Author Topic: Literally throwing money in the trash  (Read 24189 times)

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Literally throwing money in the trash
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2017, 05:34:52 AM »
There was at least some rationale being used in the first post even if "I didn't want them to rust" seems funny to us.

I was in the grocery store last week.  The woman ahead of me dropped her change (coins).  Me being me quickly calculated the value of $0.65 (two quarters, one dime, one nickel).  The women looked at them and then turned and left.  It blew my mind.

I picked up and kept the money.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »
Thanks for the story, I found it amusing and touching.  As someone who once worked at a movie theatre, I've worked with a couple "Joe" types.  I do landscaping now and routinely find half a roll of pennies or random change scattered around the base of a garbage can or bench.  I laugh and pick it up and add to the change jar. 
I go to a lot of garage sales and I always ask if people have a coin collection they might sell, and one time a lady told me her friend had a big collection (like a bunch of boxes and binders full) but thought it was worthless and couldn't spend or sell it, so she threw it in the garbage.  There's a good chance it was worth a shitload of money.  Facepalm

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2017, 01:22:44 PM »
There was at least some rationale being used in the first post even if "I didn't want them to rust" seems funny to us.

I was in the grocery store last week.  The woman ahead of me dropped her change (coins).  Me being me quickly calculated the value of $0.65 (two quarters, one dime, one nickel).  The women looked at them and then turned and left.  It blew my mind.

Speaking of clean coins, https://www.pcgs.com/News/The-Man-Who-Washes-Coins-For-A-Living

ExitViaTheCashRamp

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2017, 12:42:07 PM »
I find it funny how y'all have all these names for money! In England there might be a couple of regional nicknames but I've never heard them. We call a 10p a 10p and a pound a pound!

Apart from the wiki list from dragoncar I can think of:

Quid
Grand
Ton
Pony
Monkey
Nugget
Score

Shrapnel, though that really means a collection of coins

perhaps fiver, tenner e.t.c but guess that is commonly used everywhere. Then you could of course include cockney e.g. Lady Godiva, Ayrton e.t.c.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2017, 12:54:14 PM »
I find it funny how y'all have all these names for money! In England there might be a couple of regional nicknames but I've never heard them. We call a 10p a 10p and a pound a pound!

Apart from the wiki list from dragoncar I can think of:

Quid
Grand
Ton
Pony
Monkey
Nugget
Score

Shrapnel, though that really means a collection of coins

perhaps fiver, tenner e.t.c but guess that is commonly used everywhere. Then you could of course include cockney e.g. Lady Godiva, Ayrton e.t.c.

The only ones I have ever heard used are quid and grand. (Which, to be fair, I had forgotten about.)

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2017, 08:24:31 PM »
My husband is from Scotland and he says Quid, for money, although I"m not sure what amount he's referring to.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2017, 08:24:23 AM »

Speaking of clean coins, https://www.pcgs.com/News/The-Man-Who-Washes-Coins-For-A-Living

I remember seeing a show on TV about that.  It started to keep the ladies' gloves clean (back when ladies wore gloves).

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2017, 09:10:08 AM »
The above was a Simpsons quote.  We don't call nickels "bees". 

OP. I don't like when people make fun of retards.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »
We both empty our pockets and she empties her purse if we have coins. Just throw it into an old fast food cup...when it fills up, we stop by our credit union which has a free coin counting machine. It spits out a receipt, and a teller deposits that amount into checking/savings. I don't understand throwing away currency. It seems arrogant.

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2017, 01:14:01 AM »
If a place has a minimum purchase, I get pissy because it's technically against merchant agreement (or used to be?) and ignore it or take my business elsewhere. ...

Possibly of interest: under federal law, "[a] payment card network shall not ... inhibit the ability of any person to set a minimum dollar value for the acceptance by that person of credit cards", provided among other things that the minimum does not exceed $10, subject to certain exceptions and qualifications. 15 USC § 1693o-2(b)(3)(A).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2017, 01:57:59 AM »
If a place has a minimum purchase, I get pissy because it's technically against merchant agreement (or used to be?) and ignore it or take my business elsewhere. ...

Possibly of interest: under federal law, "[a] payment card network shall not ... inhibit the ability of any person to set a minimum dollar value for the acceptance by that person of credit cards", provided among other things that the minimum does not exceed $10, subject to certain exceptions and qualifications. 15 USC § 1693o-2(b)(3)(A).

Thanks, I thought I heard something about a law being passed.  I personally believe any minimum should be displayed alongside the Visa/MC logo, so I know not to enter the store and waste my time.

icbatbh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2017, 05:02:33 AM »
I've always kept a container in my wardrobe for loose change. Every night any change that I have gets put into the container. I don't use a lot of cash, and occasionally I dip into the pot, but over the last 5 years or so I've accumulated over £130.

I considered taking it all to Coinstar but the Mustachian in me made me get some of those coin bags the next time I passed the bank. I then spent a couple of hours one evening sorting the coins by value and putting them in the bags. The next day I took them to the bank and kept 100% of the money.

I even took the time to check each coin for mint errors, as these tend to be worth more to collectors. I didn't find any but I wouldn't have been able to sleep if I didn't check!

Roger D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2017, 05:36:42 AM »
I get rid of my small coins at the self-checkout, then pay the balance by card. Problem solved with a minimum of fuss.

If that was too much trouble, I could always give them to a busker.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2017, 04:01:10 PM »
As someone who spent many years working with people with disabilities this is not amusing. If he has an IQ in the 60's this type of thing makes perfect sense to him. It is awesome that he is holding a job. Your Aunt must have taught him to be independent and had him do chores at home, etc which is the key to success.

I think the term OP meant wasn't amusing, but rather 'endearing'.

We went on a trip the the USA with the kids.   I got out all the US coin we had stashed in the drawers for over 3 years, counted it, rolled it as best I could, and split it into two baggies, one for each of them.   I told them it was spending money (it was about $20 each, and I marked the bags with the amount).

They rolled their eyes.

When we get there, on the last day, one wants to buy a souvenir, the other some snacks at the airport.  I said, OK, get out your money and pay for it!.   Turns out one kid did not bring it, left it behind thinking it was not actually money or something, and the other was surprised to see it turned into a softdrink and chips for him. 

I mean, he carried through an airport, through a trip, and back to the airport in his backpack, and it was heavy.  He thought I was just being mean or something...  They were 12 and 14 years old.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:11:03 PM by Goldielocks »

BigFatherA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »
In Canada it is easier to collect and keep your change as we don't have a penny but have $! and $2 coins.  A roll of twonies is $50, and definitely worth keeping track of. 

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
In the downtown area of my city we have donation stations set up for loose change. The stations are old, decorated parking meters with signs on them that collected loose change will be used locally to help the homeless.
I was just reading that this is not a new concept; other cities do it as well:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/sharing/2010-09-30-parking-meter-donations_n.htm

So I hope people will read this an realize there are really good alternatives to tossing loose change you don't want.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:14:31 AM by frozen »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2017, 03:37:14 PM »
In the downtown area of my city we have donation stations set up for loose change. The stations are old, decorated parking meters with signs on them that collected loose change will be used locally to help the homeless.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/sharing/2010-09-30-parking-meter-donations_n.htm

So I hope people will read this an realize there are really good alternatives to tossing loose change you don't want.

In my area, parking meters don't take pennies

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »

To clarify, these are meters specifically repurposed to take all spare change (including pennies) and collect it for the homeless. My point, is that everyone's spare change adds up, and could be doing some good. No one should be tossing currency in the trash.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:06:05 PM by frozen »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2017, 11:16:41 PM »

To clarify, these are meters specifically repurposed to take all spare change (including pennies) and collect it for the homeless. My point, is that everyone's spare change adds up, and could be doing some good. No one should be tossing currency in the trash.

But if the meter fills up with pennies, it means no room is left for real money

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2017, 11:36:05 PM »

I think you just made a joke......

....?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2017, 01:19:32 AM »

....?

..?
I  never joke

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2017, 06:54:55 AM »
For a dude who never jokes, you're pretty damn funny.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2017, 07:24:09 AM »
I don't know if this is true for other places, but our local Coinstar machine dispenses various types of gift cards without charging a fee, so every once in a while I will convert my coin counter and get something like movie tickets for it. It's turned out to be a decent way to get a little entertainment without using any money from our bank account.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2017, 07:26:13 AM »

I mean, he carried through an airport, through a trip, and back to the airport in his backpack, and it was heavy.  He thought I was just being mean or something...  They were 12 and 14 years old.

Foreign currency is hard. It's always a bit "monopoly money" like, even for many adults.

I was a little sad this weekend when I watched a youtube video and the youtuber kept talking about how many pounds something cost her. Half the comments were "What the hell is a pound?" or "Is a pound slang for a dollar?"  I'm hoping these were young kids, but youtube requires you be 13 to have an account (not that anyone pays attention to that, so man, I'm hoping these are young kids.)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »

....?

..?
I  never joke

Cue picture of your Avatar....   (A visual joke in itself)