Author Topic: My Soon-To-Be Millionaire Family Members  (Read 87945 times)

frugalfoothills

• Stubble
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
Re: My Soon-To-Be Millionaire Family Members
« Reply #300 on: July 09, 2018, 12:23:15 PM »
Alright all, I'm here with an update on the Millionaires! Sorry I've been MIA for a few months, been busy with some (non-Mustachian) vacations and some VERY Mustachian hard work of my own.

I got a text on Friday morning... BIL passed his boards! My dad's reply had me rolling... "Congrats! Never had any doubt he would!" LOL. Literally had ALL the doubts.

This is GREAT news because it means they can actually open this month. Ribbon-cutting is set for the end of July (my birthday, actually... HBD to me) and then they'll be in business.

I've been proud of my sister... she's been responsible for all of the decorating and stuff in the office space. It's finally complete and I know she tried to spend as little money as possible (i.e., spending no more than $20/chair on waiting room chairs, using inexpensive cedar shakes to create a decorative wall, etc.) We were all pleased to discover that they DO in fact possess SOME modicum of common sense when it comes to spending money... refreshing, but doesn't really change the reality of their situation, which is that they have still spent a shit ton of money (and have yet to earn a dollar) regardless of how cheap their chairs were.

They have been working hard by going around and giving "health talks" at corporate offices, festivals, etc. and trying to get folks signed up for care plans by telling them they'll be crippled or have cancer if they decline. You, too, can have (guaranteed?) good health for the small cost of $1,500 per year. Ironically, I threw my back out last month unloading a Craigslist desk that I bought and flipped for some extra cash, and got berated by my sis for not being on a care plan. "$1,500 per year is very inexpensive. It's an investment in your future, by spending that money you are going to have less pain, better digestion, better overall health and immunity." I pointed out that I can spend that $1,500 investing in my future by putting it in the market where there is actual data to back up the return on my investment vs. this text message from her guaranteeing my healthy future, just because she says so. We decided to agree to disagree, there.

In all seriousness, I worry that some here on this thread feel that I'm anti-chiropractor based on my posts. That's not the case at all! I'm a long-time sufferer of back pain (thanks to some old soccer injuries) and see a chiropractor semi-regularly (as needed when my back issues flare up.) What I'm NOT a fan of is this program that my BIL did, which basically taught him how to swindle folks into spending $1,500 on a care plan which they disingenuously (in my opinion) preach will cure every physical ailment on earth. I have benefitted directly from chiropractic care, but I don't appreciate the tactics being used here.

Oh, as for the MLM... thankfully my sister seems to be too busy helping my BIL with the health talks to have gotten herself any deeper into that. She did help "host" a "workshop" on Facebook for a week where they talked about how buying this makeup would be every woman's saving grace, but that was back in May and I've seen nothing else after that THANK GOD. That's the last thing they needed.

To date: zero spin classes have been taught.

I'll try to update more frequently now that things are picking up and the business is actually opening this month! I am concerned that they'll have a great first few weeks (they have set up 200 or so appointments according to my mom) but that the traffic will die off after that. Who am I kidding... I'm sure business will be booming and I'll be back here eating my words come next year when they're not only millionaires, but BILLIONAIRES!

patchyfacialhair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #301 on: July 09, 2018, 12:29:39 PM »
Mar 15, 2018 lhamo
Apr 1, 2018 babybug
Apr 11, 2018 Primm
Apr 15, 2018 expnss
May 1, 2018 neverrun
May 13, 2018 kina
May 28, 2018 MissNancyPryor
June 4, 2018 Beard N Bones (Dependence Day)
July 1, 2018 Finances_With_Purpose, partygypsy
July 4, 2018 Miss Piggy
July 6, 2018 nick663
July 7, 2018 (a Saturday) tomsang

July 15, 2018 Sibley, Roe
July 28,2018 penguintroopers
Aug 1, 2018 Apple_Tango, ShoulderThingThatGoesUp
Aug 15, 2018 Linda_Norway, MSquared
Sept 1, 2018 Basenji, patchyfacialhair
Sept 2, 2018 Pylortes
Sept 3, 2018 robartsd
Sept 15, 2018 avalanchecity
Sept 29, 2018 Nederstash
Nov 15, 2018 Zamboni
Nov 22, 2018 Boll weevil
Jan 15, 2019 Yt(NO3)3

Thanks, OP! Keep the updates coming!

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #302 on: July 09, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »
Mar 15, 2018 lhamo
Apr 1, 2018 babybug
Apr 11, 2018 Primm
Apr 15, 2018 expnss
May 1, 2018 neverrun
May 13, 2018 kina
May 28, 2018 MissNancyPryor
June 4, 2018 Beard N Bones (Dependence Day)
July 1, 2018 Finances_With_Purpose, partygypsy
July 4, 2018 Miss Piggy
July 6, 2018 nick663
July 7, 2018 (a Saturday) tomsang

July 15, 2018 Sibley, Roe
July 28,2018 penguintroopers
Aug 15, 2018 Linda_Norway, MSquared
Sept 1, 2018 Basenji, patchyfacialhair
Sept 2, 2018 Pylortes
Sept 3, 2018 robartsd
Sept 15, 2018 avalanchecity
Sept 29, 2018 Nederstash
Nov 15, 2018 Zamboni
Nov 22, 2018 Boll weevil
Jan 15, 2019 Yt(NO3)3

Thanks, OP! Keep the updates coming!
Sorry in advance if this is a silly question, but what is up with this running log?

patchyfacialhair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #303 on: July 09, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »
People are running bets on when the Soon-To-Be-Millionaire-Family-Members are going to run out of money, therefore asking family/parents for money.

We're keeping the running list for a sense of pride and accomplishment of something that will never impact our lives, but makes us happy as posters on the Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy.

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #304 on: July 09, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »
People are running bets on when the Soon-To-Be-Millionaire-Family-Members are going to run out of money, therefore asking family/parents for money.

We're keeping the running list for a sense of pride and accomplishment of something that will never impact our lives, but makes us happy as posters on the Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy.
Aaahhh, that makes sense now. Thanks! I must have missed that earlier in the thread.
Let’s see, I’ll put my guess out at March 2019. What does the winner get, aside from bragging rights? :)

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #305 on: July 09, 2018, 01:06:23 PM »
Things are looking prosperous in the last update. So I think my guess for 15th of august was too pessimistic. They might just survive that date and ask for money later.

The fact that sister is now being sort of frugal might also mean that they have spent most of the loan and can't afford more...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:24:47 PM by Linda_Norway »

frugalfoothills

• Stubble
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #306 on: July 09, 2018, 01:31:08 PM »
Things are looking prosperous in the last update. So I think my guess for 15th of august was too pessimistic. They might just survive that date and ask for money later.

The fact that sister is now being sort of frugal might also mean that they have spent most of the loan and can't afford more...

I had this thought, too. Not sure how much they've actually spent but I have to think reality will start to set in at SOME point. Maybe we're there?

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #307 on: July 09, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »
"The fact that sister is now being sort of frugal might mean that they have spent most of the loan and can't afford more..."

yes and no, could be the realization that 50 chairs x 150$ is a lot of money especially right after paying the contractors, electrician, vendors, utility deposits, rent... Seeing a lot of money go out the door within a small period of time can be hard even if there is a good bit of the loan left.  I have seen new entrepreneurs get overly cheap when setting up the place of business.  If sister changes her personal spending habits that might be a better indicator of what remains of the loan.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #308 on: July 09, 2018, 02:24:35 PM »
Put me down for October 29, 2018.

I hope to win an epic prize if I'm right, such as a photo of the office!

partgypsy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: July 09, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »
Out of the running! But i'm glad for them the good news he passed, and they are actually going to open the office. Feel the whole chiropractor health plan = toting that various ailments are cured by body adjustment is kind of sketchy, but whatever.

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: July 09, 2018, 03:21:21 PM »
I got a text on Friday morning... BIL passed his boards! My dad's reply had me rolling... "Congrats! Never had any doubt he would!"

Are were sure that the next text to Father-In-Law wasn't, "I might need xxx dollars to get this money machine fully up and operating"?

Finances_With_Purpose

• Bristles
    • Finances With Purpose: deploying resources wisely to live vigorously
« Reply #311 on: July 09, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
I got a text on Friday morning... BIL passed his boards! My dad's reply had me rolling... "Congrats! Never had any doubt he would!"

Are were sure that the next text to Father-In-Law wasn't, "I might need xxx dollars to get this money machine fully up and operating"?

On that point: I would not be so sure whoever is crossing off names (though I do think I guessed way too early) because it's likely we'll only find out about it after the fact, and maybe long after the fact. 

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #312 on: July 10, 2018, 04:41:24 AM »
Well that was a nice, juicy update. Thanks, @frugalfoothills!

robartsd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #313 on: July 13, 2018, 03:10:27 PM »
"$1,500 per year is very inexpensive."
Inexpensive compared to what? I'm a monthly cash patient at my chiropractor and spend quite a bit less than $1500/yr.

200 appointments - if those are all separate individuals, and the can convince half of them that the $1500/yr plan is worthwhile they'll have a $150,000 revenue stream. They might make it without more cash inflow from the bank of dad.

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #314 on: July 13, 2018, 11:15:22 PM »
I have used a good chiropractor for years. I hate what they are doing because they give the profession a bad reputation.

eljefe-speaks

• Stubble
« Reply #315 on: July 16, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »

Aaahhh, that makes sense now. Thanks! I must have missed that earlier in the thread.
Letís see, Iíll put my guess out at March 2019. What does the winner get, aside from bragging rights? :)

If I recall correctly, and being too lazy to search this out in the thread, I think the winner gets 1 Internet Point.

talltexan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #316 on: July 16, 2018, 11:46:50 AM »
How about we give the winner all the internet points?

elementz_m

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #317 on: July 16, 2018, 03:47:08 PM »

I think that would devalue the Internet points, and I'm so heavily invested in them it would ruin my FIRE plans.

Really should have diversified with some of those Real Life points...

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #318 on: July 18, 2018, 12:47:29 AM »
How about we give the
I think that would devalue the Internet points, and I'm so heavily invested in them it would ruin my FIRE plans.

Really should have diversified with some of those Real Life points...
I know what you mean. I have a passive income of ~100 reputation per month on stackoverflow, but is that really enough to retire on?

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #319 on: July 18, 2018, 07:05:23 AM »
Is that like winning the internet?

robartsd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: July 18, 2018, 01:47:26 PM »
I know what you mean. I have a passive income of ~100 reputation per month on stackoverflow, but is that really enough to retire on?
That's about 10x my passive income on stackoverflow.

frugalfoothills

• Stubble
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #321 on: July 19, 2018, 08:57:18 AM »
Today is the ribbon cutting for the Millionaires! There are 2 ceremonies today, and then a "friends & family" ceremony on Saturday that I'll be attending. Throwing a 30th birthday party for a close friend Friday night at my house, so I'm sure I'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the big reveal.

I guess this means that the Millionaires are officially up & running as of today! I'll keep updates coming as business ramps up (or down?)

craiglepaige

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #322 on: July 19, 2018, 12:25:07 PM »
Today is the ribbon cutting for the Millionaires! There are 2 ceremonies today, and then a "friends & family" ceremony on Saturday that I'll be attending. Throwing a 30th birthday party for a close friend Friday night at my house, so I'm sure I'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the big reveal.

I guess this means that the Millionaires are officially up & running as of today! I'll keep updates coming as business ramps up (or down?)

Why two ceremonies - actually three?

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #323 on: July 19, 2018, 01:06:55 PM »
Maybe for the same reason restaurants have “grand opening!” signs up in front for the first year? It generates buzz and hopefully buzz generates $$.

frugalfoothills

• Stubble
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #324 on: July 20, 2018, 12:24:35 PM »

Why two ceremonies - actually three?

I found this weird, too... they had one yesterday morning for the Chamber of Commerce for the next town over, and a business networking group they have been part of. Then yesterday afternoon for THEIR Chamber of Commerce, plus a Young Professionals group. Then Saturday for "friends & family."

Not sure why you wouldn't just do one big ribbon cutting and knock it all out at once...? I don't know, I've never opened a business.

patchyfacialhair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #325 on: July 20, 2018, 12:44:58 PM »
I think it's a good idea. Target the sales pitches to smaller groups, adjusting the pitch slightly based on the audience, hopefully yielding a better result.

As opposed to a big old hootenanny where people stay for 2 minutes and leave because there's too many people.

iris lily

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #326 on: July 21, 2018, 12:48:24 PM »
I think it's a good idea. Target the sales pitches to smaller groups, adjusting the pitch slightly based on the audience, hopefully yielding a better result.

As opposed to a big old hootenanny where people stay for 2 minutes and leave because there's too many people.

Also, timing i i portant. Multiple, eremonies can be targeted to whenever the targte group can attend.

Not sure I wojld worry about too many people at this event. :)

frugalfoothills

• Stubble
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #327 on: August 09, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »
Business has been booming for the millionaires since the ribbon cutting. They are about to finish up their third full week with open doors and from the sounds of it, business has been good. They signed up a ton of people for consultation-type things pre-opening, so they've been working through all those and attempting to swindle sign them up for "care packages." I'll be interested to hear what the conversion rate is so far.

In some non-Mustachian news, the Millionaires got a new car! A 2014 Tahoe, to be exact. Bought and paid for by Financier in Chief, my BIL's father. What has become abundantly clear throughout this ordeal is that the Millionaire's business venture WILL succeed, deserved or not, because FIL will bail them out regardless. They are essentially the Wells Fargo of small-town chiropractic care... Too Privileged To Fail.

If I sound jealous, it's because I am!

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #328 on: August 09, 2018, 03:22:48 PM »
Good for them!

Although we were all kind of waiting to get our dose of "Schadenfreude".

(a German word for "pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.")

Having successful family members is better than needy ones.

patchyfacialhair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #329 on: August 09, 2018, 03:28:18 PM »
So is the contest over since BILs father bought the massive unnecessary SUV? Or are we waiting for an indication that they've actually asked him for money?

If the former...

August 9th (TAHOE PURCHASE DATE)
Aug 15, 2018 Linda_Norway

@Apple_Tango and @ShoulderThingThatGoesUp tie for the win...

YttriumNitrate

• Bristles
« Reply #330 on: August 09, 2018, 08:20:06 PM »
So is the contest over since BILs father bought the massive unnecessary SUV? Or are we waiting for an indication that they've actually asked him for money?
It certainly does seem that the BIL asked for a giant SUV (because chiropractic stuff and all), so...

EDIT: After official video review, the ruling on the field is overturned....repeat third down.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:00:25 AM by YttriumNitrate »

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #331 on: August 09, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »
Congrats to the winners

partgypsy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #332 on: August 09, 2018, 09:17:32 PM »
Wouldn't it be Linda Norway who won? Unless u knew the date when the ask was?

Dabnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #333 on: August 10, 2018, 06:24:34 AM »
Good for them!

Although we were all kind of waiting to get our dose of "Schadenfreude".

(a German word for "pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.")

Having successful family members is better than needy ones.

That was my thought for a brief moment until I remembered their business model is taking advantage of ignorant people. Even if they are true believers in their method, people aren't getting the panacea they've been told they're getting.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2018, 08:59:49 AM »
Internet Points! Woohoo!

FIRE@50

• Bristles
« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2018, 09:05:15 AM »
Internet Points! Woohoo!
Have you decided which index fund to invest all of those points in?

talltexan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2018, 09:10:11 AM »
A couple of questions:

• Foot Traffic is high for this business now. Is there evidence of growth, or could this be a one-time surge?
  • They're still pretty leveraged to FIL. Can they survive a downturn? How does the area seem to be doing economically?
  • My MIL bought my BIL a new car seven years ago. She claimed it was the equivalent of the money she spent on my wife's and my wedding. She has been pretty generous with our HH over the years, so I probably don't want to start complaining. Do BIL and SIL have kids? If you don't have kids, the Tahoe is...to what purpose exactly?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #337 on: August 10, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »
Internet Points! Woohoo!
Have you decided which index fund to invest all of those points in?

SCHE; the Internet still has a lot of productivity growth to add in emerging markets.

patchyfacialhair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #338 on: August 10, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »
Investing in memes would be a better decision. High risk high reward.

frugalfoothills

• Stubble
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #339 on: August 10, 2018, 02:06:04 PM »
Not to rain on anyone's internet point parade, but BIL didn't actually *ask* FIL for the Tahoe. BIL (and my sis) have both been driving the same cars they've had since high school... so in that regard, they've been exceedingly Mustachian. FIL has been pestering BIL to let him buy him a new car, since apparently he tried to buy BIL a new car when he graduated from undergrad, and BIL refused (looooved his beater.) Seems like he only just now caved to accepting a gift that's been a long time coming. Not sure how this affects the contest... seems like it's back open to me!

A couple of questions:

• Foot Traffic is high for this business now. Is there evidence of growth, or could this be a one-time surge?
  • They're still pretty leveraged to FIL. Can they survive a downturn? How does the area seem to be doing economically?
  • My MIL bought my BIL a new car seven years ago. She claimed it was the equivalent of the money she spent on my wife's and my wedding. She has been pretty generous with our HH over the years, so I probably don't want to start complaining. Do BIL and SIL have kids? If you don't have kids, the Tahoe is...to what purpose exactly?

1. No clue, I have to think at least some of it is a one-time surge. They offered introductory appointments ("assessments") at a super discounted price in the hopes of getting people in the door, and I think that was very successful. Interested to hear what the conversion rates are.
2. They can survive downturn because FIL will bail them out. Area is good economically & growing, though their exactly location IN that area baffles me a bit...
3. No kids yet but they DEFINITELY plan on having them. Like, lots of them. My sister loves kids... that's what the Currently Wasted Masters Degree was for, actually. I expect they will be pregnant sooner rather than later, honestly. I'm fine with that... I don't really want kids of my own, so I'm VERY much looking forward to being an aunt!

I'm going to call my sis this weekend and hopefully get an update on things.

patchyfacialhair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #340 on: August 10, 2018, 02:22:31 PM »
The league commissioner has spoken. The contest is back open!

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #341 on: August 10, 2018, 08:28:47 PM »
My internet points broker is going to be pi-issed.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #342 on: August 11, 2018, 10:51:12 AM »

I don't even know how you recover from something like this.

iris lily

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #343 on: August 12, 2018, 11:26:08 AM »

I don't even know how you recover from something like this.
This, and this thread update, is a scream!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #344 on: August 13, 2018, 05:20:06 AM »
The league commissioner has spoken. The contest is back open!

Darn it!

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #345 on: August 14, 2018, 10:41:56 AM »
The Tahoe is an implicit way for FIL to say "get jiggy and fill this up with your cute offspring". He doesn't want grandkids in a beater.

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2018, 05:47:22 PM »
Wants to improve their automotive appearances so the business succeeds and he gets his loan back?

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »
Congrats... I guess! 

I have never understood the need for small business people to have flashy cars; like why would I as a customer want to see what I am paying for?  But society at large tells me I look at things wrongly; meh. 

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2018, 10:05:33 PM »
Talk about a rollercoaster! I check the thread to find out I won!!! And then in the blink of an eye my first place win was stripped away. To all those who remain, may the odds be in your favor 😂😂

talltexan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #349 on: August 15, 2018, 07:26:07 AM »
Congrats... I guess! 

I have never understood the need for small business people to have flashy cars; like why would I as a customer want to see what I am paying for?  But society at large tells me I look at things wrongly; meh.

I spent about $2,400 to receive sales coaching during my time in Cincinnati. My coach--who maintained that he'd built several businesses in insurance and boat dealing--drove an old honda accord. It never occurred to me to inquire whether this was a business thing (did he do it to minimize the costs of work-related driving?) or to try to figure out whether he wasn't as wealthy as he maintained he was. I imagine many people who try to sell you ideas that will bring you wealth wish to look wealthy themselves. This one did the opposite of that.

But a lot of people on this forum drive old, beat-up cars despite great wealth.