Author Topic: Had A Money Relapse...Bought $80 Worth of Alcohol  (Read 7862 times)

coachfrigo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Had A Money Relapse...Bought $80 Worth of Alcohol
« on: March 16, 2018, 10:11:41 AM »
Basically, saving money to buy a cheap motorcycle, and just made it so I'll have $80 less to do so (and that, combined with getting new jobs and paycheck discrepancies, means waiting possibly a month or two before I would have otherwise been able to get it).

Bought some decent stuff (el Jimador tequila, and Monkey Shoulder Scotch), but not worth it. It'll last me a long time, and I've made a mini-hobby out of finding the best "classy" drinks that you're supposed to drink neat, but it's still never worth it.

Not even a huge drinker.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: Had A Money Relapse...Bought $80 Worth of Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »
Go return it if you truly regret it.

coachfrigo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »

Already opened. Definitely regret it. Not the end of the world, but, at the very least, putting it out there to basically be told not to do it again like a child, lol.

Stimpy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 11:32:32 AM »
*FacePunch!*

If it's not something you enjoy, just remember that.  A Hobby, no matter the price should be something you enjoy.  Now if it's the Hunt you enjoy....  Pictures are worth a million words.

And IF you really do want a "classy" neat drink, for the hell of it.  Go to the bar, with a buddy or 3, and get 1 drink.  You might regret the drink later, but A. It's cheaper* and B. You won't regret the company.

* Bottle may be cheaper over all but cause you don't drink often it's cheaper this way!

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 12:08:14 PM »
Monkey Shoulder Scotch
^^ worth it. sip slowly for the next year and contemplate being a badass.

coachfrigo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 12:35:09 PM »
Monkey Shoulder Scotch
^^ worth it. sip slowly for the next year and contemplate being a badass.
One good thing I at least learned to save money on alcohol is to SIP tequila as well. NOT take shots. It's a classy drink, not a college party one.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 01:00:39 PM »
It will keep for ever, no need to drink it soon for fear it will spoil.  I have lots of bottle in my liquor cabinet that range in age from 2 years to maybe 8 years?  So think of it as a long-term purchase, and make it last.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »
Do you never entertain? Booze can be kept forever.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 02:49:56 PM »
OK, bad, bad, bad, never do it again....OK, now let's lighten up. It will last a long time, it will be there for your or your friend's occasional enjoyment, and a little alcohol in the house can be a pleasant thing for those once-in-a-while times when you want some. This is not the end of the world, and you are entitled to some quality of life, or else what's the point? Hey, it's $80...not $800, not $8000.

coachfrigo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 07:58:32 AM »
This is not the end of the world, and you are entitled to some quality of life, or else what's the point? Hey, it's $80...not $800, not $8000.

I guess that's true. It'll last me a while, just need to make sure to not make this a habit. But the whole point of MMM is to improve quality of life while being frugal. Not living cheap.

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 08:19:54 AM »
Having good quality alcohol on hand can stop you from going out for a cocktail with friends. That $80 probably will save you $500+. Two bottles is equal to 40 drinks. Enjoying it to celebrate throughout the year is a great investment.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 09:54:08 AM »
Don't beat yourself up over it. Everyone has a "money relapse" here and there. At least it wasn't something that cost thousands of dollars. Besides, a little treat once in a while won't ruin your FIRE plans. Don't sweat it.

coachfrigo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 06:28:45 PM »
I'd love to eventually turn it into a source of income (freelance bartending side hustle), but don't really have the money to burn on alcohol while learning.

I have some decent resources to learn, just not the $$$.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 07:40:39 PM »
I do a version of this. I don't drink very much/often, but I have an image of myself in my head as someone who is an aficionado of a certain type of alcohol, so sometimes I'll see something really interesting and buy it (or ask for it as a gift). Then it sits around and I never drink it, because it feels too special to just open up on a random evening, and if I have something to celebrate or a special occasion, I'm not sitting around at home drinking alone...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 12:33:25 PM »
Just be very wary so that your purchase doesn't lead to drunken online shopping.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 02:07:47 PM »
A few summers ago bought 4 bottles of hard liquor hosting a 4th july party. And while a signature cocktail was made, I guess my friends are not big cocktail people either? The one alcohol I DID like was the Altos resposado tequila, over the rocks, with lemonade. Was able to finish that off eventually and even bought another to replace. However the others just sat there. I gave the whiskey to my ex, gave rum to a friend who makes cocktails, put the vodka in the pantry for an emergency.   

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is." Dan Quayle

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 03:11:52 PM »
Two bottles is equal to 40 drinks.

I actually had to break out the calculator to check that math.  My partner drinks Manhattans, and you get a little over 6 out of each bottle of Bulleit Rye and a little over 8 out of each bottle of Carpano Antica.  But then...there's 8oz of alcohol in a Manhattan.  I guess that equates to four "shots."

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 04:48:03 PM »

I actually had to break out the calculator to check that math.  My partner drinks Manhattans, and you get a little over 6 out of each bottle of Bulleit Rye and a little over 8 out of each bottle of Carpano Antica.  But then...there's 8oz of alcohol in a Manhattan.  I guess that equates to four "shots."

I like the way you guys party!!  There are 25 ounces in a fifth. Typically, drinks call for one to two ounces of alcohol per drink.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »

Holy crap, really?

That's 5+ drinks at my mix ratio (usually 1.5oz + mixer) or 8 drinks at roommate & neighbor ratios (1oz + mixer -- they like them less strong).  That said, I've never had / made a Manhattan.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 05:36:01 PM »

I just checked four recipes online and every one of them said 2 oz. of whiskey. Your partner is drinking quadruple Manhattans.

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 05:55:17 AM »
Sell your blood to recover the lost money, take advantage of low blood content to maximize alcohol effectiveness. 

Wow very boozy.  Reminds me of my dad's favorite drink, Crown Royal + ice in a sports bottle, lay on the couch and drink until you pass out.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 07:01:59 AM »
Now see, you did pretty well there. You have booze. It will ease the pain. My last bottle of celebration scotch was $220, and not a single regret was had. Then again, that bottle will last at least 5 years.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 07:04:06 AM »
You could do a quick search to see if there are any mail in rebates available for those brands.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 08:41:48 AM »

I just checked four recipes online and every one of them said 2 oz. of whiskey. Your partner is drinking quadruple Manhattans.

I dunno, he drinks 4 oz rye whiskey, 4 oz vermouth, 3 dashes of angostura bitters, shaken over ice, then poured into a martini glass as an "up" manhattan.  Although he likes a 1:1 ratio of rye to vermouth whereas I think 2:1 is standard.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/angels%27_share

It won't keep forever, it will get weaker with age, with both wine and hard liquor.  Finish it within the year if you care about the flavor.  If you're a casual drinker, keep it forever.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 04:35:17 PM »
My daughter got married a couple weeks ago.  The day after the wedding about 25 of us
took two pontoon boats out to an island to lounge on the beach. They brought a jug af Margaritas.
 I have never had Margaritas, I like them.  I had two, about one to many. :-)
I ask my daughter for the recipe.
 I'm thinking about investing in,
1 bottle of Stirlings Margarita mix
1.75 liter of tequila
1.75 liter of Orange Liqueur
1/2 of a 1.75 literbottle of Presidente Brandy

If I make the investment, I'll let you know if it pays dividends!!  :-)

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 07:37:18 PM »
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/angels%27_share

It won't keep forever, it will get weaker with age, with both wine and hard liquor.  Finish it within the year if you care about the flavor.  If you're a casual drinker, keep it forever.

angel's share refers to the alcohol lost in the barrels.  It won't get weaker with age, but it could change color/taste if exposed to a lot of heat and light.  Whisky in good environment, will last years.  Unopened, it will last for decades.

I probably go through two bottles during a party, so I am not usually worried about it going bad.

Finallyunderstand

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 01:08:02 PM »
You can't sweat every small purchase.  If $80 brings that much regret I suggest drinking that scotch you bought until you no longer regret it and then all is right again.  :)

FWIW, I bought an $80 handle of scotch a few months ago and it's still going strong.  If you're not a big drinker then good alcohol can last a long time.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 03:13:02 PM »
Sell your blood to recover the lost money, take advantage of low blood content to maximize alcohol effectiveness

LOL!

$80 is not a huge deal but if you're like me it's a good kick in the pants. It's just enough to be regrettable but it's not enough to derail you. Use it as fuel and keep going.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 12:03:37 AM »
Basically, saving money to buy a cheap motorcycle

As a moto rider, I feel your pain.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 01:45:31 AM »
My wife and I have a small whiskey collection. So do a few of our friends. Every few months or so we get together in someone's house to throw a whiskey tasting night - everyone brings a bottle or two from their collection, and we all taste a little of each whiskey. I'd estimate that it'd cost in the region of about eighty dollars to taste the same range of whiskies in a bar, so we're all well ahead.

Coincidentally, a hundred and sixty dollars is very roughly what my wife and I have spent on bottles of whiskey in the past year or so. Except those two bottles are still three-quarters full (and one of them is an Islay, so only two of us in our circle of friends actually like it, so that'll last aaaaages). Good quality alcohol can definitely be Mustachian.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2018, 07:03:16 AM »

Already opened. Definitely regret it. Not the end of the world, but, at the very least, putting it out there to basically be told not to do it again like a child, lol.

You likely can't return it even if it's unopened.  Alcohol is regulated by the state and in Michigan it's not legal to accept a return for liquor.  I assume it's the same in other states.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2018, 08:47:29 AM »

So stop it! Don't do it again! Ignore all the people saying it's not a big deal or not a lot of money. You say you regret it and it wasn't worth it. Remember that feeling, and use it to make better decisions in the future.

What changes can you make in the next month to save that $80 another way?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2018, 10:58:38 AM »
 I just can't help myself I need to keep up with the coachfrigos.
 I went and bought $72 worth of Margarita supplies.
OK, I didn't spend quite as much and I wasn't really trying to keeping up with the coachfrigos.
Yes, it was a big splurge for me.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:37:34 PM by BTDretire »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 12:16:40 PM »

You likely can't return it even if it's unopened.  Alcohol is regulated by the state and in Michigan it's not legal to accept a return for liquor.  I assume it's the same in other states.

In Ontario I know you can return unopened wine (I have no idea of the time period, but I think it is short).  People do this for parties, receptions etc. and make sure each bottle is finished before the next is opened.  Whatever didn't get used goes back.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 12:17:55 PM »
My daughter got married a couple weeks ago.  The day after the wedding about 25 of us
took two pontoon boats out to an island to lounge on the beach. They brought a jug af Margaritas.
 I have never had Margaritas, I like them.  I had two, about one to many. :-)
I ask my daughter for the recipe.
 I'm thinking about investing in,
1 bottle of Stirlings Margarita mix
1.75 liter of tequila
1.75 liter of Orange Liqueur
1/2 of a 1.75 literbottle of Presidente Brandy

If I make the investment, I'll let you know if it pays dividends!!  :-)

I had a lovely Mojito last summer and invested in a pot of peppermint so I can have it fresh this summer.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2018, 10:54:43 AM »

In Ontario I know you can return unopened wine (I have no idea of the time period, but I think it is short).  People do this for parties, receptions etc. and make sure each bottle is finished before the next is opened.  Whatever didn't get used goes back.

I don't know about wine, but in michigan liquor cannot be returned.  I've known several people that have over bought for a party/reception with the expectation of returning the excess and were then stuck with the excess when the store informed them it's regulated and cannot be returned.

So in ontario I could buy a bunch of wine, leave it sitting in my car in august for a week, then return it? 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 08:31:04 PM »
So what? A few weeks ago I bought a $75 bottle of wine. It was nice.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!