Author Topic: Got a Lecture from Car Dealer Finance Guy  (Read 24867 times)

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
Re: Got a Lecture from Car Dealer Finance Guy
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2019, 12:33:17 PM »
Well thank you @jinga nation.  I did the "internet inquiry" and they quoted a price that is substantially lower than what I was planning to offer.  The almost $8k car is now under $6k.  The salesperson's comment was:  "this car has been here a while and needs to go".  I almost can't lose on this deal, unless the Carfax and photos are lying/hiding a big problem.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 12:36:27 PM by Pizzabrewer »

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2019, 09:45:22 PM »

Me: "You might want to listen to some Dave Ramsey."

Finance Guy: (pointing to cell phone) "Oh, I listen to him all the time. He's a big fan of leasing cars."

Me: "I think you got the wrong guy."

I bet Ramsey would love to plug that dealership.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2019, 09:42:25 AM »
I don't do a lot of the Dave Ramsey stuff.

But I've found that dropping his name ends a lot of conversations where people are trying to sell me something.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2020, 12:18:12 AM »
I don't do a lot of the Dave Ramsey stuff.

But I've found that dropping his name ends a lot of conversations where people are trying to sell me something.

Timeshare salesman said that buying from him was like the Dave Ramsey plan for vacationing.

Which is true if words don't have meanings.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2020, 04:08:45 PM »
Sometimes there can be surprises on the financing even if you read the terms and conditions, 2 cars ago they offered us another $500 off if we got their financing, no minimum # of payments needed.  We took it, planning to pay it off in cash that week, but;

1. It turned out it took well over a month for them to generate the loan stuff, so we had to pay almost 2 months interest on it, and
2. We had to pay the state title fee a second time to get another title that didn't have the bank on it as lien holder.

We still ended up saving about $200 out of the $500 we'd expected, but it was barely worth it for all the extra hassle. 

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2020, 01:29:03 AM »
A few years ago I was on a forum that was basically all women talking about dating. A small minority of those women were very interested in how to determine what a man might be earning, and a couple of the posters quite smugly said that they could tell exactly by what he was wearing and what he drove.

I pointed out that if finances were a priority, what they really needed to know was net worth, not salary. And I reminded them that if you're sitting in it, or it's on his wrist, it isn't in his bank account. I thought that they were probably dating guys who believed that you should spend a year's salary on a car, and would be on the bread line in two months if their brokerage firm got bought out.

I knew some very wealthy people who had made their own money, and they didn't flash it. The men had nice watches and usually drove a very nice car, but the thing that stood out to me was their quiet confidence.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2020, 06:27:46 AM »
My FiL literally bought a new car the weekend before the lockdown. It's sat in his garage, he's perhaps driven one tank of gas worth in the ten weeks he's owned it. I think about all my buddies who lease, who have to keep making these payments for a car they're not even needing to drive.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2020, 10:07:57 AM »
My FiL literally bought a new car the weekend before the lockdown. It's sat in his garage, he's perhaps driven one tank of gas worth in the ten weeks he's owned it. I think about all my buddies who lease, who have to keep making these payments for a car they're not even needing to drive.

Crazy, right? I put 6 miles on my car in April, and 6 miles so far this month. Only 650 miles this year so far.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2020, 07:48:45 PM »
A few years ago I was on a forum that was basically all women talking about dating. A small minority of those women were very interested in how to determine what a man might be earning, and a couple of the posters quite smugly said that they could tell exactly by what he was wearing and what he drove.

I pointed out that if finances were a priority, what they really needed to know was net worth, not salary. And I reminded them that if you're sitting in it, or it's on his wrist, it isn't in his bank account. I thought that they were probably dating guys who believed that you should spend a year's salary on a car, and would be on the bread line in two months if their brokerage firm got bought out.

I knew some very wealthy people who had made their own money, and they didn't flash it. The men had nice watches and usually drove a very nice car, but the thing that stood out to me was their quiet confidence.

More to the point, you can't infer salary from possessions either. Anyone on a middling salary can live a high life by going into debt or neglecting investments.

Girls I date never see my car till we are in an exclusive relationship. I make an excuse to never drive for the first handful (or more) of dates. I don't want them judging me or trying to infer anything about my financial position.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2020, 09:36:50 PM »
I always figured that anyone who would judge me for my car was probably not a good fit for a relationship and the self filtering there was probably a win for both parties.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2020, 05:51:29 AM »
I totally judged my other half on her car that she turned up in for our first date.
It was a 15 yo toyota!
she still has it.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2020, 06:30:48 AM »
My wife upgraded from a Ford Focus to a Subaru, and suddenly she seemed really attractive.

I miss that Subaru, sold it to a neighbor after we'd been married six years.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2020, 07:51:50 AM »
There's a music video on YouTube called "No Car Note" that kind of touches on the dating/car thing.  It's pretty good.  Same guy has another song out about finally paying Sallie Mae back. 

As far as car shopping goes, I loathe everything about it.  From the sleazy dealers that list their cars with every single possible discount so the price listed is one that nobody is ever going to qualify for.  To the salespeople who don't seem to understand that when I call up and tell you I want a specific car with specific features that I'm not going to settle for "just as good as" because that's what's been sitting on your lot.  My MO is to buy exactly what I want and drive it for 10 or 15 years.

I have to say that my most recent purchase at CarMax wasn't too bad.  The salesman knew from the get-go that I'd be dealing with an insurance payout so he didn't even mention financing.  He knew that I would be replacing my car with one damn near just like it that I was having delivered to the closest dealership so he wasn't trying to sell me anything else on that was currently on their lot.  I might have paid a little too much (according to the dude at my local dealership while I was there having a recall taken care of...too bad his response to my inquiry was more or less "good luck finding that unicorn"), but I'm satisfied that I got exactly what I wanted, with 60k fewer miles than my old one for just a bit more than what the insurance paid out on it. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2020, 12:24:17 PM »
Sugaree - what you said... That's our SOP too.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2020, 12:35:06 PM »
Sugaree - what you said... That's our SOP too.

+1

Why do you still drive that thing?

I bought it because I liked it, it still runs well and I HATE car shopping!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2020, 01:18:16 PM »
Yes we still drive our old cars a long time. Not expensive to maintain DIY style.

One will become our teenager's first car. Teen can take care of it and make it last until they can afford something better or they can ruin it and be carless. Its not worth anything much on the used market but its reliable and safe and looks okay.

We have one nice car, several cars worth very little. My goal this year is to thin the herd a little.

We went the CarMax route too for precisely the reasons you listed. Absolutely hate the dealer process. Have experienced all the lies and games at one time or another.

CarMax had a spotless vehicle for a good price (between NADA and KBB) and it has been utterly reliable for many years now. I have the itch for another newer car similar to what we are driving but its pointless. A wash and a wax and I'm satisfied again. I'll ignore for a few more years the character marks it has gained from bicycles stored too close to the paint and the mark on the back from our eldest not paying attention.

I hate payments as much as the dealer experience.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2020, 07:17:59 AM »
What time horizon is reasonable for "teenager's first car"? My older child turned eight in January, and I have a Camry with 136,000 miles. Under BAU (pre-'Rona), I was averaging 1,000 mi/month. So it'd be around 220,000 miles by the time she's learning to drive. I guess buying a used Toyota with about that many miles is what would be optimal for a teenage driver. So maybe I should just let it ride?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2020, 07:49:55 AM »
My kid turns 7 next week.  Ideally, he'll get the one I'm driving now (7 years old, but only 36k miles), and I'll get something new.  Otherwise, he might end up driving a '69 VW campervan.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2020, 08:30:23 AM »
My kid turns 7 next week.  Ideally, he'll get the one I'm driving now (7 years old, but only 36k miles), and I'll get something new.  Otherwise, he might end up driving a '69 VW campervan.
He could be driving a 60 year old campervan?   That (to me) would be awesome!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2020, 01:28:10 PM »
What time horizon is reasonable for "teenager's first car"? My older child turned eight in January, and I have a Camry with 136,000 miles. Under BAU (pre-'Rona), I was averaging 1,000 mi/month. So it'd be around 220,000 miles by the time she's learning to drive. I guess buying a used Toyota with about that many miles is what would be optimal for a teenage driver. So maybe I should just let it ride?
That's a great question, and it's one I've thought about a lot myself.  The conclusion I came to is this:  The used car market is very liquid and very large, and when your kid gets old enough to drive, you'll be able to find exactly the car you want to get for his/her use.  In other words, you don't need to think now about what kind of car your kid will drive eight years from now, and there's no need to "save" a particular car so that they can drive it

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2020, 05:48:32 AM »
Otherwise, he might end up driving a '69 VW campervan.

When I was 17, I had a date but my car was broken down, so I had to borrow my mom's van.  I showed up at my date's house and knocked on the the door.  Her dad answered, looked at the van in the driveway, and chuckled "It's not going to happen, kid."

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2020, 06:23:03 AM »
I always figured that anyone who would judge me for my car was probably not a good fit for a relationship and the self filtering there was probably a win for both parties.
When you swing by to pick up your date on your mountain bike and she like it then you'll know you found a keeper  :). I use to have an very old (but nice-ish) ford ranger truck and it was very funny to see men I was newly dating react to it - especially here in fancy image conscious SoCal and especially if dressed up. It was the fastest weeding out process ever!

In recent years they stopped making the Ford Ranger, although they’ve started up again with a bigger fancier version. Anyway —

DH had a little Ford ranger that was a few years old and rather than being dissed, people would come up to him and want to buy it. Because the small trucks are very useful and popular around here.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2020, 07:36:11 AM »

When I was 17, I had a date but my car was broken down, so I had to borrow my mom's van.  I showed up at my date's house and knocked on the the door.  Her dad answered, looked at the van in the driveway, and chuckled "It's not going to happen, kid."

At first I thought dad was implying you were somehow uncool for driving your mom's car. But I realize that driving a van could also mean you're some kind of sex pervert who takes advantage of the extra space in the back.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2020, 08:10:23 AM »

At first I thought dad was implying you were somehow uncool for driving your mom's car. But I realize that driving a van could also mean you're some kind of sex pervert who takes advantage of the extra space in the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jOT4kdO50Q

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2020, 11:35:01 AM »
DH had a little Ford ranger that was a few years old and rather than being dissed, people would come up to him and want to buy it. Because the small trucks are very useful and popular around here.
That's the weirdest thing--I've had it happen to me as well, but with a different vehicle.  About 15 years ago, I had a '94 Civic. Over the two years I owned it, I got several unsolicited offers to buy it. As in people knocking on my door, asking if it was for sale.  I guess there's something about old beaters with a reputation for reliability.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:59:16 PM by zolotiyeruki »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2020, 01:16:27 PM »

Does being 17, on a date, and hoping to hook up make one a “sex pervert” or just a normal 17y/o?

Asking for a friend...

phildonnia

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2020, 05:19:45 PM »
Me: "You might want to listen to some Dave Ramsey."

Finance Guy: (pointing to cell phone) "Oh, I listen to him all the time. He's a big fan of leasing cars."

I'd be surprised if DR himself didn't feel a great disturbance in the Force from that statement.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2020, 06:11:22 PM »
When our kids were old enough to drive we gave them the oldest one and got a newer one for ourselves.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2020, 09:59:37 AM »
HaHaHa! We bought an RV in early March. We used it one night before SIP came down. It's been sitting in our driveway ever since. Oh well, as least it was used when we bought it, so it probably hasn't depreciated much. Not gonna look.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2020, 01:59:41 PM »
My MiL was at our house today, and FiL drove over for an unrelated project. So having that car meant he didn't have to walk 2/3 of a mile.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2020, 10:01:49 AM »
Recently heard two very expensive RV stories.

One owner of a then new RV discovered how expensive it is to travel in a house getting 8 MPG and has parked it for several years now. Two trips total.

Now they can't use it even if they want b/c it is starting have problems serious enough that it will require a housecall or a tow truck to get it to service. Thousands of dollars they were quoted recently. If $1500 of fuel is too expensive for a long trip then a vehicle like that isn't the one to own.

Another is an expensive, large class B (?) Mercedes camper that was purchased and used once. Owner not so sure they like camping or driving such a large vehicle after all. Its parked outside.

Perhaps the second owners of these vehicles will enjoy them more.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2020, 11:18:03 AM »
A few years ago, I was really dreaming of a towable RV.  How nice it would be to hitch up and go see things!  I was very close to buying one, but noticed I could rent the same thing.  After a week rental, so glad I did not buy.  It was a nice trip, but the dreams were better than reality.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2020, 01:31:52 PM »
A few years ago, I was really dreaming of a towable RV.  How nice it would be to hitch up and go see things!  I was very close to buying one, but noticed I could rent the same thing.  After a week rental, so glad I did not buy.  It was a nice trip, but the dreams were better than reality.

I often fantasize about selling the house and RVing off into the sunset with the Venomous Spaz Beast riding shotgun. Yet I've listened to enough people who have done that in real life to be aware that there are down sides I hadn't initially considered.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2020, 06:35:11 PM »

One owner of a then new RV discovered how expensive it is to travel in a house getting 8 MPG and has parked it for several years now. Two trips total.

Now they can't use it even if they want b/c it is starting have problems serious enough that it will require a housecall or a tow truck to get it to service. Thousands of dollars they were quoted recently. If $1500 of fuel is too expensive for a long trip then a vehicle like that isn't the one to own.

Another is an expensive, large class B (?) Mercedes camper that was purchased and used once. Owner not so sure they like camping or driving such a large vehicle after all. Its parked outside.

Remember that old saying if you have to ask the gas mileage, you probably can't afford the car?

Hahahahaha, DH and I (well, DH mostly) just bought a big class B RV. We used it exactly one night before the Shelter In Place orders took effect. Fortunately,  we bought it used. Unfortunately, the dude who sold it to us was selling it because he had the newest version of the same rig on order. It was due in July. Thanks to the pandemic, the manufacturer has notified him not to expect it before 2021.

We do plan to enjoy the shit out of it, we're just not sure exactly when.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2020, 04:32:48 AM »

Remember that old saying if you have to ask the gas mileage, you probably can't afford the car?

Hahahahaha, DH and I (well, DH mostly) just bought a big class B RV. We used it exactly one night before the Shelter In Place orders took effect. Fortunately,  we bought it used. Unfortunately, the dude who sold it to us was selling it because he had the newest version of the same rig on order. It was due in July. Thanks to the pandemic, the manufacturer has notified him not to expect it before 2021.

hey @Dicey   you could rent your rig back to him for a tidy profit now.....

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2020, 05:56:35 AM »

hey @Dicey   you could rent your rig back to him for a tidy profit now.....
Oh heavens, no! DH has spent the last few months going over it from stem to stern. The previous owner was a throw-money-at-the-problem kind of guy. DH is a figure-out-the-root-of-the-problem and fix-it-forever dude. No way would he let his new baby back into the hands of her old "oppressor". Plus, to borrow a phrase from our dear @Sailor Sam, there are stick boat units involved. Ewww!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2020, 11:17:43 AM »
We're hankering to visit our granddaughter (and her parents) for her birthday next month. If we do it, we'll do exactly what you're suggesting, @spartana. Two days there, three to four day visit, wherein we park/camp on the street in their neighborhood (perfectly legal, lovely, and generally readily available), and then two days back.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2020, 11:59:48 AM »
We're hankering to visit our granddaughter (and her parents) for her birthday next month. If we do it, we'll do exactly what you're suggesting, @spartana. Two days there, three to four day visit, wherein we park/camp on the street in their neighborhood (perfectly legal, lovely, and generally readily available), and then two days back.
Lots of campground aren't opening up yet (or ate closing again...at least in state and Nat Parks) but I think most private ones are open and if you are self contained even a longer road trip is probably very doable. And might even be safer depending on your at-home circumstances. Since covid crushed my overseas travel plans (via bike touring and train) I'm looking at getting a small van so I can get away. I'm finding it MORE difficult to social distance at home now that everyone is going back to work and play in large crowds while our numbers increase. But don't want to car shop now, and this thread isn't helping me with that!
We're self-contained and wouldn't mind doing a little stealth camping if necessary on the way to/from. If I was car shopping now, I'd probably try private party and hat, mask and glove up. Maybe bring a can of Lysol to spray on the surfaces and let it air out a bit before you test drive. Once home, spray it again and leave it standing open in the hot sunlight for a few hours. Heck, if you're really worried, Tyvek suits are cheap. Hot as hell, but cheap. I suspect people are going to start selling things off to keep themselves afloat. It might be a good time to buy. Good luck!

One more thought - if you use Next Door or similar, you can post an ISO ad. Using a picture of something similar to what you're looking for will guarantee more eyeballs will see the post. Somebody might have something they want to get rid of, but just haven't had the time or the right incentive.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2020, 11:40:12 AM »

I'm working on a popup camper deal. Old but stored inside all its life. Lightly used. Cheap - like a few nights in a condo cheap. Needs tires and a bath. We'll see.

Cheap enough to use for a season and sell it on if it isn't for us. Light enough to tow without buying a larger family car.

Friend stopped by and told me about their RV maintenance challenges. He had alot to tell. ;)

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2020, 12:42:43 PM »
Friend stopped by and told me about their RV maintenance challenges. He had alot to tell. ;)
I'm considering leaving the RV industry for good, it's pretty toxic.