Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 188169 times)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #900 on: May 23, 2018, 07:23:30 PM »
I have FB, but it's pretty tame and boring.  I have "hidden" enough political and MLM type posts that I don't really see them anymore.  I have a few hobby pages I follow (quilting, cooking, frugal living) but mostly have it to kill some time and keep in touch with a handful of friends. 

I found two anti-MLM groups and decided to join them.  My feed has become much more entertaining the last few days.  It's also made me thankful that I haven't been exposed to much in the way of MLM marketing.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #901 on: May 24, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
**APPROVED SCENTSY VENDOR**

You: Iím broke.
Me: Join my team 💰
You: Iím always at work.
Me: Join my team.👔
You: I hate putting my kids in care.
Me: Join my team👶👨👩👧👦
You: I hate my job.
Me; Join my team.💁
You: I need a paid holiday.
Me: Join my team.☀️✈️
You: I'd like to meet more people.
Me: Join my team👭👫👭👫
You: I want lifestyle freedom.
Me: Join my team🙌🙌
You: I want to change lives.
Me: Join my team😍
$99 is changing my life..
All the reasons you have why you can't do this,
should be your reasons why you will.
Spare time, Part time, Full time, make more "you" time, design the life you want to live.
Don't work to build someone else's dream 👨👩👧👦 PM me, let's chat, no commitment! A fresh start!! 💜💜

Want to hear about my special too?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #902 on: May 25, 2018, 10:58:45 PM »
Has this been posted (honestly don't remember seeing it, but haven't reviewed the whole thread)?

I haven't finished it, but an interesting read so far.

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/public_comments/trade-regulation-rule-disclosure-requirements-and-prohibitions-concerning-business-opportunities-ftc.r511993-00008%C2%A0/00008-57281.pdf

Dabnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #903 on: May 30, 2018, 08:14:24 AM »
Has this been posted (honestly don't remember seeing it, but haven't reviewed the whole thread)?

I haven't finished it, but an interesting read so far.

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/public_comments/trade-regulation-rule-disclosure-requirements-and-prohibitions-concerning-business-opportunities-ftc.r511993-00008%C2%A0/00008-57281.pdf

Only read the first few pages so far, but this would be a great response to any MLM request you get on Facebook. Might come off a little rude if you're really friends with someone but for all those, "Hey girl, it's been so long." types - copy, paste, send.

Fomerly known as something

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #904 on: May 30, 2018, 06:16:04 PM »
OMG...the "Hey girl...did you have a chance to check out...?"

I know it's a cliche...but do they have to do it?

Hey girl...I'm 47 effing years old.

Anyway, hey Beachbody has a new eating plan out, dontcha know?  I love reading about diet and fitness, and buying cookbooks and food plan books and such...it's kinda a hobby of mine.  But I want to answer:

"hey girl, I'm kinda busy.  Husband traveling, kid baseball playoffs, running a half marathon this weekend, big work projects...not happening any time soon." 

And "well, for now I kinda have it all figured out, ya know?  I'm at a healthy weight, don't need to lose any, what I'm doing is working...not sure a $75 'plan' with videos and such and '4 new tricks' is really what I need".

Plus I'm a dinosaur and I HATE videos.  Hate them.  I want to read a book.

OMG you sound exactly like me! I mean, I'm not at the healthy weight yet, but I'm getting there. Just sub out baseball for soccer and put the half marathon in 2.5 weeks. :) If you have any food plan for fitness books you could recommend as I'm getting more serious about it, would you mind sharing what they are? I'd rather read a book than a video too...I HATE videos and thought I was the only one who felt that way!

A slight acquaintance who absolutely does NOT know me is trying to push this new Beachbody eating plan. I got an email from her recently with that EXACT intro: Hey girl, have you had a chance to check out..." so this is absolutely hysterical to me (and a little sad...well, maybe a lot sad). I turn 40 this year and have three kids, and work as an engineer. I don't wear makeup or go out. There is exactly ONE person who can say "hey girl" to me and it won't make me crazy, and it is NOT random beachbody person I don't know...

Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald.  I think he has written a second book but I don't have that one.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #905 on: June 02, 2018, 06:51:16 PM »
My aunt, who is a teacher, shared this post of her friend's:

To all my teacher friends!!! Do you want to know how you can put your background to work during the summer months and earn an INCOME that will pay all YEAR🤗🙌🏼👊🏼😁 

Please join me on June 3rd to listen to 4 different teachers talk about how they took control of their health and their finances by inspiring healthy living! Message me for an invite🙌🏼👊🏼😁

I thought, this screams MLM. Yup, Juice Plus. I scrolled through her feed and about 98% of her posts were about it, including using photos of her kids to promote it.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #906 on: June 15, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »
Oh man, I thought my aunt's repost of the Juice Plus thing was just that, and that maybe she didn't realize it... but she's been sucked in since last Fall! I guess I don't see her posts often because I hadn't realized.

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #907 on: June 19, 2018, 07:49:07 AM »
Damn.  One of my cousins started messaging me on FB.  She's my age and has some of the same interests, but we're not super close, so I was like "oh, maybe we'll get to know each other better, that'd be cool," but no, she just ended her most recent message with "Hey, have you heard of the magic pill?" 

So disappointing :(

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #908 on: June 19, 2018, 08:42:55 AM »
It is so disappointing. A friend who i have not seen in a while, texts me last week wanting to know if want to hang out this Thursday. I say  "Yeah, that sounds awesome." She then replies she is having "a couple of people over" to talk about Arbonne. Dang, how do I get out of it now??

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #909 on: June 19, 2018, 09:40:04 AM »
It is so disappointing. A friend who i have not seen in a while, texts me last week wanting to know if want to hang out this Thursday. I say  "Yeah, that sounds awesome." She then replies she is having "a couple of people over" to talk about Arbonne. Dang, how do I get out of it now??

"Sorry, I'm not interested in Arbonne. If you ever want to just hang out sometime, that would be awesome."

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #910 on: August 21, 2018, 11:08:43 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/herbalife-distributors-claim-in-dollar1b-suit-that-events-were-a-sham/ar-BBMdWtk?OCID=ansmsnnews11

"MLM distributors shocked to discover their MLM is exactly like every other MLM their annoying friends warned them about."

Fixed it for you.

Herbalife's website says it has about 8,300 employees worldwide and about 2.3 million distributors.

Los Angeles-based Herbalife, a publicly traded company with 2017 net sales of $4.4 billion

Herbalife has a profit margin of 80%.  So my public school math tells me that 2.3 million people grossed $5.28 billion which means each distributor averages $2300 a year in sales.  Somehow I don't think the distributors are seeing even that much staying in their pockets at the end of the year.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:26:52 PM by Travis »

Proud Foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #911 on: September 09, 2018, 07:07:09 AM »
Apparently there really is a MLM for everything.... Saw some information online about a CBD Oil MLM.  I guess depending on your state you could become one of those big money success stories.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #912 on: September 10, 2018, 01:46:35 PM »
There's a relatively new one for bedding now too!  Of course, it's incredibly overpriced, and I'm not sure how many people buy sheets that often to even warrant this model.  Then again, there's the MLM that sells toilet paper, and I wouldn't waste my money on the overpriced auto ship feature either.  Or the MLM that sells Maxi Pads, and is often shilled by men?  Don't want to know what that's about!

I think the newest one to market is called Crunchi, and they sell "chemical free" makeup.  My guess is they are trying to appeal to so-called "crunchy" or "Granola" women.

It's like these people have never heard of Amazon, Target, Wal-Mart, Sephora, etc...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #913 on: September 10, 2018, 02:05:40 PM »
I saw a facebook post today where someone called MLM's a pyramid scheme, and the huns came out defending this "completely legal, legitimate form of business".  And mentioned they are even "endorsed by Warren Buffett".

Uh, not quite. Warren Buffett owns, through Berkshire, major stakes in multiple MLMs (Pampered Chef being the most well known one)- but I don't recall him ever saying being a distributor for them is a good idea.   Because those distributors, who think they are their own CEO, but are NOT- are making him, and the people at the top at ton of money. Now if someone can find him going on the record that selling for these companies vs. owning them is a good idea. Well, then I'd be pretty darn shocked.

The business is endorsed by Warren Buffett, not using one of these to "own your own business".  Because he sure as heck isn't doing that.
If you can buy up a successful MLM, go for it. But don't buy-in down at the bottom.

craiglepaige

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #914 on: September 11, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
I saw a facebook post today where someone called MLM's a pyramid scheme, and the huns came out defending this "completely legal, legitimate form of business".  And mentioned they are even "endorsed by Warren Buffett".

Uh, not quite. Warren Buffett owns, through Berkshire, major stakes in multiple MLMs (Pampered Chef being the most well known one)- but I don't recall him ever saying being a distributor for them is a good idea.   Because those distributors, who think they are their own CEO, but are NOT- are making him, and the people at the top at ton of money. Now if someone can find him going on the record that selling for these companies vs. owning them is a good idea. Well, then I'd be pretty darn shocked.

The business is endorsed by Warren Buffett, not using one of these to "own your own business".  Because he sure as heck isn't doing that.
If you can buy up a successful MLM, go for it. But don't buy-in down at the bottom.

But #GirlBoss.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #915 on: September 11, 2018, 10:40:20 AM »
They also try to pretend they don't know what you mean by MLM, b/c it's Direct Sales, not MLM!

My favorite posts are the ones where they tell you that working in an office is also a pyramid scheme, or the ones where they feel the need to validate that their business is indeed legal, and not a pyramid scheme.  Umm, if you have to defend your company to that level, shouldn't that be a clue?

My money is on LuLaRoe failing next.  TONS of red flags. 

Multiple lawsuits, class action and non, evidence coming out about how they gave the better prints to preferred consultants, so it was never a level playing field

Quality Control is nonexistent, as evidenced by the dresses with the uneven armholes and the V neck tees missing a topstitch, so after a wash, they will look like crap

Defective product returns are being forced to take credit instead of refunds

Tons of consultants waiting months to get their refund checks for returning their inventory when they give up and go out of business 

At least 20% of the Top 100 consultants have announced they are leaving and opening their own online boutiques in the past month or so 

Their designer was either fired or resigned last week, my money is on fired 

There are rumors floating that one of the liquidation firms has admitted that they are getting their product directly from LLR, and then turning around and selling it for cheap to discount stores. (way cheaper than consultants pay for it)

Multiple new product launches were canceled last minute, Halloween leggings will not be released this year (this is their best seller), and consultants who are still ordering directly from them are getting product that is old, as evidenced by their labels and well known crappy patterns.  All this is likely due to the tons of return product from consultants that they are trying to clear out, and that they are low on cash so they cannot afford to get new product.

My guess is they are in bankruptcy by early 2019!

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #916 on: September 11, 2018, 12:11:07 PM »
They also try to pretend they don't know what you mean by MLM, b/c it's Direct Sales, not MLM!

My favorite posts are the ones where they tell you that working in an office is also a pyramid scheme, or the ones where they feel the need to validate that their business is indeed legal, and not a pyramid scheme.  Umm, if you have to defend your company to that level, shouldn't that be a clue?

Multiple lawsuits, class action and non, evidence coming out about how they gave the better prints to preferred consultants, so it was never a level playing field

Quality Control is nonexistent, as evidenced by the dresses with the uneven armholes and the V neck tees missing a topstitch, so after a wash, they will look like crap

Tons of consultants waiting months to get their refund checks for returning their inventory when they give up and go out of business 

At least 20% of the Top 100 consultants have announced they are leaving and opening their own online boutiques in the past month or so 

There are rumors floating that one of the liquidation firms has admitted that they are getting their product directly from LLR, and then turning around and selling it for cheap to discount stores. (way cheaper than consultants pay for it)

Multiple new product launches were canceled last minute, Halloween leggings will not be released this year (this is their best seller), and consultants who are still ordering directly from them are getting product that is old, as evidenced by their labels and well known crappy patterns.  All this is likely due to the tons of return product from consultants that they are trying to clear out, and that they are low on cash so they cannot afford to get new product.

You forgot the part about their product being hideous and people finally realizing that screaming obnoxious patterns don't look good on most women. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:27:30 PM by MountainFlower »

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #917 on: September 11, 2018, 12:21:27 PM »
@MountainFlower you are SOO correct on that!  I never understood how or why ugly, baggy, cheap clothing ever became a thing...

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #918 on: September 11, 2018, 02:04:12 PM »
But, for only $55, you too can have an ugly dress with horribly uneven arm holes!!

I'm in an anti-MLM facebook group, and screen shots have been posted from distributors about how to hide the armholes when posting photos so that customers will not realize the "mistake" (can't think of what word to use there).

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #919 on: September 13, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »
@sparkytheop - I'm in the same group.  Quite the sh*t Show!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #920 on: September 13, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »
Ugh. A friend with a PhD in medicinal chemistry is selling DoTerra now. If you like the smell of EOs at least get them somewhere online for half the cost.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #921 on: September 13, 2018, 01:18:28 PM »
@sparkytheop - I'm in the same group.  Quite the sh*t Show!

I'm constantly amazed!  I've managed to keep most stuff like this off my own feed (only a few friends are "girl bosses").  But, I love to watch the train wrecks...

Villanelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #922 on: September 16, 2018, 12:55:02 AM »

You forgot the part about their product being hideous and people finally realizing that screaming obnoxious patterns don't look good on most women.

Meh.  I'm kind of a fan of screaming obnoxious patterns, and I'm not especially concerned if someone else things they are ugly.  That doesn't mean I'm going to pay $40 for them, or whatever LLR charges. 

saguaro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #923 on: September 17, 2018, 12:34:51 PM »

Friend at work was wearing a LLR design which actually looked OK on her and I asked her about it.  She mentioned LLR and all sounded good until she mentioned having to meet a "retailer" aka consultant in order to buy which raised the MLM flag with me and I never followed up.

And the patterns are too bold for most women IMHO and certainly for me.  My friend was wearing one of the "tamer" designs.

economista

• Bristles
« Reply #924 on: September 17, 2018, 12:49:08 PM »
I had to laugh - my cousin has started selling Scentsy and yesterday she made a post on facebook that was obviously a copy and paste sales tactic given to her by someone else. It started out ok "Everyone who knows me or who has seen my bathroom counter knows I'm obsessed with scents.." but later on there were parts that said <insert scent here> and she left it like that! I busted out laughing. If you are going to copy and paste a company-provided facebook post, at least read through it and follow the directions first!