Author Topic: Inheritance Drama: You Got Any? Stories Wanted.  (Read 1429479 times)

radram

• Pencil Stache
Re: Inheritance Drama: You Got Any? Stories Wanted.
« Reply #1450 on: November 08, 2018, 07:12:01 AM »
This one is so anti-dramatic it’s kind of funny.

Grandpa passed away recently without a will or named beneficiaries. Grandma died several years ago. Both sons (my dad and uncle) passed away a few years ago. So that leaves the grandkids to claim the inheritance. The problem is that all the grandkids are financially quite stable and no one wants to submit the loads of paperwork required to claim approx. $8000. In fact, by the time expenses are deducted there may not be that much money left. An email just went around to the grandkids, and each and every grand kid wasn’t like, “No thanks, but if you want to do the work, you deserve the money. I’m giving up my claim to the money.”

So the government is probably going to end up getting an $8000 donation to their coffers.
Totally worth it, IMO. Yay for family harmony.

Great story, but please reconsider. Instead, choose a non-profit your grandpa would have respected and transfer it to them.

Think of it this way. How many hours did your grandpa work to get that money? Isn't it worth a few more hours to turn that hard work into something your grandfather would have found to be worth his time?

Buy some playground equipment and install it in a nearby park. Every time you walk by, you will have great memories of your grandfather. Just 1 idea.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1451 on: November 08, 2018, 10:26:00 AM »
Ooh, I have one.  I was contacted by an acquaintance that heard I was good at finding people (through Ancestry website, and on line searches).

It appears that the government contacted her when her cousin died without a will.  They assigned a government person to clear the estate / debts, final tax return and pay funeral expenses. They want her to locate the heirs / relatives to help with dispersal of the estate.

The problem is that there is one younger brother, who moved to the US from Canada around the age of 22 when their dad died in 1977.   The mom also passed in 2003.  The brother had not been heard from by any other family since he moved to the USA.

Given a not-too common name for someone we estimated as age 65, I think I found him.   AND, I found evidence that the mom was one of 21 brothers and sisters.  OMG.  There are likely over 50 first cousins out there... just on the maternal side, plus more on the paternal side (I could only find evidence of the father, who I think was born in another country, but nothing on the father's family).   

The estate has about $30k in it, she thinks, maybe more.

My friend is trying to get ahold of the person I found, although any listed numbers are now old and out of service.  She has no intention of doing anything more than trying to find the brother to let him know his sister died and how to claim any funds.  I suggested the next step was to send a letter to each of the last 3 known addresses, and be done with it.  (It may not be him after all).

If she can't find the brother, she will just let the remaining $30k+ go to the government.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1452 on: November 08, 2018, 02:08:27 PM »
My grandfather's brother moved to California and worked for Ames Aeronautical Laboratory in the early 50's. He died relatively young (age 51) (long story), but my Mom did know he had a wife and at least one child. Anyways my alcoholic uncle who has the same first and last name Grandfather, happen to mention to my mom (his sister) about a decade ago, that he got a call from someone in California who was a relative and was trying to track down his (great uncle's) relatives. My mother was excited to hear from that side of the family and asked the outcome, and uncle said, I just hung up, I assumed it was a scam. I guess we will never know what that was about. It would be nice to fantasize it was about some long lost inheritance.   Ooh I figured out the timing. found obituary of my great uncle's wife, who died in 2010. The phone call was probably when she died, and perhaps her daughters were trying to get ahold of my grandfather...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:22:31 PM by partgypsy »

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1453 on: November 08, 2018, 02:55:22 PM »
Ooh, I have one.  I was contacted by an acquaintance that heard I was good at finding people (through Ancestry website, and on line searches).

It appears that the government contacted her when her cousin died without a will.  They assigned a government person to clear the estate / debts, final tax return and pay funeral expenses. They want her to locate the heirs / relatives to help with dispersal of the estate.

The problem is that there is one younger brother, who moved to the US from Canada around the age of 22 when their dad died in 1977.   The mom also passed in 2003.  The brother had not been heard from by any other family since he moved to the USA.

Given a not-too common name for someone we estimated as age 65, I think I found him.   AND, I found evidence that the mom was one of 21 brothers and sisters.  OMG.  There are likely over 50 first cousins out there... just on the maternal side, plus more on the paternal side (I could only find evidence of the father, who I think was born in another country, but nothing on the father's family).   

The estate has about $30k in it, she thinks, maybe more.

My friend is trying to get ahold of the person I found, although any listed numbers are now old and out of service.  She has no intention of doing anything more than trying to find the brother to let him know his sister died and how to claim any funds.  I suggested the next step was to send a letter to each of the last 3 known addresses, and be done with it.  (It may not be him after all).

If she can't find the brother, she will just let the remaining $30k+ go to the government.

Can she do that?  If the brother cannot be found, why is she entitled to decline the money on behalf other heirs?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1454 on: November 08, 2018, 03:23:54 PM »
That's how the inheritance rules work when there is no will-- they go to progeny, then to parents, then to siblings.

Cousins don't need to be tracked down,  although if they come forward they could legitimately inherit...in the absence of any others with a larger claim...  oh, and she is not the executrix, rather a cousin that was asked by the government-appointed executor to help track down relatives..

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1455 on: November 09, 2018, 01:50:57 AM »
This one is so anti-dramatic it’s kind of funny.

Grandpa passed away recently without a will or named beneficiaries. Grandma died several years ago. Both sons (my dad and uncle) passed away a few years ago. So that leaves the grandkids to claim the inheritance. The problem is that all the grandkids are financially quite stable and no one wants to submit the loads of paperwork required to claim approx. $8000. In fact, by the time expenses are deducted there may not be that much money left. An email just went around to the grandkids, and each and every grand kid wasn’t like, “No thanks, but if you want to do the work, you deserve the money. I’m giving up my claim to the money.”

So the government is probably going to end up getting an $8000 donation to their coffers.
Totally worth it, IMO. Yay for family harmony.

Great story, but please reconsider. Instead, choose a non-profit your grandpa would have respected and transfer it to them.

Think of it this way. How many hours did your grandpa work to get that money? Isn't it worth a few more hours to turn that hard work into something your grandfather would have found to be worth his time?

Buy some playground equipment and install it in a nearby park. Every time you walk by, you will have great memories of your grandfather. Just 1 idea.

Several thousand in other bank accounts that were accessible have already been donated. These were two remaining accounts. To do the work to access the money would likely cost over $10K -- this money is located in two small accounts on the other side of the world, and the paperwork would span four countries and involve lawyers and consulates and 15-hour flights. It's a lot more than a "few more hours" of work.

Not Sure

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1456 on: December 09, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
I thought it appropriate to add some levity to this thread.

Mom inherited a sugar cookie recipe with instructions that it was to STAY IN THE FAMILY.  This became problematic when a dear friend and fellow cook, Julia, requested the recipe.  Mom told the story and refused to share the recipe.

Turnabout is fair play and Julia had a recipe for mustard that was the envy of everyone.  Julia succumbed to cancer and never did get around to sharing that mustard recipe with Mom.

I suspect that some feelings were genuinely hurt by this which is too bad because it is otherwise a great story!

PS.  Julia was a professional cook and may not have been at liberty to share the mustard recipe anyway.  RIP, Julia!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1457 on: December 09, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »

Mom inherited a sugar cookie recipe with instructions that it was to STAY IN THE FAMILY.  This became problematic when a dear friend and fellow cook, Julia, requested the recipe.  Mom told the story and refused to share the recipe.

Turnabout is fair play and Julia had a recipe for mustard that was the envy of everyone.  Julia succumbed to cancer and never did get around to sharing that mustard recipe with Mom.

I suspect that some feelings were genuinely hurt by this which is too bad because it is otherwise a great story!

PS.  Julia was a professional cook and may not have been at liberty to share the mustard recipe anyway.  RIP, Julia!

My sister was really upset when I shared a few family recipes outside the family.  My Mom had never said anything about them being "family-only".  So family-only recipes appear to be a "thing".

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1458 on: December 09, 2018, 10:02:29 AM »

My sister was really upset when I shared a few family recipes outside the family.  My Mom had never said anything about them being "family-only".  So family-only recipes appear to be a "thing".
Definitely a "thing".  It took me two decades to get a recipe out of one of my aunts - I still have her hand-written copy.  I later found that the recipe was almost identical to one in a recipe book from 200 years earlier that was rediscovered long after I remember my aunt using the recipe.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1459 on: December 09, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »
Funny how protective people can be about recipes. It seems totally selfish to me. Only "I" can make this perfect [fill in the blank]. In Not Sure's example, both women ended up hurting each other, which I suspect would have mortified both of them. If only they had looked at it from a different perspective. I suspect neither of them thought they were being petty or jealous, but that's all recipe guarding is. What does it cost/hurt anyone to share? Sad.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1460 on: December 09, 2018, 12:32:11 PM »
If you had a prize-winning recipe in the family in that environment, I could maybe see why you would want to hang on to it.

I can't.  This seems like a net loss for society, like refusing to share your discovery of penicillin or the polio vaccine.  If you have something amazing and it costs you nothing to make the world a better place, why would you bury it?

These days, the internet has successfully killed this sort of behaviour, and good riddance.  The secret recipe for coke and KFC's 11 herbs and spices can be found online.  America's test kitchen publishes the results of twenty different empanada recipes and documents why the differences change the food.  Investors research your company's supply chain.  It's much harder to keep secrets these days.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1461 on: December 09, 2018, 01:24:09 PM »
If you had a prize-winning recipe in the family in that environment, I could maybe see why you would want to hang on to it.

I can't.  This seems like a net loss for society, like refusing to share your discovery of penicillin or the polio vaccine.  If you have something amazing and it costs you nothing to make the world a better place, why would you bury it?

These days, the internet has successfully killed this sort of behaviour, and good riddance.  The secret recipe for coke and KFC's 11 herbs and spices can be found online.  America's test kitchen publishes the results of twenty different empanada recipes and documents why the differences change the food.  Investors research your company's supply chain.  It's much harder to keep secrets these days.

Totally. People ask me for recipes all the time. Especially my pumpkin pie and peanut butter cookie recipes. I'm like, "Take it! Go make ALL the delicious food!" Spread the gospel!"

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1462 on: December 09, 2018, 03:15:52 PM »

Totally. People ask me for recipes all the time. Especially my pumpkin pie and peanut butter cookie recipes. I'm like, "Take it! Go make ALL the delicious food!" Spread the gospel!"

And if your whole circle has the recipe, then anyone can make it and bring it to a gathering - you are not suddenly making a triple batch because you are the only one who can make it!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1463 on: December 09, 2018, 03:34:08 PM »

That was something that really made me exciting about FOSS (free and open source software). Here were people sharing and working together to give the world some nice tools at no cost. It has leveled the tables so that the people lacking the money to buy fancy software still have free software to use and share. Do good things with it please...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software

What would be the point of hoarding recipes in a family? Attention? At least share with relatives and friends. Hopefully those who inherit the recipes would share more feely.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1464 on: December 09, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »
What would be the point of hoarding recipes in a family? Attention? At least share with relatives and friends. Hopefully those who inherit the recipes would share more feely.

As a (now retired) scientist, the whole idea of putting in thousands of hours to develop some great new thing and then NOT TELLING ANYONE HOW TO DO IT seems entirely contrary to the spirit in which such efforts are undertaken.  Scientists want recognition for their work, but that recognition comes in the form of other people imitating and reproducing it.  This is how society moves forward.  This is how civilization was built.  If your'e hoarding knowledge for yourself, you're literally evil.  In the sense that you're holding the rest of us back from achieving our rightful destiny.

I should not drink and cook and post all at the same time, but today has been a good day.  To all of you hoarding recipes from your neighbors, considers it a holiday good turn to spread the love.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1465 on: December 09, 2018, 05:31:18 PM »
A lost or hoarded recipe isn't the same thing as a scientific discovery.  Recipes are more of an artistic form of expression.  Nobody suffered because Aunt Bea's special bread & butter pickle recipe was buried with her. 

Scientific, technical & medical discoveries are normally protected by patents that ensure the developers, inventors, and investors are well compensated. 

Aunt Bea loved to cook and her recipes made her feel special.  If you're special you can develope your own special recipes, and if you aren't special just go buy a jar of pickles. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1466 on: December 09, 2018, 06:31:09 PM »

Nearby high school has a locally-famous hot dog sauce that they sell at school events.  Think what would happen if a Coney-dog and a meatless chili-dog had a lovechild.  It's awesome.  The only way you're supposed to be able to get the recipe is to put in enough hours working the concession stand at various  games.  And (almost) everyone who knows the recipe is super protective of it because if everyone knew how to make them then they likely wouldn't have people stop by football games in Friday night just to pick some up for dinner.  I've often seen them cooked as fundraisers for various causes.  I can kind of see how people would think that keeping that recipe secret is kind of guarding an asset for them. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1467 on: December 09, 2018, 10:23:49 PM »
Dunno, in high school I dated a guy whose family had a killer BBQ sauce recipe and everyone was supposedly sworn to secrecy of the highest order. Problem is, they were kinda messy. Every time they made up a batch, they left all the ingredients out on the counter. Duh.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1468 on: December 10, 2018, 07:28:29 AM »
Dunno, in high school I dated a guy whose family had a killer BBQ sauce recipe and everyone was supposedly sworn to secrecy of the highest order. Problem is, they were kinda messy. Every time they made up a batch, they left all the ingredients out on the counter. Duh.

It's not just the ingredients, they are just the starting point.  It's quantities and how they are processed.  Does the pastry recipe say that the water has to be super cold?  My mom put the water for my grandmother's pastry recipe in the freezer when she started her prep.  Cold water from the tap when the house is on a well is a lot colder than tap water when the house is on municipal water.

There was a time when a lot of recipes were a pinch of this and a palmfull of that and a cup of water (which cup did she use, coffee cup, tea cup?) and a chunk of butter the size of a hen's egg (how big an egg?).  So you basically needed to be in the kitchen with the cook to really know the recipe.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1469 on: December 10, 2018, 07:54:00 AM »

Definitely a "thing".  It took me two decades to get a recipe out of one of my aunts - I still have her hand-written copy.  I later found that the recipe was almost identical to one in a recipe book from 200 years earlier that was rediscovered long after I remember my aunt using the recipe.

Exactly. Secret recipes aren’t really secret. And they arent protected by copyright, either, if someone thinks thay can be.

coldestcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1470 on: December 10, 2018, 09:53:04 AM »
My mom said she has a goal to get a binder detailing everything she wants set up for when she dies. Detailing who gets what, who to call for accounts, etc. I am glad she is ready to be so prepared as she is still not very old at 62.
This is in contrast to my FIL who at the same age has no will even though when his wife, MIL, passed, it was very messy and ended up costing money, and his mother still doesnt have a will or prepared document in her 90s, with a house in SF.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #1471 on: December 10, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »

This reminds me of the Great Recipe Brouhaha that arose in my family several years ago.   A relative (lets call her Sue) compiled a cookbook of family recipes to give to her daughters when they got married.  Sue offered to send copies of this cookbook to myself and several other relatives which she did.  One day a very securely wrapped package containing the cookbook arrived.  I was happy and wrote to Sue thanking her, she included her own that she made at family gatherings over the years that we raved over.   She gave that information freely.

A few days later, another relative who also received the cookbook contacted me.   Apparently she and one other relative were upset that Sue's cookbook contained recipes from other members of the family that they felt was not supposed to be shared between the entire family.   They were secret!   Sue was taking credit for the recipes!  Now Sue didn't take any "credit" it was just a compilation of family recipes, which besides her own, included other family recipes from other relatives including my mom and grandmother, great grandmother, etc.   No big deal to me but it was darn silly to see all the hoopla over recipes and being shared among family at that.   Good grief.

As far as my own recipes, if someone asks, I give it to them.   Even my peppermint fudge recipe that I make during the holidays and is more curiously strong than Altoids.   I don't understand recipe "secrets".   If someone wants to make it, fine.   Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:34:03 AM by saguaro »

Finallyunderstand

• Stubble
« Reply #1472 on: December 10, 2018, 10:40:44 AM »
My mom always made the best chocolate chip cookies when I was younger.  She had a "secret" that wasn't a big secret but I still use it today.

The recipe itself is literally on the back of almost every bag of Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chip bags at any grocery store but her secret was adding one bag of instant vanilla pudding to the mix.  Not actual pudding, just the powder.  For some reason it makes them amazing.  Who knows if this is a secret from our family or well known but everyone should try it.  Also you take the cookies out about 1 minute too early for the perfect consistency after they cool.  My wife says its the best chocolate chip cookie she ever had/has.

Secret is out now!  Go forth and make cookies. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1473 on: December 10, 2018, 10:52:06 AM »
My mom always made the best chocolate chip cookies when I was younger.  She had a "secret" that wasn't a big secret but I still use it today.

The recipe itself is literally on the back of almost every bag of Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chip bags at any grocery store but her secret was adding one bag of instant vanilla pudding to the mix.  Not actual pudding, just the powder.  For some reason it makes them amazing.  Who knows if this is a secret from our family or well known but everyone should try it.  Also you take the cookies out about 1 minute too early for the perfect consistency after they cool.  My wife says its the best chocolate chip cookie she ever had/has.

Lol, I have all the ingredients in the pantry, including the pudding mix. Fun! Thank you, @Finallyunderstand!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1474 on: December 10, 2018, 11:00:09 AM »

It's not just the ingredients, they are just the starting point.  It's quantities and how they are processed.  Does the pastry recipe say that the water has to be super cold?  My mom put the water for my grandmother's pastry recipe in the freezer when she started her prep.  Cold water from the tap when the house is on a well is a lot colder than tap water when the house is on municipal water.

There was a time when a lot of recipes were a pinch of this and a palmfull of that and a cup of water (which cup did she use, coffee cup, tea cup?) and a chunk of butter the size of a hen's egg (how big an egg?).  So you basically needed to be in the kitchen with the cook to really know the recipe.
@RetiredAt63, I totally agree with you, especially for baked goods. But this was barbeque sauce, with about five ingredients. Not hard to figure out. For example, there was one lemon left out on the counter, but only one half was squeezed out thoroughly, the other was untouched. In the case of a simple sauce, a little deductive reasoning went a long way.

BTW, I watched a random YouTube video recently, part of a series where the grandson films grandma making her famous recipes. She was making a pie from scratch, and definitely stressed that the water must be ice cold. She also made it look easy, without using fancy equipment. Used a ton of sugar, though. Blech. Otherwise, surprisingly entertaining to watch.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1475 on: December 10, 2018, 11:28:13 AM »
LOL, all this talk about pie crust.   I made one last week, for a quiche.   From memory.   In a very fast slapdash sort of way, for a single crust.

I can confirm that using room temperature fats and a bit too much room temperature (or warmish?) water is NOT the way to go.   

The good thing is that it was for a quiche so did not really matter, as long as it releases from the pan.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1476 on: December 10, 2018, 11:36:20 AM »
Pie crust is a fun topic for this thread   ;-).  I haven't made it since I went gluten free, but my grandmother's recipe was fail-proof - as long as you did it right.

Barbecue sauce would be an easy one to at lest partly figure out.  Some recipes are more forgiving than others.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #1477 on: December 10, 2018, 11:42:51 AM »
Pie crust is a fun topic for this thread   ;-).  I haven't made it since I went gluten free, but my grandmother's recipe was fail-proof - as long as you did it right.

Barbecue sauce would be an easy one to at lest partly figure out.  Some recipes are more forgiving than others.

My paternal grandmother made awesome pie crust.   But you had to do it right and using cold water was critical.

Years ago, we were at a restaurant in Arizona that served up an awesome prickly pear barbeque sauce.   Asked for the recipe for which our waiter asked the chef, came back to our table and simply  rattled off the 5 ingredients that I scribbled on a napkin.  That was all I needed.  I had to figure out the ratio of ketchup to soy sauce, but based on a basic barbeque recipe, I figured I came pretty close.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:26:55 PM by saguaro »

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1478 on: December 10, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »

I was taught to do the same pudding mix trick with cake box mixes. Add one instant pudding packet and an extra egg.

For pie crust, cold is definitely the way to go. Water with ice cubes (but no ice in the dough), flour stored in the fridge and blade/food processor bowl in the fridge for a bit to chill.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1479 on: December 10, 2018, 06:45:03 PM »
For pie crust, cold is definitely the way to go. Water with ice cubes (but no ice in the dough), flour stored in the fridge and blade/food processor bowl in the fridge for a bit to chill.

Same with whipped cream, bowl and beaters need to be in the fridge long enough to be really cold before you start.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1480 on: December 11, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »
On a trip to Sicily I became friendly with a restaurant owner who had been a personal Chef in the USA for a spell.  I asked him for a restaurant recommendation between 2 other places close by in our small village as we had hosted multiple dinners at his establishment.
He said he had never been in any restaurant closer than 20 miles from his place as it is considered bad form to check out the other places...bad blood would be created if the other owner recognized him.
He would drive to Messina if his wife wanted to go out for a change. 

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1481 on: December 12, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »

Similar scenario, different ending... My wife's aunt made an amazing apple pie with some kind of special crust. I loved it and I asked my wife if she'd get the recipe. So she asked her aunt... who said she did not give out the recipe. I had never heard of such a thing but my wife said she wasn't that surprised. We never mentioned it again.

Twenty years later, which was about 8 years since we had last seen her aunt, my wife gets a letter in the mail and it was her aunt's recipe. How in the world her aunt remembered my wife asking for the recipe that one time and why she decided to share it two decades later, we have no idea.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1482 on: December 13, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
She remembered it because it means a lot to her. I hope you thanked her profusely.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:55:33 PM by Dicey »

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1483 on: December 13, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »
I'm not saying I agree with it.  But in a traditional environment where "a woman's place was in the home" and one of the few public avenues for recognition of (and possible financial reward for) her creativity and ingenuity was through local cooking contests, I can see why some women would want to keep their recipes close to the vest, and encourage their children to do the same. 

Plus, if you couldn't work and needed a man to provide for you, good cooking was a way to make you especially desirable on the marriage market.

So glad we're beyond that. I fervently agree that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and love exchanging good recipes! I'd heard of the trick of using pudding mix in boxed cakes, I'm going to try it with my own chocolate chip cookies (I use Alton Brown's Chewy recipe, we'll see how it works!).

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1484 on: December 13, 2018, 11:40:13 AM »
Cooking is a good skill but any skills for complicated topics would impress me as a dating male. She's good with computers? Or - she's good at gardening? Sewing? Carpentry? Big into bicycling or hiking?

To me this is a thinker who spent the time and made the effort to get good at something.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1485 on: December 13, 2018, 02:06:40 PM »
Cooking is a good skill but any skills for complicated topics would impress me as a dating male. She's good with computers? Or - she's good at gardening? Sewing? Carpentry? Big into bicycling or hiking?

To me this is a thinker who spent the time and made the effort to get good at something.

That is so true for me, too.

Competence is a really under-rated sexual attractiveness trait.   At least by most people.  I, on the other hand, find a woman becomes really unattractive  to me very quickly if she's not competent at daily living and really good at one or more things.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1486 on: December 14, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »

That is so true for me, too.

Competence is a really under-rated sexual attractiveness trait.   At least by most people.  I, on the other hand, find a woman becomes really unattractive  to me very quickly if she's not competent at daily living and really good at one or more things.

"Well at least she's pretty" still ain't good enough. ;)

Decades ago when i was single: What? She didn't understand something and read a book to figure it out? Ooooh - wonder if she's dating anyone... ;)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1487 on: December 27, 2018, 08:07:53 AM »
I have a story about inheritance and Certain Precious China:

Wow.

Your mom's actions would have completely ruined any sentimental value that China had for me.   

At that point, I would only pay money for it if it was going to turn a profit when I resold it.  It would be valueless for me otherwise.  I wouldn't want to eat off it it.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1488 on: December 27, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »
I have a story about inheritance and Certain Precious China:

Wow.

Your mom's actions would have completely ruined any sentimental value that China had for me.   

At that point, I would only pay money for it if it was going to turn a profit when I resold it.  It would be valueless for me otherwise.  I wouldn't want to eat off it it.

++

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1489 on: December 27, 2018, 05:20:03 PM »
Good for you for not letting the past taint your daughter's future.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1490 on: December 31, 2018, 10:35:18 AM »
I don't know if it qualifies as a drama, but a couple I'm very good friends with got an inheritance from a relative who passed away recently.  I don't know how much it was, but when they brought it up and mentioned that they weren't sure how to use it, I offered to show them how to open a retirement account or invest in index funds.  That didn't sound very fun to them, so they ended up using it to go on 2-week European vacation, and have been on a buying binge ever since they got back with what I assume is the leftover cash.  They're big advocates of retail therapy, you see--just a month or two ago (before they received the inheritance) they were upset because they overspent and had to borrow money from one of their parents.  They also hate their jobs.

I wish I could have helped but I know if i pressed the issue beyond just offering to help them invest it they would be very offended (understandably).  The vacation looked like a lot of fun, but still... seems like a squandered windfall, however much the inheritance was.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1491 on: December 31, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »
I don't know if it qualifies as a drama, but a couple I'm very good friends with got an inheritance from a relative who passed away recently.  I don't know how much it was, but when they brought it up and mentioned that they weren't sure how to use it, I offered to show them how to open a retirement account or invest in index funds.  That didn't sound very fun to them, so they ended up using it to go on 2-week European vacation, and have been on a buying binge ever since they got back with what I assume is the leftover cash.  They're big advocates of retail therapy, you see--just a month or two ago (before they received the inheritance) they were upset because they overspent and had to borrow money from one of their parents.  They also hate their jobs.

I wish I could have helped but I know if i pressed the issue beyond just offering to help them invest it they would be very offended (understandably).  The vacation looked like a lot of fun, but still... seems like a squandered windfall, however much the inheritance was.

Be sure and update us when they (inevitably?) let people know how hard things are and that they don't have the money for 'X' necessity.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1492 on: December 31, 2018, 02:43:09 PM »

Be sure and update us when they (inevitably?) let people know how hard things are and that they don't have the money for 'X' necessity.

The only way I can reconcile this in my head is that they are simply playing a different game to us. A game where the goal is "living life" by spending every dollar available, and having anything leftover is failure.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #1493 on: December 31, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »

The only way I can reconcile this in my head is that they are simply playing a different game to us. A game where the goal is "living life" by spending every dollar available, and having anything leftover is failure.

Wasn't this the plot of a movie, "Brewster's Millions"? Had to spend some enormous sum in 30 days?

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1494 on: December 31, 2018, 07:19:34 PM »
I thought of so many ways to spend that money, even as a teenager it was clear to me how it could be spent without incurring the penalties or breaking rules.  Kind of a fun movie anyway.   

FWIW, it was a novel first!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster%27s_Millions

Don't have an inheritance drama right now EXCEPT that I was thrilled to find out that a near in-law finally (may?) have created an estate plan. He is a spendthrift and a hoarder with at least three mortgages, two pets and he often falls asleep while driving. I had the worst feeling that if he died intestate that the estate cleanup would fall to me somehow, but I seem to be off the hook. If he dies suddenly, I think the pets are the only thing I might have to handle. Whoo!

Dixie_Amazon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1495 on: January 01, 2019, 08:16:25 AM »
I am surprised my husband's step-sister-in-law didn't show up with a moving van after his mother's funeral. My husband's stepfather and mother got married in their 60s and kept their finances separate. I don't know why she expected a huge windfall. Her husband finally calmed her down, but it made for a stressful time.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1496 on: January 01, 2019, 08:48:35 PM »
So sad to anticipate all that.  I hope I can convince my parents to get rid of extra vehicles and the big motorhome before they die--those are the first items my sister will presume are going her way for her sons. 
Heh, I say let 'em have the RV.  From what I've heard, they're a lot like a timeshare--expensive to maintain and depreciate like a luxury sports car.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1497 on: January 02, 2019, 06:47:46 AM »

I think they're on the same hedonic treadmill as a lot of people, hoping that spending the money now will improve their lives and make them happier.  They do make some good financial decisions, such as when they got married and spent as little as they could on the wedding.  I just wish I could have helped them set up a little nest egg, but I think if I had pressed the issue it would have alienated them.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #1498 on: January 02, 2019, 03:15:14 PM »
So sad to anticipate all that.  I hope I can convince my parents to get rid of extra vehicles and the big motorhome before they die--those are the first items my sister will presume are going her way for her sons. 
Heh, I say let 'em have the RV.  From what I've heard, they're a lot like a timeshare--expensive to maintain and depreciate like a luxury sports car.

I agree on letting them have the RV for the same reasons.   Sister will no doubt see it was a great thing but in reality it will probably be more work and expense than anticipated for whoever gets it.

My in-laws have a bunch of artwork and sculptures that are presumed to be worth a lot from their spendthrifts days at the local galleries.  Maybe they are worth a lot but I sort of doubt it.   Sister in law is expecting to get these items and DH is more than happy to let her as he's been in the gallery scene for a year or so and saw the incredible markups.  We are not sure the items will fetch anywhere near what they cost.   

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1499 on: January 03, 2019, 03:15:30 AM »
I expect similar drama when my parents die.  My sister will show up and expect to be running the show and will start to grab things.  She is older and has always been a bossy bitch and is quite cray-cray.  She is 2 years older than me but still likes to think of me as "little girl" (her actual remark to me when fighting) even though I am far more educated, have 30X her wealth, and have very well-scrubbed, educated young women for my daughters.  Bonus, I am not a pathological liar like she is.     

About 20 years ago my parents set up a living trust and told me that they have me on the trust.  They said they do not have my sister on it but I have not seen the actual document.  I did go down with them to sign for their safe deposit box so I can access it one day.  The idea is that I can go down and begin to execute their wishes as a co-trustee and give my sister half, and they don't trust her to handle things.  I will follow their wishes.  I just hope they have informed her of how it is going to go but unfortunately I don't think they have dealt with that. 

I will track what she takes and charge her for it out of her portion of the estate.  I am sure she will want everything to be given to her kids for furnishings and keepsakes, but anything that is not just garage sale crap will be accounted for and taken from her half. 

ugh, dread.  I hope all of this is at least 15 years out.

Really ask yourself if it's worth the effort and strife to do this.  What would happen if you took the stuff you wanted and looked after the truly valuable items (let's say anything over $1000) and let her pillage the rest?  You would likely end up a couple thousand dollars less well-off.  You will have inherited a couple thousand dollars less.  (And that's if she makes off with $4000 worth of stuff, which is quite a lot when we are talking only low value items--used furnishing and keepsakes.)  But you will save yourself the headache and the heartache.  And the time.  Why?  So she doesn't get to "win" by maybe a couple thousand dollars?  Yes, it's messed up that [if] she would do that.  But digging in your heels over a relatively small amount of money seems awfully stubborn, and likely to cause you much unnecessary anguish.  It seems to me like it would be much better to draw a healthy boundary that is somewhere a bit away from "exactly 50/50, even for knick knacks and used furniture".  Protect that boundary, and let her indulge her ugliness and greed up to that line.