Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 321281 times)

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #800 on: April 11, 2018, 08:30:05 AM »
I've been dying to buy a new sofa for four years. I love my home and everything in it, and I have beautiful (mostly secondhand) things that I have no desire to replace, but this monstrosity is the exception to that rule. It's also in the room that I lounge around in every single day, and beside my bed, is the item of furniture that gets the most use. And I HATE it!

It has been cheap (read: free) sitting/lounging for 4 years, but I'm SO done with it. Hate how it looks, it's too big for the space, it NEVER feels clean (no matter how much I clean it), and it's not that comfortable. I've been so tempted to just pull the trigger and replace it, but new sectionals are EXPENSIVE AF. $2k? $3k? On the LOW end??? Come on, now.

Been trolling the used markets for another (very gently) used replacement, but the room is an odd size and I've found nothing that will fit. I'm already giving myself 3,000 facepuches for this.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #801 on: April 13, 2018, 07:38:44 AM »
I haven't biked to work yet this year due to cold and snow. As I was driving home yesterday I saw a very old person riding a bike up a hill. Granted the afternoon was warmer than the morning, but I still need a punch in the face for using the greenhouse gas spewing motorized wheelchair.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:41:09 AM by MrsWolfeRN »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #802 on: April 30, 2018, 06:46:52 AM »
For all you turtle figurine people, a friend shared with me that she had a period of time in her life when she was addicted to...

...bidding on New Kids on the Block stuff on eBay. I feel like I cannot even do addiction right!

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #803 on: May 01, 2018, 12:34:00 AM »
I bought a spiralizer after Christmas on clearance. I still haven’t used it. I see it in the closet and guilty.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #804 on: May 02, 2018, 10:19:04 AM »
I'm not sure this is 100% face punch worthy, but here it goes.

We have to pay $9,000 to remove the bamboo that the previous owners put in the yard. It's going bananas, ruining the grass, springing up everywhere.  We could try to do it ourselves, but I think we'd a) ruin our backs b) be unsuccessful, and c) spend money on specialized tools we'd never use again. If you guys have never heard of these issues with bamboo, consider yourself lucky! It's worse than blackberries in the PNW.

We'll probably need to get some new trees/bushes to retain some privacy. So, probably looking at 12k all in.

SIGH.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #805 on: May 03, 2018, 07:24:17 AM »
There is no way the special tools would exceed 9k, so this sounds like a purely (time and effort) issue you've rationalized the 9k for. Also, I hate grass, I wish the ivy in my yard would take it over, kill it, and I'd never have to mow again.

I think so long as you're not in debt in the first place, and not taking on debt to pay the 9k, and you realize that you are trading what a future 9k could be savings wise... it's ok to make this decision.

If you are in debt, taking on debt, then-

FACE PUNCH

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #806 on: May 03, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
There is no way the special tools would exceed 9k, so this sounds like a purely (time and effort) issue you've rationalized the 9k for. Also, I hate grass, I wish the ivy in my yard would take it over, kill it, and I'd never have to mow again.

I think so long as you're not in debt in the first place, and not taking on debt to pay the 9k, and you realize that you are trading what a future 9k could be savings wise... it's ok to make this decision.

FACE PUNCH

No the tools wouldn't cost 9k. That's true.  Some of the required tools are very bamboo specific (e.g. a slammer??) We can easily afford this. It's also going to take 3 weeks of back breaking work to do it (we are not in our 20s) and we also don't have the knowledge and expertise regarding bamboo. I guess it will come back rather quickly if you don't get it all and take care of the roots properly. We probably could do it if we have no other choice, but I have other plans for my summer so it is definitely a rationalization. :p

The one cool thing is apparently they take the cut down bamboo and take it to the zoo and feed it to the rhinos. Happy expensive dinner! lol

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #807 on: May 04, 2018, 06:11:26 AM »
I don't get this thread. I've offered two facepunches and then folks come to defend themselves or others. Did you want a facepunch or did you want to absolve yourself with a confession?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #808 on: May 04, 2018, 08:35:04 AM »

FACE PUNCH

No the tools wouldn't cost 9k. That's true.  Some of the required tools are very bamboo specific (e.g. a slammer??) We can easily afford this. It's also going to take 3 weeks of back breaking work to do it (we are not in our 20s) and we also don't have the knowledge and expertise regarding bamboo. I guess it will come back rather quickly if you don't get it all and take care of the roots properly. We probably could do it if we have no other choice, but I have other plans for my summer so it is definitely a rationalization. :p

The one cool thing is apparently they take the cut down bamboo and take it to the zoo and feed it to the rhinos. Happy expensive dinner! lol
Dear God, please tell us you got multiple estimates? And your property is a huge parcel? And you received a guarantee of free removal for the next ten years when it regenerates? And a guarantee that they won't go out of business? Sorry, absent extenuating circumstances not described above, there's no way this is anything but full facepunch worthy. I'm with you @Mesmoiselle!

To clarify, I can understand not wanting to do the work, but throwing so much money at bamboo makes me think someone's doing some fancy bamboozle-ing.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #809 on: May 04, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »
I don't get this thread. I've offered two facepunches and then folks come to defend themselves or others. Did you want a facepunch or did you want to absolve yourself with a confession?

Both.  There's logic and rationalization behind EVERY puchase. Face punch worthy or not. I was just explaining the circumstances.

Please suggest an alternative??
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:39:33 AM by honeybbq »

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #810 on: May 04, 2018, 10:02:47 AM »
Dicey - yes, we went with the mid range estimate. They've been in business for a long time. IT would be a great scam if they sold AND removed bamboo. hahah. As long as people still plant this stuff, they'll still be in business.

I mean, they quoted 3 weeks of work (not 8 hours a day). I dunno, I guess we'll see. I live in downtown Seattle. It is NOT a huge parcel of land. More like a postage stamp. 

It does have a guarantee at least.

Not sure what my other options are. I honestly don't think I could pull the bamboo quickly enough (without quitting my job) to get it taken care of. It grows like a wildfire. You can punch all you want, it is nuts, but I want to make sure all the facts are in evidence.

Was also hoping someone else could commiserate!!! lol
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:04:43 AM by honeybbq »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #811 on: May 06, 2018, 01:51:15 AM »

Both.  There's logic and rationalization behind EVERY puchase. Face punch worthy or not. I was just explaining the circumstances.

Turn your entire yard over to the bamboo and have a bamboo forest. 

I have seen it here (just north of you).  Especially effective if you are close to real "wild" nature areas, then a less manicured yard  / with a slope, is good to go.

Otherwise, I would hire someone with a mini backhoe to dig up about 5 feet down of ground,  you sift through the soil  (put it through a mesh screen) to find the roots, and discard and put the soil back.  Next.   

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #812 on: May 06, 2018, 02:16:51 AM »

Buy or rent a panda?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #813 on: May 11, 2018, 07:34:26 AM »
Dicey - yes, we went with the mid range estimate. They've been in business for a long time. IT would be a great scam if they sold AND removed bamboo. hahah. As long as people still plant this stuff, they'll still be in business.

I mean, they quoted 3 weeks of work (not 8 hours a day). I dunno, I guess we'll see. I live in downtown Seattle. It is NOT a huge parcel of land. More like a postage stamp. 

It does have a guarantee at least.

Not sure what my other options are. I honestly don't think I could pull the bamboo quickly enough (without quitting my job) to get it taken care of. It grows like a wildfire. You can punch all you want, it is nuts, but I want to make sure all the facts are in evidence.

Was also hoping someone else could commiserate!!! lol

I think they TELL you they are feeding it to rhinos, but they are really sneaking around at night planting it in other peoples' yards to create more business for themselves. Save a facepunch for flim-flammers in the bamboo-removal business, guys!

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #814 on: May 13, 2018, 08:39:17 AM »
@honeybbq

I LOLed at the Panda suggestion.

But as others mentioned:

Embracing Bamboo over grass.(free initial cost, maintence you may have to do yourself?)
Renting a back hoe and sifting the dirt yourself ( LEss than 9k, that's for sure.)
Renting a back hoe to carry most of your bamboo filled yard away, then have a dumptruck bring you a new yard (dirt) Install grass.  (unaware of cost altogether.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #815 on: May 22, 2018, 01:54:24 PM »
Careful giving the yard over. About 10 years ago, we had to do some major foundation work on my grandma's house, because the bamboo found the small cracks and caused major havoc. It's very, very aggressive here in the PNW. After the foundation was fixed, we used a backhoe to do basically what Goldielocks said, and then we ended up trenching out with a deep strip and putting in a really deep reaching wall underground to prevent it from getting up close to the house again. Fucking miserable summer of work from multiple relatives. Bomboo is the devil, and anyone who plants it up here without putting it in a totally sealed trench has a billion negative karma points to cleanse from their soul.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #816 on: June 22, 2018, 07:44:06 AM »
I went to Mellow Mushroom and bought a large pizza.

I took a bite and was like, "Oh, yes! Oh, Lawdy, yes!"

Facepunch away.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #817 on: June 22, 2018, 02:05:57 PM »

Facepunch away.

Hey, at least you didn't buy the extra large. THAT would have been over the top.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #818 on: June 22, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »

Facepunch away.
Mellow Mushroom... aww hell naw! I'm not giving you a FP, I love that place. I'd call that a reward for being good.

Good craft beers on tap, good pizza and hoagies, good vibes!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: June 25, 2018, 06:24:53 AM »
This place has gotten soft. I'm so very disappointed in all of you.

...I still have one tasty slice left.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #820 on: June 26, 2018, 05:41:15 AM »

I'd have given you a FP if you had ingredients for a pizza in the house, an oven, and electricity, but still ordered shitty pizza like HangryHuwies/Duminoes/PapJons/PitzaHutt.
Or if you went to MM everyday.
Hope you enjoyed that leftover slice for breakfast with some nice coffee.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #821 on: June 26, 2018, 09:41:44 AM »

I'd have given you a FP if you had ingredients for a pizza in the house, an oven, and electricity, but still ordered shitty pizza like HangryHuwies/Duminoes/PapJons/PitzaHutt.
Or if you went to MM everyday.
Hope you enjoyed that leftover slice for breakfast with some nice coffee.

That last slice was for lunch yesterday, and I'm pretty sure a choir of angels sang while I chomped down.

You're right, I get take out once or twice a month and the last time I had MM was...probably around this time last year. I will accept your generosity and forgiveness of my pizza sins.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #822 on: June 27, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »
I just spent almost 50$ on 2x 16oz bottles of fancy all-purpose soap. The same brand I usually buy for cheaper, and already overpriced, in stores, but hey, they are seasonal scents! If I don't buy them online and have them sent from Cali I'll miss out!
Well yes, I AM ashamed of myself.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #823 on: June 27, 2018, 08:12:42 AM »
I just spent almost 50$ on 2x 16oz bottles of fancy all-purpose soap. The same brand I usually buy for cheaper, and already overpriced, in stores, but hey, they are seasonal scents! If I don't buy them online and have them sent from Cali I'll miss out!

Money down the drain. 

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: June 27, 2018, 12:55:35 PM »

Money down the drain.

Personally, I'd lather spend the money on something else.

fordman302

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #825 on: July 02, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »

Money down the drain.

Nice! I logged in just to say I LOL'd at this.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #826 on: July 13, 2018, 09:44:32 AM »
Went to a rock show last night and spent quite bit more than is reasonable on beer (the venue's markup even on cheap beer is heavy).  I had a good time and danced my ass off, but I probably would have had as much fun not drinking beer, too.  I feel kinda dumb about it.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #827 on: July 17, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »

Money down the drain.

Nice! I logged in just to say I LOL'd at this.

Thanks. Every now and then I think up a good, clean pun.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #828 on: July 27, 2018, 10:53:26 AM »
I just bought a nonrefundable bus ticket for the wrong date. Leaves in an hour, so it's too short notice to even give it away probably.

I was just going over my credit card statement beating myself up for spending too much lately too.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:56:13 AM by neophyte »

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #829 on: August 21, 2018, 12:09:24 PM »
Maybe this isn't too bad.  I purchased a practice chanter (and instruction book) to learn . . . the bagpipes!  So far the damage is only a little over 100 bucks.  Next up, however, after I complete my course of self instruction, real bagpipes.  And a kilt.  $$$

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #830 on: August 22, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »
Maybe this isn't too bad.  I purchased a practice chanter (and instruction book) to learn . . . the bagpipes!  So far the damage is only a little over 100 bucks.  Next up, however, after I complete my course of self instruction, real bagpipes.  And a kilt.  $$$

That actually sounds pretty rad. Sorry, facepunch from me is withheld.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #831 on: August 23, 2018, 09:20:32 AM »

I think this is awesome. Definitely rent the bagpipes before you buy. Nothing worse than having some big, expensive musical instrument just laying around because your spouse threatens to leave if you keep playing it.

Bagpipes are cheap, divorces are expensive.

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Puppy
« Reply #832 on: August 23, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »
I'm stressing out about paying for school registrations, back to school stuff, paying off cc in full after nice vacation... but I adopted a puppy.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Re: Puppy
« Reply #833 on: August 24, 2018, 07:05:35 AM »
I'm stressing out about paying for school registrations, back to school stuff, paying off cc in full after nice vacation... but I adopted a puppy.

This is the perfect thread for you, Mel70!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #834 on: August 24, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »
I just bought a nonrefundable bus ticket for the wrong date. Leaves in an hour, so it's too short notice to even give it away probably.

I was just going over my credit card statement beating myself up for spending too much lately too.

We have made a few booking mistakes in the last year. Couple of hundred dollars of change fees each on airlines tickets. the dawning realization is an awful feeling.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #835 on: August 27, 2018, 09:10:14 PM »

We require pictures of your snuggle pup.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #836 on: August 27, 2018, 09:14:40 PM »

We require pictures of your snuggle pup.

Agreed. For... full evaluation of the face-punch worthiness of your actions?

Best excuse I've got.

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #837 on: August 28, 2018, 04:24:42 AM »
On behalf of all your neighbours/family/potential dates for the rest of your bagpipe-playing life, I facepunch you.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #838 on: August 28, 2018, 07:24:43 AM »
On behalf of all your neighbours/family/potential dates for the rest of your bagpipe-playing life, I facepunch you.

Thanks.  I told my teenage daughter that when I get the full set I'm going to play the bagpipes to call her downstairs for supper.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #839 on: August 28, 2018, 07:33:17 AM »
She might be half an hour early to avoid being serenaded. Seriously, congrats. Great challenge.

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #840 on: September 01, 2018, 02:04:17 PM »
Here's the pup... You tell me. :D

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #841 on: September 01, 2018, 02:07:43 PM »
Face punch, please.  Been on a spending moratorium for months and months, eating nothing but boiled lentils and grass clippings, leaving my clown car parked in the driveway, selling toys left and right on Craigslist, forgoing massages, facials, mani/pedi's, haircuts and so forth.  A week ago, on a sure-would-be-nice-to-feel-pretty-again whim, I stopped into a salon in Beverly Hills for a trim and some blonde-ing.  TOTALLY neglected to ask beforehand what they might charge for these services.  The answer?  So glad you asked.  Six hundred dollars.  Ka-POW!!!

WOW!!! Lesson learned. Was it worth it?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #842 on: September 01, 2018, 02:34:39 PM »
Here's the pup... You tell me. :D
*squeal*
No facepunches from me, but I also couldn't imagine my life without my dogs.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #843 on: September 01, 2018, 06:43:19 PM »
I fat fingered my phone number at Walgreens and lost $12 worth of points. I hope they go to someone who needs them.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #844 on: September 01, 2018, 08:54:15 PM »
I increased my 1GB Republic Wireless plan to 2GB. v-v I'm hoping I can rein it in soon and go back to 1 though. Connected is that husband went up to 2GB- he got a raise and it's something he's been wanting for a while. He plans to stay on the increase permanently. -o-

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #845 on: September 15, 2018, 12:17:55 AM »
I fat fingered my phone number at Walgreens and lost $12 worth of points. I hope they go to someone who needs them.
We can't hit you harder than you are doing yourself ;)

Me, I got me a Bose QC35 headset which set me back €379,-. The purpose was to reduce my overload issues with sound with its noise cancelling due to post-concussion syndrome. On the plus, my wife was snoring next to me and our 2,5 you old was making loud sounds in his sleep at 3 am which all fell away when I put one the cans.

They work but damn they are expensive!

miracho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #846 on: September 18, 2018, 03:52:18 PM »
Punch to myself for my older but still fancy audiotechnica headphones i bought to drown out office chatter before mini-retirement...alas.

Here's a bad one, bought a face wash and 2 lotions today. Wonder what MMM would say about this. Better work on my badassity...this is one of my toughest ones to work on.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #847 on: September 18, 2018, 06:36:37 PM »
Face punch, please.  Been on a spending moratorium for months and months, eating nothing but boiled lentils and grass clippings, leaving my clown car parked in the driveway, selling toys left and right on Craigslist, forgoing massages, facials, mani/pedi's, haircuts and so forth.  A week ago, on a sure-would-be-nice-to-feel-pretty-again whim, I stopped into a salon in Beverly Hills for a trim and some blonde-ing.  TOTALLY neglected to ask beforehand what they might charge for these services.  The answer?  So glad you asked.  Six hundred dollars.  Ka-POW!!!

Holy fuck. I didn't know hair could cost that much, that's more than I've spent on my hair in.... years. And I'm a woman for the record and a fairly girly one at that.

Related: I'm going to a very fancy resort for a work thing in a few months. The resort has a spa and I looked at the webpage out of curiosity, no prices listed. No prices means it's too much. I can't afford places that are so fancy they don't need to list a price.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #848 on: September 20, 2018, 05:47:14 AM »

Holy fuck. I didn't know hair could cost that much, that's more than I've spent on my hair in.... years. And I'm a woman for the record and a fairly girly one at that.

Related: I'm going to a very fancy resort for a work thing in a few months. The resort has a spa and I looked at the webpage out of curiosity, no prices listed. No prices means it's too much. I can't afford places that are so fancy they don't need to list a price.

Yup. My line is "If I can't see the price, I probably can't afford it."
I probably could afford it, I couldn't justify the purchase though.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #849 on: September 20, 2018, 07:31:07 AM »

This is actually a fairly useful heuristic.