Author Topic: Louis Vuitton shoppers wait in line for days based on rumors, get disappointed  (Read 3969 times)

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
https://fashionista.com/2017/07/louis-vuitton-supreme-cancel-pop-ups

http://abc13.com/shopping/rumored-louis-vuitton-pop-up-may-or-may-not-happen/2208839/

In a world awash in affordable and functional clothing everywhere I already have a difficult time with high-priced fashion. But my astonishment hit a new level when I read that a group drove all the way from Virginia to Houston on rumors that an LV pop-up store MIGHT appear at The Galleria. Since that's not happening, I guess I hope they find something actually enjoyable to do in town before returning home. :)

Waiting in line at The Galleria for days for a store opening -- that seems like something crazy to do when you're financially independent and retired. Although in my version, I'd probably end up turning my nose up at the offerings anyway. . . .
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:49:43 AM by slugline »

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
Was this some outlet type of store for LV or the real thing?

LV was a popular brand years ago when I was in high school.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Gotta keep in mind that many of the people that waited in line are most likely going to resell it. If anything I would say that's a pretty good side hustle for some people. Still amazing that people are willing to pay that much for clothes, but I'm told that LV purses hold their value...

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
Yes, I guess so. I see Louis Vuitton and other designer goods on ebay, for the same or more than retail price. That's another reason I cancelled my ebay account. I can often get something anywhere cheaper than ebay.

MoMan

• Stubble
... many of the people that waited in line are most likely going to resell it.

They must have been expecting a massive mark up. How does one justify spending multiple days in line unless you expect a really big payoff? Maybe their time has little or no value.

I always get a chuckle out of people who stand in line to buy just about anything, whether it's the latest iPhone, Black Friday deals or event tickets because I value my time WAY above anything you can buy.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
Gotta keep in mind that many of the people that waited in line are most likely going to resell it. If anything I would say that's a pretty good side hustle for some people. Still amazing that people are willing to pay that much for clothes, but I'm told that LV purses hold their value...

I think they hold their value if you don't use them.  So, then, why?

Some of my classmates went to LV when we were studying in Paris.  One of them spent her child income tax credit on a purse. She explained it in great detail to me, because her kids go to a wealthy school and she decided she needs to fit in with the moms.  She complained because another student with her asked the sales woman what the cheapest item in the store was (a key chain) and then proceeded to buy it. Purse buying student found it humiliating.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
One critical element neglected in this story: there is air conditioning in the Houston Galleria.

If you are in Houston in July this is important.  Very important.

MoMan

• Stubble
there is air conditioning in the Houston Galleria.

Very true. But I bet they don't let people spend the night inside while waiting in line!

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
Some of my classmates went to LV when we were studying in Paris.  One of them spent her child income tax credit on a purse. She explained it in great detail to me, because her kids go to a wealthy school and she decided she needs to fit in with the moms.  She complained because another student with her asked the sales woman what the cheapest item in the store was (a key chain) and then proceeded to buy it. Purse buying student found it humiliating.

Nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn't go in any store and ask what the cheapest thing is. I kinda don't blame the purse-buying student for being slightly embarassed.

But I wouldn't shop in LV anyway. I decided a long time ago I have no desire to impress the other moms at my kid's school. The moms I talk to are the ones who don't care what kind of handbag that I carry.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
another student with her asked the sales woman what the cheapest item in the store was (a key chain) and then proceeded to buy it. Purse buying student found it humiliating.

Yeah I do agree with the purse student. I'm guessing there is a more discrete way of asking for that, I would have said something along the lines of, "I'm looking for a LV item for a niece and she loses things so I would like it to be something inexpensive...."

I can see the appeal of walking into a luxury store and buying a more modest item, I believe it is a huge profit driver for stores like Harrod's in London.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
another student with her asked the sales woman what the cheapest item in the store was (a key chain) and then proceeded to buy it. Purse buying student found it humiliating.

Yeah I do agree with the purse student. I'm guessing there is a more discrete way of asking for that, I would have said something along the lines of, "I'm looking for a LV item for a niece and she loses things so I would like it to be something inexpensive...."

That does sound better. I once went shopping in a (sort of) upscale store with a friend, and she pulled stuff off the rack and in a loud voice, asked over and over again "how much does this cost?", when the items clearly had price tags on them anyway. For me personally, I like to keep my budget private from salespeople. 

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
One critical element neglected in this story: there is air conditioning in the Houston Galleria.

If you are in Houston in July this is important.  Very important.

Yeah, except in the ABC13 story you could clearly see that the line campers were outside on the sidewalk on West Alabama Street!

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
The comments are the best!

"I think girls buy expensive designer purses to impress other girls. I mean c'mon, when's the last time you heard a guy say something like, 'she was ugly, but that purse bro...I couldn't resist!!'."

"Never know, the nice purse could lead some mice to the cheese they are after."

"stinky, unwashed cheese"

"Oh, that's nasty tasting,but I'll get over it."