Author Topic: My Soon-To-Be Millionaire Family Members  (Read 238962 times)

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
Re: My Soon-To-Be Millionaire Family Members
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »
Something I don’t understand is why, even though they won’t be “rolling in it” until August, your sister doesn’t look for work now? She’s not the chiropractor, right? What does she plan on doing while her husband is at work? Seems weird.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2018, 03:28:24 PM »

My father used this exact story in his response to her, how funny. Well, this story with a couple variations... either way, message was the same. Didn't seem to take root.

Just so everyone is aware: my parents haven't contributed a dime to this endeavor. They paid for their wedding last summer and that's the last money they will be spending on these two. It's HIS parents who are currently bankrolling them... the business loan is a personal loan from his father. Apparently his father is the one that encouraged them to borrow an extra $30-$40k on top of what they felt they needed to open the office to account for "personal expenses," so obviously the questionable decision-making starts from the top down here. My family, on the other hand, is super confused and concerned about this.

Also from the FIL (lender of the cash): he advised my BIL that "any extra you have left over in the loan can be put toward your student loan payments!" I fail to see how using borrowed money from FIL to pay for borrowed money to the government is not still BORROWING MONEY. Doesn't matter whether you owe dad or Uncle Sam, you still owe SOMEONE...

Is it possible that his parents are actually just giving them the money, not lending it to them with the expectation that it be repaid?  Because otherwise that doesn't make any sense.  Although, nothing about this is particularly logical, so who knows.

As someone who also has a super-spendypass sibling with a super-spendypass partner, I sympathize.  Don't make the mistake of getting roped in financially --- my sister and BIL are at least on a path to make lots of money ---- they'll never have any money because they spend every dollar they get as soon as they get it, but at least they'll support themselves.   

I made the mistake of lending them $$$$ to help them purchase a house.  I'm getting paid back on time and with interest according to our loan agreement, but it still does alter the relationship a bit.  Right after they closed on their new place, my sister mentioned that they ended up not needing to bring as much to the closing as they thought, so they were going to do a sizeable pay down on their loan balance to me.  Two days later, my BIL came home with a brand-new high-end Harley and no further talk of a pay down was mentioned.   I can't really judge because they are paying as agreed and I decided when I lent them the money that I was willing to lose it if they defaulted (although it would severely harm our relationship).  But still, I'm being even more judge-y than I normally would be of their ridiculous choices.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2018, 03:51:08 PM »

My father used this exact story in his response to her, how funny. Well, this story with a couple variations... either way, message was the same. Didn't seem to take root.

Just so everyone is aware: my parents haven't contributed a dime to this endeavor. They paid for their wedding last summer and that's the last money they will be spending on these two. It's HIS parents who are currently bankrolling them... the business loan is a personal loan from his father. Apparently his father is the one that encouraged them to borrow an extra $30-$40k on top of what they felt they needed to open the office to account for "personal expenses," so obviously the questionable decision-making starts from the top down here. My family, on the other hand, is super confused and concerned about this.

Also from the FIL (lender of the cash): he advised my BIL that "any extra you have left over in the loan can be put toward your student loan payments!" I fail to see how using borrowed money from FIL to pay for borrowed money to the government is not still BORROWING MONEY. Doesn't matter whether you owe dad or Uncle Sam, you still owe SOMEONE...

Is it possible that his parents are actually just giving them the money, not lending it to them with the expectation that it be repaid?  Because otherwise that doesn't make any sense.  Although, nothing about this is particularly logical, so who knows.

As someone who also has a super-spendypass sibling with a super-spendypass partner, I sympathize.  Don't make the mistake of getting roped in financially --- my sister and BIL are at least on a path to make lots of money ---- they'll never have any money because they spend every dollar they get as soon as they get it, but at least they'll support themselves.   

I made the mistake of lending them $$$$ to help them purchase a house.  I'm getting paid back on time and with interest according to our loan agreement, but it still does alter the relationship a bit.  Right after they closed on their new place, my sister mentioned that they ended up not needing to bring as much to the closing as they thought, so they were going to do a sizeable pay down on their loan balance to me.  Two days later, my BIL came home with a brand-new high-end Harley and no further talk of a pay down was mentioned.   I can't really judge because they are paying as agreed and I decided when I lent them the money that I was willing to lose it if they defaulted (although it would severely harm our relationship).  But still, I'm being even more judge-y than I normally would be of their ridiculous choices.

It's because you've got a dog in the fight, so to speak. You've put money into their household, so now you have a personal interest in whether they stay afloat. That makes their spending your business, although it wasn't before. So naturally you will be more alert to irresponsible spending from them than you were before.

Part of your response is due to their failure to follow through on the early pay-down they were talking about. Being promised something and not getting it is irksome. If they'd never mentioned a pay-down to begin with I doubt the urge to judge them for getting a Harley would have crossed your mind. But as matters stand it's a legitimate (but minor) gripe.

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2018, 12:24:28 PM »
Saw the soon to be millionaires yesterday as they were hosting a party for some friends who are about to make an international move. Overheard my BIL telling a family friend about 3 new Bluetooth speakers he bought for the party. Said he figures they’ll use them in the office so he called it a “business expense.” $200 bucks each!

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2018, 05:50:45 PM »
...that’s not how taxes work!! You can deduct electronics for business use as long as they were reasonable and necessary.  Lol plus if you split an item for personal and business use, you can only deduct a partial amount of it on taxes, not all of it. And this guy is going to run a million dollar a year business? Haha maybe he’s just planning on deducting the $150,000 loan as a business expense! Genius!

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2018, 03:05:36 PM »
Great news! My sis and BIL have been doing a little shopping for their (rented-with-business-loan-money) house! They scored a cedar trunk from 1910 that they feel will really make their entryway more inviting. It was only $200! Sister also took a trip to Marshall's this weekend for some throw pillows, blankets, and bedding for their SECOND guest bed (of which my sister's FIL paid for a brand new mattress.) Bedding and such was at least $100. But hey, who's counting?

Mind you, I received the info about the 1910 chest via a text message from 10am today. Monday at 10am, a time most normal people are at work. My sister texts me from her sofa where she's enjoying a "bulletproof coffee" (organic coffee, MCT oil, grass fed butter...) and an organic acai bowl, all ingredients purchased from Whole Foods using business-loan-money, of course. Text said "Enjoying my morning and admiring my new chest!" Apparently my BIL had just gotten back from the gym and was laying down to take a well-deserved 2 hour nap.

Am I living in the Twilight Zone?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 03:30:20 PM by frugalfoothills »

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2018, 03:12:06 PM »
Monday at 10am, a time most normal people are at work. My sister texts me from her sofa where she's enjoying a "bulletproof coffee" (organic coffee, MCT oil, grass fed butter...) and an organic acai bowl, all ingredients purchased from Whole Foods using business-loan-money, of course. Text said "Enjoying my morning and admiring my new chest!" Apparently my BIL had just gotten back from the gym and was laying down to take a well-deserved 2 hour nap.

Wow. Apparently I'm doing it all wrong.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2018, 03:18:09 PM »
"Enjoying my morning and admiring my new chest!"
Spoiler: show
What size did she get?

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
Great news! My sis and BIL have been doing a little shopping for their (rented-with-business-loan-money) house! They scored a cedar trunk from 1910 that they feel will really make their entryway more inviting. It was only $200! Sister also took a trip to Marshall's this weekend for some throw pillows, blankets, and bedding for their SECOND guest bed (of which my sister's FIL paid for a brand new mattress.) Bedding and such was at least $100. But hey, who's counting?

Mind you, I received the info about the 1910 chest via a text message from 10am today. Monday at 10am, a time most normal people are at work. My sister texts me from her sofa where she's enjoying a "bulletproof coffee" (organic coffee, MCT oil, grass fed butter...) and an organic acai bowl, all ingredients purchased from Whole Foods using business-loan-money, of course. Text said "Enjoying my morning and admiring my new chest!" Apparently my BIL had just gotten back from the gym and was laying down to take a well-deserved 2 hour nap.

Ohhh boy.  Sounds like they are in for a huge dose of real-life in the next few years. 
Is the Twilight Zone like watching a train-wreck happen in slow motion? 

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2018, 07:22:58 PM »

All I can think about is "Homer, I'm not the one that butters your coffee."

What in the world?

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2018, 11:10:46 PM »
Holy crap. I can see why you’re concerned. I have a relative who’s a chiropractor (and an anti-Vaccer - the person who made the Venn diagram comment really made me laugh), so this is particularly interesting. The relative appears to do quite well (his wife is also a CP), but I’d be pretty shocked if they were making a million a year. It’s a busy, established clinic, but they have fairly limited hours. I get the sense that they are smart about money and work/life balance. I just hope none of their children fall ill from a preventable disease... :-/

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2018, 02:30:25 AM »

That sounds more like an instagram post than a text message. Or is this how people communicate now?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2018, 10:42:28 AM »
Holy crap. I can see why you’re concerned. I have a relative who’s a chiropractor (and an anti-Vaccer - the person who made the Venn diagram comment really made me laugh), so this is particularly interesting. The relative appears to do quite well (his wife is also a CP), but I’d be pretty shocked if they were making a million a year. It’s a busy, established clinic, but they have fairly limited hours. I get the sense that they are smart about money and work/life balance. I just hope none of their children fall ill from a preventable disease... :-/

Whereas, and I'm sorry, but I hope those children DO fall ill from a preventable disease. Because that's probably the only way the idiot anti-vaxxers are going to get some sense knocked into them. A round of mild to moderate measles causing 2 months of quarantine sounds like a perfect punishment for putting others at risk because you don't want to take advantage of one of the most important and impactful public health advances in history (hygiene did more, but vaccines are way up there).

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2018, 11:57:40 AM »

Whereas, and I'm sorry, but I hope those children DO fall ill from a preventable disease. Because that's probably the only way the idiot anti-vaxxers are going to get some sense knocked into them. A round of mild to moderate measles causing 2 months of quarantine sounds like a perfect punishment for putting others at risk because you don't want to take advantage of one of the most important and impactful public health advances in history (hygiene did more, but vaccines are way up there).

I find this comment to be extremely inappropriate, rude and uncalled for.  Why are you wishing harm on anyone?!

It would be the same if someone wished that you had a heart attack, stroke, a mental issue (like alzheimers, depression, anxiety, or cancer) because you never got 30 minutes of moderate/vigorous exercise/day, or ate 5 servings of fruits and vegetables/day. (As everyone knows that exercise and a healthy diet prevents many chronic diseases.  And parents who are inactive, sedentary and don't eat healthy, are more likely to have kids that are also inactive, sedentary and eat poorly.)  Do you exercise daily and always eat healthy Sibley?

Your approach to this topic helps no-one Sibley.
[FWIW - My family and I have all been vaccinated.]

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2018, 12:32:45 PM »

I find this comment to be extremely inappropriate, rude and uncalled for.  Why are you wishing harm on anyone?!

It would be the same if someone wished that you had a heart attack, stroke, a mental issue (like alzheimers, depression, anxiety, or cancer) because you never got 30 minutes of moderate/vigorous exercise/day, or ate 5 servings of fruits and vegetables/day. (As everyone knows that exercise and a healthy diet prevents many chronic diseases.  And parents who are inactive, sedentary and don't eat healthy, are more likely to have kids that are also inactive, sedentary and eat poorly.)  Do you exercise daily and always eat healthy Sibley?

Unless Sibley has amazing powers, her "approach" will not affect anyone, unlike anti-vaxxers, whose approach literally puts the lives of others at risk. This is why your indignant comparison is totally wrong: Sibley not excercising and eating right would only affect Sibley. The fall in vaccination rates has affected MILLIONS worldwide.

I can understand his/her frustration - you certainly don't want anyone dead, but if the children fell ill, you'd hope their parents would come to their senses. Unfortunately, it would probably cause them to double down, because humans are great at lying to themselves.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2018, 01:25:35 PM »

Based on this description of their lives I'm assuming these people must be FIRE'd? /s

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »

Unless Sibley has amazing powers, her "approach" will not affect anyone, unlike anti-vaxxers, whose approach literally puts the lives of others at risk. This is why your indignant comparison is totally wrong: Sibley not excercising and eating right would only affect Sibley. The fall in vaccination rates has affected MILLIONS worldwide.

I can understand his/her frustration - you certainly don't want anyone dead, but if the children fell ill, you'd hope their parents would come to their senses. Unfortunately, it would probably cause them to double down, because humans are great at lying to themselves.

(I'm not arguing the idea that everyone should be vaccinated.  That is a huge topic that many people have very emotional responses to, and opinions of.  But I'll repeat it again for you BrightFIRE because apparently you didn't understand what I said; or you as well, wish harm on anti-vaxxers...)

Wishing harm on someone else because they increase the relative risk of harm done to others is not the way to make positive change.

I used an example of someone's bad health affecting the health of their children.  I can show evidence that would support this claim.  But you don't like that example.  Is it too personal an example?  Let me use another example...
Do you wish a trauma induced paraplegia on someone who drinks and then drives because they drastically increase the risk of other motorists getting physically harmed?  I think only a sick individual would think like that.  Why do pro-vaxxers think it is okay to think like this about anti-vaxxers?  Don't you think there is a better way (a more mature, adult-like way) of making positive change? 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »

Do you wish a trauma induced paraplegia on someone who drinks and then drives because they drastically increase the risk of other motorists getting physically harmed?  I think only a sick individual would think like that.  Why do pro-vaxxers think it is okay to think like this about anti-vaxxers?  Don't you think there is a better way (a more mature, adult-like way) of making positive change?

That would be, um, facts and logic, which anti-vaxxers appear to be impervious to.

As for his example, he wished for something seriously annoying, not something permanently crippling.   Let's not mix apples and oranges in our counter examples.

A more apt counter-example would be wishing a drunk driver would crash their vehicle on their own property into their own fence and scare some sense into themselves in the process, hurting no one else and only giving them some painful bruises and contusions.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2018, 03:37:22 PM »

@Beard N Bones , I have a habit of thinking at a population level. You, clearly, think at an individual level. This isn't wrong, but it is very different and tends to result in exactly the reaction you had when you run into someone who thinks at a population level - disgust and fear. Because if I don't care about a couple of children, then clearly I don't care about you. Which is terrifying. It's ok, it's normal, but you need to understand.

At a population level, low vaccination rates are disastrous, and individuals don't matter - it's aggregate only. At an individual level, each individual matters. Even a handful of people getting sick is huge in that mind set. If you're looking at a whole population, who cares if a few sickly individuals die? It may even be good for the population as a whole because whatever's causing them to be sickly and weak is not being passed down to future generations. In the long view, at a population level, we are FAR better off if a small number of people get sick and remind the rest of the group WHY we have vaccines. The alternative is eventually a pandemic that kills millions and sickens hundreds of millions.

You can apply this population-level thinking to a lot of situations. It boils down to the classic ethical dilemma - do you flip the switch to move the train to kill the baby but spare the larger number of people on the other track? I fall onto the side of saving the larger number of people than the 1. Doesn't mean I won't mourn the 1, but in the abstract, I view 1 death to be a lessor tragedy than 100 deaths.

There have been cases where anti-vaxxers DID change their minds because their children got sick, and they've gone on to vaccinate as recommended. As a population, we've forgotten the great epidemics and pandemics of the past (at least in the US). I do not remember when polio was sweeping through the country, killing and paralyzing. I don't remember measles, or mumps, or whooping cough. I'm not old enough. Hardly anyone today is. The problem is that because we don't have that daily reminder, we also can forget why it matters and other, lessor concerns will dictate the decision. In other places that still have these diseases, mothers are desperate to get their children vaccinated. Because they know the cost if they don't - death, disability, deformity.

So yes, it would be better for the population if a handful of children get the measles to remind everyone else of the danger. If I pull it down to an individual level, I don't want the child(ren) to get sick. (I'd be ok with the mother getting sick though to punish her for her stupidity, but that's different, she's responsible.)

And no, I don't have amazing powers. Wish I did, cause that would be cool. :)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »
The hurling of insults at you for your "unhealthy ways" is just a coping mechanism. Press the "ignore" button on her and get on with your awesomeness.

Someone I know wanted to pay thousands of dollars to get their child "brain balance" therapy from a Chiropractor. Of course, she is anti-vax. So maybe there are enough stupid people for your family members to actually become millionaires? Certainly election results support this theory.

I will be sorry when another too-young-to-be-fully vaccinated baby gets whooping cough and dies thanks to the anti-vax dumbshits spreading preventable lethal diseases (we just got a letter that a teen at my kid's gym has whooping cough  . . .  who gets that anymore!?) If I had recently taken my infant to a game there, you better believe I would go apeshit on those parents. But it wouldn't matter, because I really think the anti-vax crowd is just too stupid to bother with at this point.

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2018, 08:22:27 AM »

@Beard N Bones , I have a habit of thinking at a population level. You, clearly, think at an individual level.
That is an incorrect assumption.
Once again, please note that myself, my wife, and all 3 of my kids have been vaccinated.
I'm not going to delve into the benefits of vaccination - as you are completely right, they have been shown to be very effective in preventing many infectious diseases.
But it seems you've missed my point...
This isn't wrong, but it is very different and tends to result in exactly the reaction you had when you run into someone who thinks at a population level - disgust and fear. Because if I don't care about a couple of children, then clearly I don't care about you. Which is terrifying. It's ok, it's normal, but you need to understand.

At a population level, low vaccination rates are disastrous, and individuals don't matter - it's aggregate only. At an individual level, each individual matters. Even a handful of people getting sick is huge in that mind set. If you're looking at a whole population, who cares if a few sickly individuals die? It may even be good for the population as a whole because whatever's causing them to be sickly and weak is not being passed down to future generations. In the long view, at a population level, we are FAR better off if a small number of people get sick and remind the rest of the group WHY we have vaccines. The alternative is eventually a pandemic that kills millions and sickens hundreds of millions.

You can apply this population-level thinking to a lot of situations. It boils down to the classic ethical dilemma - do you flip the switch to move the train to kill the baby but spare the larger number of people on the other track? I fall onto the side of saving the larger number of people than the 1. Doesn't mean I won't mourn the 1, but in the abstract, I view 1 death to be a lessor tragedy than 100 deaths.

There have been cases where anti-vaxxers DID change their minds because their children got sick, and they've gone on to vaccinate as recommended. As a population, we've forgotten the great epidemics and pandemics of the past (at least in the US). I do not remember when polio was sweeping through the country, killing and paralyzing. I don't remember measles, or mumps, or whooping cough. I'm not old enough. Hardly anyone today is. The problem is that because we don't have that daily reminder, we also can forget why it matters and other, lessor concerns will dictate the decision. In other places that still have these diseases, mothers are desperate to get their children vaccinated. Because they know the cost if they don't - death, disability, deformity.

So yes, it would be better for the population if a handful of children get the measles to remind everyone else of the danger. If I pull it down to an individual level, I don't want the child(ren) to get sick. (I'd be ok with the mother getting sick though to punish her for her stupidity, but that's different, she's responsible.)

And no, I don't have amazing powers. Wish I did, cause that would be cool. :)
My point is simple.  Wishing harm on anyone isn't necessary - whether it is one or many affected - even when you are obviously right.  You approach this situation is like my 4 year old son.  When his siblings wrong him, he will react in kind.  When he gets hit, when he gets butthurt b/c of what his sister said, when he refuses to vegetables put in front of him because his taste buds react badly to them, when he is upset because it is his bedtime and he is tired - he will want to hit back, strike back, whine, shout and pout.  My son tells me the same thing as you have - I can only react this way or that way in this situation.  What you fail to recognize, is that there is an ADULT and GROWN-UP way to dealing with conflict.  Striking back physically, or with words, or with a poor attitude, doesn't help the situation at all. 

How many people have you helped see the light and vaccinate themselves and their kids using the "I-hope-you-get-punished" approach?  Yeah, that's what I thought.  People don't respond well to that. 
Grow up Sibley.  I get the impression you are 32 going on 5.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2018, 09:49:31 AM »
My point is simple.  Wishing harm on anyone isn't necessary - whether it is one or many affected - even when you are obviously right.  You approach this situation is like my 4 year old son.  When his siblings wrong him, he will react in kind.  When he gets hit, when he gets butthurt b/c of what his sister said, when he refuses to vegetables put in front of him because his taste buds react badly to them, when he is upset because it is his bedtime and he is tired - he will want to hit back, strike back, whine, shout and pout.  My son tells me the same thing as you have - I can only react this way or that way in this situation.  What you fail to recognize, is that there is an ADULT and GROWN-UP way to dealing with conflict.  Striking back physically, or with words, or with a poor attitude, doesn't help the situation at all. 

How many people have you helped see the light and vaccinate themselves and their kids using the "I-hope-you-get-punished" approach?  Yeah, that's what I thought.  People don't respond well to that. 
I don't think the idea is to convince anyone by saying "I hope your kid gets sick". The convincing part for anti-vaxxer parents would be the actual illness. And I agree, if in a theoretical situation where one kid getting sick encourages their parents to have them vaccinated for other more serious diseases or convinces other anti-vaxxer parents to change their ways, it would be worth it. If one illness ultimately prevents another more serious illness or multiple future illnesses I see that as a positive outcome. In fact I think it's safe to say the lack of incidence of these preventable disease is exactly why some parents have decided not to take them seriously. The occasional sick kid may be what it takes to push vaccination rates towards 100%. If PSA's could get the same result then of course that would be preferable.

I never saw Sibley's comment as being hateful or hoping for some sort of revenge on stupid people.

Well, not the first comment at least...

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2018, 11:59:59 AM »
I don't know if reminding people of the danger would really work. Some of these vaccines are relatively recent and there are plenty of people who remember what it was like. They just view the vaccine as worse. Imagined danger is terrifying when you don't know it's imaginary.

For example, here is my vaccine fear that I hope I get over by the time I have children:
I was born prior to the introduction of the chickenpox vaccine and consider that to be a "normal" childhood illness that everyone goes through. I had it and my brothers had it and my friends had it. It was uncomfortable but not life-threatening as a child. My uncle, however, got it older while he was an adult. This is much more dangerous and he was in the hospital for weeks. My ingrained life lesson? Everyone should get chicken pox as a child so that they are safe from it as adults.

Now I see plenty of children and even adults that have never had chickenpox and I worry that the vaccine will "wear off" and expose them as adults. It's irrational and I have zero proof that would happen, but I think about it every time someone mentions the chickenpox vaccine. When I have children and have the question put to me I am thankful that I have a vocal pharmacist as a sister in law to beat me over the head with medical books until I listen to reason. I'm not sure I could pull myself from the fear on my own.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2018, 12:08:14 PM »
Back on topic, how many of us had to google MCT-oil? The Bulletproof part is new to me, it almost deserves its own thread of shame.

Are they combining Chiropractic care with Fad diets? Please tell me they have a shop at their new store selling crystals too.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »

I don't think the idea is to convince anyone by saying "I hope your kid gets sick". The convincing part for anti-vaxxer parents would be the actual illness. And I agree, if in a theoretical situation where one kid getting sick encourages their parents to have them vaccinated for other more serious diseases or convinces other anti-vaxxer parents to change their ways, it would be worth it. If one illness ultimately prevents another more serious illness or multiple future illnesses I see that as a positive outcome. In fact I think it's safe to say the lack of incidence of these preventable disease is exactly why some parents have decided not to take them seriously. The occasional sick kid may be what it takes to push vaccination rates towards 100%. If PSA's could get the same result then of course that would be preferable.

I never saw Sibley's comment as being hateful or hoping for some sort of revenge on stupid people.

Well, not the first comment at least...

I never claimed to be perfect. When there's one individual making decisions that are a detriment to someone who is innocent, then yes, I'm ok with them getting punished in some way. It's the same concept as the kid who's a bully on the playground finding out no one wants to play with them - there are consequences to actions. You may not like those consequences, but they're logical and predictable. Getting a preventable illness when you don't vaccinate is one of those predicable consequences. I would prefer that those consequences hit the person most responsible rather than innocents around them. Unfortunately, the world doesn't always work that way. It's not really "nice" to say it though, and that's why Beard doesn't like me.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2018, 03:43:39 PM »
I don't know if reminding people of the danger would really work. Some of these vaccines are relatively recent and there are plenty of people who remember what it was like. They just view the vaccine as worse. Imagined danger is terrifying when you don't know it's imaginary.

For example, here is my vaccine fear that I hope I get over by the time I have children:
I was born prior to the introduction of the chickenpox vaccine and consider that to be a "normal" childhood illness that everyone goes through. I had it and my brothers had it and my friends had it. It was uncomfortable but not life-threatening as a child. My uncle, however, got it older while he was an adult. This is much more dangerous and he was in the hospital for weeks. My ingrained life lesson? Everyone should get chicken pox as a child so that they are safe from it as adults.

Now I see plenty of children and even adults that have never had chickenpox and I worry that the vaccine will "wear off" and expose them as adults. It's irrational and I have zero proof that would happen, but I think about it every time someone mentions the chickenpox vaccine. When I have children and have the question put to me I am thankful that I have a vocal pharmacist as a sister in law to beat me over the head with medical books until I listen to reason. I'm not sure I could pull myself from the fear on my own.

I think the lines get blurred with some of the more recent vaccines. The really "important" vaccines, in terms of mortality and overall societal impact, were developed first. Measles, smallpox, polio, diphtheria, etc - those are the ones that we REALLY don't want coming back. Chicken pox, shingles - yes they're unpleasant, yes they can be dangerous, but when compared to some of the others, not really. The odds of dying from chicken pox vs. measles are quite a bit different in aggregate.

The problem is that people remember chicken pox. And they use that memory of chicken pox as a proxy for all the rest. "Oh, chicken pox isn't a big deal, it's not dangerous, I don't need to get the kids vaccinated" and then they apply that attitude to other vaccines. They use religion, or "clean living" or autism, or whatever as the cover, the excuse. But they don't get vaccinated. They don't remember measles, or smallpox, or tetanus, etc. If they actually SAW some of those other diseases, or developed a new "cultural memory" all of a sudden the gut level instinct changes. One of the reasons vaccinations took off was fear - fear that their kids would get sick and die, because it happened. It wasn't an abstract, you KNEW someone who got measles and died, or went blind, or whatever. You knew friends and neighbors and heard about their families, etc as well. There was an ingrained cultural memory of what these diseases could do, and it terrified people, deep down where they may not even realize it was there. People were primed to jump for something that was going to help keep their kids alive. Obviously, the introduction of vaccines wasn't without bumps and setbacks, but once they were in place, shown to work and be generally safe, that cultural memory helped a lot.

And sorry to give you nightmares, but any immunity can wear off. That's why adults are being recommended to get a whooping cough booster. In the case of chicken pox - yes, there are cases of adults getting chicken pox when they'd been vaccinated as children. However, this can also happen if you had the disease, it just depends on how much response you get from the immune system upon exposure. That's why herd immunity is so important - to protect those who can't be vaccinated or who's immune system didn't respond strongly. So, maybe ask your doctor what boosters you need.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2018, 05:52:29 PM »
Just, Stop. This is the internet. You're not gonna change anyone's opinions .... but you're sure annoying everyone who's here for a light moment of 'anti-mustachian comedy'

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2018, 06:16:59 PM »
My spendypants sister (SS) mentioned up thread is evaluating two job offers for her post-post-grad employment.

SS: I just don't know what to do.
Me: Ok.  What's the sticking point?
SS: Well, my work life balance will be better in one position.
Me: How much better?
SS: Well, I'll probably work the same hours, but I won't have to do the four weeks of call/year that I'll have to in the other job.
Me: What's the upside of the other (less work-life balance job)?
SS: It pays more.
Me: How much more?
SS: $100,000
Me: PER YEAR?
SS: Yes.  But four weeks of on-call.
Me: Would you work a week of on-call for $25,000?
SS: Of COURSE!
Me: Then take high-paying job!
SS: But, work-life balance.
Me: It's a tough decision --- just think through which job is going to get you to where you want to be in ten years.

And that's all the advice I'm giving --- it's not my life.  But $100,000 a year difference.  I can't even imagine turning that down.  Especially not with the debt load she and her husband have.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2018, 06:52:35 PM »
My spendypants sister (SS) mentioned up thread is evaluating two job offers for her post-post-grad employment.

And that's all the advice I'm giving --- it's not my life.  But $100,000 a year difference.  I can't even imagine turning that down.  Especially not with the debt load she and her husband have.

Holy crap. Can I work her on-call weeks for half of that???!!!

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2018, 08:25:14 PM »
Woooowww this thread went off the RAILS!!!!

Few things to chime in on:
  • my sis and BIL are fully anti vaxx. This is a point of great contention for me but I keep hoping the real world will slap them in the face and they will change their ways before they have children. My sis has told me she doesn’t need maternity care with her health cost sharing ministry because she will never step foot into a hospital during the prenatal care, birth, or postnatal care phase. I wonder what life would feel like if you were that confident in things going 100% correctly, always?
  • multiple others who graduated with my BIL feel the same way. My observations are that these “new age” chiropractic types are all very much indoctrinated to distrust conventional medicine

And lastly, a new development with my unemployed soon to be millionaires: they have each gotten separate $60/month gym memberships! On top of their existing $50/month membership to some rowing facility. Paid for with money from their business loan, obviously. My sister texted me after a hot yoga class tonight telling me I should really think about taking it up since it is so amazing for stress.

What the fuck do they have to be stressed about!? They are living the dream!!

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2018, 09:14:43 PM »
I offer my condolances for your soon-to-be-millionaire relatives.  Yet it is entertaining, in a schaden-freud sense, to read each new and cringe-worthy update.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2018, 10:56:27 PM »

Holy crap. Can I work her on-call weeks for half of that???!!!
Ha, for a sec, I got the sisters mixed up, that OP's sis & chiro BIL's $$ problems solved in an epic climactic way ...Ha

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2018, 12:30:41 AM »

And lastly, a new development with my unemployed soon to be millionaires: they have each gotten separate $60/month gym memberships! On top of their existing $50/month membership to some rowing facility. Paid for with money from their business loan, obviously. My sister texted me after a hot yoga class tonight telling me I should really think about taking it up since it is so amazing for stress.

What the fuck do they have to be stressed about!? They are living the dream!!

Is it an idea to text her back telling her that you get stressed by them spending so much of their business loan on other stuff than building the business?

No, I'm wrong. It is wrong to interfere in their spending habit, as it is their own responsibility. It would just have been to great if anyone had ever taught them how to handle finances. Strange that a vet school, where a certain percentage is expected to build their own practice doesn't teach a business class.

Just keep your purse closed when they come begging you for financial help later.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:40:17 AM by Linda_Norway »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2018, 07:47:40 AM »
The problem is that people remember chicken pox. And they use that memory of chicken pox as a proxy for all the rest. "Oh, chicken pox isn't a big deal, it's not dangerous, I don't need to get the kids vaccinated" and then they apply that attitude to other vaccines. They use religion, or "clean living" or autism, or whatever as the cover, the excuse. But they don't get vaccinated. They don't remember measles, or smallpox, or tetanus, etc. If they actually SAW some of those other diseases, or developed a new "cultural memory" all of a sudden the gut level instinct changes.

That's what Google Images and YouTube are for. Go look at the pictures of polio patients in iron lungs. Read recent articles about people who are still reliant on those antique things in 2018. They have spent their entire life in a machine or near a machine just in case. And nobody will work on these machines anymore so if the machine stops, so do these people's lives.

There are urban explorers crawling through the ruins of enormous hospitals and asylums constructed to house/treat people with various diseases that have been eradicated before 2018. We can see how prevalent these problems were back then. Its all documented around the web.

All a person ought to do is read/watch history. Vintage pictures and vintage movies. A peek into the past can really be scary.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2018, 02:39:34 PM »
The problem is that people remember chicken pox. And they use that memory of chicken pox as a proxy for all the rest. "Oh, chicken pox isn't a big deal, it's not dangerous, I don't need to get the kids vaccinated" and then they apply that attitude to other vaccines. They use religion, or "clean living" or autism, or whatever as the cover, the excuse. But they don't get vaccinated. They don't remember measles, or smallpox, or tetanus, etc. If they actually SAW some of those other diseases, or developed a new "cultural memory" all of a sudden the gut level instinct changes.

That's what Google Images and YouTube are for. Go look at the pictures of polio patients in iron lungs. Read recent articles about people who are still reliant on those antique things in 2018. They have spent their entire life in a machine or near a machine just in case. And nobody will work on these machines anymore so if the machine stops, so do these people's lives.

There are urban explorers crawling through the ruins of enormous hospitals and asylums constructed to house/treat people with various diseases that have been eradicated before 2018. We can see how prevalent these problems were back then. Its all documented around the web.

All a person ought to do is read/watch history. Vintage pictures and vintage movies. A peek into the past can really be scary.

Yes you're right. But you're thinking too logically. You're not an anti-vaxxer, neither am I. Logic isn't going to work for many of them - they need to feel real consequences in order to figure out they're wrong. The only way they will is if the cost for NOT vaccinating gets too high. Two ways for that to happen - actual disease, or societal pressure. Neither is pretty.

kenner

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2018, 07:43:45 PM »

Yes you're right. But you're thinking too logically. You're not an anti-vaxxer, neither am I. Logic isn't going to work for many of them - they need to feel real consequences in order to figure out they're wrong. The only way they will is if the cost for NOT vaccinating gets too high. Two ways for that to happen - actual disease, or societal pressure. Neither is pretty.

One of my grandmothers was a nurse way back when, and I remember her talking to my mother when there was some story on the news about people objecting to vaccinations.  It was a while back so I'm not sure if anti-vax was such a big deal at the time, but her response pretty close to word-for-word:  'Those idiots wouldn't know an iron lung if it fell on them, and instead of being grateful they act like their parents did them some horrible wrong.  It's a shame their children will be the ones who pay for their stupidity.'

As much as I wouldn't wish harm on anyone, I suspect she was right and it's going to take an outbreak of something nasty (and probably preventable) before people realize just what some of those vaccinations they're so opposed to actually protect against. 

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2018, 12:49:28 AM »
Here in Australia, we recently passed a law (nicknamed 'No Jab, No Pay') disqualifying parents from receiving a particular tax benefit if their kids weren't immunised. Exceptions were made for genuine medical issues, but no philosophical or religious exemptions. This tax benefit varies, but is generally worth about $3,000 per year.  The rate of immunisation jumped noticeably, and the population of philosophical objectors dropped like a rock. Seems a lot of people were happy to gamble other people's lives on their philosophy but they weren't willing to forego three grand a year for it.

On the original topic, frugalfoothills, it seems you'd be a lot happier if you weren't having your face rubbed in this idiotic bullshit regularly. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the texts to stop?

krustyburger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2018, 04:34:38 AM »
On the original topic, frugalfoothills, it seems you'd be a lot happier if you weren't having your face rubbed in this idiotic bullshit regularly. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the texts to stop?

No no no don't stop the texts, this thread is amazing, it's like a car crash in really really slow motion, I can't look away

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2018, 09:40:45 AM »

No no no don't stop the texts, this thread is amazing, it's like a car crash in really really slow motion, I can't look away

I'll second that!

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2018, 11:12:59 AM »
Quote from: casserole_dish link=topic=86790.msg1892241#msg1892241
Indeed, although to make this more interesting, we should really start betting on when frugalfoothills' brother-in-law will ask his father for more money.

***The winner gets 10 internet points, and the pride of being right!!!***

My guess is that they will make it to January 15, 2019 before asking for more money.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2018, 02:35:55 PM »
Indeed, although to make this more interesting, we should really start betting on when frugalfoothills' brother-in-law will ask his father for more money.

My guess is that they will make it to January 15, 2019 before asking for more money.

Oh, sooner the way they're spending it. I'll give them about 6 months, so say July 15th.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2018, 02:57:13 PM »
Oh, Oh, wait, I wait to be in on the action!

Remind me, how big was this business loan? and when was it?

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »

Ooooooooo!  I love internet points. And being right!  Gotta think about this one.

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2018, 05:43:33 PM »
I guess August 2018

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »
I say in May of 2018 they are going to need more money to "finish the office"

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2018, 10:48:02 PM »
I am taking July 2018.  A month before opening.  It just feels right.  Though whoever said Aug. has a great spot too...that makes a ton of sense.  I'm having to be mildly pessimistic.  I should probably take Sept.

It could definitely be July or September! A month before opening “dad! Help we need just a bit more” or a month after opening “dad! Help! We’re just starting and not as many customers came in as we were expecting. We need some money for advertising- that will turn it around”

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2018, 01:01:51 PM »
My bet: 15th of August 2018.

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2018, 06:18:30 PM »

I don't know why everyone is 6 months plus on this one. My guess is one month before Independence Day, in June 4th. I'm dubbing this day as Dependence Day.

Living off loans. $60/mn/person gym memberships. $50/mn rowing. Hot  yoga. New chest. Bed stuff. Surely there is more spending that we don't hear about. Yep. Dependence Day indeed.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2018, 07:19:30 PM »
If sis is choosing between jobs where one pays $100k more than the other, sounds like they may not be exactly frugal but definitely shouldn't end up in the poorhouse.

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2018, 09:18:16 PM »
If sis is choosing between jobs where one pays $100k more than the other, sounds like they may not be exactly frugal but definitely shouldn't end up in the poorhouse.
Gronnie! Is this a vote that the BIL and sis will not be asking for more cash again?! That's ballsy!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!