Author Topic: Medicinal Honey--$240 per pound (Overheard on Bogleheads)  (Read 2903 times)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
Medicinal Honey--$240 per pound (Overheard on Bogleheads)
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:55:14 AM »
Or you can get the cheap stuff for only $70. This was on Bogleheads forum, of all places.

Recently, I have come across the benefits of Manuka Honey and purchased MGO 400+ Manuka Honey, 100% Pure New Zealand Honey, 8.8 oz (250 g), for $35.99 on Amazon.

The last bottle I bought was Comvita Manuka honey, UMF 20+, 250 grams. It cost $135. The brand comes highly recommended. I don't usually pay so much but wanted to try one of the higher-end products for a change. Previous brands I bought only cost about $40.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=242285&start=150#p3803901

(Honey has antibacterial properties when applied topically, but there's no evidence currently that it is useful for internal use.)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Medicinal Honey--$240 per pound (Overheard on Bogleheads)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
Reminds me of when I was at my local grocery store being fried chicken. On Monday's it's $6 for 8 pieces ( whole bird) and I commented about a local restaurant that has gotten rave reviews for their fried chicken. The guy there asked how much a whole bird was and I said, "I think it's $28."

Him: What does that come with?
Me: I believe just the bird, sides are extra
Him: For $28 a bird I would slaughter it myself

Now I know that food costs are generally a small part of a restaurant's expense but yeah I couldn't help but chuckle. I ate there and while the chicken was very good, I thought it was overpriced. But then again I've heard that the restaurant is always packed...their original location won't take phone orders. They are so popular that if you want take-out you have to go there in person and place an order and wait.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 12:02:14 PM »
What's the difference between manuka and regular honey?
It's a monofloral honey and the bees should only be collecting nectar from mānuka trees (i.e., tea trees). So some of the expense might be justified as a result of it being hard to produce and so forth. Monofloral honey in and of itself is not that uncommon (I'm partial to lavender honey myself) so really you are paying for the demand and the potential benefits of the mānuka tree.

Yeah, apparently it has a higher level of antibacterial and antifungal properties. It actually tests well in research, to the point that wound care clinics use manuka honey imbued dressings on antibiotic resistant non-healing wounds. People use it at home for treating skin conditions, like difficult to treat acne, scarring, psoriasis, and eczema.

Source: nurse, who also has skin issues.

ETA: not saying I'm buying $240/lb honey. I buy local raw stuff because that still gives me good results. Just explaining some context on what "medical honey" is.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
The best use of honey I'm aware of (aside from sweetening food/drink) is for allergy sufferers. If you consume a small amount of LOCALLY PRODUCED honey, it can help desensitize you to the local flora. But you have to get locally produced honey.

Learned something new however re the antibacterial properties.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »
I've made it to 63 yrs old, and don't buy any kind of honey. Hrumph!

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »
The best use of honey I'm aware of (aside from sweetening food/drink) is for allergy sufferers. If you consume a small amount of LOCALLY PRODUCED honey, it can help desensitize you to the local flora. But you have to get locally produced honey.

In my experience you also have to eat quite a lot to develop any kind of gain regarding your allergies with this method.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »

In my experience you also have to eat quite a lot to develop any kind of gain regarding your allergies with this method.

Turns out that I don't actually like honey enough to eat it every day, so I don't bother.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 03:36:18 PM »
It's made exclusively from the manuka plant, also known as tea tree. It's also certified and activated somehow or other. There are different strengths and different grades of manuka honey. It's a very good topical antibacterial, and will treat wounds like ulcers that don't respond well to antibiotics. I live in NZ where it's produced, and the super high grade certified for export stuff is very expensive here as well, but you can get MUCH cheaper grades, right down to mixed source manuka that people just eat like regular honey. Interestingly, my doctor has little jars of the stuff in his office that he prescribes for skin ailments. It's used a lot for children or the elderly, or people on significant medication already, who also have a bacterial skin infection.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 03:57:04 PM »
Manuka is the only honey I've ever tasted with a salty quality to it. So, that was actually quite interesting. maybe not 250 dollars interesting.

dbm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 09:47:43 PM »
What's the difference between manuka and regular honey? 

I guess I'm going to spend the next few hours googling lol.

While you're there, look up Jarrah honey.  Cos we don't waste enough time on google already!

Apparently is better than Manuka, comes from WA, Australia.  And looks a shite load cheaper...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!