Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 321340 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2015, 12:13:42 PM »
Double punch for feeding your kid fast food (wink).

Double punch received -- bad mom of the day award! hahah! But my heart was in the right place, I think :-/

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2015, 12:25:19 PM »
The irony was the one thing I got free at the fair was the nastiest thing I had eaten in a while.  How are boiled peanuts supposed to taste and do they have a waiting period?  They tasted like a combo of boiled liver and bitterness to me.

Ontopic response: I used my Chipotle coupon for lunch yesterday bringing my $10.50 bill down to $2.50.  I got the coupon by visiting Shophouse earlier on a cemetery run.

1.  Boiled peanuts kinda taste like salty boiled potatoes, but denser.

2.  +1 to shophouse, my current favorite place to eat

3.  WTF is a cemetery run??? I make grocery runs and post office runs...need explanation!

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2015, 01:07:48 PM »
Just bought and moved into a new house. We replaced the electric range on our old house less than a year ago. Guess what? Our new house has the exact range we just replaced in our old house. So, did we swap the ranges like we did for the washer/dryer? Nope. Went out and bought another new range for the old house, to the tune of 3x what we paid for the new range in the old house. That being said, I love cooking, and the new range had double ovens, which will come in handy for Thanksgiving that we host yearly.

Accepting any and all facepunches.

3 x the cost of the other new range? 2 ovens for one big entertainment event a year? Buying a new house must have opened up the spending doors in your head. Time to close those doors -- quickly.

Agreed. I've been exercising my MMM muscles lately, but the house seems to have given me amnesia. Although I did tell DH that now that most of our windows have some sort of covering (none, and I mean NONE of the 18 windows on our house had any kind of window covering), we can hold off on purchasing ridiculously expensive blinds. The cheapo $10 paper blinds are going to have to serve us for awhile.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2015, 01:17:48 PM »
My mom has been meaning to visit the gravesites of loved ones but owing to wrapping up my grandmother's affairs plus her own life she has been unable to do so.  I decided to trek to each cemetery in her place.   I have tracked certain relatives to their resting places via Findagrave the Washington Post and Ancestry.  I can reach some of the cemeteries via Metro and put some flowers on their graves and take a picture with my phone to document I was there.  I am purchasing artificial flowers just in case I can't get to a site right away.   

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2015, 01:29:30 PM »
I'm on a special assignment for work and get a flat rate per diem to spend on food / incidentals. I'm always careful about food spending during travel so I can bank as much of the per diem as possible. (Plus why should I spend more on food than normal just because I'm traveling?) Took a break yesterday with a coworker who wanted to go to Starbucks. I went just to get out of the office and ended up spending $7.02 on a frufru coffee and chocolate covered almonds...totally not needed.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2015, 01:34:41 PM »
My mom has been meaning to visit the gravesites of loved ones but owing to wrapping up my grandmother's affairs plus her own life she has been unable to do so.  I decided to trek to each cemetery in her place.   I have tracked certain relatives to their resting places via Findagrave the Washington Post and Ancestry.  I can reach some of the cemeteries via Metro and put some flowers on their graves and take a picture with my phone to document I was there.  I am purchasing artificial flowers just in case I can't get to a site right away.

Wow!  How lovely of you to do that for your mother!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2015, 02:42:21 PM »
Just bought and moved into a new house. We replaced the electric range on our old house less than a year ago. Guess what? Our new house has the exact range we just replaced in our old house. So, did we swap the ranges like we did for the washer/dryer? Nope. Went out and bought another new range for the old house, to the tune of 3x what we paid for the new range in the old house. That being said, I love cooking, and the new range had double ovens, which will come in handy for Thanksgiving that we host yearly.

3 x the cost of the other new range? 2 ovens for one big entertainment event a year? Buying a new house must have opened up the spending doors in your head. Time to close those doors -- quickly.

Agreed. I've been exercising my MMM muscles lately, but the house seems to have given me amnesia. Although I did tell DH that now that most of our windows have some sort of covering (none, and I mean NONE of the 18 windows on our house had any kind of window covering), we can hold off on purchasing ridiculously expensive blinds. The cheapo $10 paper blinds are going to have to serve us for awhile.

That's some restraint. Just keep taking deep breaths! ;)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2015, 09:42:07 PM »
I decided to go all-out over-the-top for my dad's birthday this year, and make some uber-fancy chocolate truffles. Best of the best. Valrhona Manjari (which costs 80% more here in NYC than the last time I bought it in Massachusetts, holy crap!), Hennessy cognac, fancy organic cream, my homemade vanilla extract. Total cost of ingredients was close to $40 for about a pound of truffles, the same as the really fancy Belgian ones in a shop... crazy, right? But my dad is turning 70 and it's a big deal, so full speed ahead.

So I was making them tonight and the fucking ganache separated. I'm trying to save it but... I might have just wasted all that money and all that effort (I went to three different stores just to source the right chocolate!) and I could just about cry and punch myself in the face at the same time :-(

ETA: I just realized I'm taking this way harder than losing $10k+ in the stock market in the past 10 days. LOL?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2015, 07:38:38 AM »
I decided to go all-out over-the-top for my dad's birthday this year, and make some uber-fancy chocolate truffles. Best of the best. Valrhona Manjari (which costs 80% more here in NYC than the last time I bought it in Massachusetts, holy crap!), Hennessy cognac, fancy organic cream, my homemade vanilla extract. Total cost of ingredients was close to $40 for about a pound of truffles, the same as the really fancy Belgian ones in a shop... crazy, right? But my dad is turning 70 and it's a big deal, so full speed ahead.

So I was making them tonight and the fucking ganache separated. I'm trying to save it but... I might have just wasted all that money and all that effort (I went to three different stores just to source the right chocolate!) and I could just about cry and punch myself in the face at the same time :-(

ETA: I just realized I'm taking this way harder than losing $10k+ in the stock market in the past 10 days. LOL?

I think this falls under my category of 'major bummer' rather than facepunch. :pats your shoulder:

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2015, 07:47:06 AM »
Yesterday I bought a lip balm I've wanted for a while, even if I knew I already had a couple brand new lip balms at home. When I went to put it in the fridge, I realized I had 8 of them, 5 of which still unopened... but hey, none of them had pomegranate oil!

Bumbling Bee

• Stubble
    • Journey of a Thousand Face Punches
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:50 AM »
I spent $30 on balloons. 

yup.

I budget $800 a month.  I spent $30 on balloons.

I've been mentoring this girl for a while.  She's 19.  At community college.  Sweet and bright and so full of potential.  Her family and life is a complete cluster fuck.  Then she got pregnant.  The baby daddy isn't great... but he's ok.  They got married.  On a weekday.  She'd planned to have the wedding at the park, but it was storming, so switched to the community center.  I went early to help decorate.  She had made and gathered charming decor.  Jelly jars with candles and paper mache thingies for center pieces.  Eight months pregnant. She made all of the food.  Baked her own cake.  She had planned to use the landscape at the park for the focal point of the ceremony, but it was stuck inside a dingy community center.  So I went to the grocery and bought $30 flipping dollars worth of balloons.  Scrounged some props from around the center and made "something pretty" for them to stand next to.  Then I spent another $30 on meat and cheese that I cubed up and added to her potluck style feast.

Were it not for the awfulness of her family and situation the wedding was completely badass and perfectly beautiful in it's simplicity.

$30 futile dollars.  Disposable helium balloons that will exist forever in a landfill.

I keep telling myself that if she maintains the tenacity and motivation she showed in making her entire wedding (and we continue to support her) then she has a chance of breaking her families cycle of poverty and addiction. 

On the bright side I did make the baby gift and wedding gift and cards completely out of things I had and they are things that are fun and pretty and  will actually be useful to her.

I don't regret spending the money on her.  I offered.  She didn't ask.  It just sounds so ridiculous. $30 spent on balloons.  hah!

I guess I should be face-punched (again) too, because this is just lovely and kind in my book.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2015, 08:25:23 AM »
I spent $30 on balloons. 

yup.

I budget $800 a month.  I spent $30 on balloons.

I've been mentoring this girl for a while.  She's 19.  At community college.  Sweet and bright and so full of potential.  Her family and life is a complete cluster fuck.  Then she got pregnant.  The baby daddy isn't great... but he's ok.  They got married.  On a weekday.  She'd planned to have the wedding at the park, but it was storming, so switched to the community center.  I went early to help decorate.  She had made and gathered charming decor.  Jelly jars with candles and paper mache thingies for center pieces.  Eight months pregnant. She made all of the food.  Baked her own cake.  She had planned to use the landscape at the park for the focal point of the ceremony, but it was stuck inside a dingy community center.  So I went to the grocery and bought $30 flipping dollars worth of balloons.  Scrounged some props from around the center and made "something pretty" for them to stand next to.  Then I spent another $30 on meat and cheese that I cubed up and added to her potluck style feast.

Were it not for the awfulness of her family and situation the wedding was completely badass and perfectly beautiful in it's simplicity.

$30 futile dollars.  Disposable helium balloons that will exist forever in a landfill.

I keep telling myself that if she maintains the tenacity and motivation she showed in making her entire wedding (and we continue to support her) then she has a chance of breaking her families cycle of poverty and addiction. 

On the bright side I did make the baby gift and wedding gift and cards completely out of things I had and they are things that are fun and pretty and  will actually be useful to her.

I don't regret spending the money on her.  I offered.  She didn't ask.  It just sounds so ridiculous. $30 spent on balloons.  hah!

I guess I should be face-punched (again) too, because this is just lovely and kind in my book.

Indeed, of all ways you could have wasted those 30$, this seems one of the kindest :)

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2015, 08:35:37 AM »

Or start doing a lot more baking. I have gotten into the habit of doing 2 or 3 things each time I bake. If I had more time/bigger kids (both to help mix them, and to help eat them), I could use 2 ovens if I had them.

Bumbling Bee

• Stubble
    • Journey of a Thousand Face Punches
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »
I accept my FacePunch but I think it should be more of a slight slap because I did not Face Punch the bitch who told me I don't deserve my dog!

Please tell me that you slapped her across the face with your glove and challenged her to a duel at dawn.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2015, 10:59:52 AM »
Thought there would be free food at work today (it's the last day of Orientation at the school I work at), so I didn't pack a lunch. There was not.

Silver lining - I've been here long enough to figure out the cheapest possible lunch options from the cafeteria (today's: grilled cheese sandwich, ask them nicely to add grilled mushrooms and onions to it, fries on the side, all for $3. About $3 less than any of the burger/sandwich choices).

Andrew928

• Stubble
  • Life Is Good
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2015, 06:00:10 PM »
Spent  $500 last night.

Girlfriend surprised me at my place all dressed up when I got home from work and said that she made reservations at 3 places and I was already suited up from work so we went to the spectrum in Irvine, Dinner was $120 with tip. Since we were being spontaneous last night I said hey lets go to Laguna and get a hotel on the water...$350. And then from there we hit a couple bars and spent about $100 on drinks.

Not Mustachian but no regrets at all, had a great time with her.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2015, 06:17:54 PM »
This is my work fail.  I travel a lot for work. Think steel toe and holiday inn express in a small city way outside of major centres.  Usually.

Client changed meeting location to 7 am downtown sanfrancisco with one day notice.  Cancelled hotel in Antioch.

I end up at $310 per night hotel downtownx 2 nights. The bill is over $800 cents for two nights.

Cancled car, took Bart to airport. Ate dinner in ( salad from Starbucks).. The room was THAT nice I did not want to leave.

So, arriving at airport, I discovered I made the return flight for wrong day, so missed it. Yikes. New last minute seat...$800. (1000 cdn)

Oops!

At least it is not my money.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2015, 07:10:34 PM »
This is my work fail.  I travel a lot for work. Think steel toe and holiday inn express in a small city way outside of major centres.  Usually.

Client changed meeting location to 7 am downtown sanfrancisco with one day notice.  Cancelled hotel in Antioch.

I end up at $310 per night hotel downtownx 2 nights. The bill is over $800 cents for two nights.

Cancled car, took Bart to airport. Ate dinner in ( salad from Starbucks).. The room was THAT nice I did not want to leave.

So, arriving at airport, I discovered I made the return flight for wrong day, so missed it. Yikes. New last minute seat...$800. (1000 cdn)

Oops!

At least it is not my money.

Heh. See my post above for similar recent self-punch. Unfortunately, it was our money.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2015, 08:05:52 PM »
Spent  $500 last night.

Girlfriend surprised me at my place all dressed up when I got home from work and said that she made reservations at 3 places and I was already suited up from work so we went to the spectrum in Irvine, Dinner was $120 with tip. Since we were being spontaneous last night I said hey lets go to Laguna and get a hotel on the water...$350. And then from there we hit a couple bars and spent about $100 on drinks.

....you spent $500 in one night on a DATE and you have no regrets?

Want a catheter with your bedpan? ;)

Andrew928

• Stubble
  • Life Is Good
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »

Hahahaha yeahhhhh, I'm pretty in love with this woman and it got the best of me financially last night.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2015, 01:10:29 AM »
Not to mention hanging in Laguna is gorgeous. Listening to the waves at night. Ya, i can see how that happened. :-)

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2015, 09:42:40 AM »
Not to mention hanging in Laguna is gorgeous. Listening to the waves at night. Ya, i can see how that happened. :-)

Exactly my reaction! (We're no help at all.)

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2015, 10:45:44 PM »
think I'm going to grow out my hair a bit (space haircuts significantly more apart), try the hairdressing school, and maybe pop in to my gal only once or twice per year. Then as it grows longer experiment with home trims, or at least just the bangs. We'll see...

sounds like a good plan.  I am doing the growing out thing because I could not stand certain people constantly telling me my hair is too short.  This is the furthest I've gone since 1994- it just about hits my cheeks. Good luck!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2015, 11:21:06 PM »

I think this falls under my category of 'major bummer' rather than facepunch. :pats your shoulder:

Thanks for that! I ended up saving the truffles with a lot of work and an altered recipe. Tried three or four methods and finally whipping it with a little milk and then chilling it quickly got it smooth again. So they're whipped truffles, which is a little odd, and they were too soft and way too much cocoa powder stuck to them, so I chilled them really hard and shook them in a sieve to get most of it off. And after that they were pretty good and everyone seemed to like them! *whew*

Andrew928

• Stubble
  • Life Is Good
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2015, 12:05:29 AM »
You guys haven't faced punched me very hard :P

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2015, 12:08:03 AM »

Thanks for that! I ended up saving the truffles with a lot of work and an altered recipe. Tried three or four methods and finally whipping it with a little milk and then chilling it quickly got it smooth again. So they're whipped truffles, which is a little odd, and they were too soft and way too much cocoa powder stuck to them, so I chilled them really hard and shook them in a sieve to get most of it off. And after that they were pretty good and everyone seemed to like them! *whew*

I'm glad you managed to save them! 

I love cooking and baking, but man, it can be frustrating!  The first time I tried canning I ended up calling my mom in tears because the pressure cooker wouldn't get up to pressure.  It cracks me up now, but at the time it felt like my world was crumbling.  :)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2015, 12:34:45 AM »
Not a financial facepunch - a failure of badassity.

Came home Friday and DW was mowing the lawn, because I didn't get to it when I said I would. Time for seppuku.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2015, 01:00:52 AM »
I love cooking and baking, but man, it can be frustrating!
Yeah, for real! The day(s) I was making the truffles I was having one of those clumsy days where it seems like everything I touch ends up tipping over, spilling, falling into something else, etc. (I have a nerve problem in my hands so it isn't a joke about bad clumsiness days - some days are worse than others.) This is a bad combination when making something inherently fiddly and messy and delicate like chocolates. I had to take multiple breaks to let myself calm down from the frustration of everything or else I would have ended up throwing the ganache across the room.

On topic: took a taxi today. I could just picture myself dropping everything down the subway stairs or falling over my suitcase or something on the way to the train station. Couldn't deal.

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »
I had to move at short notice three weeks ago.  I did not turn off the gas hot water unit, or call to disconnect my accout with the gas supplier.
So I just got a bill for usage up to 26th August. Turns out that hot water system costs an average of $1.32  per day just to sit there.
If I can provide proof that I moved when I did, the gas company will remove those extra weeks of charges, but problem is, I moved out of one place that I only ever had a verbal agreement for, into a share house with only a verbal agreement.
But my rent dropped by $40 a week and now includes utilities again so its not entirely bad?

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »

Hahahaha yeahhhhh, I'm pretty in love with this woman and it got the best of me financially last night.

a one time thing like that wouldn't prompt a face punch from me if you are in good financial standing.  If not, and it's on a credit card bill next cycle and you can't pay it, then yeah, I'd vote for face punch, 2 of them if you have other debts. 

And I'd look for a vibe that she expects dates like this.  If she can't enjoy a picnic in the park, nice wine, a meal you made, so it's an inexpensive date that can be very romantic, if she cannot stand these dates, you've got a problem.

Andrew928

• Stubble
  • Life Is Good
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2015, 10:59:56 PM »
Just got paid and credit card balance is $0 ;)

She is pretty awesome and would be just as happy if I took her to a taco truck in Santa Ana

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2015, 11:03:34 PM »

She is pretty awesome and would be just as happy if I took her to a taco truck in Santa Ana

then go for it, she passes!

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2015, 07:54:14 AM »
Took my sons to a baseball game on Saturday night -- the tickets were free, I found a free parking spot, and our total bill for concessions was $3 (I had a $5 off coupon). Then I spent $70 in the gift shop on ball caps for everyone and a couple of foam fingers. An uncharacteristic splurge.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2015, 08:01:30 AM »

If I can provide proof that I moved when I did, the gas company will remove those extra weeks of charges, but problem is, I moved out of one place that I only ever had a verbal agreement for, into a share house with only a verbal agreement.

I would think that you could get your previous landlord/friend/whoever to write up a version of your verbal agreement and that might be good enough. "I certify that I rented to X for X period of time and they moved out on day Y."

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2015, 08:22:42 AM »
Buying a new house must have opened up the spending doors in your head. Time to close those doors -- quickly.
Agreed. I've been exercising my MMM muscles lately, but the house seems to have given me amnesia.
It's just the normal nesting instinct. Pace yourself and all shall be well. The less you fall victim to the imaginary urgency of your new place, the more you'll find free/cheap alternatives to what presently appear to be a host of large and unavoidable purchases.
I had a lot of that going on when I moved last fall... DW helped me slow my roll and not blow thousands to get from "almost" to "perfect".

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: August 31, 2015, 08:28:59 AM »

In that case, I can't facepunch too bad. DH and I went on a couple stupidly expensive dates when we were first together (not $500 expensive, but Oregon expensive, haha). As long as you both know that it's part of the "whirlwind romance" stage and not an expectation for the future, it's probably fine.

A good partner on the same page is the best asset to financial success, IMO. You're investing in this lasting happiness and building a life. That's what money is for!

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #186 on: August 31, 2015, 08:48:41 AM »
It's just the normal nesting instinct. Pace yourself and all shall be well. The less you fall victim to the imaginary urgency of your new place, the more you'll find free/cheap alternatives to what presently appear to be a host of large and unavoidable purchases.
I had a lot of that going on when I moved last fall... DW helped me slow my roll and not blow thousands to get from "almost" to "perfect".

Good thinking. Fortunately, the entire house is livable. The stove was definitely a consumer sucka purchase. The necessary purchase was for something to cover the windows. Especially in the bathrooms and bedrooms, lest we give our new neighbors a daily strip show.

Although, it's amazing how many of our friends are all "ooh, you should remodel your kitchen! it will be gorgeous with some solid surface counter tops and, and, etc." I simply respond with, "Nope. It works. I'd rather retire sooner." :-)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #187 on: August 31, 2015, 09:34:13 AM »
In that case, I can't facepunch too bad. DH and I went on a couple stupidly expensive dates when we were first together (not $500 expensive, but Oregon expensive, haha). As long as you both know that it's part of the "whirlwind romance" stage and not an expectation for the future, it's probably fine.

A good partner on the same page is the best asset to financial success, IMO. You're investing in this lasting happiness and building a life. That's what money is for!
My first date with DW was an opulent lunch... at a restaurant managed by my cousin! He comped us at least a $50 lunch, so we threw down some outrageous tip and called it good.

We did both fly long distances to have that date, but when you live on different continents you can only be so Mustachian about things... thank yegads I managed to import that one.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: August 31, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »
FacePunches willingly accepted! I just realized I've been using Mint wrong, and so I haven't been seeing the correct totals for our spending. We're spending like $800 more than I thought.

What gets measured gets managed- unless you have no ability to do mental math and don't notice for EIGHT MONTHS that you're tracking your finances incompletely.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #189 on: August 31, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »
FacePunches willingly accepted! I just realized I've been using Mint wrong, and so I haven't been seeing the correct totals for our spending. We're spending like $800 more than I thought.
Yikes! I remember something similar when I was first using it. Something about if you didn't make an "everything else" category, everything that didn't fit into your existing categories got ignored. It's a really disappointing moment when you realize that, isn't it?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #190 on: August 31, 2015, 11:29:05 AM »
Yikes! I remember something similar when I was first using it. Something about if you didn't make an "everything else" category, everything that didn't fit into your existing categories got ignored. It's a really disappointing moment when you realize that, isn't it?

Yes exactly!!!!! At least I'm not the only one who has made that mistake, but gosh dang! Frustrating. It feels like just when I'm making progress, it turns out there is something I missed.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: September 01, 2015, 08:41:34 AM »
Spent  $500 last night.

I spent $500 on a week on the California coast. 

(Understand varying circumstances for both of us.)

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2015, 09:19:40 PM »
Same book on amazon costs $15.

My budget for September is super extra tight after a spendy August so not in a happy place right now.

this happened to me once with an interlibrary loan book that I had put in my book bag and never got around to reading. So I did not so much as touch it. It was a paperback and people had folded over corners, that was all that I or the librarian could guess that was what the other library was complaining about. She told me if I tried to fight it, some libraries say fine, but no more interlibrary loans from us. So I said I would pay it if allowed to order it myself from Amazon since it wasn't a hardcover book. They let me do that.  They wanted $25 and the book cost $8.  Maybe you can try that angle. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2015, 06:19:34 PM »
Haven't spent any money yet, but I scrolled through the Facebook page of a work acquaintance of my husband, and immediately fell into a spiral of inferiority over the incredibly important subject of ... interior decorating.

Spent an evening mentally trying to justify a new bed, cushions, art, before I woke up to myself.

This guy's house has been photographed for magazines. He and his partner are both in design-related fields. This is their thing. And that's fine. It doesn't have to be my thing. It's clearly not my thing, just a fleeting fancy.

But I'm unimpressed at how easily I was tempted. Time to punch on.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2015, 07:59:04 PM »
Haven't spent any money yet, but I scrolled through the Facebook page of a work acquaintance of my husband, and immediately fell into a spiral of inferiority over the incredibly important subject of ... interior decorating.

Spent an evening mentally trying to justify a new bed, cushions, art, before I woke up to myself.

This guy's house has been photographed for magazines. He and his partner are both in design-related fields. This is their thing. And that's fine. It doesn't have to be my thing. It's clearly not my thing, just a fleeting fancy.

It gave you a chance to flex your badassity muscles, and flex you did! Petty desires, be gone! =)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2015, 08:56:07 PM »

It gave you a chance to flex your badassity muscles, and flex you did! Petty desires, be gone! =)

No facepunch until you actually BUY color-coordinating pillows and throw. Ok, facepunch if you buy new furniture. (I say this because my coordinating pillows are unravelling at the seams and my coordinating throw blanket keeps getting covered in cat puke). I too am subject to bouts of 'need new decorative materials' but it's only been about 3.5 years since I bought them, and I can wash them and mend them. Stupid cats and their love for my snazzy blanket. Stupid heads that constantly smoosh the throw pillows out of shape and strain the seams.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »

No facepunch until you actually BUY color-coordinating pillows and throw. Ok, facepunch if you buy new furniture. (I say this because my coordinating pillows are unravelling at the seams and my coordinating throw blanket keeps getting covered in cat puke). I too am subject to bouts of 'need new decorative materials' but it's only been about 3.5 years since I bought them, and I can wash them and mend them. Stupid cats and their love for my snazzy blanket. Stupid heads that constantly smoosh the throw pillows out of shape and strain the seams.

Everything is already co-ordinated, I've just been creative with it. :) Cushion covers are from eBay, cushion inserts were discards from my parents' house, cushions on our bed were from a garage sale - washed thoroughly!, throw rugs were a birthday present, and 90 per cent of our furniture and white goods were second-hand one way or another.

And I'm proud of that. Whenever anyone compliments my furniture I am quick to tell them it was second-hand from eBay or a family freebie.

So the Ghost of Chevron Past can go jump.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2015, 11:05:02 AM »
Logged into my library account to put a book on hold and saw a $25 fine for damage to a book I returned on Saturday...Same book on amazon costs $15.
They wanted $25 and the book cost $8.  Maybe you can try that angle. 

Library volunteer here. Typically, libraries pay far more for their books than Amazon prices. Layers of bureaucracy, arcane methods of procurement, special bindings, lots of other BS reasons. The other thing that isn't so BS, IMHO, is preparation and processing costs. They have to pay people to print labels, affix them to the books, reinforce spines of PBs with clear tape, remove the old book from the system and enter the replacement, etc. There's a lot that goes on that you don't see, so it has very little to do with what an individual can buy the book for on the internet. Not saying I agree with all of this, especially bullshit union-driven rules, I'm just taking a moment to 'splain.

I would definitely ask to see proof of the "damage". If it is not legit, gently protest and don't be afraid to go up the chain to get results, because most people don't bother. This is especially true if you're a frequent user and have never been charged for damaging a book in the past.

Mntngoat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »
Spent  $500 last night.

The Surf is Sand is pretty nice....

ML

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2015, 07:57:57 PM »
Guys, I really need a facepunch. I was in NYC for a trip last week (personal reason for the trip, but I did some work things so work is paying for about 80% of my expenses while there) and I went to a specialty shop and spent $500 on bras.
Urgh.

That IS a pretty good one.  :punch:

Although, I admit that after years of spending on (relatively) frugal bras like Warners, I found out that cup size is not, in fact, a fixed thing (a D cup is not inherently larger than a B cup in terms of volume, etc), and most of us women are wearing the wrong size  because of some truly terrible 'sizing' guidelines that are strangely spread via weird osmosis throughout the culture. I was so intrigued by this, that I felt convinced I must go to specialty lingerie shop and not department stores and VS, so I could find someone who knew what they were talking about. Good news: they DID know, and sized me with one quick glance (correct size) over a form fitting shirt without me even trying anything on. And I got some bras that fit really well. Bad news: big cost markup, and of course, now that I understand how to properly size myself, and I'm in a 'just this side of prison camp twig skinny' phase, I can just wear a size that is widely available (just not the incorrect size I wore before).

Now, if I gain noticeable weight at some point (hopefully), I MIGHT have to hit that specialty store again. But I would consider that a triumph and money well spent. As it is, cheap bras can again suffice.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!