Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 321408 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #250 on: October 07, 2015, 11:15:51 AM »
What is it you are being offered Vee? Is it a gift with no strings attached?
Yes, a NSA gift.

Mom is offering to pay for a weekend 'staycation' in a nice hotel downtown so I can have a break from a stressful situation at home and get some rest. Last-minute NYC hotel at one of the most expensive times of year... easily $500-$600 or more. I can't deny that it would feel really good right now, and be extremely convenient, but it seems horribly wasteful.

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: October 07, 2015, 11:25:51 AM »
We are going to spend $4500 to have our apartment heat treated for bedbugs (living in NYC is so wonderful!). The regular treatment is only $900 but involves having the apartment soaked in insecticides on 2-3 separate occasions and we're planning to have a baby soon to that's the last thing we want. I guess this is more of a sob story than a request for a facepunch.

I got begbugs (real bad!) one time and apparently if begbugs don't have a host-body to live on they die in 3 or 4 days on their own.  I think you need to do more research before accepting this expense.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #252 on: October 07, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
What is it you are being offered Vee? Is it a gift with no strings attached?
Yes, a NSA gift.

Mom is offering to pay for a weekend 'staycation' in a nice hotel downtown so I can have a break from a stressful situation at home and get some rest. Last-minute NYC hotel at one of the most expensive times of year... easily $500-$600 or more. I can't deny that it would feel really good right now, and be extremely convenient, but it seems horribly wasteful.

Did you check for deals on Groupon or Livingsocial?  Or try bidding on Priceline?  There's almost always no reason to pay the hotel's full listed price.  Especially since it seems like you don't care in particular which hotel, it just has to be a nice one.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #253 on: October 07, 2015, 12:20:40 PM »
Did you check for deals on Groupon or Livingsocial?  Or try bidding on Priceline?  There's almost always no reason to pay the hotel's full listed price.  Especially since it seems like you don't care in particular which hotel, it just has to be a nice one.
I'm actually an old hand at getting deals on nice hotels in NYC. Before I lived here I used to visit on a regular basis and would spend hours poring over websites, bidding and rebidding, etc. I used to game credit card reward points but haven't done that in a while... my crowning achievement was a free suite (with a killer view of the Empire State Building) on New Year's Eve in midtown Manhattan, list price was $1000+.

Anyway. I decided to take her up on it after hunting down a deal for my #1 favorite, most-incredibly-relaxing hotel in the city for ~$140/night under list price. Still expensive but I feel like it is a good compromise. I think it will make me feel a lot better (plus I'll save over 2 hours of time that would be spent on the subway this weekend) and she seems really happy to be able to help.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #254 on: October 07, 2015, 12:23:05 PM »
We are going to spend $4500 to have our apartment heat treated for bedbugs (living in NYC is so wonderful!). The regular treatment is only $900 but involves having the apartment soaked in insecticides on 2-3 separate occasions and we're planning to have a baby soon to that's the last thing we want. I guess this is more of a sob story than a request for a facepunch.

I got begbugs (real bad!) one time and apparently if begbugs don't have a host-body to live on they die in 3 or 4 days on their own.  I think you need to do more research before accepting this expense.

"Bed bugs can go without feeding for 20 to 400 days, depending on temperature and humidity. Older stages of nymphs can survive longer without feeding than younger ones, and adults have survived without food for more than 400 days in the laboratory at low temperatures."

From http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7454.html

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #255 on: October 07, 2015, 01:28:56 PM »
That was probably for lice.  Fleas and bedbugs (as noted already) can go for a long time on their own. 

obrero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: October 07, 2015, 07:41:41 PM »
I drove to a Wal-Mart less that a mile away to purchase food that lacks nutrition and low-quality alcoholic beverages. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: October 07, 2015, 08:26:28 PM »
I drove to a Wal-Mart less that a mile away to purchase food that lacks nutrition and low-quality alcoholic beverages.

Sounds fun, invite me =P

I mean, facepunches.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #258 on: October 08, 2015, 04:48:43 AM »
1) I donated $50 to a local animal rescue and I don't think it's a registered charity for tax purposes. Very much an emotional donation, but it gave me immense satisfaction.

2) I will get an iPhone 6 in the next few weeks and sign up to a new data plan. I've been realising how important my ye olde iPhone (which is gradually dying) is to my mental health and well being, particularly while going through cancer treatment. I can play games, read forums and blogs that soothe the anxiety or distract me in endless waiting rooms or yukky medical procedures, I can talk to various friends on social media so I feel less isolated and lonely, do online banking anywhere, check the weather (and the all-important UV levels), do quick online research of medical options or people I need to phone, and of course, make phone calls and text people. It's not a financially optimised decision but is optimised for my quality of life over the next couple of years. Online community has been important for me for 20 years (pretty much since I got my first Unix email account at uni).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #259 on: October 08, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »
1) I donated $50 to a local animal rescue and I don't think it's a registered charity for tax purposes. Very much an emotional donation, but it gave me immense satisfaction.

2) I will get an iPhone 6 in the next few weeks and sign up to a new data plan. I've been realising how important my ye olde iPhone (which is gradually dying) is to my mental health and well being, particularly while going through cancer treatment. I can play games, read forums and blogs that soothe the anxiety or distract me in endless waiting rooms or yukky medical procedures, I can talk to various friends on social media so I feel less isolated and lonely, do online banking anywhere, check the weather (and the all-important UV levels), do quick online research of medical options or people I need to phone, and of course, make phone calls and text people. It's not a financially optimised decision but is optimised for my quality of life over the next couple of years. Online community has been important for me for 20 years (pretty much since I got my first Unix email account at uni).

Unsure how your insurance works over there, but when my mom was going through chemo, one of the other patients told me he got a partial re-imbursement for his smart phone because he uses apps and timers for all his meds and to send info to his patient navigator.

Worth looking into =) If your current phone no longer works well, and it's central to medical compliance, maybe you can get a little $!

(Keeping you in my thoughts, btw. Cancer sucks- not much else I can say! Sorry it's part of your life right now).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: October 09, 2015, 02:34:45 AM »
Went out and bought a new 21 cu. ft. deep freeze today when my old one died. We've been limping along with the old one for months now but I should have planned for this better and done my research for prices because today I went to one store and bought the first one I found -- taking delivery Saturday. 

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #261 on: October 09, 2015, 02:45:27 AM »

Unsure how your insurance works over there, but when my mom was going through chemo, one of the other patients told me he got a partial re-imbursement for his smart phone because he uses apps and timers for all his meds and to send info to his patient navigator.

Worth looking into =) If your current phone no longer works well, and it's central to medical compliance, maybe you can get a little $!

(Keeping you in my thoughts, btw. Cancer sucks- not much else I can say! Sorry it's part of your life right now).

Thank you, and thanks for the suggestion. Pretty sure our health insurance doesn't give reimbursements for that. I have another medical condition where people often use their smartphones to track measurements (or even plug a medical device straight into their smartphone) and I'm confident I would have been told if insurance would allow you to claim back on that. Luckily(?) my chemo is just an infusion in hospital every few weeks so I don't actually need to track anything. Interesting to know that some treatments do require that, though. I'm intrigued by the concept of a medical navigator. With my bafflement and confusion of how the system works, that sounds like an awesome resource to have, if it literally means medical navigator (never heard the term before, sorry).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: October 09, 2015, 08:35:53 AM »

Thank you, and thanks for the suggestion. Pretty sure our health insurance doesn't give reimbursements for that. I have another medical condition where people often use their smartphones to track measurements (or even plug a medical device straight into their smartphone) and I'm confident I would have been told if insurance would allow you to claim back on that. Luckily(?) my chemo is just an infusion in hospital every few weeks so I don't actually need to track anything. Interesting to know that some treatments do require that, though. I'm intrigued by the concept of a medical navigator. With my bafflement and confusion of how the system works, that sounds like an awesome resource to have, if it literally means medical navigator (never heard the term before, sorry).

That's essentially what it is. A layperson or nurse (I've met both) who help a patient to juggle different docs, schedules, and the resources available to them. Ex- my mom's navigator helped put her in touch with the service to coordinate rides to chemo when I couldn't drive her. Could I have looked this resource up myself? In theory, yes, and I even knew it existed. But I'm sure you understand- it's to easy to forget things and get overwhelmed when all that is going on. The navigator's job is to help with that. And my mom's navigator is actually serving now as one of the 'witness/opinion people' (not sure the name!) for her disability eligibility.

All the navigators I have met are just wonderful people who really feel called to do that job. Not all practices use them, but I know they're becoming more common, at least in the US. I hope they catch on everywhere!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #263 on: October 09, 2015, 08:34:45 PM »

That's essentially what it is. A layperson or nurse (I've met both) who help a patient to juggle different docs, schedules, and the resources available to them. Ex- my mom's navigator helped put her in touch with the service to coordinate rides to chemo when I couldn't drive her. Could I have looked this resource up myself? In theory, yes, and I even knew it existed. But I'm sure you understand- it's to easy to forget things and get overwhelmed when all that is going on. The navigator's job is to help with that. And my mom's navigator is actually serving now as one of the 'witness/opinion people' (not sure the name!) for her disability eligibility.

All the navigators I have met are just wonderful people who really feel called to do that job. Not all practices use them, but I know they're becoming more common, at least in the US. I hope they catch on everywhere!

Wow, what an awesome concept! I do hope they catch on here.

And for something vaguely on topic, today DH and I walked to the local shops and had spontaneous yum cha, without even thinking about what it might cost. It was extremely tasty food, but yeah. Not thought out at all.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2015, 11:37:51 AM »
I impulse-bought an 8' retractable clothesline at the Container Store. This morning I got all handy and installed it only to discover that I need about 16' to cross the space I was planning to use. (There's nowhere else it really works.) Wah-wah. Anyway, I uninstalled the whole thing while muttering to myself "Measure twice, cut once, dumb-dumb!"

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #265 on: October 14, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »
I reacted emotionally to a repair my car needed. I took it to the dealer (facepunch #1) and was quoted a price for the repair. It was only today, about 24 hours after I got the notice, that it occurred to me to get quotes for the repair from other repair shops. The quotes I got were roughly 1/3 of the dealer quote. Unfortunately, I was too late, as the work on the car had already begun.

Many facepunches deserved on that one. From now on, I'm getting quotes before I approve of any work. Ugh.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #266 on: October 14, 2015, 10:39:38 AM »
I reacted emotionally to a repair my car needed. I took it to the dealer (facepunch #1) and was quoted a price for the repair. It was only today, about 24 hours after I got the notice, that it occurred to me to get quotes for the repair from other repair shops. The quotes I got were roughly 1/3 of the dealer quote. Unfortunately, I was too late, as the work on the car had already begun.

Many facepunches deserved on that one. From now on, I'm getting quotes before I approve of any work. Ugh.
Unless you've already paid for the work, you might consider calling the service manager and telling him/her about the other quotes. Then ask why their work is so much more expensive. You might get the price lowered or a free oil change/car wash or six thrown in. Heck, even if you've paid, I'd call and politely ask why. They now know that you are less likely to return for more service, and might do something to retain your future business. They won't get it, you're not  going to tell them that, right?

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »

Unless you've already paid for the work, you might consider calling the service manager and telling him/her about the other quotes. Then ask why their work is so much more expensive. You might get the price lowered or a free oil change/car wash or six thrown in. Heck, even if you've paid, I'd call and politely ask why. They now know that you are less likely to return for more service, and might do something to retain your future business. They won't get it, you're not  going to tell them that, right?

You bet your sweet bippy! They have gotten a lot of work from me in the past 15 months; I will pull the loyal customer card out along with the quotes and ask if it can be reduced to somewhere near what I was quoted. Regardless, my lesson has been learned and it will be outside repair shops from now on (but not before price comparisons!).

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2015, 12:23:14 PM »
I ate out twice during the 3 day weekend. Once Friday and once Saturday.  I've been cooking and bringing my lunch ever since. Facepunches welcome...I was visiting my daughter to get photos of my grandchildren plus to give her already purchased small gifts for the grands such as books, the signs from the fair too plus some dolls for my granddaughter.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #269 on: October 14, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »
Just ordered pizza, even though the house is full of food - justifications include that I won't be home the next two nights and DH is lousy at feeding himself, and this will give us leftovers, and it was a good sale, and and and it's still $20 at Pizza Hut...

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #270 on: October 15, 2015, 07:51:13 AM »
Ahhhh Pizza Hut! That buttery salty crust of theirs I hope hasn't changed.  I usually scratch my pizza itch at Costco. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: October 18, 2015, 06:59:15 PM »
Ate out on Friday night. We had purchased tickets for a show and it was a charity event for a good cause.

We went there straight from work knowing we would need dinner.

The venue that had provided free space for the show has a restaurant, and organisers encouraged guests to eat at the restaurant to support the venue.

My meal was inedible. I am capable of powering through some pretty average meals but this was awful. I detest paying for food when I can cook better at home. My husband wouldn't let me return it but insisted on ordering me something else to eat when I probably would have been satisfied sharing his meal. So facepunch me for paying for three meals when one would have been enough.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #272 on: October 18, 2015, 07:53:28 PM »
I just calculated... and we spend about $500 a year on coffee beans to make coffee at home.

Worse: I am unrepentant. At least it's better than when I was getting lattes at starbucks.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #273 on: October 18, 2015, 07:55:01 PM »
Worse: I am unrepentant.

Tut tut, must show repentance during confession. No Hail Marys for you! :D

[Edited to add emoticon so Bracken_Joy knows I commented with tongue firmly in cheek. :) ]

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #274 on: October 19, 2015, 06:26:48 AM »
I just calculated... and we spend about $500 a year on coffee beans to make coffee at home.

Worse: I am unrepentant. At least it's better than when I was getting lattes at starbucks.
I, too, am unrepentant.  But I only spend about $200 a year on coffee beans.  We have a local woman who buys the beans and roasts them herself.  Only runs $9 for a pound that lasts about a month.  Yeah, I know this works out to less, but sometimes I like the $17 beans... :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #275 on: October 19, 2015, 09:51:01 AM »

I, too, am unrepentant.  But I only spend about $200 a year on coffee beans.  We have a local woman who buys the beans and roasts them herself.  Only runs $9 for a pound that lasts about a month.  Yeah, I know this works out to less, but sometimes I like the $17 beans... :)

We buy a 5lb bag from a local roaster every 6 weeks. We've frugalized as possible- 10% off loyalty discount, pick up so we don't pay shipping, use their wholesaler portal (with their blessing) to buy the beans cheaper.... It's just expensive to drink this much premium coffee.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: October 19, 2015, 10:00:55 AM »
Feeling a little bad about driving my 50 cent per mile car to church instead of taking the 25 cent per mile motorcycle...  I have a rule of no riding below freezing over bridges.  It was 27F out when I got up, so I decided to drive.  It was up to 38F by the time I actually left (a couple hours later).

Also, caving and hiring a handyman to help me with some damaged wood siding and my shed doors that are rotted out.  I'm horrible at woodworking, hoping to learn from him.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2015, 02:01:12 PM »
Gah! I was all stoked about finally getting to 75% SR, and then I went (sorta) off the rails. Both of our moms came to visit at the same time. I must have blown at least $200 on meals out, dinner tickets, and last-minute supplies for guest rooms.

This, in and of itself, isn't terrible - they'd never met before, I wanted to make memories, and our town is full of unique tourist attractions, etc.

But I feel like I've somehow undone my steady accumulation of MMM habits, and my spendypants gene got triggered. I've kept the b-day stuff for my wife to a reasonable level - $100 or so, and this is overcompensating for the fact that I botched it last year. But damn, I almost bought a new watch. I almost bought a bunch of other things I really have no need for. I almost feel like I should lock up my credit card for a while and give myself another cash allowance re-education period.

Argh. WTF.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2015, 02:57:46 PM »
Bought a ticket to the World Series. It was $1150 overall.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2015, 03:11:20 PM »
I'm considering buying a +40$ salt mill, just because I really want a salt mill, to put the fancy grey french salt my MIL brought us last time she was here.
I'll probably end up buying in a flea market, but just the fact I'm considering buying it it's facepunch worthy...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2015, 04:07:48 PM »
You can get a perfectly fine salt mill for $2 at Trader Joes or Aldi. It comes with salt in it but is reusable. If you like coarse salt (I do) you can get a tiny dish and spoon made for salt at a flea market.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »
I ate out twice yesterday!  And I am also unrepentant.  Lunch was a great catch-up with a former colleague I haven't seen in a long time, and then I took my daughter out to dinner.

I did learn that the place we ate lunch is not nearly as good as another restaurant of the same cuisine. 

(Ottawa MMMers, Burrito Gringo wins again, and 168 Sushi Buffet is nicer than Red Lobster).

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »
I ate out twice yesterday!  And I am also unrepentant.

Shocking, truly shocking.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #283 on: October 23, 2015, 07:16:38 AM »
I'm considering buying a +40$ salt mill, just because I really want a salt mill, to put the fancy grey french salt my MIL brought us last time she was here.
I'll probably end up buying in a flea market, but just the fact I'm considering buying it it's facepunch worthy...
Maybe I'm just weird, but I don't think that's a big deal, IF it will last a long time and truly enhance your enjoyment of your own kitchen.

Three years ago, at Christmas, all I asked of my family - mom and two grown sisters with families - was this utterly ridiculous pepper mill. 16 inches of stainless steel, could legitimately be used to fracture a skull, way beyond anyone's needs. And it will probably last till I die, which means the cost divides out to barely a dollar a year. It still makes me happy every time I use it. It's all about rationing your indulgences, if you ask me.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #284 on: October 23, 2015, 08:06:46 AM »
Maybe I'm just weird, but I don't think that's a big deal, IF it will last a long time and truly enhance your enjoyment of your own kitchen.

Three years ago, at Christmas, all I asked of my family - mom and two grown sisters with families - was this utterly ridiculous pepper mill. 16 inches of stainless steel, could legitimately be used to fracture a skull, way beyond anyone's needs. And it will probably last till I die, which means the cost divides out to barely a dollar a year. It still makes me happy every time I use it. It's all about rationing your indulgences, if you ask me.

That's the thing, I really like it, it's much prettier and it will likely last much longer that a cheap one (I had them and I'd rather not again), altho I don't think I can fracture a skull with it, except maybe a baby's skull, or a small animal.
So I'm gonna check out a big flea market this w-e (I already toured all thrift stores in my area), and if I don't find one, I'll shed a couple of hours of pay to buy something I like.

Here, if you're curious:
http://www.stokesstores.com/en/kitchen-food-prep/salt-pepper/c-m-keswick-p-m-7.html
There are better ones, but I like the transparent part so I see the level, and the wood because I like wooden stuff.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: October 23, 2015, 09:13:27 AM »
Gah! I was all stoked about finally getting to 75% SR, and then I went (sorta) off the rails. Both of our moms came to visit at the same time. I must have blown at least $200 on meals out, dinner tickets, and last-minute supplies for guest rooms.

This, in and of itself, isn't terrible - they'd never met before, I wanted to make memories, and our town is full of unique tourist attractions, etc.

But I feel like I've somehow undone my steady accumulation of MMM habits, and my spendypants gene got triggered. I've kept the b-day stuff for my wife to a reasonable level - $100 or so, and this is overcompensating for the fact that I botched it last year. But damn, I almost bought a new watch. I almost bought a bunch of other things I really have no need for. I almost feel like I should lock up my credit card for a while and give myself another cash allowance re-education period.

Argh. WTF.

Man, I've seen enough of your posts to know your savings are probably in general in the right direction. I don't care if you ended up saving $0.00 for the month, $200 to have some really good experiences with the most important women in each of your lives is worth than money alone.

I love my mom, $200 ain't shit man. Don't feel bad. No face punch from me.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »
I just ordered 2 Fisher Price houses for my grandchildren off Ebay for $67 for Christmas.  Please facepunch me one is gently used one new in box but the Little People I scored on clearance several months ago at Shoppers Food needed a home. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #287 on: October 28, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
Man, I've seen enough of your posts to know your savings are probably in general in the right direction. I don't care if you ended up saving $0.00 for the month, $200 to have some really good experiences with the most important women in each of your lives is worth than money alone.

Hehe.. yeah, it really wasn't the spending that bothered me so much as the feeling that I'd mentally undone some real progress. It took a long time to adjust my attitude and now I'm struggling to climb the same hill.

I'm one of those people that this stuff doesn't come naturally to. I'll be OK though. I still put $5K into the market this month and paid off $1K+ in debt... lmao

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #288 on: October 28, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »
I just ordered 2 Fisher Price houses for my grandchildren off Ebay for $67 for Christmas.  Please facepunch me one is gently used one new in box but the Little People I scored on clearance several months ago at Shoppers Food needed a home.

Well, if you would have had to leave FP Little People homeless over Christmas....

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #289 on: October 28, 2015, 01:58:12 PM »

Hehe.. yeah, it really wasn't the spending that bothered me so much as the feeling that I'd mentally undone some real progress. It took a long time to adjust my attitude and now I'm struggling to climb the same hill.

I'm one of those people that this stuff doesn't come naturally to. I'll be OK though. I still put $5K into the market this month and paid off $1K+ in debt... lmao

Zephyr's circling a very important point that I don't think has been explicitly stated in this thread:

Badassity cures spendypants syndrome!

You think Mr. and Mrs. MMM tell their mothers-in-law "Sorry, no-can-do, no birthday party for you-who-carried-me-for-9-months"

Oh hell no.

What they do is:
1) Prep ahead of time - knowing Pete, he plans next year's birthday celebration WHILE HE'S AT the current one. Then find frugal ways to make things happen.
2) Increase Badassity. Car making a squealing whine? Replace that idler pulley yourself. Bike got a flat? Fix it yourself. Out of peanut butter? Get it from Aldi. Buy crucial goods on super-sale and stock up.

Zephyr hinted at this himself. While he "stumbled" in one way, he then jacked up the Badassity in another way. I do this all the time. I had TWO birthdays I had to pay for in October. I went ahead, bit the bullet and it cost me $300. Wife was extremely happy. Son was extremely happy. Joy Joy Joy.

Outside I was smiling. Inside, I was gritting my teeth and vowing revenge on my transgression. I was able to secure MANY TIMES RETURN by:

1) Getting DW (birthday girl) to up her 401k withdrawals while she was in her receptive state of mind after the party. :-)
2) Side gig will get me the basic $300 back by year's-end.
3) More Goodwill donations for the tax break.

With apologies to Dune:

"I will not spend.
Spend is the stash-killer.
Spend is the little-death that obliterates FIRE.
I will face my spend.
I will permit spend to pass over my budget and through my budget.
And when it has gone past I will turn the holy spreadsheet to list its path.
Where the spend has gone there will be badassity. My budget will remain."

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #290 on: October 30, 2015, 02:36:35 PM »
I got a speeding ticket. $168! I was lost and trying to figure out where I was and not watching the speed limit.

In retrospect, Boulder's Baseline Road is a super-obvious speed trap.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: October 30, 2015, 06:06:15 PM »
With apologies to Dune:

"I will not spend.
I will face my spend.

This is the best.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #292 on: October 31, 2015, 07:01:06 AM »
With apologies to Dune:

"I will not spend.
I will face my spend.

This is the best.

I agree, and I'm stealing it for a motto. :D

I spent $10 on candy for the kids yesterday because I grabbed the wrong bag and couldn't bring myself to take it back when I was at the register. :/

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #293 on: November 02, 2015, 01:05:46 AM »

anyone who face punches over this, deserves one right back but lower, lol.  I am sorry you are ill, and I hope better days are around the bend.

I got my first "email" account in '88 at college, I don't think it was even called that and it was only good for messages within the University system. I was amazed. I feel like a woman so old she remembers life before cars and washing machines, lol. 

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #294 on: November 02, 2015, 01:09:38 AM »

[/quote]

anyone who face punches over this, deserves one right back but lower, lol.  I am sorry you are ill, and I hope better days are around the bend.

I got my first "email" account in '88 at college, I don't think it was even called that and it was only good for messages within the University system. I was amazed. I feel like a woman so old she remembers life before cars and washing machines, lol. 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #295 on: November 04, 2015, 11:15:33 AM »
I was paying a medical bill online and saw that if I paid within 10 days (I was) then I could take a 15% discount.  I typed in the full amount, doh!  Spent an extra $1.50 about.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #296 on: November 05, 2015, 07:32:25 PM »
Thinking about spending $800 on a spare bed this weekend.

Our current spare bed is a second-hand frame that we picked up on eBay more than six years ago, with a new mattress.

It's now structurally weak (the head and foot have bowed) and the three mesh panels that hold up the mattress keep falling through the frame. Followed by the mattress. And whatever happens to be on the mattress.

We have a small apartment and we keep things stored beneath the spare bed, so I'm looking at buying a gas-lift bed to make storage easier. But they're fairly new and you can't find them second-hand on eBay. (I could buy a new gas-lift bed on eBay for $200 but I would rather go with a reputable supplier when this mechanism is involved.)

My other justification is that we buy a good bed that we both love it gives us options if/when it's ever time to replace our bed.

Punch away...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: November 05, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #298 on: November 06, 2015, 07:18:35 AM »
I am ready for the ultimate facepunch.  I have been getting a venti 2-pump toffee nut mocha from starbucks everyday for a year.  I finally ordered an electric tea kettle, travel mug and tea from Amazon for less than 1 week of Starbucks.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #299 on: November 06, 2015, 07:56:05 AM »
I am ready for the ultimate facepunch.  I have been getting a venti 2-pump toffee nut mocha from starbucks everyday for a year.  I finally ordered an electric tea kettle, travel mug and tea from Amazon for less than 1 week of Starbucks.

Dude. Every day. For a year. I admire your bravery for putting that out there in this forum ;) congrats on making the change... that's a LOT of savings just about to roll in for you right there.