Author Topic: Marketwatch: Americans spend an average of $448/yr drunk shopping  (Read 3405 times)

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
I heard about this on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" this morning and have some serious doubts about the methodology, but is does raise questions about how much people spend with lowered inhabitations (how much companies encourage that). To wit: "Retailers are in on the trend, even adding more sales after 9 p.m. to encourage traffic from drunk purchasers." I'm also amused that the article's proposed solution is to return things...rather than, you know, not drinking so much.

Of course, drunk Mustachians are probably more like the people discussed at the end of the article:  "And still, drinking doesn’t always lead to poor financial decisions. Some consumers recently reported paying off credit cards, upping 401k contributions, and making other positive financial decisions after having too much to drink."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/costumes-for-cats-and-500-candy-canes-inside-americas-billion-dollar-drunk-shopping-habit-2018-03-06

stylesjl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Marketwatch: Americans spend an average of $448/yr drunk shopping
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 02:54:40 AM »
"And still, drinking doesn’t always lead to poor financial decisions. Some consumers recently reported paying off credit cards, upping 401k contributions, and making other positive financial decisions after having too much to drink."
Waking up from a bender with all your financial problems solved.
https://local.theonion.com/man-wakes-up-from-bender-with-financial-problems-solved-1819572523

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 06:38:01 AM »
"And still, drinking doesn’t always lead to poor financial decisions. Some consumers recently reported paying off credit cards, upping 401k contributions, and making other positive financial decisions after having too much to drink."
Waking up from a bender with all your financial problems solved.
https://local.theonion.com/man-wakes-up-from-bender-with-financial-problems-solved-1819572523
Ha! I should've known America's Finest News Source had already covered this.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 02:10:16 PM »
Honestly that number seems an understatement. Or the average is not really a good reflection of reality. Even for buying drinks at a bar, ordering food at a restaurant while drinking could = 448, let alone drunken online shopping.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »
Honestly that number seems an understatement. Or the average is not really a good reflection of reality. Even for buying drinks at a bar, ordering food at a restaurant while drinking could = 448, let alone drunken online shopping.

I assumed this was beyond food/drinks purchases

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 04:03:08 PM »

I assumed this was beyond food/drinks purchases

Yes, I think they estimated alcohol expenses at $2000 per year. But, obviously, there are lots of reasons to doubt any self-report data in this area...

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 01:44:07 PM »
Hey, don't knock drunk shopping!

Being comfortable numb is practically my only way of getting myself to spend money on some things.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 11:01:51 PM »
Hey, don't knock drunk shopping!

Being comfortable numb is practically my only way of getting myself to spend money on some things.

Lol!

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 06:51:04 AM »
Is this an average among people who reported shopping while drunk? I find it hard to believe that's an all-in number.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!