Author Topic: GoFundMe Because I Spent Too Much  (Read 34680 times)

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
GoFundMe Because I Spent Too Much
« on: July 15, 2016, 02:04:45 PM »
I usually don't acknowledge the crowdfunding sort of thing, but my hairdresser (AKA "barber," I call her) has just fallen gravely ill and has to go for  regular cancer treatments in Toronto.  She's only like 33 and just had a baby last year.  It all happened totally out of the blue.  While it's nice (the majority) of our health care is covered in Canada, there's tons of travel costs for her and her family.  Since she's an amazeballs and super-funny person (I wouldn't normally pay for haircuts, but she's such a blast and a friend), I logged on last night to flip a $100 bucks.

Anyway...  After doing that, the site picked up ('cause of my Facebook) that I knew somebody else on there needing cash as well.  I clicked and... What in the fuck?  They're begging for money!  Because they spent too much and have high credit card bills.   Boo, fuckin'-hoo!  I thought, "Surely this is an anomaly, it can't be normal?"  So, I made the gigantic error of typing 'debt' into the search.  Holy-mother-Malone!!  Hundreds of people (in just one city area) came up begging.

Some people want to go to school for free, some people have paid for a trip on credit and now want others to pay to "help realize the life dream", others have just been plain fucking stupid.  Luckily, it seems not many people are rubes enough to fall for this and thankfully most of these "funding" things say "$0 raised by 0 donors" at the bottom.  But man, I just couldn't believe it.  ...Now I do.  Still can't wrap my head around it though.  OK, OK, everyone needs "a little help now and then" (which so many of these funders point out), but 95% of it is just complainypants and spendypants nonsense.

https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=search&addterm=debt&term=L4T0A3&country=CA

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: GoFundMe Because I Spent Too Much
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 02:10:24 PM »
Wow!  What a strange world.

I have a high school friend (turned acquaintance at this point) who had fertility problems and used gofundme or something similar to fund her first adoption.  Clearly that's not as cringeworthy as the "I bought too much shit, now fix it for me" posts, but I thought it was just a little weird at the time, as she was 22-23, able bodied, able to earn money, etc.  They adopted a daughter, seem like great parents, and now are trying to crowdfund a second adoption.  This time around the posts grated on me so much I blocked her.  Like, you knew you wanted to adopt again, had time to save, no health conditions, no emergencies... why didn't you just save money?  Nowhere near as obnoxious as these posts, but I don't feel like crowdfunding is to get you out of predictable non-emergency situations.  If she had medical complications from her pregnancy, or her daughter got sick with something you would never expect, it wouldn't bother me.

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 02:23:35 PM »
I'm blushed now because I once ran my own gofundme type page, I guess it was a different website but I can't remember the name now.

I had gotten a scholarship to study abroad but my family was super broke at the time, they probably helped me with $25 in the 9 months I was away.

At the time I had many long-time online friends, some of them were really sweet and willing to help me out. I am still thankful to them and try to keep in touch with them, and they will have my gratitude forever. Now you may think they were stupid for helping me (or not), but I think education is worth helping for. One of the guys who sent me money (US$100) said "when I was young I went on the best trip of my life, I'll never forget it, and I hope you enjoy yourself and keep good memories of your time there" That was very sweet of him

I see what you mean and it seems really wrong to be begging for money to pay for stupid debt, and of course a good cause or something worth helping for is much better than a silly mistake/purchase/decision from the past.

I'm lucky to have the means now to save money/pay for things and I've even given back to make-up for the help I've gotten in the past.
I never made a fundme page again. 

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 02:26:36 PM »
I've seen a few of these from friends on Facebook. One of them was a couple and the wife didn't have paid maternity leave so they were begging for money so she could take 2 months off and not disrupt the "paycheck to paycheck" lifestyle or *GASP* cut back on spending temporarily.

I wonder if those who donate realize that they're actually paying for fancy dinners, too-expensive cars, clothes, concerts, probably restaurant lunches, etc. because the couple sure as hell isn't foregoing those things in order to save money. The way people rationalize their financial decisions is just mind boggling to me.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 02:30:40 PM by armueller2001 »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 02:49:51 PM »

I wonder if those who donate realize that they're actually paying for fancy dinners, too-expensive cars, clothes, concerts, probably restaurant lunches, etc. because the couple sure as hell isn't foregoing those things in order to save money. The way people rationalize their financial decisions is just mind boggling to me.

I feel this way about Trump donors.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »

Trump's campaign generally doesn't try to attract donors. Last I heard, Trump had gotten only a few million in donations since he started his campaign while Sanders and Clinton were solicitations tens of millions each month.

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I contributed to a "I spent too much, HELP ME" GoFundMe that was started by a Cracked writer around Christmastime.  He'd gotten into severe debt because he'd spent a lot of his student loan money on partying instead of tuition and books.  I guess I was in a generous mood because Christmas, because I gave him $25 with the idea that he'd write a story starring me.  (That was his hook - "Don't GIVE me money!  I'll EARN it by writing stuff for you!")  Well, it's now July, and I have yet to see that story.  Lesson learned.

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 03:17:04 PM »
Some of these are really quite comical.  Take this one for example.  Dumb woman is spending $5,000 to sue the government because she took out student loan debt, and she hasn't wanted to pay if off over the past 10 years she's been working and now the government is likely trying to garnish her wages.  Tuition in Canada was like...$2,500 a year back then, so....wouldn't it just make more sense to use the $5,000 to pay 2 years of your tuition debt than to try to sue them to remove it (i.e. waste that money putting a smile on your lawyers face)? 
https://www.gofundme.com/debtforgiveness

Some are pure satire against other friend's dumb choices, like this guy who created one for the $8 his friend refused to pay
https://www.gofundme.com/2b6kwf4k

Some are disgusting and pathetic, like this sociopath who basically posted a "GoFundMe or I kill myself" page.
https://www.gofundme.com/22d9w4tv

And some would set Mustacians really off, like this ass clown who is broke, but wants to buy his girlfriend an $8,000 engagement ring and is hoping friends & family will pitch in.  Yeah, I'm sure she'll love that -- for the rest of her life she'll get a daily reminder from her social circle of "oh that ring looks so nice on you...I'm so glad I was able to help pay for it for you (evil smirk)".  Yeah, you really stepped up and are going to prove you're a man and can provide...by begging.
https://www.gofundme.com/2bfkzpck

FIREwoman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
someone i know has/had a go-fund me for adoption.

but then posts about buying a waverunner (used), extra bands for her wedding ring (is that a thing?), and going to see a psychic, all within a few weeks of each other.

her and her husband also post about future vacations a lot. within the past 2 weeks, it's been about those "over-the-water" suites at sandals ($4,000+/night, minimum 3 day stay, but you get a butler!) and some mansion in tennessee you can rent out for $2,700 for 2 nights (though it does sleep 18 people...). she bought them a week's vacation in jamaica a year or two ago for his birthday and said it was $4,000 for both of them for the week. i can't even imagine.

they don't make good money; he doesn't even work most of the time. they declared bankruptcy a few years back. priorities, people!

or...reality, people!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 03:27:23 PM »

Trump's campaign generally doesn't try to attract donors. Last I heard, Trump had gotten only a few million in donations since he started his campaign while Sanders and Clinton were solicitations tens of millions each month.

Then you are awesomely ill-informed(I mean this as a compliment as watching the news is hazardous for health). In June he had barely any cash so he's kicked up fundraising appeals.

The reason why I said that this reminded me about Trump donors is because hosts campaign events at "his" properties and the money he's contributed to his campaigns are loans, so future donations will likely be spent to either pay him back or be spent at a Trump Towers luncheon.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
How long can the crazy last at crowd-funding websites? To me it seems crazy that this ever got started but it has and it continues.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 03:01:25 PM »
Ugh, these fuckin' things...

I make it a point never to give to any of them unless it's specifically something in the Genuinely Doing Good/Saving The World vein. Sole exception: After a buddy of mine died unexpectedly, his family set up one of these pages to cover hospital bills, funeral expenses, etc. I contributed what I could because they're not well off financially, and a 24 year old passing suddenly isn't something you ever plan for in the first place. They raised something like 6-8k total, if I remember correctly.

What pissed me off, though, was at his service... One of the family members got up and announced that they were setting up a second page, because one of my buddy's dreams was to go to Australia someday, but he never got to. The money raised would go toward an all-expenses-paid trip for the family (seven people between the parents and remaining kids) to go to Australia for a week or two and spread his ashes there.

I mean, I get that it's a nice, feel-good thing to do in someone's memory if you have the money... but come on. I'm not paying for seven of you to go on an Australian vacation just because I was friends with your son.

Pretty sure everyone else felt the same way. Someone sent out a Facebook blast a few months later to remind us to donate, and I clicked out of curiosity - I think they only raised like $25 toward that goal.

Ridiculous.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 03:24:13 PM »
The ones that annoy me the most are the "help me raise money so I can save the world" campaigns, that are really about someone wanting a free vacation. Case in point, a Facebook acquaintance of mine has been going on and on recently about her campaign, which is designed for her to fly to Africa to meet some child she has been "sponsoring" through donations that help with the kid's education (donations far below the cost of this trip, no doubt). Admirable enough of her to help the kid out, of course, but I think it's completely disingenuous to act like blowing the money and fuel/emissions required to fly to Africa and visit this kid is anything other than her wanting a free trip she's always dreamed of while being able to simultaneously feel superior about what a good person she supposedly is. I would be far more impressed if she was simply raising more money for this charity to be used on far less wasteful endeavors than her little adventure.

K-Dogg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 03:37:15 PM »
Bahaha. I actually did travel to Ecuador to meet a little boy I was sponsoring about 8 years ago. Never asked anyone to help fund me and I didn't make a big deal about it online. I remember being reminded not to share photos of the children online do to safety concerns...

Anyways, it was a personal decision and asking others to fund that would be completely out of the question.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 03:45:49 PM »
Bahaha. I actually did travel to Ecuador to meet a little boy I was sponsoring about 8 years ago. Never asked anyone to help fund me and I didn't make a big deal about it online. I remember being reminded not to share photos of the children online do to safety concerns...

Anyways, it was a personal decision and asking others to fund that would be completely out of the question.

Heh, well as long as you paid your own way, I see it as distinctly more admirable than some random vacation :)

It just annoys the hell out of me that she's acting like donating to her trip is remotely similar to donating to a charity.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 03:54:28 PM »
The ones that annoy me the most are the "help me raise money so I can save the world" campaigns, that are really about someone wanting a free vacation. Case in point, a Facebook acquaintance of mine has been going on and on recently about her campaign, which is designed for her to fly to Africa to meet some child she has been "sponsoring" through donations that help with the kid's education (donations far below the cost of this trip, no doubt). Admirable enough of her to help the kid out, of course, but I think it's completely disingenuous to act like blowing the money and fuel/emissions required to fly to Africa and visit this kid is anything other than her wanting a free trip she's always dreamed of while being able to simultaneously feel superior about what a good person she supposedly is. I would be far more impressed if she was simply raising more money for this charity to be used on far less wasteful endeavors than her little adventure.

My dad always called those "VaMission trips" (pronounced Vae, shorthand for vacation-mission)

Someone's gotta be doing some serious, long-term work if I'm helping to fund it. None of this "high school/college kid dicks around in Africa for a week taking Facebook pictures with smiling poor children" nonsense. I'm talking giving up 6 months minimum, ideally into the several years range (Peace Corps comes to mind).

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 03:57:25 PM »

My dad always called those "VaMission trips" (pronounced Vae, shorthand for vacation-mission)

Someone's gotta be doing some serious, long-term work if I'm helping to fund it. None of this "high school/college kid dicks around in Africa for a week taking Facebook pictures with smiling poor children" nonsense. I'm talking giving up 6 months minimum, ideally into the several years range (Peace Corps comes to mind).

Agreed.  Just give to doctors without borders or someone else with a stable commitment.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 04:20:48 PM »
For sure. And to be clear I don't judge someone for wanting to do this in general, just for asking others to pay while acting like you're doing anything other than going on a vacation. There may be a charity component to the vacation, which is laudable, but unless your physical presence manifestly adds more value than simply donating the cost of the trip, you can't claim your reasons are selfless. If it's an extended trip involving heavy work (building houses, cleaning up water supplies, etc.), that's another story.   

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 09:41:32 AM »

ABSOLUTELY! I know a lot of people that go on mission's trips, and while they do do a lot of work, I cannot think of it as anything other than vanity/vacation. I truly believe that if they really wanted to help Haiti, Mexico, or anywhere else, they are far better off donating the money they would spend on a the trip to a local charity or non-profit that's based there.

If you are feeling an itch to do something, there's plenty of volunteering opportunities in your community. Of course, you won't get a chance to post pictures of you at the beach/smiling poor kids. I still know of a few people that went on a missions trip to Thailand. Though I'm certain that they did a considerable amount of hard work there, the pictures they posted back were of them going to a night market and of riding elephants.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 11:07:19 AM »
For sure. And to be clear I don't judge someone for wanting to do this in general, just for asking others to pay while acting like you're doing anything other than going on a vacation. There may be a charity component to the vacation, which is laudable, but unless your physical presence manifestly adds more value than simply donating the cost of the trip, you can't claim your reasons are selfless. If it's an extended trip involving heavy work (building houses, cleaning up water supplies, etc.), that's another story.

For all my bashing it, I do think there's *some* value in people going - Particularly when you view it in light of how consumeristic our society is, and I'm all for people realizing exactly how spoiled rotten we are in the states. But again, it's not my job to pay for someone else going on vacation to expand their worldview.

If you are feeling an itch to do something, there's plenty of volunteering opportunities in your community. Of course, you won't get a chance to post pictures of you at the beach/smiling poor kids. I still know of a few people that went on a missions trip to Thailand. Though I'm certain that they did a considerable amount of hard work there, the pictures they posted back were of them going to a night market and of riding elephants.

Fun bonus story for anybody following my "Roommate Rant" thread!

Jack took a VaMission trip to Central America (Guatemala?) back in high school. Still likes to talk about what a life-changing experience it was, how differently he views the world now, his understanding of true poverty, etc. All cool stuff, I suppose.

He keeps a bunch of framed pictures on one of our walls, and one of them is from the VaMission trip - him with two cute local girls. If you ever ask him about it, he'll tell you the story of how they were his first threesome, and other shenanigans the three of them got into that week.

Hilarious, yes, but please stop telling me that WASN'T a vacation.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »

For all my bashing it, I do think there's *some* value in people going - Particularly when you view it in light of how consumeristic our society is, and I'm all for people realizing exactly how spoiled rotten we are in the states. But again, it's not my job to pay for someone else going on vacation to expand their worldview.

Fun bonus story for anybody following my "Roommate Rant" thread!

Jack took a VaMission trip to Central America (Guatemala?) back in high school. Still likes to talk about what a life-changing experience it was, how differently he views the world now, his understanding of true poverty, etc. All cool stuff, I suppose.

He keeps a bunch of framed pictures on one of our walls, and one of them is from the VaMission trip - him with two cute local girls. If you ever ask him about it, he'll tell you the story of how they were his first threesome, and other shenanigans the three of them got into that week.

Hilarious, yes, but please stop telling me that WASN'T a vacation.

That was the mission of the trip.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
I'm blushed now because I once ran my own gofundme type page, I guess it was a different website but I can't remember the name now.

I had gotten a scholarship to study abroad but my family was super broke at the time, they probably helped me with $25 in the 9 months I was away.

At the time I had many long-time online friends, some of them were really sweet and willing to help me out. I am still thankful to them and try to keep in touch with them, and they will have my gratitude forever. Now you may think they were stupid for helping me (or not), but I think education is worth helping for. One of the guys who sent me money (US$100) said "when I was young I went on the best trip of my life, I'll never forget it, and I hope you enjoy yourself and keep good memories of your time there" That was very sweet of him

When my mother was in HS on the debate team (in the 1950s), the two top debaters were invited to go to a national meet.  She didn't make the cut, but somebody from her neighborhood went door to door to all the businesses in town and told the story of Kayzie.  The businesses contributed enough money to send Kayzie on the trip and she was so overwhelmed by the gesture.  Then she got voted homecoming queen and had to turn it down because after someone goes door-to-door for you, you can't just say "sorry, something better just came up". 
To my knowledge, she's only told that story once in her adult life and it was to me because I was asking some very specific questions. 
I wonder how many people today would make the same decision that she did? 

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
Awesome to the OP for trying to help his friend the barber.  Gosh how sad!
As far as the other folks begging, that is the world we live in.  No thanks

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 07:00:17 PM »

Agreed.  Just give to doctors without borders or someone else with a stable commitment.

Or engineers without borders. We make it they don't get water transmitted diseases and need the doctor. !!!

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 07:42:30 PM »
I'm really tempted to give all 200 people who want help with debt in my city $0.02 each.

Comments:

"You should probably pay for this yourself.

That's my 2 cents."

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 08:33:23 AM »
I'm really tempted to give all 200 people who want help with debt in my city $0.02 each.

Comments:

"You should probably pay for this yourself.

That's my 2 cents."

I can't think of a more entertaining way to spend $4.

You're my new hero.

laka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 09:28:44 AM »
I know someone who posted a GoFundMe - she legitimately had health issues, and her husband simultaneously had job issues, and she was asking for money ("Even $25 would help!"). But then she was completely tone-deaf about her posting. She posted about buying rocks/crystals to set up a protection/healing net while she recovered, posted multiple ideas for gifts she would like to have (often directed at her husband), and got really defensive about anyone questioning her spending.  Which, seriously, just don't post about it.

A couple of months later she's posted that they decided to take money out of their retirement to pay off credit card bills, pay for braces for their child, and since they were taking out money anyway, take a long weekend vacation to a nearby state. Which was "really inexpensive." And buy more rocks. While both she and her husband are recovering from surgery, her husband needs another (fairly minor) surgery soon, and their new health insurance doesn't kick in for another month. 

I have her hidden on FB, but I keep going back to check out what she's up to. The poor choices are just.....astounding.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 01:29:34 PM »
Down the street from us is a small gated enclave of a dozen homes in the 5,000 to 10,000 square foot range. The least expensive house would be worth at least 2x more than any of the surrounding homes in the immediate area.

We live on the main road, outside the moat. About 12 years ago, before GoFundMe and most other Internet things, two teenage boys knocked on the door. I opened the door and they stood there. (I thought they were young religious types.)

Finally the one boy spoke up. "Hi, um, we live in (insert Clown Home community name). You might know my dad, Dr. So-and-So."

I shook my head.

"Oh, well, anyway we're raising money for our upcoming soccer trip to San Diego." (We live in Florida.)

"Okay," I said. "Are you selling something?"

"Um, no. We're just asking for donations. By the way, our neighbor XXXX (who played Major League Baseball at the time) gave us each twenty bucks!"

I did a quick calculation. Said neighbor was making $8 million at the time. If I gave them each 50 cents, I would have given them proportionately more of my income.

"Let me get this straight, guys," I said. "You live in (insert Clown Home community) and your dad is a doctor, right?"

They nod.

"Why didn't you just ask him for the money?"

I'll never forget what the kid said next. "He thought it was important that we go out and earn the money ourselves."

Sometimes I wonder if those kids are the founders of GoFundMe.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »
Down the street from us is a small gated enclave of a dozen homes in the 5,000 to 10,000 square foot range. The least expensive house would be worth at least 2x more than any of the surrounding homes in the immediate area.

We live on the main road, outside the moat. About 12 years ago, before GoFundMe and most other Internet things, two teenage boys knocked on the door. I opened the door and they stood there. (I thought they were young religious types.)

Finally the one boy spoke up. "Hi, um, we live in (insert Clown Home community name). You might know my dad, Dr. So-and-So."

I shook my head.

"Oh, well, anyway we're raising money for our upcoming soccer trip to San Diego." (We live in Florida.)

"Um, no. We're just asking for donations. By the way, our neighbor XXXX (who played Major League Baseball at the time) gave us each twenty bucks!"

I did a quick calculation. Said neighbor was making $8 million at the time. If I gave them each 50 cents, I would have given them proportionately more of my income.

"Let me get this straight, guys," I said. "You live in (insert Clown Home community) and your dad is a doctor, right?"

They nod.

I'll never forget what the kid said next. "He thought it was important that we go out and earn the money ourselves."

Yikes. That story is both hilarious and sad/deeply troubling.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 01:47:40 PM »

I shook my head.

They nod.

Because their dad would make them do chores to earn money vs. asking neighbors is soooo much easier!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 02:01:47 PM »

I shook my head.

They nod.

Because their dad would make them do chores to earn money vs. asking neighbors is soooo much easier!

I remember in elementary and middle school we were asked to go door to door asking for donations for things like DARE and other causes. I remember not enjoying it because I would be going to my neighbors in the evening and asking them for money. I remember hearing something about donations being tax exempt, but couldn't fully articulate it (I was 7 at the time, I think). My dad absolutely hated the concept and finally at one point forbid me from doing it.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2016, 02:44:24 PM »
I recently saw a Go Fund Me request pop up on a local Facebook page where the requester was looking for money to go visit her boyfriend who had recently gone to Europe.  Yup.  Wanted others to pay for her week trip to go out and see him.  The sad part was that she had actually already raised some money (less than $100 of her $1500 goal, but still.)

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
I don't have any friends making crazy GFM requests, but I have one friend who ended up maxing out the rest of her credit card by donating to GFM requests.  She was unemployed and was running negative every month so she was living on her credit card.  In 1 month she charged several hundred dollars of GFM "helping" others, then broke down in despair <sarcasm> when she realized her CC was maxed out and she couldn't pay her rent.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2016, 03:13:31 PM »
I remember in elementary and middle school we were asked to go door to door asking for donations for things like DARE and other causes. I remember not enjoying it because I would be going to my neighbors in the evening and asking them for money. I remember hearing something about donations being tax exempt, but couldn't fully articulate it (I was 7 at the time, I think). My dad absolutely hated the concept and finally at one point forbid me from doing it.

I'm with your Dad on this. We don't let our kids sell anything for the schools. Everything is dollar store grade stuff and costs the moon and then the school only gets ~30% of the money they raise anyhow.

I send a $25 donation to school with them (a check) each year and that's that. Fortunately my kids have outgrown the awe they once held for the prizes offered at school and the day-dream of being the celebrated seller for their grade. Early on we (us and the kids) had some tough conversations about it.

And then there is the school supplies list which asks each year for more pencils than I used in 3 years, more tissues than I used all through school, etc. It MUST be a situation where some the lower income kids can't bring anything at all or the teachers are selling it on eBay. The cost is not a big deal to us but the inventory of supplies must be staggering. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2016, 03:25:12 PM »
But isnt it about helping someone when they need help? If we all just put in a few bucks,  our collective effort solves his/her problem. It isnt difficult to donate  a few dollars, we all have so much.

Then, when we ourselves need help, we can get it from the bigger community. Thats what caring looks like in  a beautiful, compassionate  community. Kumbaeya.

/sarcasm
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:28:04 PM by iris lily »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2016, 03:30:28 PM »

I'm with your Dad on this. We don't let our kids sell anything for the schools. Everything is dollar store grade stuff and costs the moon and then the school only gets ~30% of the money they raise anyhow.

I absolutely agree.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »

I send a $25 donation to school with them (a check) each year and that's that. Fortunately my kids have outgrown the awe they once held for the prizes offered at school and the day-dream of being the celebrated seller for their grade. Early on we (us and the kids) had some tough conversations about it.

And then there is the school supplies list which asks each year for more pencils than I used in 3 years, more tissues than I used all through school, etc. It MUST be a situation where some the lower income kids can't bring anything at all or the teachers are selling it on eBay. The cost is not a big deal to us but the inventory of supplies must be staggering.

My mom is an elementary school nurse. It is *extremely* rare that they have any tissues left over by the end of the year.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 04:04:54 PM »
Some are definitely very silly. I had a friend fundraising for surgery for their dog that was a few thousand. The friend was professionally employed and childless (I would have had more understanding for a graduate school friend).

Some of the stories on there are doozies, though. My friend shared one (from someone at church?) where a woman's husband walked out on her and the kids *while* she was in the hospital after the birth of their third child. And he took ALL the money. How do you recover from that kind of betrayal except to petition the community for help? Not everyone can turn to family.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 04:19:35 PM »
My god, I just searched "debt" in Gofundme's Vancouver area, and there were seven pages of results! What a level of entitlement. I'm so glad I don't have anyone in my life like that.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2016, 04:24:10 PM »
Some are definitely very silly. I had a friend fundraising for surgery for their dog that was a few thousand. The friend was professionally employed and childless (I would have had more understanding for a graduate school friend).

Some of the stories on there are doozies, though. My friend shared one (from someone at church?) where a woman's husband walked out on her and the kids *while* she was in the hospital after the birth of their third child. And he took ALL the money. How do you recover from that kind of betrayal except to petition the community for help? Not everyone can turn to family.

Not even one lawyer in that church community?

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2016, 04:39:32 PM »

Not even one lawyer in that church community?

I don't think lawyers are very helpful in the immediate timeframe when you can't easily find the person you want to sue... Certainly long-term that should definitely have been part of the strategy (I don't know how the story turned out). But in the meantime, kids need to be fed and rent needs to be paid (let's assume the community rallies to provide childcare at no cost), and the mother is recovering from a surgical delivery with complications. And she's been staying home with the kids so "go out and get a job" isn't exactly straightforward in the moment. They were only asking for support for like 2 months, which seems like quite a quick turnaround in that situation.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2016, 05:56:04 PM »
But isnt it about helping someone when they need help? If we all just put in a few bucks,  our collective effort solves his/her problem. It isnt difficult to donate  a few dollars, we all have so much.

Then, when we ourselves need help, we can get it from the bigger community. Thats what caring looks like in  a beautiful, compassionate  community. Kumbaeya.

/sarcasm

Indeed! Of course, in reality, there are people who just can't keep from jumping into the shitheap.

When we see someone drowning in shit and begging for help, it's only human nature to pull that person out again especially if we've got no clue as to how that person got there. Medical emergencies happen. People are the victims of crime. A big enough wave can sink even the sturdiest ship, etc., etc. It's good that human beings have these altruistic impulses, because it allows us to survive as a species even through adverse circumstances. It allows more humans to survive to adulthood despite having a biologically imposed childhood and adolescence much longer, proportionately, than nearly all other mammals. However, our society is now large enough and comfortable enough that the cause of someone's distress is not always obvious.

When someone is drowning in shit, a lot of the times another person will provide the help necessary to pull that person out, only for the recipient of aid to turn around and jump right back into the shit again. I've seen it too many times to count. The only conclusion I can possibly draw is that the person who does this simply likes the feel, smell, and taste of being in the shit.

There exists a class of human beings who really do prefer to live like pigs, with no regard for the well-being of others. They turn every possible home or refuge into a sty, either figuratively or literally, with toxic behavior, drama, and sometimes literal filth. That's their comfort zone. They may express dissatisfaction with the sty that they're in, but if you take them out of it and put them in, say, your living room or your personal life, they immediately start shitting everywhere and rooting around in order to create as sty-like an environment as possible. You can take the pig out of the sty, but you can't take the sty lifestyle out of a domesticated pig.

Life with a pig is a one-way street, until and unless you decide it's time for bacon and are prepared to follow through with it. You can work yourself stupid providing slops and sty space, but you'll receive diddly-ding in return especially if you're the one in need. The most you can ever expect is an invitation to share the sty. If a sty is what you want... go for it. For most of us Mustachians, a sty is not what we want. A humble dwelling, yes. But we skip the flies, filth, and disorganization that goes with a sty.

Pigs are intelligent animals, and the human variety learns quickly how to make the proper mouth noises to get others to top up the trough. They're good at oinking about how they're "gonna" go back to school, settle their debts, manage their finances, quit smoking, care for their multiple children, get a job, or do something that stands a chance of improving their situation, in reality it's not going to happen, because the pig-human does not function like an adult despite having survived to reproductive age or beyond.

An adult human has his or her ducks in a row, and his or her fucks in a row. Not so with the pig-human. Pig-humans are so disorganized, so irresponsible, so unreliable, so inconsiderate of others, and so subject to changing their plans at a whim that they are incapable of following through on a commitment or an initiative. Their ducks aren't in a row. Also, their priorities are so radically out of whack that they either don't realize or don't care about what the most important expenses or activities are. So instead of studying for the GED, they sit in front of the idiot box or hunt for virtual goodies online. Instead of cleaning the homes they live in, they build elaborate Minecraft edifices or virtual farms. Instead of spending time with their (usually multiple) children to make sure they learn how to read, they spend their off hours cavorting in a mall or going out for yet another restaurant meal or else socializing. Instead of treating their benefactors with decency, they bite the hands that feed them. That's what I mean by not having their fucks in a row.

People always go after what they want, and when every possible effort is bent on having and maintaining a sty lifestyle, you have to conclude that the sty is what they want. They are so much in love with the sty lifestyle that they do their best to pull other people into it.

Now, the thing with pigs, and by this I mean the human sort, is... they're greedy. They always want a bigger and fancier sty, and they always want more slops. They waste the vast majority of whatever slops they are given, treading them underfoot to the point where they can't be used by any other animal, but that doesn't keep them from grunting for more every chance they get. They learn that the only way to out-compete the other pigs, and the other animals (thank you, George Orwell) is to be louder and more assertive with their depiction of need. The fastest way to make someone refill the trough is to empty it. So people who live like pigs are professional victims and professionally needy.

People who live like pigs go through far more resources than people who don't live like pigs but who are in distress. Part of the reason is that the people who live like pigs are far more experienced and skilled at latching on to an available farmer, and at claiming what resources exist and are available. An experienced pig-man or pig-woman can easily outcompete, say, a genuinely vulnerable person (such as a child) when competing for resources from the extended family or community. That's why addicts, for example, suck down so much within a family that other less competitive family members end up going without.

Having established this rather disgusting analogy, I'd like to return to the point so beautifully and sarcastically made by Iris Lily: giving a little bit more to a pig doesn't help the pig long-term. Nor does it create an infrastructure in which a person in need can obtain relief. It's a fashionable and politically correct custom to pretend that voluntary and ongoing pigdom is somehow the same as being overwhelmed by unavoidable or unpredictable circumstances, but in reality it's not.

When deciding whether to offer aid, I first give the person space to show me the extent to which they embrace pig culture. One of the biggest indicators of pigdom, to me, is the inability to distinguish between "earning" money (by providing services or goods of reasonable value in exchange for it) and simply "getting" money through begging, solicitation of gifts, or dipping into the public reserves.

In a perfectly compassionate community (following Iris Lily's sarcastically presented ultra-liberal example), the pigs quickly commandeer all the available resources, leaving none for people whose distress is anything but self inflicted.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2016, 06:25:51 PM »
When deciding whether to offer aid, I first give the person space to show me the extent to which they embrace pig culture. One of the biggest indicators of pigdom, to me, is the inability to distinguish between "earning" money (by providing services or goods of reasonable value in exchange for it) and simply "getting" money through begging, solicitation of gifts, or dipping into the public reserves.

TGS writes another gem of a post.  Well explained.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2016, 06:35:22 PM »

Yes, and I will admit that last month I gave $100 to a very young widow with 5 children whose husband died of a  virulent cancer. To add to the pathos,she is extraordinarily beautiful. The image of her standng at his casket is the stuff of epic drama. Yet, I do not know her and she is not in my community.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:37:09 PM by iris lily »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2016, 12:45:45 AM »

Yes, and I will admit that last month I gave $100 to a very young widow with 5 children whose husband died of a  virulent cancer. To add to the pathos,she is extraordinarily beautiful. The image of her standng at his casket is the stuff of epic drama. Yet, I do not know her and she is not in my community.

Nor is she likely to be heavily immersed in pig culture. Well done.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2016, 01:04:03 AM »
I came across this a few weeks ago through STFU Parents on Facebook. It's so bad that I really, really hope it's a troll.

https://www.gofundme.com/Greenlynnedsbirthe

As most of you know I had Sckottland. At home. I will also be having Greenlynned at home. However it cost. $3,700 for the services of a midwife which is why I am asking for your help. Having Sckottland at home was the most amazing experience. I have ever had in my entire life. I would not normally ask for help in this situation but like most people we are completely broke at the moment. Whether we are able to raise the money or not I will still have her at home. It is just a lot more safe to have a trained professional by your side in this instance. Thank You all so much for your help.

From STFU Parents:

To summarize: Jennifer has another child named “Skottland.” Since having Skottland, she’s had four miscarriages and tried for many months to have a successful pregnancy, and yet “like most people” she and her family are “completely broke at the moment.” In many ways, the elements of this story don’t exactly add up, but if you sort of tilt your head to the side, re-read this fundraiser description, and then reflect on all the details, it actually adds up perfectly.

I also appreciate the way Jennifer sort of bullies her friends into contributing to her home birth by saying she won’t have a trained professional at the ready if her buddies don’t chip in and pay the fee. Way to subtly guilt trip your network of friends, Jennifer!

“Hey guys, do you want to help ensure that my child is born healthy, or are you willing to accept a fraction of the blame if something goes wrong and we couldn’t afford to hire a midwife? Just some food for thought. We accept cash and credit cards. Thanks!”

If true, the miscarriages are sad, the level of entitlement is breathtaking, and the baby names are bloody awful.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2016, 01:19:55 AM »
I came across this a few weeks ago through STFU Parents on Facebook. It's so bad that I really, really hope it's a troll.

As most of you know I had Sckottland. At home. I will also be having Greenlynned at home. However it cost. $3,700 for the services of a midwife which is why I am asking for your help. Having Sckottland at home was the most amazing experience. I have ever had in my entire life. I would not normally ask for help in this situation but like most people we are completely broke at the moment. Whether we are able to raise the money or not I will still have her at home. It is just a lot more safe to have a trained professional by your side in this instance. Thank You all so much for your help.

From STFU Parents:

To summarize: Jennifer has another child named “Skottland.” Since having Skottland, she’s had four miscarriages and tried for many months to have a successful pregnancy, and yet “like most people” she and her family are “completely broke at the moment.” In many ways, the elements of this story don’t exactly add up, but if you sort of tilt your head to the side, re-read this fundraiser description, and then reflect on all the details, it actually adds up perfectly.

I also appreciate the way Jennifer sort of bullies her friends into contributing to her home birth by saying she won’t have a trained professional at the ready if her buddies don’t chip in and pay the fee. Way to subtly guilt trip your network of friends, Jennifer!

“Hey guys, do you want to help ensure that my child is born healthy, or are you willing to accept a fraction of the blame if something goes wrong and we couldn’t afford to hire a midwife? Just some food for thought. We accept cash and credit cards. Thanks!”

If true, the miscarriages are sad, the level of entitlement is breathtaking, and the baby names are bloody awful.

Surely it's trollage. When you see names like DaKondombroke, Snotleigh, Fugleigh, M'Stayke, and the like it's usually satire.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2016, 02:43:50 AM »

[/quote

Surely it's trollage. When you see names like DaKondombroke, Snotleigh, Fugleigh, M'Stayke, and the like it's usually satire.

And yet...

STFU Parents has an annual Yoonique Baby Names post for a reason.

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2016, 10:10:44 AM »
I saw this kind of thing for the first time a few weeks ago. The GoFundMe plea came from a young adult at our church. She was raising funds for a trip to NYC which she "deserved" because she is an aspiring actress and as everyone knows, NYC is a theater mecca. At first, I thought she was trying to go for an audition or something. But no, it was just a trip. But the itemized list of what she would need did include some pricey theater tickets. No, she did not get anything from us, although we did have a good WTF? laugh over it.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2016, 10:43:49 AM »
Hey, I'd like to go to NYC and see some nice theater too. Am middle aged and still not there yet. Have financial obligations to "life".

Let her EARN her way too just like most of the rest of us.

I guess this goes right along with people failing to teach their kids about self-responsibility.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!