Author Topic: iPhone X reviewer "I hate how much I love [it]"  (Read 11200 times)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
iPhone X reviewer "I hate how much I love [it]"
« on: November 03, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »
Wow, the gushing over a phone almost made me gag:
The reason you buy the iPhone X is because of that too luxurious design, and that audaciously hedonistic display, and that super cool depth-sensing selfie camera. This phone isn’t remaking the way we think about phones in as grand a manner as the original iPhone, or even the iPhone 4.
The whole thing is full of the type of gibberish you more often hear in a modern art museum.  Ugh.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: iPhone X reviewer "I hate how much I love [it]"
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 01:42:26 PM »
We need a new subforum called "Antimustachian Legion of Evil" for articles like this.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 01:55:04 PM »
Definitely!

I see smart phones as tools more than fashion accessories. No way would I be able to get my money out of one of these - ever.

More power to those who can. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »
That's about the same price as one of our cars....

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
This phone hysteria is worthy of a Sméagol meme. "We wants it... our Precious."

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »
This seems "shooting fish in a barrel" easy to mock, though. Anyone find any tech news sites where their iPhoneX review actually recommends against upgrading? That would be impressive.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 03:55:11 PM »
This phone hysteria is worthy of a Sméagol meme. "We wants it... our Precious."

Just wait until someone drops it, loses it, or just let's someone borrow it while they stand there nervously waiting to get it back in their hands. If not for its apparently addictive qualities, then the fact that it represents $1,000 of your net worth and can be gone in an instant.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
This seems "shooting fish in a barrel" easy to mock, though. Anyone find any tech news sites where their iPhoneX review actually recommends against upgrading? That would be impressive.

You could title the article "How to alienate half of your readership in three words."

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 03:56:56 PM »
I got booted from a group chat because when I responded my "bubble" was the wrong color... Android vs. Iphone has different colors, I guess.  This iphone thing is getting ridiculous.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 05:41:21 PM »
Legit phrase from the review: "if not for the famed notch, it would merely be as impressive as a Samsung Galaxy S8 or Note 8"

...so it's the same?

EDIT: Also, the 5.8in screen is larger than the 5.5" screen of the iPhone 8. Alert the press.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 06:02:10 PM »
This thing costs $1K?  Holy crap my cousin in law just posted a photo of him and his wife with them. Do apple employees get a good discount?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
This thing costs $1K?  Holy crap my cousin in law just posted a photo of him and his wife with them. Do apple employees get a good discount?
I think it's like 15%.

enb123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 07:03:59 PM »
This has been going on forever. I once heard a piece on NPR when Apple overhauled it’s operating system and changed the icons and maybe some fonts. The announcer went on for 5 minutes about how they had reinvented our entire relationship with the universe or something. I felt embarrassed that an adult could say those things in public, but what can you do?

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 07:44:53 PM »
There's a reason Apple is approaching a $1 TRILLION market cap.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 10:12:01 PM »
This has been going on forever. I once heard a piece on NPR when Apple overhauled it’s operating system and changed the icons and maybe some fonts. The announcer went on for 5 minutes about how they had reinvented our entire relationship with the universe or something. I felt embarrassed that an adult could say those things in public, but what can you do?
Maybe they *have* to say those things, otherwise Apple won't send them an iPhone for review next year?

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 10:22:25 PM »

As VSMPX and VTSAX both contain Apple, reviews like the one mentioned make me a giddy as a schoolgirl.

I'll never buy one, but my bottom line appreciates the fact that others do--in droves.

A few sites pan the X and recommend the 6+, suggesting that it is more than enough phone for your needs. Works for me.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:24:28 PM by facepalm »

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 10:55:14 PM »
Few people will actually spend $1,000 cash on this. They will either finance it or pay for it through installments added to their cell phone bill.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 10:58:16 PM »
If you spend $1000 on a phone, you probably work pretty hard to convince yourself that it was "worth it."  If you decide it wasn't worth it, you're admitting to being a moron, and who'd want to admit to that?

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 12:12:41 AM »
Apple will sell 200-300 million iPhones in the next year and the average selling price is around $700/phone.  It's why AAPL stock has done so well (for me) and others.  As a shareholder, I'm glad that people seem to like it and are willing to spend the money.

BTW, I'm still using a 4 year old iPhone 5s, which works great.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 11:46:16 AM »
Few people will actually spend $1,000 cash on this. They will either finance it or pay for it through installments added to their cell phone bill.

True - one of my coworkers ordered it, but he said, "I traded in my old one, and it will only increase my bill by $25/month" - so to him it's just a little lifestyle creep. He also leases a new car every 3 years, I guess he likes the predictability of a monthly installment.

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 02:22:02 PM »
I actually bought two—one for me and one to flip on eBay or craigslist to offset the cost.

It’s only this forum that made me think twice about it but it’s hardly a blip on my net worth radar. At some point I’ve decided I just want to be ok with one or two “things” that I indulge myself with. This is one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »
I actually bought two—one for me and one to flip on eBay or craigslist to offset the cost.

It’s only this forum that made me think twice about it but it’s hardly a blip on my net worth radar. At some point I’ve decided I just want to be ok with one or two “things” that I indulge myself with. This is one.

Interesting. How much can you flip the eBay one for?

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 03:48:49 PM »

I’ll let you know the final price if/when it sells, but it seems the going rate is around $1650 for the largest storage version. That’s a $400 premium from after-tax list price.

That still makes it a $600 phone after the offset so it’s by no means the cheapest smartphone available.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »

I’ll let you know the final price if/when it sells, but it seems the going rate is around $1650 for the largest storage version. That’s a $400 premium from after-tax list price.

That still makes it a $600 phone after the offset so it’s by no means the cheapest smartphone available.

Cool good deal if it works out.  Though I guess you could just make $800 if you sold both!

damyst

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 09:56:10 PM »

Explain this to me. Why would someone buy a second hand device from you at a higher price than they'd pay if they bought directly from Apple?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 06:38:02 AM »
Explain this to me. Why would someone buy a second hand device from you at a higher price than they'd pay if they bought directly from Apple?
Supply is tight, and some people are willing to fork out an extra $800 to get the phone a few months earlier.  People like IndyPendent buy the phones new and sell them in the same condition, shrink wrap and everything, for a profit.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 09:21:21 AM »

There are people who, due to work incentives and other programs, have access to Apple's "employee discount". If a person buys at a ten to fifteen percent discount and then sells at retail price or just under it, that's a generous margin especially on something as expensive as a smartphone.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
Supply is tight, and some people are willing to fork out an extra $800 to get the phone a few months earlier.  People like IndyPendent buy the phones new and sell them in the same condition, shrink wrap and everything, for a profit.
Yup, flipping brand new things can be profitable.  I've played a bit in the past with freshly-released game consoles.  I also stocked up on hard drives during the 2012 Thailand flooding, and sold a few on eBay for a premium.  It's just applied capitalism.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 09:45:08 AM »

It's sad how much the innovation curve has leveled off.  People are buying these phone literally for an animated poop emoji.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 09:48:01 AM »

As VSMPX and VTSAX both contain Apple, reviews like the one mentioned make me a giddy as a schoolgirl.

I'll never buy one, but my bottom line appreciates the fact that others do--in droves.

A few sites pan the X and recommend the 6+, suggesting that it is more than enough phone for your needs. Works for me.

Totally.  The money AAPL alone hass made for my VTSAX is probably enough to buy one of these stupid things.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 10:14:15 AM »

It's sad how much the innovation curve has leveled off.  People are buying these phone literally for an animated poop emoji.
Yeah... smartphones are quickly reaching the critical mass point desktop PCs got to around 2011 where nearly any decent five year old one will do 90% of what 90% of people want to do.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »

Yeah... smartphones are quickly reaching the critical mass point desktop PCs got to around 2011 where nearly any decent five year old one will do 90% of what 90% of people want to do.

Agreed. A lot of the innovations occur in the camera and in the security features. Frankly, I could give a shit about the camera. My old phone takes beautiful, high-quality pictures. And most of the new security features will be hacked in a matter of weeks and will be reduced to gimmicks. Facial recognition is cool and very successful so far (a few days in), but it will be hacked and then it will be merely cool.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »
Actually, if you can buy two of an item for $2,500 and sell them for $3,300 and choose to keep one instead, then technically you're paying $1,650 for that single item, not $600. You're paying $1,250k for the direct cost and another $400 for the lost opportunity cost.

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 07:52:12 AM »
Actually, if you can buy two of an item for $2,500 and sell them for $3,300 and choose to keep one instead, then technically you're paying $1,650 for that single item, not $600. You're paying $1,250k for the direct cost and another $400 for the lost opportunity cost.

You are correct. Though technically doesn’t every opportunity cost approach infinity when you play it out that way? I should have bought every iPhone X available. :D

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 05:30:29 AM »
Update as promised: I didn’t get nearly the price I was hoping for, it sold for just a tick over $1300.  Interesting that so many Xs are listed it’s driving the price down. Oh well! It was a fun experiment.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 05:53:30 AM »
A bit of clarification. The iPhone X is not a 1K phone for many of the people who will buy it. A lot of people will spend money on Apple Care+, their provider’s cellphone insurance, a case (because who wants to see the phone they just spent 1400K on?), and an inflated cellphone plan (few people are getting a talk&text plan with an iPhone X).

The data plan in particular is where, depending on the region, can make the cost equation of an iPhone even more ludicrous.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 06:40:44 AM »
Update as promised: I didn’t get nearly the price I was hoping for, it sold for just a tick over $1300.  Interesting that so many Xs are listed it’s driving the price down. Oh well! It was a fun experiment.
From what I've heard, most of the people lined up outside Apple stores are only buying the phone to sell it at a profit, or are being paid to stand in line by the eventual owner.

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
Wow, the gushing over a phone almost made me gag:
The reason you buy the iPhone X is because of that too luxurious design, and that audaciously hedonistic display, and that super cool depth-sensing selfie camera. This phone isn’t remaking the way we think about phones in as grand a manner as the original iPhone, or even the iPhone 4.

stupid and their money easily parted

ExitViaTheCashRamp

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2017, 04:50:34 PM »
Before rushing out and buying one, maybe best wait until spring time:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/iphone-xs-screen-doesnt-like-sudden-cold-but-apples-working-to-fix-the-bug/

and whatever you do, don't drop it from 6ft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_OT1FQSWuU

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 05:58:57 PM »
Before rushing out and buying one, maybe best wait until spring time
I like new tech, but I generally avoid buying it for two reasons: 1) it's expensive, and I'm cheap (the most I've ever paid for a phone was $100), and 2) it almost always has a few teething issues on release.  I understand they do a ton of testing on these phones before release, but there's no way they can cover every use case.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2018, 07:14:07 AM »
Here's an encounter I witnessed last week:  Guy was enthusiastically showing off his iPhone X.  When asked "How much did you pay for it?"  the reply was, "Oh, I didn't buy it outright.  I'm paying like $25 a month for it because why not?" 

I was pretty shocked that a $1000 purchase was made "because why not".  Oh, and he's also either exaggerating or mistaken that he's only paying $25.  I quickly divided $1000 by 24 in my head and knew that was wrong, so I checked some of the major cell phone providers.  He's paying $30/mo after a $280 down payment, or $30/mo with a 2 year service contract.

All my friends & family have iPhones and don't understand why I don't.  I have to come here for validation. :D

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2018, 09:22:06 PM »

C'mon . . . a poop that smiles at you. What's not to love?

I ditched my apple 6S Plus for an Android. Phones have become nothing more than another way to sell you stuff or waste your time. They are the new TV.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 09:26:34 AM »
Here's an encounter I witnessed last week:  Guy was enthusiastically showing off his iPhone X.  When asked "How much did you pay for it?"  the reply was, "Oh, I didn't buy it outright.  I'm paying like $25 a month for it because why not?" 

I was pretty shocked that a $1000 purchase was made "because why not".  Oh, and he's also either exaggerating or mistaken that he's only paying $25.  I quickly divided $1000 by 24 in my head and knew that was wrong, so I checked some of the major cell phone providers.  He's paying $30/mo after a $280 down payment, or $30/mo with a 2 year service contract.

All my friends & family have iPhones and don't understand why I don't.  I have to come here for validation. :D
I've finally seen my first iPhone X in the wild.  I was talking to a (sensible, reasonably Mustachian) coworker that brought up the topic and I said in a nice shitty I-bite-my-thumb-at-that tone "oh, you mean the phone that costs as much as a car?"  A different coworker then showed us theirs.  Oops.

ePalmtrees

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2018, 02:17:54 PM »
Everyone's shocked by how expensive it is but I'm pretty sure my iphone 7 plus ended up being like $850 before taxes. I mean, people should have been equally shocked before.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!