Author Topic: Let's watch Hamilton! For the fourth time!  (Read 50862 times)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Re: Let's watch Hamilton! For the fourth time!
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »
esp, the rewind, which I think is one of the most interesting bits of theater I'd ever seen.

I saw it in NYC with my DD about a year ago but am not sure what you're referring to here.  Can you explain more which part this is?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »
esp, the rewind, which I think is one of the most interesting bits of theater I'd ever seen.

I saw it in NYC with my DD about a year ago but am not sure what you're referring to here.  Can you explain more which part this is?

At the dance scene where Hamilton meets Eliza -- you first see it through Eliza's eyes, and she sings "Helpless", which ends at their wedding, and then it shifts to Angelica's perspective and a little bit into "Satisfied" they literally rewind the music and rotate the stage backwards and then you go back to the point of Hamilton's entry to the party and she retells the whole thing from her perspective, explaining why she introduced him to Eliza when she really loved him herself.

Lin Manuel Miranda is a truly gifted person....

Ah right, thank you.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2018, 09:08:59 PM »

At the dance scene where Hamilton meets Eliza -- you first see it through Eliza's eyes, and she sings "Helpless", which ends at their wedding, and then it shifts to Angelica's perspective and a little bit into "Satisfied" they literally rewind the music and rotate the stage backwards and then you go back to the point of Hamilton's entry to the party and she retells the whole thing from her perspective, explaining why she introduced him to Eliza when she really loved him herself.

lhamo, I saw that you had seen it on another thread, but I figured it was your story to tell. So glad you enjoyed it.

Here's another Hamilton story. DH and I are real estate junkies. We look at open houses constantly. We were at one right after we saw the show. A kid came in wearing a Hamilton t-shirt. Since I'd just been there, I knew the prices were astronomical. I said jokingly, "What? Your folks went to Hamilton and all you got was a t-shirt? Kid says, "This one comes with a good story". He explained that the woman who played Angelica in the SF show was a friend of his mom's. (She was awesome, and has a notable bleached out, half shaved head hairdo. Seriously awesome.) She was in the chorus in the original cast, but had higher aspirations. She left to do another show and then was cast in the lead in the SF show. According to the kid, the actress, Emmy Raver-Lampman, stayed with them when she came to SF. I have no idea if any of this is true, but the parents walked in as the kid was finishing the story and didn't contradict him. It's kind of an amazing Cinderella story. Except that she worked her ass off. Come to think of it, so did Cinderella. If you watch the original cast videos on You Tube, you can spot her in the chorus. I love how this show is launching so many talented people.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2018, 06:58:14 AM »
The "rewind" part blew my mind, too -- I know it's a device that's been used in many plays and musicals over the years, but this was just super emotionally impactful.

I was lucky enough to see the original Broadway cast and Renee Elise Goldsberry KILLED this song. I met her a few times in college which made me feel a little special :) I'm in awe of her talent and also the fact that she is in her late 40s and looks like this.

I was prepared for her brilliance, and LMM's, and Daveed Diggs, but the revelation for me was Chris Jackson as George Washington. He was just incredible, he's got that natural "leader among men" kind of energy and he blew the roof off the theater with it.

ETA @Dicey -- I saw Emmy in the OBC! She was great! The ensemble works so hard in this show -- I can't imagine how their knees survive one performance, let alone 8 per week.

Also, I'm pretty sure Daveed Diggs is going to be a giant movie star off the back of his work on Hamilton. He has the charisma of like 100 normal people.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:03:36 AM by madgeylou »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2018, 08:23:15 AM »
I'm really glad to read about the "rewind" part here. Based only on the music, I couldn't have imagined that, which is probably why I'd under-appreciated that song compared to what seems to be the main stream.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2018, 08:41:46 AM »
In January 2019 - Lin is doing Hamilton in Puerto Rico. Reprising his role.

I believe the interview he gave he said the tickets would be "obscenely expensive" (but with hundreds of $10 tickets for residents). Take a vacation, see a show, and help the PR economy!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »

That part of the show literally blew my mind. :D :D

Paid $350 to see in Chi-town. Worth every penny.

Entering lotteries here in the pacNW frantically trying to see it again for $10.

IllusionNW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »
We just saw Hamilton for the first time (after listening to the soundtrack a million times, along with the Mix Tape and watching the PBS documentary).  We're huge musical lovers and Hamilton is probably the best show I've ever seen.  To be clear, the choreography and staging are just ok.  But it's really a musical masterpiece and blew my mind.  Definitely worth purchasing the entire local Broadway season so that we could get priority tickets.  And I would probably go to see it as many times as I could.  But musical theater is our happy place, and the reason we are so careful with our money and are big savers is so that we can fully enjoy experiences like this.

(Also, fwiw, we took our 2 year old to see Daniel Tiger Live over the weekend and it was not worth the money.  Total sensory overload.  My daughter came out of it shell shocked.  Lesson learned and I won't be spending my money on that type of activity any time soon.)

Tobias

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2018, 01:38:24 AM »
I saw Hamilton in Seattle about two weeks ago, having never heard a single song or commercial for it. It was well worth the $200 I paid to get a single ticket. I feel very fortunate to have first experienced it live.

I've been entering the lottery for the $20 tickets to try and see it again and take my mom.

My semi-retired mother-in-law has been ushering for decades to see free plays, and can't get in to usher Hamilton because everyone wants to.

When I got my ticket, I saw people selling theirs for $500 on Ticketmaster itself. I hadn't realized Ticketmaster let you scalp your own tickets on their platform. Seems like they're sure making it easy for professional scalpers!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2018, 11:48:51 AM »
A while ago I reviewed Ticketmaster's data to consider buying the stock. It astounds me that they're not more profitable, seeing as how you basically buy an extra ticket for them for every purchase you make buying tix for yourself and your family.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2018, 06:09:35 AM »
Bumping the thread because Hamilton tix are finally on sale in Charlotte. Currently in a virtual waiting room, I am NOT throwing away my shot (to see it live).

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2018, 07:05:00 AM »
When did this thread go from facepunching someone for seeing the show 4 times to fawning all over the musical...? I mean, I like musicals as much as the next person (was in a lot of shows in high school), but I don't get spending $400 for one ticket to see a show.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »
My tickets were nowhere near $400/head. Including fees, etc., I am in for $730 for four.

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2018, 01:45:08 PM »
When did this thread go from facepunching someone for seeing the show 4 times to fawning all over the musical...? I mean, I like musicals as much as the next person (was in a lot of shows in high school), but I don't get spending $400 for one ticket to see a show.

When enough people who recognized that spending money on amazing experiences started posting, instead of just the curmudgeonly crew for which this just "isn't their thing." Surprise - spending money on things that truly enrich your life is part of what this whole shebang is all about. For some people, that's Hamilton. Other people may prefer a weekend trip to Mexico. Neither are wrong so long as it doesn't ultimately impact their FIRE aspirations.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »
the MMM value is that money should only be spent when it truly increases quality of life. Whether spending this money on seeing "Hamilton" life increases that depends on a range of other factors.

Indeed there are parts of my life that are facepunch-worthy, my car is too new, my skills are too few, the last time I went to FL you wouldn't believe what I blew (in $$$).

One of those factors includes whether I've seen it ever before, hence the mockery in the title of this thread. I cannot imagine a trajectory for my life in which I see the same musical live four times.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »
I love, and I mean LOVE the Hamilton soundtrack, but I can not justify the cost for tickets.  Maybe in 10 years it will be less in demand and more affordable, but $400 a ticket for nosebleed seats....no way in hell.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2018, 12:31:17 PM »
I see it as more incentive to FIRE. I'm there, we can afford it, it was AWESOME, and we're seeing it again in April. DH is not what I'd consider a theater buff and he's all-in for a second viewing. We may never get to 4, and we didn't spend $400 per ticket, but it was worth every moment.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2018, 08:46:21 AM »
Hmmm.... Hamilton or several days' rental of a condo at the beach... Hmmmm.... ;)

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »
I'll probably end up with some facepunches for this, but I have seen Hamilton...more than 4 times.

However, it's a misrepresentation that tickets are $400+. Resale tickets may go for that much, but face value is much lower. I've only ever paid face value, always less than $200, and this was for good seats. It was under $100 off-Broadway. If you bought the tickets when they went on sale, they were reasonable for theater. The prices for the Broadway production have gone up since it opened, though, so I don't go as much as I used to. I think you have to pay $200 to sit in the back now. The last time I went, my mom got the tickets because she caught the Hamilton bug late and wanted to go.

Some people may think theater isn't worth it, and that's fine. But seeing theater is my main hobby. I budget for it and it's what I spend the bulk of my non-essentials money on.

I will say that the current NYC production is not in great shape. The current Angelica and Eliza have both been there for 2+ years and their performances have gotten kind of stale. I bought tickets for this month a long time ago, and I ended up reselling the pair for a $300 profit. I'm not going back until the cast changes and/or I win the $10 ticket lottery.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2018, 11:12:20 AM »
Hmmm.... Hamilton or several days' rental of a condo at the beach... Hmmmm.... ;)
Meh, global warming concerns aside, the beach will always be there. Easy decision.

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »
Meh, global warming concerns aside, the beach will always be there. Easy decision.

I had to laugh at this because for me the decision is also very easy. I would take seeing Hamilton over the beach literally any day.

I saw it on Broadway one month after most of the original cast left. I bought tickets 9 MONTHS earlier (bought in October '15, saw it in August '16) and I was heart broken when I read that everyone was leaving around July. The show was still incredible. Javier Munoz played Hamilton, the same guy who performed when Obama saw it, and everyone else who replaced the original cast was amazing (with the exception of the guy who played Burr, who I found disappointingly uninspiring. I think I regret missing Leslie Odom, Jr more than I do LMM).

I am so sad by how little of the details I vividly remember. I am one of the people who listened to the soundtrack all the way through probably a hundred times and in hindsight I wonder if that was a mistake -- since I already knew the songs so well, seeing them performed live didn't "stick" in my memory as well. Maybe that's crappy pseudoscience, but that's my theory.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:02:05 PM by grandep »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2018, 10:18:43 AM »

I want to see Hamilton but I'll wait. Still too expensive for me and mine.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »

I am so sad by how little of the details I vividly remember. I am one of the people who listened to the soundtrack all the way through probably a hundred times and in hindsight I wonder if that was a mistake -- since I already knew the songs so well, seeing them performed live didn't "stick" in my memory as well. Maybe that's crappy pseudoscience, but that's my theory.

I find musicals where I don't know the lyrics to be very hard to watch. Both Kinky Boots and Matilda I couldn't understand half of what they said.  And Something Rotten I saw before the cast recording was released and remember thinking it was incredible that I literally had no idea what would happen next (rare for a musical to not have familiar source material)- but missed a lot to laughter, and felt I caught a lot more the 2nd time when I then knew the material.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »
I am very focused in my preparation to see "The Lion King" right now, listening the sound track in my car constantly and making my family members do the same.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2018, 11:37:06 AM »
I am conflicted on this one. Background, wife and I enjoy musicals and theater, we average 2 events a year. I bought tickets (direct, not 3rd party) for her birthday. It was a remarkable show! Easily the best musical I have seen in at least a decade. At some point in the distant future I could imagine going again. For people who aren't into musicals it would be a waste of time, but that is one of the things we truly enjoy.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »
I am conflicted on this one. Background, wife and I enjoy musicals and theater, we average 2 events a year. I bought tickets (direct, not 3rd party) for her birthday. It was a remarkable show! Easily the best musical I have seen in at least a decade. At some point in the distant future I could imagine going again. For people who aren't into musicals it would be a waste of time, but that is one of the things we truly enjoy.
Unless you're awash in debt, I see no conflict.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2018, 01:39:49 PM »
I’ve seen Hamilton 3 times now. I only paid for the first ticket. I won The Hamilton ticket lottery the other two times and paid $10 for those tickets.
If you don’t know about the lottery, you can download the Hamilton app and enter daily. You only pay $10/ticket if you win.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2018, 02:53:39 PM »
I just got tickets for the touring version for this fall in Durham ($170 each including ticketbastard fees).  I've heard the recordings (LMM put them up on youtube free, but I see they're elsewhere as well) and enjoyed that.  My dilemma is that my DH isn't particularly interested, so I wonder if I should drag him, take someone who's "dying" to go (currently 2 have offered to go with me), or sell them.  We're FI, so it's more of a value thing.

I don't do much live theater, but I enjoy it when I do.  Just conflicted.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2018, 11:35:13 PM »
I just got tickets for the touring version for this fall in Durham ($170 each including ticketbastard fees).  I've heard the recordings (LMM put them up on youtube free, but I see they're elsewhere as well) and enjoyed that.  My dilemma is that my DH isn't particularly interested, so I wonder if I should drag him, take someone who's "dying" to go (currently 2 have offered to go with me), or sell them.  We're FI, so it's more of a value thing.

I don't do much live theater, but I enjoy it when I do.  Just conflicted.
DH went only because I wanted to. He loved it. We're both looking forward to seeing it again in April.

I’ve seen Hamilton 3 times now. I only paid for the first ticket. I won The Hamilton ticket lottery the other two times and paid $10 for those tickets.
If you don’t know about the lottery, you can download the Hamilton app and enter daily. You only pay $10/ticket if you win.
The lottery is awesome! The seats are usually in the first two rows, which are somewhat obstructed, due to the height of the stage. Ahem, @frozen, you paid for all of them, you just got a bargain price. Where were your seats for #2 and #3? Were all three viewings in the same city?

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2018, 04:56:09 AM »
I went to see Hamilton in mid-August in Chicago, paying about 400 or so for three tickets. Satisfied finally stopped playing on permanent loop in my skull about two weeks ago. Now it's back. I hope you're all proud of yourselves.

Seriously, though, it was absolutely worth the money. The wordplay, the offbeat rhymes, the musical references back and forth (Jefferson singing jazz, Hamilton's son learning to count in French to the tune of the ten duel commandments)...all of them are superb on record, but something else entirely live. The only live performance of any kind I'd rank alongside would be either Rammstein (who stride around with thirty-foot wings made of literal flames) or At The Drive-In (who I'd seriously consider donating a kidney to if one of them needed it).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:32:37 AM by runbikerun »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2018, 06:54:51 AM »
Here in Charlotte, they've begun mailing out the tickets to people who will see it in the second half of October (I am in this group). My in-laws have gone through a transformation, seemed like only weeks ago that my MIL was parroting the FoxNews line that it was part of the left-wing conspiracy to destroy America, but now she's excited to get to see it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2018, 07:39:28 AM »
We have tickets to see it again in April. DH just came from work saying his work has offered Orchestra seats for $285/ea for the same run, which is what we paid. Should we see it a third time? We don't think we need to, but I hope we don't come to regret that decision. It really is something amazing.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2018, 07:29:00 AM »
I have an update here: I was able to see it last night in Charlotte, with my wife and with her parents.

I would have sat through it again immediately when it ended (for free). I think some other people on this thread have said it was incredible live. It was.

I know we MMM's are about finding ways to live with less consumption and less spending. I found this experience genuinely satisfying in a way few other things in life have been for me. The idea that I am able to work and contribute to a market economy and get paid enough money over the course of a couple of days to enable seeing this seems...extraordinary. Cut your spending in other areas before you cut it here.

skp

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2018, 09:09:01 AM »
My husband and I saw Hamilton as part of a Broadway Series.   The package was 5 shows, including parking passes for $600.  Seats weren't primo,but decent,  center back first floor.  I enjoyed the entire season.  And I would have never done it except that I really wanted to see Hamilton.
I like Broadway but wouldn't call myself an aficionado.  I just really wanted to see Hamilton, and this was a bargain way to do it.  If we went to NY to see it, it would have cost well over $600 for the two of us between, tickets, hotel, travel.
I am glad I saw it.  It's one of a kind.  I've never seen anything like it before.  That being said, once was enough for me.  This is the first play I've ever seen that I felt I had to do "homework" to enjoy.  To get everything you can out of it, you need to read up on the history of Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr, and listen to the soundtrack because some of the lyrics are hard to get and I felt I had to concentrate to understand some of the words.  Funny that even though I was there I didn't get the Eliza, Angelica, Hamilton before and after thing of their meeting.  I guess I had to read up on the play too, to understand that.  I also was a little irritated at the in your face politics- " immigrants get it done" speaks for itself.  I found the over the top cheering by the audience- annoying. IMO let the play speaks for itself- It is suppose to be entertainment- Some people (me) don't want to pay good money to have politics shoved down their throat.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:11:23 AM by skp »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2018, 09:30:54 AM »
I would be curious how "in your face" you thought the politics of Rent were during the height of the AIDS crisis?

I will not deny the "Immigrants: we get the job done" line. But there are also a lot of anti-immigrant slurs (generally directed at Hamilton, who was naturalized in 1776), particularly in the "Washington on your side" song and later.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2018, 09:35:20 AM »
I also was a little irritated at the in your face politics- " immigrants get it done" speaks for itself.  I found the over the top cheering by the audience- annoying. IMO let the play speaks for itself- It is suppose to be entertainment- Some people (me) don't want to pay good money to have politics shoved down their throat.
Art is often political, especially in the realm of comedy. I assume you know this, but in case you don't, I thought I'd clue you in. If you don't want to be exposed to other people's political views, you're going to need to be really judicious about what art you consume.

Also . . . this was art . . . about a political figure. Honestly, what did you expect?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:18:34 AM by obstinate »

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2018, 09:47:48 AM »
I would also like to point out the show originally premiered in 2015. I saw it off-Broadway, and it did not feel so political at the time. "Immigrants - we get the job done" was just an amusing throwaway line.

I saw it again after the 2016 election, and both the delivery of and response to some of the lines like that were charged in a way they were not when it was first written.

Art is often going to be political, and it will evolve to mirror the current political climate. In my opinion, that's part of what makes it so powerful.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:09:12 AM by zygote »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2018, 09:49:54 AM »
and listen to the soundtrack because some of the lyrics are hard to get and I felt I had to concentrate to understand some of the words.

I'm interested to know what other shows were in your Broadway series. I find this true of nearly EVERY musical.

My husband said he left RENT having no idea what just happened, because he couldn't understand 80% of the lyrics. (He's since seen it 4 times and knows most of it by heart.) I felt the same at Kinky Boots.   
Shows with kids are the worst- even knowing the lyrics I still can rarely understand the lyrics to Matilda!

And I agree art is often very political.
Book of Mormon? "in 1978 God changed his mind about black people" anyone? Or is it okay to make fun of fringe religions but not mainstream views like anti-immigration?

skp

• Stubble
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2018, 10:20:31 AM »
Rent was in the series. I don't remember having trouble understanding the lyrics. This was my first time seeing it. The politics didn't bother me probably because they aren't raw. I did want to scream out when they sang How are we going to pay the rent with "how about getting a job" but managed to keep my politics to myself. I knew full well the political undertones of Hamilton
 It was the audience's reaction/ over the top cheering that irritated me.  I do think immigrants get it done. I just am not for illegal, Sanctuary city, open border extreme immigration. Other plays were Waitress, Aladdin, the humans, phantom love never dies. I didn't have any trouble with any of their lyrics.  ETA- the Humans was AWEFUL! I forgot there was a 6th- the play about Gloria Estefan.  So it was 6 plays for $600.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:55:18 AM by skp »

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2018, 10:21:10 AM »
And I agree art is often very political.
Book of Mormon? "in 1978 God changed his mind about black people" anyone? Or is it okay to make fun of fringe religions but not mainstream views like anti-immigration?
?Por que no los dos? And everything else that's absurd too. No sacred cows.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »
You might recall the every-four-year outrage associated with portray Julius Caesar as the President of the moment, only to have him surrounded and killed by Senators. In some cases, making the political statement connects us more strongly (even if seeing a President we like get assassinated triggers us)

I honestly thought my in-laws--who skew conservative and tend to be overly reliant on FoxNews for keeping informed--weren't going to want to see "Hamilton" after the news made a big deal about the original cast calling out Vice President Pence at one of their performances. They came with us last night and enjoyed it quite a bit anyway.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2018, 12:37:21 AM »
I'm stumped as to how you tell the story of a dirt-poor immigrant becoming a major figure in a war for independence and continuing his career by shaping a nascent government before dying in a duel as a result of his involvement in politics without it being political. A story sympathetic to Hamilton is by necessity going to be sympathetic to immigrants. Soft-pedalling that would be, not to put to fine a point on it, weapons-grade horseshit.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2018, 04:46:02 PM »
I'm stumped as to how you tell the story of a dirt-poor immigrant becoming a major figure in a war for independence and continuing his career by shaping a nascent government before dying in a duel as a result of his involvement in politics without it being political. A story sympathetic to Hamilton is by necessity going to be sympathetic to immigrants. Soft-pedalling that would be, not to put to fine a point on it, weapons-grade horseshit.
Amen!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2018, 01:09:54 PM »
I do think immigrants get it done. I just am not for illegal, Sanctuary city, open border extreme immigration.

And yet you consider the line "immigrants- we get the job done," to be, using your words, "politics shoved down their throat." Wow, you statement says way more about you than anything else.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »
I do think immigrants get it done. I just am not for illegal, Sanctuary city, open border extreme immigration.

And yet you consider the line "immigrants- we get the job done," to be, using your words, "politics shoved down their throat." Wow, you statement says way more about you than anything else.

I was side-eyeing skp's comment from the moment they misquoted the line.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2018, 07:03:42 AM »
Here's a fun Hamilton quiz. The linked articles from the Windy City are also interesting.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/hamilton/ct-hamilton-fact-or-fiction-quiz-20161006-htmlstory.html

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2018, 05:34:23 PM »
One of the best musicals ever!

Not saying much, pretty low bar.. 
I listened to one song on youtube now. I'd pay $400 to not have to listen to that for 2 hrs!

Ha ha ha. I like live theater but I despise musicals. I like dramas. From what little I know about Hamilton, assuming it has hummable tunes I might like it. But I’m not going to risk it because when I am bored by a musical I am truly disgusted by it.

Tangential to this, I was thrilled to read my favorite film reviewer gave a poor review to this most recent film version of “a star is born.” This was just after all of my neighbors decended on me at a dinner party to insist that I must go see it. UGG no just no,  dont  make me listen to all that singing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:23:36 AM by iris lily »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2018, 08:38:56 PM »
If anyone would like to hear the whole thing, Lin-Manuel Miranda put the soundtrack on youtube.  A few ads, but I was happy to get a preview before the show, myself. 

I saw the show last Thursday in Durham, very well staged, and very interesting.  It certainly didn't whitewash the complicated nature of the founding fathers.  I often have a problem keeping track of characters, but with the way this was done, I really didn't.  DH didn't care for the first half (not a fan of hip hop), but "got sucked in" by the second half and ended up liking it.  I'm not a fan of hip hop either, but oddly enough, I really enjoyed most of the songs.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2018, 08:06:40 PM »
A little post-Christmas treat for my Hamilton-loving friends. Enjoy!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/26/theater/hamilton-puerto-rico-lin-manuel-miranda.html

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: December 27, 2018, 12:06:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7sm49fHlyI

People who are familiar with "Hamilton" as well as the "Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer" story from the 1960's will really like this.