Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 33056 times)

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2017, 05:06:15 AM »

Later on, several of my sister's friends got involved with Landmark Forum (a series of 'personal development' workshops where you are heavily pressured to pay for additional 'training' to become a facilitator and to recruit your friends drawing on your knowledge of their vulnerabilities which is .. uugghh). I was living overseas at the time, and agonized over carefully worded emails warning her not to get involved without coming across as a bossy older sister she would want to rebel against. Luckily, she was smarter than that and her mates eventually drifted away from it too, though several thousand dollars poorer.

Glad it didn't get too bad and she got out. It can get really weird in Landmark, Lifespring, Sterling, and similar LGATs:
https://www.culteducation.com/group/1020-landmark-education.html

A good friend of mine got sucked into Landmark. Hopefully he gets over it too, but it's been over a year.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #251 on: July 03, 2017, 12:03:35 PM »

Later on, several of my sister's friends got involved with Landmark Forum (a series of 'personal development' workshops where you are heavily pressured to pay for additional 'training' to become a facilitator and to recruit your friends drawing on your knowledge of their vulnerabilities which is .. uugghh). I was living overseas at the time, and agonized over carefully worded emails warning her not to get involved without coming across as a bossy older sister she would want to rebel against. Luckily, she was smarter than that and her mates eventually drifted away from it too, though several thousand dollars poorer.

Glad it didn't get too bad and she got out. It can get really weird in Landmark, Lifespring, Sterling, and similar LGATs:
https://www.culteducation.com/group/1020-landmark-education.html

A good friend of mine got sucked into Landmark. Hopefully he gets over it too, but it's been over a year.

Oh drat. I thought they'd died out after 9/11. I had a peripheral encounter with them back around Y2K through a charity I was trying to save. It wasn't a pretty sight.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

caherriman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: July 03, 2017, 12:53:15 PM »
I will say that I do sell for a company. I love it. I do not push the product on people, I have a separate Facebook page for it and ask before adding anyone. I am doing it for fun. Will I get rich? Heck no! Am I having fun? Yes. And I get some of my things I like to have for free or half price...bonus for me :) I loved reading all these stories though!

Dr.Jeckyl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »
Ughhh....

I guess I'm a bit into a pyramid scheme myself. After all when I put more money into my index funds they then create employees (dividends and returns) and then those employees bring in even more employees.

But seriously, my old neighbor is seriously into these. The wife and I went to one of her wine and cheese parties and bought a couple bottles of wine, why not. But since then she has gotten into some company that signs you up for utilities, cable companies, and cell phones. She told my wife how much she could save us on our phone bill and my wife replied that would mean we'd almost pay nothing for our plans (pre-paid). She then invited my wife over to hang out. My wife then got the hard pitch about finance and helping us out of debt. To this my wife replied that we don't have debt (we do but how do you justify paying off student loans that are 2.5%) and that I could teach her how to get out of debt, invest, and retire early. She is now with some company that gives you a Jeep and "pays for it". She is always posting about insurance and financial planning on FB.

ooooh,  can you share what the company name is?

Super sloooow to reply, sorry. It's Tranont. I see posts on FB all the time but the only replies I see are from others with their bedazzled Jeeps.

ixtap

• Stubble
« Reply #254 on: July 11, 2017, 03:44:30 PM »
SIL seems to have moved passed MLM and onto selling crafts. So, only about $1k in machines and supplies, and no cult like testimonials, so far.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2017, 06:42:41 PM »
I always attend these parties. You often get a free gift just for attending, not to mention a few wines and a bit of chit chat. If I really want something, I host a party myself and get it for free. Never spent a dime of anything myself.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »
SIL seems to have moved passed MLM and onto selling crafts. So, only about $1k in machines and supplies, and no cult like testimonials, so far.

One of my friends is doing this, but she got everything second hand for about $200 and managed to sell her first couple projects for about $100.  Thankfully she's under no illusions about this being anything but a hobby that sometimes makes money (it's quite time consuming).

Chesleygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2017, 12:46:18 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I have the same problem. Since I am a stay at home mom, a lot of other women see me as an easy target for MLM. They can't imagine why I don't work a home-based business. About 60% of other moms I know are in MLM. No joke.

I also am a member of "mothers of multiples" and I found out most of the moms join just to have access to a wider network of women to prey on, to pitch their business to. Sadly, I joined just to make friends. :(

I had to block one woman from facebook, email and my phone number. She harassed me via all three. When I told her nicely that I wasn't interested she said "there's no need for you to be so mean about it". I was nice, but I didn't sugar coat it too much or my meaning would have been lost.

They don't even want to sell products, and in fact, many will get upset if you only act interested in buying a cosmetic item or piece of jewelry. Their end goal is to recruit. That is where the big money is made.  I tend to feel uncomfortable around people who want access to my bank account, credit card, etc.

I know many intelligent and nice people who get mixed up in these. I don't know why.  One of the main flaws of MLM is that you recruit your own competition. This makes no sense, if you think about it. Why recruit other people to compete against you?  Also, most MLMs become a saturated market after several years. Mary Kay is a good example of a saturated market.

The free car is a lie. It is a leased car with an option to buy. The person can only drive the car as long as they maintain their sales at a certain level. If their sales drop, they have to give the car back. Of course, they can always buy it. With their own money.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:51:09 PM by Chesleygirl »

Chesleygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #258 on: July 12, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
I always attend these parties. You often get a free gift just for attending, not to mention a few wines and a bit of chit chat. If I really want something, I host a party myself and get it for free. Never spent a dime of anything myself.

You're lucky. I've never gotten the free gift that was offered, they seem to forget about it. And they don't serve food at these parties. I guess that would cut into their overhead costs too much, to buy a bag of chips and a case of beer.

But if you're getting wine, you're doing good!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I have the same problem. Since I am a stay at home mom, a lot of other women see me as an easy target for MLM. They can't imagine why I don't work a home-based business. About 60% of other moms I know are in MLM. No joke.

That doesn't suprise me. I have a friend that recently became a SAHM and mentioned how it seems like all of her friends are involved in a MLM.

Chesleygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #260 on: July 12, 2017, 01:23:28 PM »

That doesn't suprise me. I have a friend that recently became a SAHM and mentioned how it seems like all of her friends are involved in a MLM.

Yes. They're all involved in MLM.  Some have more education than I do, and have worked in more professional careers than I have. So I wonder why they don't recognize the pyramid structure of these businesses, and understand economic terms like "saturated market".  If I look around and see everyone on my block is opening up a lemonade stand on their front lawn, I wouldn't open one up too. Common sense would tell me that the competition is too fierce already.

I am not the brightest cookie out there but I've never gotten involved in MLM.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: July 12, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
Overheard on my LinkedIn page. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the Facebook thread due to the content.

Who wants a job making $75k a year?

Be careful how the income is calculated, here's what that actually means:
-$75k salary position working 50-75 hours per week (sometimes more)
-Equals $30/hour
-$15k in taxes, $60k take home, $5k per month
-$2000 rent/mortgage
-$400 car payment
-$250 auto insurance
-$320 health insurance
-$500 meals/entertainment
-$500 utilities & internet
-$300 gas and maintenance
-$120 cell phone

$568 left over to cover anything from credit card debt, student loans, medical expenses, child expenses, or this thing called retirement savings...
Are you living paycheck to paycheck, or can you skip a paycheck and be okay for the next 3-6 months? More than 80% of Americans don't have an extra $500 at the end of the month, are you one of them?

Congratulations! You're surviving...barely.

Why not find a way to do something one time and get paid month after month? Of course it will start small, but consistently your income will grow for the future; or did someone tell you that you can get rich overnight?

The writer of that is a senior officer of a MLM company that sells residential and business services such as phone/internet/security/payment processing.  I didn't even realize he was pitching an MLM until I looked him up and found him and his company on Youtube.  183 comments on that LinkedIn posting and they're evenly split between: dude, your cost of living numbers make no sense, What are you selling?, and What's your point?  Only a handful took the bait and talked about how life sucks and you can't get ahead.  The Youtube video is him accepting a regional vice president promotion at a massive conference and the whole production (especially his acceptance speech) looks just like your normal MLM commercial. From that video I went to his company's Youtube channel and right there in front they have a disclaimer that no, they're not a pyramid scheme, they're an MLM! It's totally different!

eddiejoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #262 on: July 13, 2017, 06:58:12 AM »

I know many intelligent and nice people who get mixed up in these. I don't know why. One of the main flaws of MLM is that you recruit your own competition. This makes no sense, if you think about it. Why recruit other people to compete against you

Thank you!! I have been trying to find the correct words to articulate this thought. If you had a regular sells job where you were making bank off commission and your boss sent a memo we have to bring in 500 extra people to sell the same products you are selling would that make you severely disgruntled?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:00:29 AM by eddiejoe »

Proud Foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #263 on: July 13, 2017, 07:59:06 AM »

I know many intelligent and nice people who get mixed up in these. I don't know why. One of the main flaws of MLM is that you recruit your own competition. This makes no sense, if you think about it. Why recruit other people to compete against you

Thank you!! I have been trying to find the correct words to articulate this thought. If you had a regular sells job where you were making bank off commission and your boss sent a memo we have to bring in 500 extra people to sell the same products you are selling would that make you severely disgruntled?

But that's the "beauty" of them! You sign them up under yourself and then make a commission off of their sales, their enrollment fee, their required minimum purchases without having to do anything. As long as they aren't trying to steal your customers then you win! [/sarc]

Chesleygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #264 on: July 13, 2017, 08:33:38 AM »
Mary Kay Cosmetics is headquartered in my city. There are probably more Mary Kay sales reps in Dallas, than anywhere else in the United States. Most women I know have been involved in MK, either hosting parties or working as sales reps. If they realized how saturated the market is here in Dallas, they'd understand why they will go broke in the business eventually. Most wind up trying to sell off their inventory on ebay. Just go to ebay. Almost 10,000 listings for MK Cosmetics.

Many women wind up buying more inventory to get bonuses and to get to the next level. They are basically selling this stuff to themselves.  They have massive credit card debt, in some cases. I knew a man who was in Mary Kay and he drove the company car. It seemed he was successful, but I asked a friend about him later on and she told me his home had been foreclosed on.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: July 13, 2017, 03:53:51 PM »
I know many intelligent and nice people who get mixed up in these. I don't know why.  One of the main flaws of MLM is that you recruit your own competition. This makes no sense, if you think about it. Why recruit other people to compete against you?  Also, most MLMs become a saturated market after several years. Mary Kay is a good example of a saturated market.

Aside from competing in a saturated sales market (assuming you even know how to "market" in the first place), the only way to really have sustainable profit in these businesses is the recruitment (down trace? down stream?) where you're making money off of other folks' work. There simply aren't enough people in the world for this to work for more than a handful of others.

Chesleygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #266 on: July 15, 2017, 11:02:38 AM »
My biggest issue with MLM people has always been, they get their feelings hurt when you tell them "no" unless you sugarcoat it to the point where the meaning of "no" is completely lost and they think you're saying "maybe". But it baffles me how anyone can be a so-called businessperson and yet, get their feelings hurt so easily.

frugledoc

• Bristles
« Reply #267 on: July 15, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
I guess I'm a bit of a jackass but I wouldn't mind if somebody got their feelings hurt in that situation.

Anyway, "hurt feelings" are just another sales tactic.

Chesleygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #268 on: July 15, 2017, 12:56:05 PM »
If they want to do well in sales, they'll have to be nicer to people themselves I guess.

It's kinda funny I've known people who didn't like me (and even admitted it, in some cases). Then, they got involved in MLM and were all of a sudden sending me friend requests on FB or trying to get to know me, or inviting me to "parties".  I'd rather they be honest with themselves and stick to their original feelings towards me.