Author Topic: Frugal intentions... horribly executed  (Read 32151 times)

Just Joe

• Pencil Stache
Re: Frugal intentions... horribly executed
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2017, 08:42:07 AM »
I just put a tiny bit of water in the soap bottle, shake it around to loosen the soap in the bottle and use that as the final shampoo or hand wash for that bottle. No transfer mess b/c I'm not that talented. My kids do the same with chocolate syrup (a rare treat since it is mostly sugar). Final use pour in a little milk over the sink, put the lid back on the chocolate (make sure it is closed) and shake it. Squeeze into a glass and add milk to taste.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »
This is utterly trivial but I still managed to eye-roll myself.

We use liquid handwash in the bathroom and get cheap refills from Aldi. Unfortunately the top of the redesigned refills don't allow you to easily balance it on the top of the soap dispenser to allow all of the dregs to drain into the dispenser.

So I thought I'd be clever and carefully prepped the near-empty refill by lying it on its side for a few days for all the soap to accumulate in a puddle inside the bottle. Then I thought I'd be super clever and tipped it upside down, balancing on the lid. Which meant that pouring it in to the dispenser it went all over the place. Some went in the dispenser, but most of it dripped on the outside and over the freshly-cleaned sink. I then had to spend quite a bit of time wiping up the slippery mess. Ick.

Easy to fix but super annoying, specially since I don't have much energy to spare atm.

Gah.  I do this sort of thing all the time, if it makes you feel any better.  Like the other night I put my half-drunk glass of tea in the fridge for the next day, and in the morning DH opened the fridge door and it fell out on top of him; unfortunately, he was wearing his suit and nice white shirt on his way out the door for an important meeting, so he had to change, wash the shirt, hope the stains came out (they did), and then rush out the door late (and very pissed off).  I've also done things like used a pen to try to squish out the last of the tube of toothpaste and squirted the toothpaste all over the countertop.  And, yeah, poured the remaining bath gel all outside the new container because it wasn't balanced appropriately. 

I think that's called being human.  :-)

Toothpaste Pro-tip:
Just cut the bottom off the tube.

ixtap

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »
I have done this with laundry detergent. The big, cheaper per ounce (sometimes) bottle is too awkward to handle regularly, so I wanted to put it in the smaller bottle. I can't really hold the spigot and the smaller bottle, so I set up the larger bottle to come out the vent...It splurted out, all over the floor and me and goodness knows what else.

Laura33

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2017, 11:55:22 AM »
This is utterly trivial but I still managed to eye-roll myself.

We use liquid handwash in the bathroom and get cheap refills from Aldi. Unfortunately the top of the redesigned refills don't allow you to easily balance it on the top of the soap dispenser to allow all of the dregs to drain into the dispenser.

So I thought I'd be clever and carefully prepped the near-empty refill by lying it on its side for a few days for all the soap to accumulate in a puddle inside the bottle. Then I thought I'd be super clever and tipped it upside down, balancing on the lid. Which meant that pouring it in to the dispenser it went all over the place. Some went in the dispenser, but most of it dripped on the outside and over the freshly-cleaned sink. I then had to spend quite a bit of time wiping up the slippery mess. Ick.

Easy to fix but super annoying, specially since I don't have much energy to spare atm.

Gah.  I do this sort of thing all the time, if it makes you feel any better.  Like the other night I put my half-drunk glass of tea in the fridge for the next day, and in the morning DH opened the fridge door and it fell out on top of him; unfortunately, he was wearing his suit and nice white shirt on his way out the door for an important meeting, so he had to change, wash the shirt, hope the stains came out (they did), and then rush out the door late (and very pissed off).  I've also done things like used a pen to try to squish out the last of the tube of toothpaste and squirted the toothpaste all over the countertop.  And, yeah, poured the remaining bath gel all outside the new container because it wasn't balanced appropriately. 

I think that's called being human.  :-)

Toothpaste Pro-tip:
Just cut the bottom off the tube.

I am now flashing back to the earlier discussion of ER trips involving sliced-off fingers.

Yeah.  I know myself a little too well -- if I can't be trusted to operate a pen correctly, then Laura + metal/thick plastickey tubes + sharp implements is not a good combination. :-)
Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2017, 01:01:51 AM »
I have done this with laundry detergent. The big, cheaper per ounce (sometimes) bottle is too awkward to handle regularly, so I wanted to put it in the smaller bottle. I can't really hold the spigot and the smaller bottle, so I set up the larger bottle to come out the vent...It splurted out, all over the floor and me and goodness knows what else.

The trick is to do this, while holding the smaller bottle over the open laundry machine (I have a top loader).   Any detergent spills become the soap for the next load.  And yes, I unfortunately know exactly what you mean from this description.

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2017, 01:37:49 AM »
Okay, this story wasn't HORRIBLY executed but I was trying so hard to be a bad ass Mustachian I forgot to be a regular person:

The second hand on my bathroom clock was stuck.  It was still "trying" to tick, so I googled Wikihow.  I disassembled the clock.  I took off the hands, even removed and opened the clock movement (and learned what that was).  Nothing I could see.  I googled another YouTube video and the very helpful watch repair woman said that, first of all, try a new battery because that is often the problem EVEN if the second hand is trying to move.

Yup.  Just needed a new battery.  But I was able to put the clock back together and it works!  So I am both embarrassed AND proud.  I usually don't ever try to "DIY" and am trying to grow some MMM stubble here.

I wasn't sure where to post this.  I have far more shameful anti-mustachian moments, but sadly most of those were just me being lazy or hedonistic.  Lots of ignorance too, though.

MY husband is very into English  military history. When a family member was visiting London, I got them to purchase a military-style museum clock I knew he wanted, and bring it back. I gave it to him for Xmas, he loved it. We set it up, and everything works except for the seconds hand. I told him, no worries, I'll take it to a repairer. Nope no no, he was sure he could do it himself (I love my DH, but he is NOT handy. He thinks he is, but he's really not).

So, he takes apart the electrical part, managing to break the backing plate, pulls the clock open, and tiny cogs and springs go everywhere. We try and try (with youtube help) but cant get it back together. I again suggest I'll take it to the shop. No, he says, he will take down our kitchen clock and use those internal mechanisms in this  one.

So, off we go, round two. He manages to disassemble clock 2 with only a bent minute arm, but the internal mechanism doesn't fit with the museum clock. Tries to put kitchen clock back together, will not fit back in and work, drops it, manages to land it in the pile of cogs from clock #1, now the ground is covered in teeny metal parts belonging to one of the two now-useless clocks. At this time, I sneak out.

Eventually, I find him on google, ordering two different sixed internal clock mechanisms on Google.  They arrive, neither fit, DH manages to damage both. At this point, it is Clocks:4, DH:0.  It is now jammed in a box somewhere with our broken kitchen clock and the two google mechanisms.
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

Hula Hoop

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2017, 08:04:12 AM »
11ducks - hilarious.  Your husband sounds just like my husband.  :)

Just Joe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »
Hey that's how I got my DIY start as a little kid. I broke far more than I repaired for several years. Its only taken 40 years to get where I'm at now - which is repairing more than a break by a little bit.

Laura33

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »
@11ducks -- I remember as a pre-teen thinking that it would be fun to take my bike apart to see how everything worked.  And then, with it in pieces in front of me, I thought, "oh, shit."

Luckily, I did manage to get it back together correctly.  :-)
Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

PoutineLover

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »
I did the same thing with my rollerblades. What a surprise when I found a million little metal balls that rolled all over my driveway. The rollerblades were never the same after that :(

ixtap

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »
Y'all just needed older tinkers around. I knew all about how the mechanical stuff went back together from watching the fail. For some reason, they must have played with the chemistry set when I was around, because that and mixing stuff together in the bathroom certainly allowed me to wreak havoc.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2017, 10:22:56 PM »

Gah.  I do this sort of thing all the time, if it makes you feel any better.  Like the other night I put my half-drunk glass of tea in the fridge for the next day, and in the morning DH opened the fridge door and it fell out on top of him; unfortunately, he was wearing his suit and nice white shirt on his way out the door for an important meeting, so he had to change, wash the shirt, hope the stains came out (they did), and then rush out the door late (and very pissed off).

I'm getting anxious just reading that!

talltexan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2017, 07:23:21 AM »
Okay, this story wasn't HORRIBLY executed but I was trying so hard to be a bad ass Mustachian I forgot to be a regular person:

The second hand on my bathroom clock was stuck.  It was still "trying" to tick, so I googled Wikihow.  I disassembled the clock.  I took off the hands, even removed and opened the clock movement (and learned what that was).  Nothing I could see.  I googled another YouTube video and the very helpful watch repair woman said that, first of all, try a new battery because that is often the problem EVEN if the second hand is trying to move.

Yup.  Just needed a new battery.  But I was able to put the clock back together and it works!  So I am both embarrassed AND proud.  I usually don't ever try to "DIY" and am trying to grow some MMM stubble here.

I wasn't sure where to post this.  I have far more shameful anti-mustachian moments, but sadly most of those were just me being lazy or hedonistic.  Lots of ignorance too, though.

MY husband is very into English  military history. When a family member was visiting London, I got them to purchase a military-style museum clock I knew he wanted, and bring it back. I gave it to him for Xmas, he loved it. We set it up, and everything works except for the seconds hand. I told him, no worries, I'll take it to a repairer. Nope no no, he was sure he could do it himself (I love my DH, but he is NOT handy. He thinks he is, but he's really not).

So, he takes apart the electrical part, managing to break the backing plate, pulls the clock open, and tiny cogs and springs go everywhere. We try and try (with youtube help) but cant get it back together. I again suggest I'll take it to the shop. No, he says, he will take down our kitchen clock and use those internal mechanisms in this  one.

So, off we go, round two. He manages to disassemble clock 2 with only a bent minute arm, but the internal mechanism doesn't fit with the museum clock. Tries to put kitchen clock back together, will not fit back in and work, drops it, manages to land it in the pile of cogs from clock #1, now the ground is covered in teeny metal parts belonging to one of the two now-useless clocks. At this time, I sneak out.

Eventually, I find him on google, ordering two different sixed internal clock mechanisms on Google.  They arrive, neither fit, DH manages to damage both. At this point, it is Clocks:4, DH:0.  It is now jammed in a box somewhere with our broken kitchen clock and the two google mechanisms.

Did anyone else read this and recall the part of "Alice in Wonderland" where they're fixing the White Rabbit's watch and putting like butter and jam in it?