Author Topic: OMY for clown car  (Read 36047 times)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
Re: OMY for clown car
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »
But I can have a hit almost anytime. I had a couple hits this morning in the way to work. Will have more on the way home. How many times can you "ski a drop" or hit the Rapids?

The key to happiness then, is having an inexhaustible supply of heroin?

Yup.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2016, 10:13:44 AM »
But I can have a hit almost anytime. I had a couple hits this morning in the way to work. Will have more on the way home. How many times can you "ski a drop" or hit the Rapids?
Good for you. Maybe I'm old and jaded, and strung out on adrenaline too much. But accelerating up to the speed limit, or the car in front, a few seconds faster doesn't really do much for me anymore. It did when I was 19 though I'll give you that. The curse of getting old.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2016, 10:44:29 AM »
Good for you. Maybe I'm old and jaded, and strung out on adrenaline too much. But accelerating up to the speed limit, or the car in front, a few seconds faster doesn't really do much for me anymore. It did when I was 19 though I'll give you that. The curse of getting old.

And that's cool. I have no illusion that everyone enjoys driving. What annoys me to no end is some assclown telling me I don't, or that it isn't making me happy.  Seems like the height of arrogance to presume that about someone else in my opinion.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2016, 11:49:48 AM »

And that's cool. I have no illusion that everyone enjoys driving. What annoys me to no end is some assclown telling me I don't, or that it isn't making me happy.  Seems like the height of arrogance to presume that about someone else in my opinion.

This forum seems rife with folks who are utterly convinced their way is the One True Way (TM) and that anyone who differs is clearly just stupid.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »

This forum seems rife with folks who are utterly convinced their way is the One True Way (TM) and that anyone who differs is clearly just stupid.

Exactly. You'd be happier quitting your job to ride your bike to the library to check out books about how to tend your garden and if you don't believe that you're clearly ignorant.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2016, 12:18:53 PM »

Exactly. You'd be happier quitting your job to ride your bike to the library to check out books about how to tend your garden and if you don't believe that you're clearly ignorant.

I could not agree more. Some days, the judgmentalism on this site blows my mind. I'm guilty of it, too, in some of my comments.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2016, 01:42:07 PM »

I could not agree more. Some days, the judgmentalism on this site blows my mind. I'm guilty of it, too, in some of my comments.

The core problem, in my oppinion, is the attempt to mix practical advice and moral advice. The "Clown Car" thing is a perfect example. It's extremely good practical, and objective advice to buy the smallest/most efficient car you can you suit most of your needs (and to supplement with rentals). But when you attempt to pivot to a moral or subjective argument such as "only idiots like cars!" (which is a common position here) people feed on that subjectivity and the result is the hardline attitudes and judgementalism that is highlighted in this thread.

It's one of MMMs failings. He gives some good advice, but like any extremist his good advice is often obscured by his and his True Believer's (TM) zealotry.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2016, 01:52:04 PM »
So let's say you guys are right. 6 months after buying the car, he decides "this sucks, I'm not happier with this thing."  So what?  He paid cash for it, he sells it on, and he loses, say, 20%. He's a rich dude, he can afford the hit. It's not the end of the world. And he fulfilled a dream he decided was no longer a dream. This isn't a catastrophe. He isn't putting his financial well being and family's health at risk. His total downside is "well, gee, I didn't like that as much as I thought I did, I'll sell it."

So the fuck what?
He will most likely break even or make few K from the sale, assuming he didn't overpay initially. This holds true for most super cars (unless you got really unlucky and the car needed some service done during the holding period)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2016, 03:08:19 PM »
I always thought supercars dropped in price rather quickly if they were used vs kept as museum pieces.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2016, 03:17:58 PM »
I always thought supercars dropped in price rather quickly if they were used vs kept as museum pieces.

The guy's plan is to buy a one-year-old car (not a new one), drive it until the thrill is gone, and then sell it.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »

The guy's plan is to buy a one-year-old car (not a new one), drive it until the thrill is gone, and then sell it.

I would be interesting to see how this turns out. Not the worst idea in the world imo.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2016, 02:19:37 PM »

If you bought a 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo 5 years ago, you could probably sell it for within 5% of your purchase price today.  Same for a similar-year Dodge Viper.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »

If you bought a 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo 5 years ago, you could probably sell it for within 5% of your purchase price today.  Same for a similar-year Dodge Viper.

That may be true, but has little to do with the original post.  My understanding is that Bentleys tend to depreciate very quickly over the first three or four years (50% +).  The OP was planning on buying 1 year old, so it would be well before he can take advantage of the rapid depreciation period.  It would therefore be quite surprising if he could turn around and sell it five years later for the same price he purchased it at.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2016, 03:58:58 PM »

That may be true, but has little to do with the original post.  My understanding is that Bentleys tend to depreciate very quickly over the first three or four years (50% +).  The OP was planning on buying 1 year old, so it would be well before he can take advantage of the rapid depreciation period.  It would therefore be quite surprising if he could turn around and sell it five years later for the same price he purchased it at.

I agree, but with the specific clarification in my post, it had everything to do with the post I quoted. ;)

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2016, 11:18:02 AM »
He has saved about $5MM

Y'all need to back away from the worship of MMM orthodoxy and start using your brains.

If the guy has $5M+, he can afford any damned car he want's and it's not a big deal.  A $250,000 Bentley purchase is NOT going to ruin his life.  He'll barely notice it.

When you have nothing, washing out baggies and condoms and reusing them might make sense.

But at some point, you realize you don't need to live on rice and beans and scrimp and save all the time.

A $1M net worth is a good cut off point.  At that point, feel free to "wastefully" use new baggies and condoms. 

Or even buy a (dare I say it) NEW car that isn't an econo box...

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
He has saved about $5MM

Y'all need to back away from the worship of MMM orthodoxy and start using your brains.

If the guy has $5M+, he can afford any damned car he want's and it's not a big deal.  A $250,000 Bentley purchase is NOT going to ruin his life.  He'll barely notice it.

When you have nothing, washing out baggies and condoms and reusing them might make sense.

But at some point, you realize you don't need to live on rice and beans and scrimp and save all the time.

A $1M net worth is a good cut off point.  At that point, feel free to "wastefully" use new baggies and condoms. 

Or even buy a (dare I say it) NEW car that isn't an econo box...
why is that a good cut off point? Could be house rich.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2016, 11:59:05 AM »
Might be relevant to OP

http://jalopnik.com/if-i-buy-a-13-year-old-bentley-arnage-will-it-destroy-1784523872

"For example: the most recent repair, reportedly done “at wholesale cost,” totaled $19,409.47. The 30,000 mile service — which also included new rear brake pads and rotors — was $6,177.26. Tires cost $2,500, and one single oil change service plus drive belt replacement was $796.25.

And then you have my favorite service: On June 20, 2007, the Bentley dealer in San Diego, California, replaced the turn signal switch in this particular Arnage. The cost of this repair: $819.65."

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »
That does seem pricey for a turn stalk. Perhaps it is billet aluminum.

But I wouldn't have thought anyone driving a Bentley needs to signal their intentions to anyone else. It's none of their damn business which way you are going when you own the road!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2016, 12:17:17 PM »
Don't take Jalopnik too seriously. I looked at Rock Auto and the price for brake pads for a Bentley was similar to any other car. I suspect that if you rely on a Bentley dealers or supercar specific mechanics then you'll pay those kinds of prices quoted by Jalopnik.

If you want to source your own parts (i.e. aftermarket parts) and rely on an independent import mechanic, you can get things done for reasonable prices relative to a Mercedes at the same independent mechanic.

I've heard plenty of stories of people relying on mainstream dealers for simple repairs and getting sticker shock. My local Honda dealer is like this. I can buy OEM parts from a Honda dealer on the internet for prices similar to quality aftermarket prices at a FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store). Online OEM prices are roughly half what my local dealer charges - though during the Great Recession the local dealer was temporarily affordable just to keep the lights on. 

If the guy is a multi-millionaire then I don't really think he is going to worry about the cost of oil changes anywhere he has the car serviced. ;)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2016, 12:21:22 PM »
Is there enough aftermarket sales to really find Bentley specific stuff?  I get that for a mass produced car you'll find plenty of aftermarket stuff, but wouldn't think that there would be enough market to find the same for luxury cars.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »
Dunno but you can buy maintenance items from Rock Auto and thus I think other places too.

You might need to build a relationship with a Bentley shop even long distance for the more arcane stuff. These shops often part out cars that were wrecked or otherwise damaged. I do that with a couple of my antique vehicles. I can buy new aftermarket for some things and used but clean for other things.

And there would likely be some things that he'd need to buy OEM new from a dealer. I'd want to minimize the number of things I was paying full retail on.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2016, 12:43:50 PM »

But I wouldn't have thought anyone driving a Bentley needs to signal their intentions to anyone else. It's none of their damn business which way you are going when you own the road!

The turn signal stalk for my 25yo MR2 is over $100 from Toyota. :(

Some things are surprisingly expensive.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »
Might be relevant to OP

http://jalopnik.com/if-i-buy-a-13-year-old-bentley-arnage-will-it-destroy-1784523872

"For example: the most recent repair, reportedly done “at wholesale cost,” totaled $19,409.47. The 30,000 mile service — which also included new rear brake pads and rotors — was $6,177.26. Tires cost $2,500, and one single oil change service plus drive belt replacement was $796.25.

And then you have my favorite service: On June 20, 2007, the Bentley dealer in San Diego, California, replaced the turn signal switch in this particular Arnage. The cost of this repair: $819.65."

The Arnage is from before VW acquired Bentley, and will have many many more bespoke parts. A current Bentley will have many more inconsequential shared parts (i.e., turn signal stalk) and therefore will be much cheaper to run.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2016, 04:44:27 PM »

Not that there isn't gouging going on, but one of the (very few) legit reasons that some car parts are expensive is because they have to be made years or decades in advance and stored for all that time. Typically to fulfill legal obligations (and customer expectations) a production run of a vehicle includes enough spare parts to produce 50% more full vehicles.

This is a big factor for any part of a car that is specific to a particular model (or a few models). For example, a signal stalk. Toyota probably hasn't made that particular part for ~2 decades, and your particular item has probably been warehoused (along with thousands of others) most of that time.

This is why things like 3-D printing can really made a difference. If Toyota could just pull up the printing definition for your signal stalk and print a new one up today to sell you instead of having to store them for decades things could be a lot cheaper.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:50:51 PM by MilesTeg »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2016, 05:13:30 PM »

Not that there isn't gouging going on, but one of the (very few) legit reasons that some car parts are expensive is because they have to be made years or decades in advance and stored for all that time. Typically to fulfill legal obligations (and customer expectations) a production run of a vehicle includes enough spare parts to produce 50% more full vehicles.

This is a big factor for any part of a car that is specific to a particular model (or a few models). For example, a signal stalk. Toyota probably hasn't made that particular part for ~2 decades, and your particular item has probably been warehoused (along with thousands of others) most of that time.

This is why things like 3-D printing can really made a difference. If Toyota could just pull up the printing definition for your signal stalk and print a new one up today to sell you instead of having to store them for decades things could be a lot cheaper.

Yep.  And we could also continue to get parts that are now unavailable..at least some types of parts, anyway.  I ordered a window regulator a few weeks ago and it was one of three remaining in the country.

trek240

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2016, 10:42:19 AM »

And what if my child will cure cancer and/or invention infinite clean fuel?

I can guarantee 100% that your kid won't. 99.999999% of people will never achieve anything of consequence, thinking that your kid will be the exception is the epitome of arrogance.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2016, 10:55:23 AM »

I can guarantee 100% that your kid won't. 99.999999% of people will never achieve anything of consequence, thinking that your kid will be the exception is the epitome of arrogance.
Really? 100%? How can you be sure? Someone has to do it.. Disregarding curing cancer, you really think my child doing one single act that's good for the world in his lifetime is 100% unlikely?

FYI I'm not really arrogant. I think the planet is fucked anyway so there is no point caring. I could pollute as hard as I can my whole life, and it would hardly compare to the output from a single cargo ship in a month.

trek240

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2016, 10:58:47 AM »

That's why it needed replacing, it was seized from having never been used

trek240

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2016, 11:09:44 AM »

Really? 100%? How can you be sure? Someone has to do it.. Disregarding curing cancer, you really think my child doing one single act that's good for the world in his lifetime is 100% unlikely?

FYI I'm not really arrogant. I think the planet is fucked anyway so there is no point caring. I could pollute as hard as I can my whole life, and it would hardly compare to the output from a single cargo ship in a month.

When I say of consequence I mean an act that affects a large percentage of the population. There's really only a handful of people in each generation that does this. You have a better chance of striking it rich in the lottery, or getting struck by lightning.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »

When I say of consequence I mean an act that affects a large percentage of the population. There's really only a handful of people in each generation that does this. You have a better chance of striking it rich in the lottery, or getting struck by lightning.
But why does it have to affect such a large part of the population? If my child has a net benefit on the life or environment for a small number of people or a limited area isn't that still good? Any net benefit is worth it (if you believe the planet can be saved that is..)

And anyway someone has to be that one person, you can't be sure who it'll be beforehand.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2016, 06:50:52 AM »
Thanks for bringing the comedy  to this wall of shame SnackDog. This sounds like it will be hilarious.

The guy's  got 5 mil and worked his way up, and he's working extra to be in an especially good place? Pretty much the definition of comedy as opposed to tragedy.

I hear what's been said many times through the thread about its wastefulness, and it would be absurd to me to do this. But to each their own. It is pretty funny!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2016, 09:29:16 PM »

Better have got that bicycle off of craigslist.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2016, 03:16:25 PM »

Better have got that bicycle off of craigslist.

Nah.  You need to dig the ore, smelt it, roll your own tubes, and the DIY the frame.  (And I hope you planted that rubber tree a few years ago or you'll be waiting for tubes and tires.)  Craigslist is for consumerist suckers.

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2016, 03:42:56 PM »
if he has only $5MM saved

*Looks at my RRSP balance*
*Cries*

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2016, 07:47:10 PM »

Nah.  You need to dig the ore, smelt it, roll your own tubes, and the DIY the frame.  (And I hope you planted that rubber tree a few years ago or you'll be waiting for tubes and tires.)  Craigslist is for consumerist suckers.

Those open-pit mines are so bad for the environment, and factories are more efficient with their energy usage than individual forges and machine shops. It's a lose-lose for the planet and the rider to build a bike from scratch when one can buy a used one for cheap.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2016, 05:45:43 AM »

Those open-pit mines are so bad for the environment, and factories are more efficient with their energy usage than individual forges and machine shops. It's a lose-lose for the planet and the rider to build a bike from scratch when one can buy a used one for cheap.

You just sound complainy pants.

That's why after you finish mining, you replace each grain of sand in the correct location after consulting your records.  Of course your forge is geothermal, solar powered, and locally sourced organic gluten free free range.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2016, 08:32:08 AM »
That's why after you finish mining, you replace each grain of sand in the correct location after consulting your records.  Of course your forge is geothermal, solar powered, and locally sourced organic gluten free free range.

"Hey man! I got a locally sourced, organic gluten free / free-range bicycle! Now get off my stones!" j/k

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »

Facepunch accepted. :D

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2016, 07:09:10 PM »

exactly

These planet polluters don't understand environmental mitigation

When will they ever learn?

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2016, 04:27:19 AM »
Is this the time to mention that Mr. Money Mustache just bought a brand new car?  Check his latest tweet!

True, it's an electric car, but brand new, 2016 model.  I feel like there are going to be a few crushed souls on this forum!  :)

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2016, 10:55:45 AM »
It's all relative. MMM has a 7+ figure networth, makes 4-500k a year and runs a successful blog that's probably worth a few mil (if not more) if sold. The car only costs 30k. This just shows MMM principles are only really applicable to upper middle class people. If you are lower middle class or below, you won't make enough money to live comfortably and save aggressively at the same time. If you are in the top 1% then you can pretty much do whatever you want with your money within reason (like buying a new luxury car every few years) with minimal impact on your financial health.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2016, 12:23:33 PM »
In a followup tweet, MMM claims that he got the Leaf for around $15K net, owing to Nissan and tax rebates. Compared to the American average MMM barely drives, so it still looks like an expensive outlay. But I'm sure he'll generate some blog content from the experience.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2016, 12:20:37 AM »
I guess MMM has the right to spend his excess money in any way he pleases. I for one am happy that he bought an electric car and I presume he is going to drive that thing into the ground.

Things like 'don't drive a clown car' are really great rules when working towards FI, if you are FI and a car purchase doesn't change that then why not treat yourself?

Especially if it is more environmentally friendly, can be charged from PV systems for free.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2016, 04:30:53 PM »
Why the hell not? There's neither shame nor comedy in someone carefully thinking through their priorities and working to afford something they love. Good for him.

+1 to this and Nederstash's comment.

IMO the MMM philosophy is to not waste money on mindless spending so you have money to spend on what you really want.  He has more than enough money to FIRE.  It is his choice to go OMY and buy something he really wants with only half of the extra money saved.  Good for him!

MMM is not about saving money at all costs.  It is about using money wisely.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2016, 05:42:35 PM »
Why the hell not? There's neither shame nor comedy in someone carefully thinking through their priorities and working to afford something they love. Good for him.

+1 to this and Nederstash's comment.

IMO the MMM philosophy is to not waste money on mindless spending so you have money to spend on what you really want.  He has more than enough money to FIRE.  It is his choice to go OMY and buy something he really wants with only half of the extra money saved.  Good for him!

MMM is not about saving money at all costs.  It is about using money wisely.

Yep.

That's why much of the discussion in this thread revolved around determining if purchase of a luxury car can ever really be called 'wise'.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2016, 01:50:14 AM »
In a followup tweet, MMM claims that he got the Leaf for around $15K net, owing to Nissan and tax rebates. Compared to the American average MMM barely drives, so it still looks like an expensive outlay. But I'm sure he'll generate some blog content from the experience.

And, since he mentions it in his blog, he no longer has to factor it into his yearly spending report, either.

Ralph2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2016, 09:32:23 PM »
So let's say you guys are right. 6 months after buying the car, he decides "this sucks, I'm not happier with this thing."  So what?  He paid cash for it, he sells it on, and he loses, say, 20%. He's a rich dude, he can afford the hit. It's not the end of the world. And he fulfilled a dream he decided was no longer a dream. This isn't a catastrophe. He isn't putting his financial well being and family's health at risk. His total downside is "well, gee, I didn't like that as much as I thought I did, I'll sell it."

So the fuck what?

So he wasted money, and a significant chunk of his life.  He helped to fuel demand for a useless environmentally damaging product.  All this for no benefit of any kind.

He is buying a second hand car that is already made, damage was done by the first owner. Better than buying new himself.
Him contributing would allowing the car to be scrapped after the first year.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2016, 06:22:10 AM »

So the fuck what?

So he wasted money, and a significant chunk of his life.  He helped to fuel demand for a useless environmentally damaging product.  All this for no benefit of any kind.

He is buying a second hand car that is already made, damage was done by the first owner. Better than buying new himself.
Him contributing would allowing the car to be scrapped after the first year.

While buying used is certainly better than buying new, the only way to reduce demand for useless shit is to avoid buying it entirely.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »
I guess MMM has the right to spend his excess money in any way he pleases. I for one am happy that he bought an electric car and I presume he is going to drive that thing into the ground.

Things like 'don't drive a clown car' are really great rules when working towards FI, if you are FI and a car purchase doesn't change that then why not treat yourself?

Especially if it is more environmentally friendly, can be charged from PV systems for free.

One problem is that even an EV is very bad for the environment. Just because it has zero emissions does not mean it did not take considerable resources and cause considerable pollution for its manufacture, maintenance, transport, sale, marketing, etc. And just because you can charge it "for free" from a solar array doesn't mean that solar array didn't also take considerable resources and create considerable pollution during its creation.

If your argument against cars for "fun" is environmental, you have no good options. You only have bad options, and worse options. EVs are a considerable improvement, but they are no where near "guilt free" cars when it comes to caring for the environment.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2016, 04:12:39 AM »

One problem is that even an EV is very bad for the environment. Just because it has zero emissions does not mean it did not take considerable resources and cause considerable pollution for its manufacture, maintenance, transport, sale, marketing, etc. And just because you can charge it "for free" from a solar array doesn't mean that solar array didn't also take considerable resources and create considerable pollution during its creation.

If your argument against cars for "fun" is environmental, you have no good options. You only have bad options, and worse options. EVs are a considerable improvement, but they are no where near "guilt free" cars when it comes to caring for the environment.

No car is guilt-free. No house is guilt free, nothing you can buy in a supermarket is guilt-free. We have an impact on this planet if we live on it. It is almost impossible to avoid some sort of environmental impact no matter what you do.

If we wish to live in a world with electricity, warm water and transportation then there will be waste no matter what we do.

And as you said the EV is probably the best choice right now when it comes to transportation. If you gave up transportation that would be better, but even a bicycle requires energy to manufacture.

However with proper recycling an EV represents the current "state of the art" when it comes to minimal impact on the world. Even accounting for battery production and lithium extraction.

Current PV systems are estimated to be net-energy/co2 positive after 3 years of service. So there is still 22-27 years of life in the panels where they produce energy for free. Overall PV and wind-energy er net-energy positive and hence very good for the environment.

If you live in a place where your PV power offsets coal power then the math looks even better.

And since an EV allows you to utilize your PV system to a much higher degree this becomes even more attractive for both the wallet and the environment. Overall a win-win type scenario.