Author Topic: More House Hunters foolishness  (Read 33564 times)

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
More House Hunters foolishness
« on: April 25, 2017, 05:55:26 AM »
Last night's House Hunters International, from the wife:  " Simon's definitely a saver.  He'll add up, like, how much we're over budget and then multiply it by the entire year."

Ummm, yeah.  What else would you do?

Who's surprised to hear that they picked the most expensive option?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
Re: More House Hunters foolishness
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »
Last night's House Hunters International, from the wife:  " Simon's definitely a saver.  He'll add up, like, how much we're over budget and then multiply it by the entire year."

Technically they chose their house before the show was filmed, so we don't know if they chose the most or least expensive house they actually considered, versus what the show depicts them considering. 

Personally, I always laugh at the people with seemingly huge budgets that then chose a house significantly cheaper than the other two on-budget houses.  So they say "our budget is $1M" and then look at a house for $1.1M, $979k, and then buy one for $825k.  Yeah, your budget really wasn't $1M was it?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 11:58:25 AM »
You know they have to be in escrow before they film the show, right?

I am an admitted HGTV addict. I DRD a bunch of stuff and use it to amuse MIL, who has ALZ and lives with us. Left to her own devices, she'd blare Court TV all day, and I can't stand the shouting. I also can't stand over privileged whinging, so no House Hunters at this house. OTOH,  makeover shows? Even if they're clearly staged? Bring it On!

BTW, sometimes shows give clues to their actual addresses. When they do, I Google them. Last season on Flip or Flop (train wreck that currently is), they did two houses that were actually side-by-side, but of course that was never mentioned. It's all entertainment, folks.

LOL, I see Chris22 and I are thinking along the same lines at the same time.

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 12:41:46 PM »

Technically they chose their house before the show was filmed, so we don't know if they chose the most or least expensive house they actually considered, versus what the show depicts them considering. 

Personally, I always laugh at the people with seemingly huge budgets that then chose a house significantly cheaper than the other two on-budget houses.  So they say "our budget is $1M" and then look at a house for $1.1M, $979k, and then buy one for $825k.  Yeah, your budget really wasn't $1M was it?

Why does that mean their budget wasn't really a million (ignoring the fact that it was staged anyway)?  Budget is a projected spend, not actual spend.  The last house we bought was about $60k lower than the max we would have paid for a house we really loved in the neighborhood we wanted and about $25k lower than the house we had under contract that fell through, but $20k over a house we had a handshake deal on that fell apart.  Doesn't change what our budget was, which was the highest number we would have paid. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 12:51:58 PM »

Why does that mean their budget wasn't really a million (ignoring the fact that it was staged anyway)?  Budget is a projected spend, not actual spend.  The last house we bought was about $60k lower than the max we would have paid for a house we really loved in the neighborhood we wanted and about $25k lower than the house we had under contract that fell through, but $20k over a house we had a handshake deal on that fell apart.  Doesn't change what our budget was, which was the highest number we would have paid.

Because you didn't go on a TV show after you bought it saying you were considering houses $60k more expensive. 

Spending less than your max is one thing, spending less and then telling everyone on TV you were going to spend a lot more and then spending less is something different, in my opinion.

FWIW, I bought a house $65k less than our planned max as well. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 01:06:10 PM »
Ha! DH and I were looking at a cute little gut-job fixer for about $500k right before we got married. Then his dad died and we realized his mom has ALZ. We scrapped those plans and started looking for a bigger house to suit her needs. A perfect one came on the market for $800k. A bidding frenzy resulted in a $928k final price. What does it matter what our stated budget was?

Fortunately,  each of our houses sold easily and for well over asking. Paying so much more "over budget" didn't really matter in the end.

BTW, when that first place went on the market, it sold for $605k, oy!

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
I always laugh at them too.  Its always odd to me when they have a stated budget but then never show a house that's actually within their budget.  Or when they have a single income, one or two child family with a budget that seems to massively exceed realistic earnings for the one income. And while I like that most of them need space to "entertain" I wonder how many actually do that.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »
Some of the international hunters have been in their houses for years! So when they see a house double their budget, it's because producers thought it would be cool for the audience to see.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 02:05:37 PM »
I find it very interesting to hear the deliberations between spouses. If you have a spendy spouse, it seems like you can usually keep him/her away from the super-expensive option by eliminating the lowest-price one first, making the middle price one look like a reasonable alternative.

It's remarkable to consider the difference between a $850,000 house and a $1,400,000 house, however. They really shouldn't be comparable. But the shows never focus on the reduced stress on the family of not having $2,500/month in extra mortgage payments when they opt to save money rather than bust the budget.

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 02:59:49 PM »

Because you didn't go on a TV show after you bought it saying you were considering houses $60k more expensive. 

Spending less than your max is one thing, spending less and then telling everyone on TV you were going to spend a lot more and then spending less is something different, in my opinion.

FWIW, I bought a house $65k less than our planned max as well.

Well, I guess the "budget" is more driven by which houses the producers want to show than what price houses the "hunters" actually considered when they bought their house, but if they did actually try to recreate something that looked like their actual house hunt, I would think the actual budget they were targeting would be the number to use, even if they ended up buying something cheaper.  Guess it's irrelevant since the houses they "consider" are driven by what the producers want to show. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
My favorite part of those shows:

HUSBAND: "I sell used 8-track tapes"

WIFE: "And I hang potatoes in people's garages"

HUSBAND: Our budget is $950K

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 03:25:31 PM »

Inheritances, and equity in previous house / no mortgage on previous house.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 07:21:59 AM »
I've always thought the focus on high-dollar markets like Toronto was the reason the housing was so expensive.

There really isn't anything under $950,000 worth owning.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 07:35:07 AM »
Anyone tried to cross check any of these house prices on Zillow or elsewhere and see if the price tags were real?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »
Anyone tried to cross check any of these house prices on Zillow or elsewhere and see if the price tags were real?

I've only ever had the interest and ability/knowledge to track one, and it was spot on.  It was a little cottage right on the beach on Kauai, listed for $500k on the show and there was a Zillow listing reflected for the same.  I actually think that was for the show Hawaii Life, but it's just HH for Hawaii. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »
Yup. That's how I discovered that the houses on Flip or Flop referenced upthread are right next to each other. Did it again when Property Brothers did their B vs. B Vegas Flip Challenge. They kept referring to their properties by street name, so a little Zillow-fu sleuthing led me to the actual properties. Since the shows air so far after real-life events, I was able to see all of their work before it aired and figure out the winner based on the actual selling price, which was exactly the numbers reported when the show finally aired.

I also watch shows on DIY Network, an HGTV sibling. There's a restoration show that tapes near where I grew up. On one episode, I recognized the street as being two streets over from my first rental property. The numbers were the same, but I was surprised to discover that the home had a huge pool in the backyard. Despite showing lots of exterior shots, they completely avoided any angles that revealed the presence of a much larger than average pool in the back. Maybe the new owners are planning to remove it, or maybe the producers felt it wasn't germane, but it was a good reminder that you see what they choose to show you.

Back to Flip or Flop for a moment. We own rentals in So Cal, where the show is set. Our Realtor mentioned that she occasionally gets letters from them looking for distressed properties that are not yet on the market. That's how Tarek mysteriously comes across these "disasters".

Speaking of numbers, I read that initially Tarek and Christina were getting $10k per show, which doesn't seem that much. Of course they get the profits from the flip. Though commissions are always mentioned on the selling side, no details are offered. If they're earning full commissions on both ends of these deals, their paychecks are much fatter than 10k per show + the flip profits. Maybe that's how Christina pays for her "insane" wardrobe and ridiculously overpriced accessories. I notice that Tarek frequently wears the same clothes, when she never does. Easy to spot the more mustachian of the two, but only in terms of wardrobe, lol. Their ridiculously conspicuous consumption lifestyle constantly has me shaking my head. Apparently the eighties are still alive and well in Orange County.

I used to wonder if Chip Gaines was making commissions on the houses they feature, but since learning that the buyer must already have a house under contract, I don't think so.

Then there's Matt Blasaw, host of Vacation House For Free. Is he a realtor? Does he have a property management company that manages these rentals after renovation? No idea, but it certainly would add to his paycheck. What I like about his show is there is always a tight budget and compromises must be made. He flat out says, "We only have money to paint this, it will be fine as it is." So refreshing for a makeover show! Based on the way most of the HH-type shows run, one assumes the buyers have already identified a property, but on VHFF, I'm not sure.

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 12:45:22 PM »
Yup. That's how I discovered that the houses on Flip or Flop referenced upthread are right next to each other. Did it again when Property Brothers did their B vs. B Vegas Flip Challenge. They kept referring to their properties by street name, so a little Zillow-fu sleuthing led me to the actual properties. Since the shows air so far after real-life events, I was able to see all of their work before it aired and figure out the winner based on the actual selling price, which was exactly the numbers reported when the show finally aired.

I also watch shows on DIY Network, an HGTV sibling. There's a restoration show that tapes near where I grew up. On one episode, I recognized the street as being two streets over from my first rental property. The numbers were the same, but I was surprised to discover that the home had a huge pool in the backyard. Despite showing lots of exterior shots, they completely avoided any angles that revealed the presence of a much larger than average pool in the back. Maybe the new owners are planning to remove it, or maybe the producers felt it wasn't germane, but it was a good reminder that you see what they choose to show you.

Back to Flip or Flop for a moment. We own rentals in So Cal, where the show is set. Our Realtor mentioned that she occasionally gets letters from them looking for distressed properties that are not yet on the market. That's how Tarek mysteriously comes across these "disasters".

Speaking of numbers, I read that initially Tarek and Christina were getting $10k per show, which doesn't seem that much. Of course they get the profits from the flip. Though commissions are always mentioned on the selling side, no details are offered. If they're earning full commissions on both ends of these deals, their paychecks are much fatter than 10k per show + the flip profits. Maybe that's how Christina pays for her "insane" wardrobe and ridiculously overpriced accessories. I notice that Tarek frequently wears the same clothes, when she never does. Easy to spot the more mustachian of the two, but only in terms of wardrobe, lol. Their ridiculously conspicuous consumption lifestyle constantly has me shaking my head. Apparently the eighties are still alive and well in Orange County.

I used to wonder if Chip Gaines was making commissions on the houses they feature, but since learning that the buyer must already have a house under contract, I don't think so.

Then there's Matt Blasaw, host of Vacation House For Free. Is he a realtor? Does he have a property management company that manages these rentals after renovation? No idea, but it certainly would add to his paycheck. What I like about his show is there is always a tight budget and compromises must be made. He flat out says, "We only have money to paint this, it will be fine as it is." So refreshing for a makeover show! Based on the way most of the HH-type shows run, one assumes the buyers have already identified a property, but on VHFF, I'm not sure.

Hate to break it to you, but VHFF budgets aren't real either.  I looked into casting for the show and the deal was you had to have money to buy the property and do renovations, but the application claimed that the show would pay to make the reno looked the way they want.  Maybe this was just to encourage people to apply though. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
The allergy clinic has a mandatory half-hour wait every time you get a needle, and they have some kind of TV real estate channel playing constantly. There appears to be a show called "Tiny Houses", another called "Love it or List it", and all kinds of others. But the severe anti-Mustachianism of most of the shows makes me cringe. I don't watch the TV-- I generally bring something to do with my hands instead-- but I can't help hearing the bullshit emanating from the speakers.

I was sitting across from a man and his wife during an episode of "Tiny Houses" when the main characters were trying to build or buy land in a rural area and put a micro-home on it. The first question out of the guy's mouth was: "Why don't they just buy a trailer?" His wife immediately started pointing out the advantages of manufactured homes, which aren't limited to the flimsy tornado magnets of the 70's and 80's anymore. Looks like I'm not the only one not sold on the "tiny house with double the price per square foot" concept.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 04:37:00 PM »
The allergy clinic has a mandatory half-hour wait every time you get a needle, and they have some kind of TV real estate channel playing constantly. There appears to be a show called "Tiny Houses", another called "Love it or List it", and all kinds of others. But the severe anti-Mustachianism of most of the shows makes me cringe. I don't watch the TV-- I generally bring something to do with my hands instead-- but I can't help hearing the bullshit emanating from the speakers.

You need one of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GD9CE/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

I've used it in waiting rooms where I can't get away from the TV, or it's just too damn loud.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »

Hate to break it to you, but VHFF budgets aren't real either.  I looked into casting for the show and the deal was you had to have money to buy the property and do renovations, but the application claimed that the show would pay to make the reno looked the way they want.  Maybe this was just to encourage people to apply though.
Oh, come on, don't leave us hanging like that! More details! Spill it, please. Do you have a house picked out in advance? If not, does Blashaw act as the realtor? Enquiring minds want to know!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 12:59:11 AM »
Vacation home for free always made me laugh. There was questionable math going on.  "You can rent this for 10 weeks a year for $1000 or 5 weeks a year for $2000"

Well who wouldn't pick the second? But with no research on market demand.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 07:33:51 AM »
Vacation home for free always made me laugh. There was questionable math going on.  "You can rent this for 10 weeks a year for $1000 or 5 weeks a year for $2000"

Actually this show does what Income Property used to do. (Is that one gone? I liked it.) They post an update at the end of the show. On a recent show, a NJ couple bought in FL. It said they liked the house so much they pulled up stakes and moved into the vacation house permanently.

As to your specific reference, I think I've seen 'em all and don't recall that one. Which episode was it? And "no research"? You sure about that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pretending reality TV is anything other than the mindless entertainment it is, but I'm okay with a little evidence in support of the facts.

And to everyone who snarks on the tiny house fad, I am so with you! I always wonder how bad it's going to look when the stylists are gone and people move all their crap in. Or worse stil, leave all the crap that won't' fit inside strewn about outside. I love small spaces, but the tiny houses on wheels, in particular, are a ridiculous choice for most people.

That said, I really have to give Ana White credit for the thoughtful design of this house, which seems more suited to its owner's specific situation. The video demonstrates her creative problem solving skills and cost consciousness. AFAIK, she didn't built this for a reality show, but for the real world in Alaska.

http://www.ana-white.com/2017/01/open-concept-rustic-modern-tiny-house-photo-tour-and-sources

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »

Actually this show does what Income Property used to do. (Is that one gone? I liked it.) They post an update at the end of the show. On a recent show, a NJ couple bought in FL. It said they liked the house so much they pulled up stakes and moved into the vacation house permanently.

As to your specific reference, I think I've seen 'em all and don't recall that one. Which episode was it? And "no research"? You sure about that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pretending reality TV is anything other than the mindless entertainment it is, but I'm okay with a little evidence in support of the facts.

And to everyone who snarks on the tiny house fad, I am so with you! I always wonder how bad it's going to look when the stylists are gone and people move all their crap in. Or worse stil, leave all the crap that won't' fit inside strewn about outside. I love small spaces, but the tiny houses on wheels, in particular, are a ridiculous choice for most people.

That said, I really have to give Ana White credit for the thoughtful design of this house, which seems more suited to its owner's specific situation. The video demonstrates her creative problem solving skills and cost consciousness. AFAIK, she didn't built this for a reality show, but for the real world in Alaska.

http://www.ana-white.com/2017/01/open-concept-rustic-modern-tiny-house-photo-tour-and-sources

What a neat design! I think they made effective use of the space.

There's a lifestyle well suited to tiny houses on wheels, but the population segment for whom they make sense is very narrow. It's about on par with the full-time RV concept: great if you're FIRE and into it, not a good fit otherwise especially if you're trying to earn a living or raise a family. There's some stuff I'd miss if I lived in such a place. Indoor pets come to mind and so do long, lazy soaks in a bathtub.

When I see couples with small children who are used to 3000+ square feet trying to "downsize" into maybe a fifth of that, generally I wonder if there's a reason why they didn't field test the idea by, say, renting a cabin for a few months and living in it to see whether they could really function in such a small space especially with all the on-camera bickering that goes on. I start thinking that maybe they should bring the cameras by after the first three or four months to see how everyone is doing, because that could be some serious reality TV drama.

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »

Oh, come on, don't leave us hanging like that! More details! Spill it, please. Do you have a house picked out in advance? If not, does Blashaw act as the realtor? Enquiring minds want to know!

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.  We went through the initial application for casting, and in setting out the minimum criteria to be considered, they stated that we had to have money to purchase but that they would help pay for renovations to get the look they want.  I can't remember exactly what the details were.  Maybe the minimum for us was to be able to pay for the house and have $10k of cash available for renovations, but they would supplement up to $25k to get the look they want.  Again, I'm not sure that they always supplemented the renovation budget and that might just have been to get people excited about applying.  We ended up not finishing our application because we decided it would be stupid to dump all of our free cash at the time into a vacation home that might or might not cashflow.  So we don't have any further details beyond that. 

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »
I had no idea what people were talking about.
I had never seen House Hunters... until tonight.

I'm traveling for work and (for some reason) turned on the TV in my hotel room.
The first thing I see is three people standing in front of a (not terribly remarkable) house.

A realtor tells a couple "now this home has THREE bedrooms."
They both seemed excited to hear that. (I guess that was more than they expected?).
Husband asks, "Now whats the price on this?"
Realtor says "Are you ready for this?  1.2 million."

They both smile and the husband literally high-fived the realtor.

Yeah, I turned it off at that point.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 09:43:51 PM »

Ha! Good one.

Mitchell and Web had a good skit about house hunting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoWHzq21tA

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 05:23:51 AM »

The first thing I see is three people standing in front of a (not terribly remarkable) house.

They both seemed excited to hear that. (I guess that was more than they expected?).

Where were they? In San Francisco, for example, that might be a great deal. Same for NYC or Toronto. In Paris, Singapore or Hong Kong, to name just a few, that could be a screaming deal.
Context is everything. Just because you're used to a different standard doesn't mean those prices are necessarily out of line.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 06:05:56 AM »

Where were they? In San Francisco, for example, that might be a great deal. Same for NYC or Toronto. In Paris, Singapore or Hong Kong, to name just a few, that could be a screaming deal.
Context is everything. Just because you're used to a different standard doesn't mean those prices are necessarily out of line.

I realize that, and I don't actually know where they were (it looked like a suburban neighborhood somewhere).
And, for all I know these were two high earners who have a 75% savings rate as well.

The reason these sorts of shows bug me though is because the majority of the audience are most likely not high earners with great savings rates (and probably don't live in markets where $1.2M for a 3 bedroom house is a good deal) - and I feel like they serve to warp people's expectations and goals.

I realize the reason these things are on TV is because they are not normal, which is what makes them entertaining for some to watch.  But by making extreme cases the majority of what we see in entertainment it makes it seem like the norm, and inevitably leaves people feeling as if what they have is not enough.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 06:47:05 AM »

Oh, I'm sure the people who buy them have done research. But the way it is presented on the show rings very false. Every episode I've seen they give the option of two different rents you can charge, and how many weeks it takes to cover the mortgage. Why would anyone charge the lower rent if the market can bear the higher one?

I also liked Income Property.

And "For Rent". There aren't many rental house hunting shows, so that one was interesting.

popcornflying

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 09:33:08 PM »
My partner and I love House Hunters! It's educational, because we're downsizing to a lower COL area when we retire. Watching HH is one way we do research.

We play along and guess which house the couple will pick. It's funny when one of the houses isn't staged at all, and closets and shelves are full of crap. You just know that house was NEVER on the market! It's a friend's house, who are they fooling!

Also, some of the houses have ridiculous features or layouts. My favorite was the master bedroom with a door that opened into the garage!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »
My favorite was the master bedroom with a door that opened into the garage!
I would actually use that and have considered cutting a door between the shared wall that separates my bedroom from the garage. The upside would be the ability to walk out and trundle the trash cans out every trash day without going through the main house and admitting to being awake. Sometimes my schedule is odd and I prefer to not admit to being awake.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »

. . .

I realize that, and I don't actually know where they were (it looked like a suburban neighborhood somewhere).
And, for all I know these were two high earners who have a 75% savings rate as well.

The reason these sorts of shows bug me though is because the majority of the audience are most likely not high earners with great savings rates (and probably don't live in markets where $1.2M for a 3 bedroom house is a good deal) - and I feel like they serve to warp people's expectations and goals.

I realize the reason these things are on TV is because they are not normal, which is what makes them entertaining for some to watch.  But by making extreme cases the majority of what we see in entertainment it makes it seem like the norm, and inevitably leaves people feeling as if what they have is not enough.

A lot of the House Hunters episodes were filmed in the suburbs of Atlanta, which is a pretty LCOL area, particularly for a large city.  The house prices were not jaw-dropping high at all.  To the contrary, many of the homes were rather large for quite reasonable prices (semi-McMansion-style).

One of my friends and his (then-)wife participated in an episode about 10 years ago.  They had already closed on their home, and the other two home options were selected by the show.  They filmed the whole episode in one weekend.  My friends were told to bring several changes of clothes so that it looked like the home viewings were done on different days and that the follow-up was awhile later.  The big schtick of their episode was that (1) there was no room in their apartment kitchen and they kept bumping into each other, literally, and (2) my friend was obsessed with getting his "man cave."  My friend said the money for doing the show was like nothing, but his wife really wanted to do it, so he said okay.  Oh, and I don't remember exactly about their budget, but my friend was an attorney in a big law firm and I remember it seemed to me that their house price was reasonable as compared to that salary.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »
Too small kitchen (or bathroom) is the premise of like 80% of the episodes.

Everytime my husband and I are in the kitchen and get into each others way we say we need a new house. (We have a giant! house)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
My favorite was the master bedroom with a door that opened into the garage!
I would actually use that and have considered cutting a door between the shared wall that separates my bedroom from the garage. The upside would be the ability to walk out and trundle the trash cans out every trash day without going through the main house and admitting to being awake. Sometimes my schedule is odd and I prefer to not admit to being awake.

Or polish on your favorite collector car in your unmentionables at odd hours day or night without the rest of the family being aware.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 12:30:36 PM »
If one family member is allergic to your pet, you can keep the pet in the garage but still let him/her into the master suite at night.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »
If one family member is allergic to your pet, you can keep the pet in the garage but still let him/her into the master suite at night.

Or you could get rid of the family member who has the allergy ;-)

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2017, 01:46:55 PM »
Income Property and Mike Holmes original shows were the best and most realistic, in my opinion.

A neighbor of mine signed up for House Hunters when she lived in Houston, but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the hassle for $150, which is what she was told they would get paid.

I enjoy watching the Tiny Homes shows from time to time, b/c they always seem to find the worst possible people to look at those homes, like the 50 year old woman who is not going to be able to climb up to that loft in 10 years.  Or they have a massive dog who takes up the entire floor space of the kitchen, or the people who try to squeeze themselves in the Japanese tub and pretend it would be relaxing.  But mostly, when I do watch, it's for the snarky commentator.  That's the best.  This home is 120 sq ft, which is the size of the average closet!  Love that voiceover person.  :)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »
I've only seen a few of the Holmes episodes. They were really good IMHO. More than just a decorator's touch.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 01:29:49 PM »
I have only seen 4-5 episodes, but every one followed the same pattern. Gut the HVAC. Replace the electrical. Look, the plumbing isn't perfect, since the house is already torn up lets do that. New insulation and drywall. Heck, at that point you have a new house except for some 2 by 4's.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 07:07:56 PM »
I've only seen a few of the Holmes episodes. They were really good IMHO. More than just a decorator's touch.

I really liked the Holmes Makes It Right series. I like seeing what the previous contractors screwed up - it gives you some idea of what to look for when hiring people to work on your house.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »
That is the show I liked. Fixing other contractors' work. Some of the repairs were so elaborate!

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2017, 05:56:19 AM »
That is the show I liked. Fixing other contractors' work. Some of the repairs were so elaborate!

Yes, I remember one in particular where a couple had hired a contractor to add a second story to their house, and it was so bad that Mike Holmes offered to buy the place from them as a teardown. They ended up fixing it, but it's amazing to see what bad contractors can get away with.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2017, 08:31:44 AM »
Holmes is amazing, but if every house was built to his standard, they would all cost millions.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
Holmes is amazing, but if every house was built to his standard, they would all cost millions.

Not at all, and there are builders who do just that - http://holmesapprovedhomes.com/about-us

A neighbor just compiled a bunch of articles and newspaper ads about our development onto a website, and apparently the builder was like the Mike Holmes of the '50s and '60s. The houses are really well designed and built. One of the original owners, who still lived on the street when we moved in, told us that he had stopped by to check the construction of the houses as they were being built, and, as a civil engineer, he was impressed with the build quality.

The builder himself, despite making a lot of money over the years, never moved from the dream house he built in a neighboring town just after WWII.

TimmyTightWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2017, 03:07:06 PM »
Crazy to think I've been watching house hunters since 2005 almost. I miss Suzanna Whang :(

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »
I'm no expert but I do know some carpentry. Some contractors seem to do the absolute minimum on spec houses I've looked at. It wouldn't cost that much more to use more materials - thicker plywood, more floor joists so they are spaced closer together, better shingles.

Just like the car companies trying to save a $1 a million times, I'm sure it adds up over a subdivision in time and materials. Its why I'd like to build my own house someday. Add in that extra 18 inches of closet depth (my house as a closet so shallow it is nearly unusable).

AHNK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2017, 04:43:12 AM »
----
---

Just watching an episode of Fixer Upper and Chip was wearing a shirt with Magnolia Realty.  He's a founder and co-owner.

https://www.magnoliarealty.com/

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »

The problem is that, for most buyers, it simply doesn't matter. They might claim that they care about quality, but in the end it's location, amenities, and price. I built homes that would occasionally have inspectors saying things like, "it's been twenty or thirty years since I saw a place wired this well", or "I'm got nothing to gain by telling you this, and I'm not blowing smoke here, but you do some of the best work I have ever seen"  In the end, decades of doing that kind of work made some customers who are long time friends, got me a bit of business from other pros, and left me with a product that I could be proud of. The average customer simply doesn't give a shit how well a place is built. I have dealt with hundreds, maybe thousands, of potential customers while holding open houses for my spec. homes.  Very, very few care about quality as a top factor in pulling the trigger on a new home. Many appreciate it, but will not spend a dime more because it's there. Others will flat out tell you that it really doesn't matter.  As for costs, it's quite possible to build a superior product in a normal budget range, but it involves good choices, and competent management on site.  Unfortunately, the entire process ensures that neither are likely.

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2017, 01:38:04 AM »
----
---

Just watching an episode of Fixer Upper and Chip was wearing a shirt with Magnolia Realty.  He's a founder and co-owner.

Yeah, that's part of how he got his start after college/marriage. Interesting side note about them - they have never owned a TV.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2017, 06:00:15 AM »
----
---
Yeah, that's part of how he got his start after college/marriage. Interesting side note about them - they have never owned a TV.
Well isn't that a delicious slice of irony?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!