy asshat (and have paid for a fairly in-depth STD panel...), the NEXT reasonable step is to evaluate your finances and make your life suit your resources, and figure out how to fit the things that make you happpy in your list of priorities. (I have a hard time believing that Starbucks every morning is they key to happiness, but if Starbucks coffee, drunk at the table with a friend, once a week, is facilitating your social life? That's a 5$ rent for table space and friend-time, and ok, most people can make that work.)

The problem isn't the divorce, it's the everything after.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1019 on: July 09, 2019, 07:42:54 AM »

Yeah, that's not a mistake. He brought the prostitute home, to the marital bed. It almost sounds like he wanted to be caught. I'd never fault someone for choosing divorce in that situation. I would.

Her mistakes after the divorce, though, are on her. What a sad disaster.

dcheesi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1020 on: July 09, 2019, 07:58:25 AM »

I've had my car failed for worn brake pads despite pulling out calipers and showing the tech that they measure at twice the lower limit. They wanted $400 to replace them, so I took the fail sticker and paid for another inspection somewhere else where the brakes passed just fine because they were fine. Still in favor of safety inspection though, just not that shop which is a bummer because I had free inspections for the life of the vehicle (bought it new in my pre-mustache days). It's hardly free if they make bogus claims about repair needs and won't pass a safe car.
This. The charge for the inspection is usually regulated at a rate that doesn't make them any money, so they have an incentive to find things to fail you over, in hopes that you'll have them fix it for you. They've got you somewhat over a barrel, since unlike voluntary maintenance, you can't just ignore the "recommendation" legally (though you can take it to a different mechanic, at the cost of a second inspection fee, as FindingFI wisely did).

And on the opposite extreme, there are places that are known to pass just about anything with wink and a smile. They attract the folks who know their cars are on their last legs, but can't/won't afford to fix or replace them properly. Presumably the incentive there is customer loyalty, since these same poorly maintained cars are likely to break down and need major work done sooner rather than later.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1021 on: July 09, 2019, 09:17:48 AM »

FWIW, Texas has a way around that--places that do inspections aren't allowed to do any car repair.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1022 on: July 09, 2019, 11:10:15 AM »

FWIW, Texas has a way around that--places that do inspections aren't allowed to do any car repair.

Yeah that makes total sense. 

As for places passing people who shouldnít...well itís on the state to audit and enforce. 

People who do emissions testing on newer cars here make plenty... itís like $50 and they typically just do a visual inspection of the exhaust system and query the cars computer on emissions results.  I was kinda pissed when I realized they didnít hook up an actual tester like Iíve seen them do in the past

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1023 on: July 10, 2019, 12:15:21 AM »

That sounds like the rules we have here in socialist Germany, where the ever meddling government made a law against the free market and we have the T‹V that inspects cars. Their people make rounds to the repairmans who basically only lift up your car for the T‹V guys to look at. (Of course you are free to ask the repairman to make repairs before that happens, but there is no presure on it.)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1024 on: July 10, 2019, 06:51:12 AM »

Yeah, that's not a mistake. He brought the prostitute home, to the marital bed. It almost sounds like he wanted to be caught. I'd never fault someone for choosing divorce in that situation. I would.

Her mistakes after the divorce, though, are on her. What a sad disaster.
@Enigma, I don't understand your response. Were you being sarcastic? Making some kind of joke? I'm struggling to give your comment the benefit of the doubt.

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #1025 on: July 10, 2019, 08:23:20 AM »
A couple days ago DW's coworker asked DW to accompany her to get a tattoo after work, to which she declined. When DW went to work the next day she found out the tattoo was of coworker's new BF's name, of which she's been dating about a month. This coworker has a history of remarkably bad life decisions, so while I'm not surprised, it still makes my head spin.

Quick update - the boyfriend has now decided they need to take a break. Quite the predictable outcome..

This train wreck has continued to deliver. Apparently they have now been back together off and on but now with a new twist - she's pregnant!!

AMandM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1026 on: July 10, 2019, 10:36:32 AM »
A couple days ago DW's coworker asked DW to accompany her to get a tattoo after work, to which she declined. When DW went to work the next day she found out the tattoo was of coworker's new BF's name, of which she's been dating about a month. This coworker has a history of remarkably bad life decisions, so while I'm not surprised, it still makes my head spin.

Quick update - the boyfriend has now decided they need to take a break. Quite the predictable outcome..

This train wreck has continued to deliver. Apparently they have now been back together off and on but now with a new twist - she's pregnant!!

So now she can get a new tattoo of the baby's name!

DadJokes

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1027 on: July 10, 2019, 10:43:10 AM »

So now she can get a new tattoo of the baby's name!

Maybe she and the baby can get matching tattoos.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1028 on: July 10, 2019, 10:56:21 AM »
Maybe she and the baby can get matching tattoos.

How about coordinating?

wkumtrider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1029 on: July 10, 2019, 02:04:32 PM »
Heard today that an employee was paying $1100/month for a brand new Dodge Ram. Interest is 15%.  He is in his early 20s and works in production in manufacturing.  Also pays $1200/month rent, and in this area that is a nice apartment.  I can't imagine paying that much for a vehicle. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1030 on: July 10, 2019, 02:53:44 PM »
Heard today that an employee was paying $1100/month for a brand new Dodge Ram. Interest is 15%.  He is in his early 20s and works in production in manufacturing.  Also pays $1200/month rent, and in this area that is a nice apartment.  I can't imagine paying that much for a vehicle.

Damn.  $1100 per month for a vehicle.

To put things in perspective, that's more than our monthly mortgage payment, including taxes and insurance, on our old personal home.   

That's 4 monthly car payments the last time I had car payments, about 10 years ago. 

That's 1 monthly car payment on my last car and enough money, in 4 years, to purchase and renovate our first rental property in full, in cash, plus $3000 spending money.

BFive55

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1031 on: July 10, 2019, 03:43:23 PM »

When I bought my first car I put like $3,000 or $5,000 down and paid $150/month. I hated paying that. Now that I have owned the car for two years I don't plan to buy another for a long time. Though I occasionally look... and try to see if there is anything out there for $200/month. $1,100 is insanity.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #1032 on: July 10, 2019, 04:03:08 PM »
Holy mother. All that money and he isnít even getting anything remotely nice for it.

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1033 on: July 10, 2019, 04:57:35 PM »

When I bought my first car I put like $3,000 or $5,000 down and paid $150/month. I hated paying that. Now that I have owned the car for two years I don't plan to buy another for a long time. Though I occasionally look... and try to see if there is anything out there for $200/month. $1,100 is insanity.

Why? Isnít that lifestyle creep?

Though I must admit, I also sometimes look to see if I can get something nicer...for less than what I am currently paying.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #1034 on: July 10, 2019, 06:13:29 PM »

What type of income does this person make as a production employee?!? I know from experience that it can be quite high for experienced and skilled workers but they are not the norm.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1035 on: July 10, 2019, 10:11:48 PM »

Though I must admit, I also sometimes look to see if I can get something nicer...for less than what I am currently paying.

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1036 on: July 11, 2019, 02:01:09 AM »

Mustachian lifestyle creep. :P  (is that even a thing?)

Davnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1037 on: July 11, 2019, 06:44:56 AM »

Ya, it's when you look at the thermostat and say, "78? huh, feels like 76. Maybe I'll turn it up to 79"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1038 on: July 11, 2019, 07:13:33 PM »

Getting nicer stuff makes it harder to go back to shittier stuff.  Even when I DIY a bunch of stuff and spend almost nothing, my lifestyle is increasing.  So IMO yeah.

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1039 on: July 12, 2019, 05:49:06 AM »

Ya, it's when you look at the thermostat and say, "78? huh, feels like 76. Maybe I'll turn it up to 79"

This basically happened to me last night - I got home and went about my stuff as usual.  DH gets home a few hours later:

DH: Why didn't you turn the thermostat back down?
Me: What do you mean?
DH: I decided to turn it up before I left this morning, so it wasn't running when we're not here.
Me: Oh, I hadn't noticed.
DH: *turns temp back down to 80 from 85*

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1040 on: July 13, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »
Was at a work do last night and the conversation turned to after purchase payment schemes - the ones where you get your low cost goods up front and pay a small amount weekly or whatever until it's paid off? I don't quite know how it works since I'd never heard of them! Anyway, not only were the others astonished that I'd never heard of the whole idea of buying a $20 dollar item and paying it off in four easy payments of $5, they were astonished that I'd never needed this sort of plan. I was asked what I did if I wanted something and didn't have the money - BY THE MANAGER AND OPS MANAGER! I was trying to avoid saying that I can afford anything I want for cash, so I said I'd just put it on credit card. But what if you have no balance on your credit card?? Um.... that's never happened and if it did I wouldn't be buying said item. They looked at me like I'd started speaking ancient arabic, and changed the subject.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #1041 on: July 13, 2019, 09:31:18 PM »
Was at a work do last night and the conversation turned to after purchase payment schemes - the ones where you get your low cost goods up front and pay a small amount weekly or whatever until it's paid off? I don't quite know how it works since I'd never heard of them! Anyway, not only were the others astonished that I'd never heard of the whole idea of buying a $20 dollar item and paying it off in four easy payments of $5, they were astonished that I'd never needed this sort of plan. I was asked what I did if I wanted something and didn't have the money - BY THE MANAGER AND OPS MANAGER! I was trying to avoid saying that I can afford anything I want for cash, so I said I'd just put it on credit card. But what if you have no balance on your credit card?? Um.... that's never happened and if it did I wouldn't be buying said item. They looked at me like I'd started speaking ancient arabic, and changed the subject.

This would be funny if it wasn't so sad.  No one can fathom having enough money to buy what you want/need (or fathom NOT buying something you can't afford)!

Years ago, I needed to buy a new refrigerator and one of my coworkers mentioned that I could use store financing.  I just thanked her but in my mind it was "I'm going to put it on my credit card and then write a check to pay it off when the bill comes".  [For you young whipper-snappers, this was back when people paid credit cards with checks.]

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1042 on: July 14, 2019, 01:22:40 AM »

This would be funny if it wasn't so sad.  No one can fathom having enough money to buy what you want/need (or fathom NOT buying something you can't afford)!

Years ago, I needed to buy a new refrigerator and one of my coworkers mentioned that I could use store financing.  I just thanked her but in my mind it was "I'm going to put it on my credit card and then write a check to pay it off when the bill comes".  [For you young whipper-snappers, this was back when people paid credit cards with checks.]

It was so weird. I have about $14000 in credit card balance I could use if I wanted to. And I have cash, so I don't need to do that...... And, ffs, what can you possibly want that only costs a few bucks that you HAVE to have right then???

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1043 on: July 14, 2019, 01:34:03 AM »
A guy at work was invited to an 80s-themed party.

He and his girlfriend spent more than $400 on their outfits: acid-washed jeans and a denim jacket for him, an ugly leopard-print dress for her.

Pretty sure I could find similar outfits at my local op shop for $7.

DaMa

• Stubble
« Reply #1044 on: July 14, 2019, 07:33:18 AM »

I was telling someone about a rewards credit card, and he asked what the interest rate was.  It took a several extra seconds for my brain to process his question.  I don't know what the interest rate is.  I haven't paid CC interest in 20 years.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1045 on: July 14, 2019, 08:05:55 AM »

I was telling someone about a rewards credit card, and he asked what the interest rate was.  It took a several extra seconds for my brain to process his question.  I don't know what the interest rate is.  I haven't paid CC interest in 20 years.

Ha ó I realized from reading your post that Iíve never chosen a card based on interest rate. Because Iíve never held a cc balance. Itís irrelevant to me.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1046 on: July 14, 2019, 09:17:47 AM »

Ha ó I realized from reading your post that Iíve never chosen a card based on interest rate. Because Iíve never held a cc balance. Itís irrelevant to me.

This prompted me to look up the interest percentage of my credit card that I've had since 2008 (it's 14%). I have never held a balance either and with that interest % I certainly never will.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1047 on: July 14, 2019, 09:52:17 AM »
My "Credit Card" (OMG I have only one!!!) does not even have a % because while you can use it like any MasterCard, the money still gets deducted from the bank account 3 days later.

One of the first things I did at my bank was applying for Dispo (overdraft). Got a nicely low (for those things) 6% for 950Ä. Never used it and very likely never will, but it is good to have the reserve in case of cases.

Not able to buy a $20 thing? I can't even imagine how you can live that way. (Or with high interest credit on the card for that matter.) It really is a "hair on fire" emergency, and those people should be in subdued panic!!

kina

• Stubble
  • formerly JustJane
« Reply #1048 on: July 14, 2019, 10:29:16 AM »
I sell stuff on ebay. Just yesterday I got a request "will you sell this for $5 but I can't pay you until Saturday. Is that ok?"

I almost always, as I did in this case, say yes, because I have never had anyone who asks up front give me a problem.

But I think, really, if you can't pay me $5 for nearly a week, you shouldn't be buying this thing and ought to get your financial house in order.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1049 on: July 14, 2019, 11:21:00 AM »
Iím a full-time writer (novelist), self-pubbed, and the vast majority of my income is from ebooks.

I write in series, and I will often have the first book in a series as a temporary or permanent 99-cent loss leader to lure people in.

I have had more than a few conversations on social media from people who ask me how long said book will be at 99 cents, because they donít get paid until X date.

I used to think it was just scammers hoping Iíd give them a freebie, but it has happened enough now with readers I actually have a relationship with that Iíve concluded many/most of these people literally donít have 99 cents to spare.