Author Topic: Get your direct deposit two days early!!  (Read 13008 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Get your direct deposit two days early!!
« on: October 07, 2012, 07:22:17 PM »
The prepaid Rush Card from Visa http://www.rushcard.com/index3.aspx lets you get your direct deposit two days before pay day.

At first I though it was just funny and sad that you could sell a service to people based on the fact that they really needed their paycheck two days early.  Then there is the sadness of inequality because those of us with checking accounts tend to get direct deposit two days early anyway, so this is specifically for people who can't get a checking account.

But wait, I thought, a lot of banks offer free checking if you have direct deposit.  Then I thought of some people I've known who don't trust bank accounts because government entities can remove money from them or freeze them without your consent (I don't know how likely this actually was for these people or whether the gov't can't also do this to pre-paid cards). 

So I'm looking at this as a way for people who have serious problems they're trying to work out and are afraid of the risk of going into debt.  I guess.  It's nice that they'll save money on check-cashing services.  But then I looked at the fee page:

http://www.rushcard.com/howitworks/scheduleoffees.aspx#

You pay from $4-$15 just for the card, depending on which fancy design you want on it (one of them has a "Baby Phat" design--do you think they're targeting a certain demographic?).  You pay from $6-$10 a month depending which plan you have and how many debit swipe transactions you have.  Basically you have the option of a monthly fee or a per transaction fee.  Which is not ordinary for prepaid cards.  But hey, there's "free" bill pay, so that's nice.

Okay, so it's sort of a mixed bag.  When I saw the ad promising to get you your paycheck two days faster I thought I had a winner for the Antimustachian forum, but now it seems like a company trying to nickle and dime folks because of their ignorance (or their precarious financial situation) which I'm not sure is the same thing.  I don't necessarily want to say that it's fraudulent but one of the main selling points they use is that it's "a better alternative to traditional banking" because a bank can charge you overdraft fees--but I thought new federal regulations meant you had to opt in to overdraft protection now.  So what bugs me about "convenience" products like these is that it takes up time researching them that a person could spend figuring out a less silly option.  I dunno.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Get your direct deposit two days early!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
This is actually mildly interesting for me.

I'l trying to keep a US dollar balance that's accessible via Credit Card to avoid double exchange fees (1.5% to convert USD to NZD, then 1.5% to convert NZD back to USD when I spend my money).

Time to go read some fine print.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 09:02:22 PM »
We can only accept funds issued in U.S. Dollars (no international money orders or checks) and checks or money orders must be equal to or less than $1,000*.

Less than $1000? WTF - we'll that's me out.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:15:52 AM »
Ha, well sorry to provide such a rollercoaster of hope and disappointment.  The thing that prompted the post though is that this is a bad deal even compared to other pre-paid cards!  So you might see if the regular Visa one or the AmEx one has what you want.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!