Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 321534 times)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #850 on: September 28, 2018, 09:46:44 AM »
Running to work; late for meeting; super hungry. Picked up a $4 cup of oatmeal. It was not very good--couldn't even eat the whole thing.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #851 on: October 01, 2018, 09:51:52 AM »
I am genuinely unaware of whether I am deserving of a solid, skull-rattling, face punch.

I bought a mountain bike yesterday. I had been wanting one for a while. I went with a budget-friendly, 29er, hard-tail with hydraulic disk brakes at $500 cash. I understand that a bicycle purchase can be exempt from deserving of a face-punch.

BUT!...

It is my 5th bicycle. I have a super nice road bike, a super nice fixie, a somewhat broken-down mountain bike (that this new bike is replacing), and a somewhat broken-down fixie (A POS BSO with bent wheels). So... facepunch?

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #852 on: October 01, 2018, 01:16:14 PM »
I'm going to respectfully disagree. As long as you offload the older mountain bike, and do something constructive with the beat-up fixie, I think you're good.

There are limits to Mustachian bike purchases: buying both an aero road bike and a lightweight road bike (or a cyclocross bike and a gravel bike) would probably justify facepunches unless you're racing seriously hard, but owning a road bike, a fixie and a mountain bike is pretty reasonable. Especially given that you got your hands on hydro disc brakes for that price.

That said, I'm planning to drop a couple of thousand on a new bike next year for racing, so I am something of an outlier.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #853 on: October 01, 2018, 01:46:15 PM »
I'm going to respectfully disagree. As long as you offload the older mountain bike, and do something constructive with the beat-up fixie, I think you're good.

There are limits to Mustachian bike purchases: buying both an aero road bike and a lightweight road bike (or a cyclocross bike and a gravel bike) would probably justify facepunches unless you're racing seriously hard, but owning a road bike, a fixie and a mountain bike is pretty reasonable. Especially given that you got your hands on hydro disc brakes for that price.

That said, I'm planning to drop a couple of thousand on a new bike next year for racing, so I am something of an outlier.

I am going to put the old fixie and mtb on the street with a free sign (I will be sure to switch the fixie to the free hub first so nobody gets hurt). When I put free stuff on the curb, it seems like deserving people pick it up. That's just a guess though.

At least you will actually be racing that expensive bike! I have a somewhat expensive road bike as a slightly overweight, slow guy, haha.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #854 on: October 01, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »
I am going to put the old fixie and mtb on the street with a free sign (I will be sure to switch the fixie to the free hub first so nobody gets hurt). When I put free stuff on the curb, it seems like deserving people pick it up. That's just a guess though.

At least you will actually be racing that expensive bike! I have a somewhat expensive road bike as a slightly overweight, slow guy, haha.

I'm carrying my fair share of additional weight at the moment - the promise of a stupidly speedy aero machine next summer is keeping me reasonably well-behaved in dietary and training terms. That, and the fact that my wife, who knows exactly how bike racing works, will waste no time deriding my "too much bike for the rider" purchase if I'm not murderously fast at the first duathlon of the season.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #855 on: October 02, 2018, 12:40:41 AM »

Why free?

Would donating them to a charity be too much hassle?

We're flipping a house and gave away a bunch of free stuff. People seemed to be taking it just because it was free. We wised up and started charging small amounts and we're really pleased at the difference. We like knowing that the stuff was actually going to be used.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #856 on: October 02, 2018, 06:43:21 AM »
I am genuinely unaware of whether I am deserving of a solid, skull-rattling, face punch.

I bought a mountain bike yesterday. I had been wanting one for a while. I went with a budget-friendly, 29er, hard-tail with hydraulic disk brakes at $500 cash. I understand that a bicycle purchase can be exempt from deserving of a face-punch.

BUT!...

It is my 5th bicycle. I have a super nice road bike, a super nice fixie, a somewhat broken-down mountain bike (that this new bike is replacing), and a somewhat broken-down fixie (A POS BSO with bent wheels). So... facepunch?

I'm giving you a pass only because I also just purchased a fifth bicycle- $700 for a used fatbike. And it only took another $250 to fix the previous owners unique interpretation of bicycle mechanics.

It's a purchase I've been planning for a while now, and far less than the $3000 options I was seriously considering. The old fatbike is going up for sale soon to recover some of the cost. 

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #857 on: October 02, 2018, 08:26:13 AM »
Why free?

Actually, that post got me thinking and a quick google search revealed a charity in my city. You donate old bikes and they have kids wrench on them and adopt them. Good stuff! So that is where they will be going. Hopefully I will see a newly-minted young hipster on my old fixie riding around town!

In other news - if I am deserving of a facepunch, fate has already delivered the blow twice over. Hoo boy I forgot how punishing mountain biking can be, haha. I mean, one handlebar clip of a tree at speed and your ass is down! The bike held up beautifully though.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #858 on: October 02, 2018, 11:33:56 PM »
Why free?

Actually, that post got me thinking and a quick google search revealed a charity in my city. You donate old bikes and they have kids wrench on them and adopt them. Good stuff! So that is where they will be going. Hopefully I will see a newly-minted young hipster on my old fixie riding around town!

In other news - if I am deserving of a facepunch, fate has already delivered the blow twice over. Hoo boy I forgot how punishing mountain biking can be, haha. I mean, one handlebar clip of a tree at speed and your ass is down! The bike held up beautifully though.
What's that they say? No good deed goes unpunished. Glad you're okay. I hope some really deserving person gets your bike(s) and goes on to have a much improved life because of your generosity.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!