Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 321282 times)

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »

Yes! Thanks ladies. I will give it another shot next month.

Are there posts about inexpensive birth control and menstrual sanitation? because IUDs + cups seem to be the best for the wallet and the environment.

There was a whole thread on frugality for women-specific concerns- body care products, hair removal, birth control, menstrual 'gear', everything. I think there was even discussion about best options for bras. I wish I remember what it was called, it was an epic (and helpful) thread.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/lady-staches/msg963/#msg963

Yess! This one.

And it's funny, Basenji, I just clicked over from a thread where you were "too lazy" to find a blog post so someone found it for you. Looks like we're all just paying the lazy forward! =)

Exactly. We've hashed and rehashed everything at some point. Nature of the beast. Lately I've taken to looking for old threads to resurrect that are worth a second look.

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
This thread is Krieger Jazz Hands level awesome.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2015, 12:37:09 PM »
GUYS! Need facepunch for most expensive 4 minutes of epic fail ever.

Last week, we're a little late getting out the door in the wee hours of the morning, to get to airport, where we are embarking on a work-related (but fun) trip to the British Virgin Islands. ALL EXPENSES PAID. It's a podunk airport, flight leaving at 5:00...hardly anyone even IN the airport that time of morning, so we nonchalantly leave the house a teeny bit later than normal, figuring the half-hour before flight check-in is slightly more flexible when you are the only thing happening in our airport.

We arrived at desk at 4:34 a.m.

Four minutes too late. We and 4 other people who straggled in. The desk clerk literally opened a door from the back, looked at the 6 of us, and shut the door in our faces. So, yeah. Had to go home (it's still fucking dark outside), and then spend several hours rearranging for a new flight out 3 days later.

Only this time, it isn't all-expenses-paid, of course. After much bickering and ticket transfers, plus an extra unplanned-for night in the San Juan airport hotel, that 4 minutes is costing us close to $900. :CLUTCHES HEAD IN HANDS:

But wait, the worst part of this story is we've been doing this trip, partly on our own dime, for TWELVE previous years and never been late to the airport. So the year we have to learn the lesson just has to be the year work was paying for EVERYTHING.

Ok....hit me.

:stands at attention, breathes deeply, and closes eyes in anticipation of pummeling:

JJNL

• Bristles
  • Zuinigheid met vlijt bouwt huizen als kastelen
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2015, 03:28:34 PM »
Isn't going to facepunch wenchsenior - that could've been me. I let the bicycle repair man at the train station fix my flat tire, b/c it was my 2nd flat in a week and I was frustrated and in a rush. He told me he couldn't fix it and I needed a new inner tube - after he'd already put it in. I don't know if I believe him. I've been perfectly able to mend my own tires since I was 12 years old (I live in the Netherlands, we learn to cycle right after we learn how to walk). Cost of bike repair man: 21 euros. Cost of mending own tire: 0 euros and something like 30 minutes of my time.

D'oh!

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2015, 02:34:18 PM »
Karaoke with friends turned from $25 we'd split amongst us to cover the birthday girl for an hour of fun. Turned into 2 hours at a higher rate because birthday girl decided to book two rooms. Final cost: $75. Split amongst 5, but still. But how do you tell someone when it's their birthday that they have to throw in $$ for the room?

(Answer: You just suck it up and do it. FFFFuuu)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2015, 11:45:08 AM »
Drove to get groceries this morning, less than a mile away. In my defense, I did cut my leg open with a machete yesterday and it bleeds if I walk too much ;)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »
In my defense, I did cut my leg open with a machete yesterday and it bleeds if I walk too much ;)
Ok I'll bite - how (or rather why) did you attempt to remove your leg with a machete?
Were you just cleaning it and it went off?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2015, 12:05:15 PM »
In my defense, I did cut my leg open with a machete yesterday and it bleeds if I walk too much ;)
Ok I'll bite - how (or rather why) did you attempt to remove your leg with a machete?
Were you just cleaning it and it went off?
Helping a friend take down a bunch of suckers that grew up from the stump of a crape myrtle tree. I was about 3 swings from being done, too... *sigh* $185 copay and 3 hours down the drain. First ER visit in my life at age 37. First-ever stitches. Interesting experience.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2015, 08:34:38 PM »
Stumps are what gunpowder is for ;-)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2015, 08:36:52 AM »
I went hiking... that's not worthy of the facepunch. What IS, is that I FORGOT my trail pass and had to pay the $5 trail fee. That was $5 I didn't need to spend. Just lucky I had cash on me.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2015, 09:34:28 AM »
I went to the County Fair yesterday and purchased fried Oreos and 2 namesigns for my grandchildren plus a substandard Philly chicken cheesesteak, ribbon fries and ice cream.  I did enjoy seeing the animals and the nice craftwork by various people plus the games and rides.

Please facepunch me....

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:25:57 PM by onehair »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2015, 12:17:37 PM »
Took the whole family out to Olive Garden. (Ka-pow!)

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2015, 01:26:57 PM »
I went to the County Fair yesterday and purchased fried Oreos and 2 namesigns for my grandchildren plus a substandard Philly chicken cheesesteak, ribbon fries and ice cream.  I did enjoy seeing the animals and the nice craftwork by various people plus the games and rides.

Please facepunch me....

Goodness! How much did this recklessness cost?

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2015, 01:36:37 PM »
$47 total I think.  $20 for the signs and $27 for the ribbon fries, cheesesteak 2 lemonades and ice cream, and a bag of butter toffee peanuts plus a bottle of water I wasn't paying $3 for a lemonade refill.  It is once a year and I am repenting for my sins today with a queasy stomach....

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2015, 01:49:30 PM »
$47 total I think.  $20 for the signs and $27 for the ribbon fries, cheesesteak 2 lemonades and ice cream, and a bag of butter toffee peanuts plus a bottle of water I wasn't paying $3 for a lemonade refill.  It is once a year and I am repenting for my sins today with a queasy stomach....

Well, you showed restraint by not indulging in fudge or bearpaws....

Hope your stomach feels better soon.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »
Got my hair cut at my local and expensive place. This is one of the things on my list to cut down on costs or explore home hair cutting, but I have a hard time doing. I love my hairdresser and it's hard for me to say goodbye. I have a short pixie cut with all silver (stopping the coloring was my first step a while back when I started on MMM and no regrets on that). I keep meaning to find a hairdressing school or cheap place, but I don't. Argh! I'm so weak. Punch.

ETA just looked up a cosmetology school, I could get a cut for $68 LESS than I'm paying now. X 6/yr = $408 savings / yr. Damn it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:46:48 AM by Basenji »

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2015, 09:49:30 AM »
Commenting mostly so I can follow, because this thread is exactly where I am at.

This weekend:
Sold clothes on Ebay!
Bought exactly the same amount of clothes in a charity-shop the next day.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »
Just bought supermarket lunch, for a total of almost 8$
At least was the first time this summer...

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »
Got my hair cut at my local and expensive place. This is one of the things on my list to cut down on costs or explore home hair cutting, but I have a hard time doing. I love my hairdresser and it's hard for me to say goodbye. I have a short pixie cut with all silver (stopping the coloring was my first step a while back when I started on MMM and no regrets on that). I keep meaning to find a hairdressing school or cheap place, but I don't. Argh! I'm so weak. Punch.

ETA just looked up a cosmetology school, I could get a cut for $68 LESS than I'm paying now. X 6/yr = $408 savings / yr. Damn it.
I've had good luck with the Aveda Institute in DC - they're slow, and not always confident, but the teachers are there to prevent any major damage...

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »

I've had good luck with the Aveda Institute in DC - they're slow, and not always confident, but the teachers are there to prevent any major damage...

I got a great haircut at the Paul Mitchell School in Woodbridge.  It was a friend of mine in cosmetology school, but I saw a lot of other people walking out with great haircuts, and the teachers were close by in case of problems!

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2015, 03:01:07 PM »
Thank you, that was the first place I looked at. Imma gonna try it. It's time for me to get that under control.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:03:32 PM by Basenji »

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »
I got a great haircut at the Paul Mitchell School in Woodbridge.  It was a friend of mine in cosmetology school, but I saw a lot of other people walking out with great haircuts, and the teachers were close by in case of problems!
Awesome, Woodbridge is a bit far for me, but making notes.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2015, 07:12:19 AM »
Went out for a friend's birthday party a month ago. I hate arguing over who's going to pay so I offered to pick up the bar tab. 160 dollars later, was facepunching myself aggressively.

Biggest Facepunch to date in my life: Going to a 4 year private school (tuition around 50k a year) 1500 miles away from home. I slam my head into a wall every morning for that one. No "college experience" is worth that.

I hear you. I hate arguing about the bill or seeming cheap when I'm out with friends, so I don't quibble. I just facepunch myself later for paying £30 over what I actually owed. Ah well. It's the £30 tax for not looking like the asshole who's arguing about how the bill gets split, I guess.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2015, 08:20:18 AM »
After 2 days of bland foods and massive infusions of greens I have now recovered from my sins but I don't want to look at hardly anything fried just yet.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2015, 08:26:24 AM »
In an attempt to settle my digestive system which has not been generating up-to-standard excretions lately, I paid $8.67 for a 16oz smoothie dinner. With ingredients anyone can find at a local grocery store. It didn't even keep me full. This juice/smoothie fad is the worst.

Bumbling Bee

• Stubble
    • Journey of a Thousand Face Punches
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »
I just moved apartments. I took today off work as a personal day so that I can get as much unpacking done as possible in my new place, and clean my old apartment. I technically have the old apartment until the 31st, but I am going on vacation Friday, until the end of the month, so I need to be totally out by tomorrow. I am still going over to the old apartment tonight to see if there was anything left behind, but I just booked a cleaning service for tomorrow morning.  Just really poor planning on my part. Punch me now.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2015, 11:18:07 AM »
I just moved apartments. I took today off work as a personal day so that I can get as much unpacking done as possible in my new place, and clean my old apartment. I technically have the old apartment until the 31st, but I am going on vacation Friday, until the end of the month, so I need to be totally out by tomorrow. I am still going over to the old apartment tonight to see if there was anything left behind, but I just booked a cleaning service for tomorrow morning.  Just really poor planning on my part. Punch me now.
I'm almost glad I didn't find this site at this time last year, because the facepunchiness around my move was insane. I was so stressed (not just about the move - long, painful story) that I just gave up even trying to save money. I gave away thousands of dollars worth of stuff instead of trying to sell it, I hired a cleaning service and gave them 100% tips, I hired movers, and I overlapped two apartments for 3 weeks just so I wouldn't have to deal with moving on Labor Day weekend.

And I really don't have the heart to facepunch anyone else after typing that out. :-/

Bumbling Bee

• Stubble
    • Journey of a Thousand Face Punches
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2015, 11:38:57 AM »
Well, in my partial defense, I was severely ("could have collapsed at any moment") unwell earlier this year, and I guess I'm still a lot punier than I would have hoped.

The planning, or lack thereof, around moving, going away (partly to pursue alternative medical treatment), and changing jobs - all within a one-month timeframe - was just DUMB, though.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2015, 06:29:35 AM »
Well, in my partial defense, I was severely ("could have collapsed at any moment") unwell earlier this year, and I guess I'm still a lot punier than I would have hoped.

The planning, or lack thereof, around moving, going away (partly to pursue alternative medical treatment), and changing jobs - all within a one-month timeframe - was just DUMB, though.
Nah, cleaning service is fine in this case. After having moved 12 times with the Navy, it sucks and it's exhausting. No facepunch. Make it up later when you're feeling strong and settled in.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »
@Basenji,

+1 for hair dressing schools. I've been alternating between that and trimming my own hair in between cuts. At the school here, its $16 for a shampoo, cut and blow-dry. There are 2 instructors on the cutting floor at any given time, circulating amongst the clients, checking up on the students. Each student has to describe to the instructor what they plan to do before they even start your cut. I've been very happy with my cuts from there.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2015, 06:32:54 AM »
@Basenji,

+1 for hair dressing schools. I've been alternating between that and trimming my own hair in between cuts. At the school here, its $16 for a shampoo, cut and blow-dry. There are 2 instructors on the cutting floor at any given time, circulating amongst the clients, checking up on the students. Each student has to describe to the instructor what they plan to do before they even start your cut. I've been very happy with my cuts from there.

Thanks. I was thinking I would start with alternate each time plan, once hair school, once my beloved hairdresser. Although she'll know I cheated on her, gonna have to stop "relationship-ing" this business transaction... Home haircutting is step 2, argh.

It has been interesting and vexing to me where I get stuck saving money. Am thinking of starting a journal related to this where I work on NOT the easy (for me) things, but the ones where I feel the most conflicted and can't decide if it's a worthy pleasure to keep or something that just needs to go. Relationships with a local business provider cause me problems because I have a conflicting set of values where I'm trying to be local in my spending or I want to buy locally produced food. And I hate disappointing someone who I like and who does good work, but I'm just trying to save a buck. Easy when it's Whole Foods, harder when it's Mary or Ted.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 06:40:58 AM by Basenji »

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2015, 07:58:41 AM »
Relationships with a local business provider cause me problems because I have a conflicting set of values where I'm trying to be local in my spending or I want to buy locally produced food. And I hate disappointing someone who I like and who does good work, but I'm just trying to save a buck. Easy when it's Whole Foods, harder when it's Mary or Ted.

I hear you. The issue for me is my CSA. The food is great, but there is no way that I would spend as much as this on produce each week as I do on the CSA. And this is not an expensive CSA. Next year it has to go, I think. Other days, though, I don't think it is much money or time to help a family make a living doing something they love to do. Not like I can't afford it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »
@Basenji,

Thanks. I was thinking I would start with alternate each time plan, once hair school, once my beloved hairdresser. Although she'll know I cheated on her, gonna have to stop "relationship-ing" this business transaction... Home haircutting is step 2, argh.

It has been interesting and vexing to me where I get stuck saving money. Am thinking of starting a journal related to this where I work on NOT the easy (for me) things, but the ones where I feel the most conflicted and can't decide if it's a worthy pleasure to keep or something that just needs to go. Relationships with a local business provider cause me problems because I have a conflicting set of values where I'm trying to be local in my spending or I want to buy locally produced food. And I hate disappointing someone who I like and who does good work, but I'm just trying to save a buck. Easy when it's Whole Foods, harder when it's Mary or Ted.

I hear you. I actually had this problem cutting my restaurant and coffee budgets. The places I went were small local places, where the owner is always in, and everyone knew me by name. It actually provided me with a lot of joy to visit and catch up on their lives. I'm actually still real life friends with one of the baristas I met through that shop.

I'm not sure I could have just stopped going completely. I scaled it back, but ultimately, the only reason I stopped was that I moved. It gave me a reason, and I was able to say my goodbyes and get closure. And now, when I'm back in the area, I can visit guilt free about my spending since it's not an every day or every week thing.

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2015, 09:25:32 PM »
I'm sure I need at least a moderate facepunch.  I recently purchased a 2005 Honda S2000.  Yes, my '02 Acura RSX that I have been driving since I got it new is a basically fine car.  Bought for 10.8k and financed at 3.2%.  This car isn't practical or a necessity but man is it fun to drive.  Next step is to sell the RSX to hopefully pay off 50% of the loan.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »
these are the most financial mistakes I have ever made and supercouponing is not gonna save my ass.  I got sick in Sept, hospice nurse LOVED my job, went back because I ran out of FMLA, I worked Dec but I was very, very sick.  Eventually landed in hospital and never well enough to go back to work. First mistake, by October my docs were telling me to apply for SSDI immediately, I thought that was insane, I'm 45, I'm not taking SSDI and stop working, are you nuts?  No, I was nuts, it took me NINE months before I believed, uh, yeah, about the SSDI, I think I might need that. I think in the end that might not be financially horrible because I think the lawyer says it will go back to when I first got ill, but it takes 2 years to get so wasting 9 months was incredibly stupid. 

I was in a crisis when work was officially done so took Cobra because I was too ill to look into the NYS market place plans.  Cobra is great for anything within my vast hospital system, including MD partners, testing, being inpatient. Not good at all when you need more acute care at the competitor.  I have put off for months meeting with a NYS employee to help me find an equally good plan that covers both hospital systems.  But I just found out I might need freaking brain surgery, the guru is at the competitor and I am not messing around with my brain.  So I have to take care of this on Mon.  I already screwed myself, I'm having tests there Tues that my insurance barely covers, it will be thousands, had I switched insurances, this would not be a problem.  I spoke with the finance person, said not to worry they have grants, charity care and will discount the bill.  But still, to not have done this 6/1 when I knew I needed to and it's almost Sept?  That is so unlike me, I am always on top of my stuff, my family's stuff, my patients' stuff.  If I can't fix this, it will be the biggest financial disaster ever for me and I take money pretty seriously.  Definitely the thing in my brain is screwing with my decision making.

I deserve more than a face punch, add in a body slam

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2015, 11:51:32 AM »
New glasses plus exam = $830!

To be fair, it's a complicated expensive lens that has to be done in high index, or it would be too heavy for me to wear. And I'm very gun shy about going to the cheap places like the Walmart optical because every time I've done that, they've messed up my prescription. But it doesn't help that the only frames I feel comfortable in are the titanium Silhouettes or similar.

Also discovered that the vision 'insurance' my company switched to is accepted pretty much no where. It's only a buck a pay period, but apparently wasted money. Luckily I had extra money in flexible spending this year.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »
Don't get me started on glasses. I had a detached retina a while ago that was not totally able to be fixed.  So I have this very high, tons of astigmatism lens. Only one lab can do it and they are somehow affiliated with one optical place.  They do a fantastic job, they are patient because the script is never right the first time, they'll have their optometrist tweak it for free.  And they still give me a 20% employee discount even though I am not working.  I found frames for $200, not BJs cheap but I can't go anywhere else so these were fine.  In the end, with my discount, and them not charging me for exams, the total was $1800.  I thought I was going to throw up. Plus, they cannot do my script anymore with the super thin lenses so they are thick, and my script is too high for no-line bifocals, I have bifocal lines like an 80 yr old! They are so ugly, so expensive but I cannot find another option, I used to do glasses online, script too weird for those places anymore.  And because of my bad eye, I don't see so hot when all is said and done. I get the script is tough, but $1600 for just the lenses, come on, they can't be THAT hard. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2015, 10:04:02 PM »
$1k of the gutters is the leafguard.  I have about ten feet of run that is so high my ladder won't reach - and I have a thing about heights and getting on the roof, so I just don't clean those.  Once I decided to get the leafguard there, it seemed easiest to just get the whole thing.  This is where spending gets out of control - when you start going "Well considering how much I'm ALREADY spending, what the heck?" 

Wha?!? You can buy the leaf guards and DIY for much cheaper.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2015, 07:45:40 PM »
@Basenji,

In my area the haircutting school costs more than the discount salon (Great Clips/Saturdays/whatever). I like my cut and can't figure out how to do it myself--I did an all-one-length layers-at-the-ends cut in college.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2015, 08:20:58 PM »

I go to this old neighbor, been doing it for decades, very kind man, when I got divorced, he started doing my hair and the kids for 20 bucks, I tipped 10 because I didn't know what to do, he would never take more than 20. I go to him now, just me, $10.  I had a pixie cut for decades with variations, every once in a while I'd go to an expensive place just to see if they could do any better, his cuts were always nicer. 

My FacePunch?  I pay 5x what I pay to get my hair cut on getting my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel groomed.  I adopted him from my friend's mom who couldn't take care of him any more.  Very cute but long flow-y fur and I did not take into consideration that this kind of dog needs grooming. I've never had a dog like that before so I took him without a second thought.  Great dog, and I still would've taken him but I should've asked about that kind of thing.  The women I worked with said her mom had Buddy groomed every month. It's $56! I have him shaved in the summer to save money and because we have tons of pricker bushes.  So he actually goes 4x a year or so.  My plan was to learn to do it myself, then got sick and the dog still goes.  There have to be cheaper groomers, we go to PetSmart.  They sure are smart to get $56 out of my cheap hands!  I'm gonna ask the vet if he is in a warm house all day, can he just get shaved down all year so I have more time between grooming.  A customer in PetSmart had the same kind of dog, I was walking out with Buddy shaved.  She lit into me how you never alter a King Charles' style, it's disrespectful to the breed and if I can't be bothered to groom him correctly, I don't deserve him. 

I accept my FacePunch but I think it should be more of a slight slap because I did not Face Punch the bitch who told me I don't deserve my dog!

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2015, 07:37:49 AM »
A customer in PetSmart had the same kind of dog, I was walking out with Buddy shaved.  She lit into me how you never alter a King Charles' style, it's disrespectful to the breed and if I can't be bothered to groom him correctly, I don't deserve him. 

I accept my FacePunch but I think it should be more of a slight slap because I did not Face Punch the bitch who told me I don't deserve my dog!

It's disrespectful to the breed...? They're dogs. They don't care. *scratches head*.

I'm not a dog person, but I would assume that as long as the dog is comfortable and healthy, it doesn't really matter what you do with its haircut.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2015, 08:37:26 AM »
I accidentally bought a $3 e-book during my august August. The irony? The book is Sam Lustgarten's Frugaling: save more, live well, give generously.

Amazon said it was free with amazon unlimited. I clicked on the unlimited link and it said "kindle + prime = free books with AmazonUnlimited" so I went back and bought the qualifying book.... turns out I needed to *register* for unlimited, and it's one free month and then $9.99/month thereafter. Sigh.

DH laughed quite hard when I told him.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »
Merrie, FLA, and company,
So...thought about the hair thing. Great advice. I was reading the Tightwad Gazette (my stress read, I read all three books for the 8,000th time when I'm thrift problem solving, probably a borderline Aspergers thing, but anyhoo...), she has one bit about saving money is a combo of "use it less, make it last longer, and find it for less money." Leaving aside my feelings about my lovely expensive hairdresser, I think I'm going to grow out my hair a bit (space haircuts significantly more apart), try the hairdressing school, and maybe pop in to my gal only once or twice per year. Then as it grows longer experiment with home trims, or at least just the bangs. We'll see...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:42:49 AM by Basenji »

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2015, 09:30:57 AM »
The irony was the one thing I got free at the fair was the nastiest thing I had eaten in a while.  How are boiled peanuts supposed to taste and do they have a waiting period?  They tasted like a combo of boiled liver and bitterness to me.

Ontopic response: I used my Chipotle coupon for lunch yesterday bringing my $10.50 bill down to $2.50.  I got the coupon by visiting Shophouse earlier on a cemetery run.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2015, 09:38:53 AM »
I ate lunch out because I didn't eat breakfast at home so I ate my packed lunch for breakfast instead. On the other hand, that's the first food out in... well over a month. It was also an amazingly delicious burger for $6 (like 1/2lb sized) from a food truck right in front of my office.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2015, 10:49:15 AM »
Just bought and moved into a new house. We replaced the electric range on our old house less than a year ago. Guess what? Our new house has the exact range we just replaced in our old house. So, did we swap the ranges like we did for the washer/dryer? Nope. Went out and bought another new range for the new house, to the tune of 3x what we paid for the new range in the old house. That being said, I love cooking, and the new range had double ovens, which will come in handy for Thanksgiving that we host yearly.

Accepting any and all facepunches.

*Edited to clarify. The new range is for the new house.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:08:58 PM by Geostache »

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2015, 11:36:34 AM »
Just bought and moved into a new house. We replaced the electric range on our old house less than a year ago. Guess what? Our new house has the exact range we just replaced in our old house. So, did we swap the ranges like we did for the washer/dryer? Nope. Went out and bought another new range for the old house, to the tune of 3x what we paid for the new range in the old house. That being said, I love cooking, and the new range had double ovens, which will come in handy for Thanksgiving that we host yearly.

Accepting any and all facepunches.

3 x the cost of the other new range? 2 ovens for one big entertainment event a year? Buying a new house must have opened up the spending doors in your head. Time to close those doors -- quickly.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2015, 11:54:24 AM »
Took a son to McDonald's on a lunch date 1/2 an hour before he got his braces on :-/ I've been really good about staying out of fast food drive thru's but this seemed special, somehow. I know, justifying...

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »
Took a son to McDonald's on a lunch date 1/2 an hour before he got his braces on :-/ I've been really good about staying out of fast food drive thru's but this seemed special, somehow. I know, justifying...

this sounds fine to me, it was a special treat and I'd imagine it didn't break the bank

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
Double punch for feeding your kid fast food (wink). Actually the thing I really missed with braces was corn on the cob. I still remember being around 14 and eating it, for the first time in a few years, the day AFTER I got my braces off.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!