Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 321291 times)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #650 on: May 08, 2017, 06:00:24 AM »
Had an accident on April 28. Minor fender bender, but the estimate of the repair slightly exceeded 80% of the car's value, so insurance wrote the car off. They're offering me $1500 over what I thought is fair value (based on KBB/NADA).
Now I'm trying to negotiate (via email) buying a used vehicle (2014-2015), but I've forgotten how to buy. Haven't purchased a personal vehicle of me since 2006. Or for family since 2009. I might buy from Carvana and skip the bullshit dealer 'documentation and government fees'. One quote had $450 Government fee, but a quick look at the FL DMV fee site doesn't show anything of this magnitude for a personal vehicle.
I hate shopping. For anything.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #651 on: May 08, 2017, 06:08:12 AM »
Just bought a weighted blanket ($189) and set up an appointment to get my car tinted this week ($200-$240). Both completely optional purchases...

Also bought a skydiving ticket and rental car for four days for my trip in Vancouver, but that was only $172 after splitting the rental car with friends. Could be worse I guess. It was cheaper to get the car than take a shuttle to skydiving, as long as one of those days has good weather.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #652 on: May 08, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
Had an accident on April 28. Minor fender bender, but the estimate of the repair slightly exceeded 80% of the car's value, so insurance wrote the car off. They're offering me $1500 over what I thought is fair value (based on KBB/NADA).
Now I'm trying to negotiate (via email) buying a used vehicle (2014-2015), but I've forgotten how to buy. Haven't purchased a personal vehicle of me since 2006. Or for family since 2009. I might buy from Carvana and skip the bullshit dealer 'documentation and government fees'. One quote had $450 Government fee, but a quick look at the FL DMV fee site doesn't show anything of this magnitude for a personal vehicle.

I'm shopping for the next car too. Am actually considering CarMax and Carvana despite their higher prices.

The dealer used car prices are all over the place. I have emailed a few and asked for their best prices and they avoid direct answers. "C'mon in and we'll see what we can do..." Makes we want to scream at them. i don't have time or desire to drive 100 miles that way or 80 miles the other way and play friggin' games with prices.

I didn't enjoy this ~20 yrs ago either (last time I dealt with a car dealer). That time the dealers I visited tried every single scheme in the book. Wasted HUGE amounts of my time and created alot of aggravation to save $5K.

At least we have things like CarFax to help. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:27:30 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #653 on: May 08, 2017, 10:05:23 PM »
Came home to find a puddle coming out of the garage door.  Open it up and find there's a stream of water.  My wife mentions that she's seen water on the floor for a few days.

>.<

Did you suggest that, in future, she mentions random patches of water rather than ignoring them?

*sigh* I did and she said she had told me about it before. I don't remember her saying it and probably thought she was really saying, "be careful" because she spilled water on the floor. Honestly, I don't even recall her ever mentioning the water until I brought it up, but she insists she said something before.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #654 on: May 09, 2017, 12:44:13 PM »

I'm shopping for the next car too. Am actually considering CarMax and Carvana despite their higher prices.

The dealer used car prices are all over the place. I have emailed a few and asked for their best prices and they avoid direct answers. "C'mon in and we'll see what we can do..." Makes we want to scream at them. i don't have time or desire to drive 100 miles that way or 80 miles the other way and play friggin' games with prices.

I didn't enjoy this ~20 yrs ago either (last time I dealt with a car dealer). That time the dealers I visited tried every single scheme in the book. Wasted HUGE amounts of my time and created alot of aggravation to save $5K.

We just bought a car for my husband and one dealership completely infuriated me. I asked them if the price on the website was the best they could do on a certain car because the other car I was looking at was about $1000 cheaper, but in a torn 30 miles away and I didn't feel like driving that night. Similar mileage and warranty. I told her I needed to know the exact lowest price so I could go to the bank before it closed for a cashiers check to buy the car. She said it was the lowest price they could do, but for me to come in anyway because sometimes when the manager can see someone in the showroom, they can work out a deal. When I pointed out how this didn't make sense since the online price was the best she could do she tried to back pedal... I can see how it would seem that way. Pissed me off. Bought the car from farther away and then sent her a photo of it when she emailed me to check in the next week.

Visited CarMax last night. Easiest interaction I have ever had with a business selling a car.

Dealer prices were higher than CarMax, no guarantee I could haggle a dealer below the CarMax price. They are letting me inspect it on their lift. I have 40 yrs of car repair so I know a few things. Makes me feel better anyhow. Carmax plus CarFax and I feel pretty confident about this thing.

Potentially a person could provide their own funds (or go in pre-approved with your own credit union) and buy a car in under 24 hrs without getting mad during the process. Just imagine that...

We'll aim to keep this one 20 yrs land pay it off way early just like the last one years ago.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #655 on: May 10, 2017, 08:11:18 AM »
Maybe it hinges on location and the popularity of what you want to buy. Their Subaru prices seemed high. $27K for a three year old that MSRP's for $27K new in the lower trim levels? Their car was an middle-ish trim level I think.

Dealer prices on what we wanted were $1K-$5K higher depending on the trim and I can't imagine I'd get much more of a discount from a dealer.

We'll keep it 15+ years like our other car.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:13:17 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #656 on: June 15, 2017, 07:57:17 AM »
I semi-impulse bought some Cutco knives from a booth at a festival last weekend. I'm finally at a point in my meager ability to cook that the Target specials that don't hold an edge past 3 slices isn't cutting it anymore. Err... no puns intended. I say semi-impulse because I have been in the market for good knives anyway.

I know they're not great knives, but they will hold an edge and I really liked the weight and balance. I like the ones I already have (they were in the drawer when I moved in). Plus, they have a lifetime guarantee, and somebody will come to my house once a year to sharpen them (including the serrated knives and shears). Overpriced, but I'm basically paying for somebody to take care of my knives for me, because I won't do it on my own (and I realize this is no different than paying somebody to do something like pulling weeds when you could do it yourself). Hopefully this becomes a BIFL situation at the very least.

aroberson77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #657 on: June 15, 2017, 08:35:04 AM »

We just bought a car for my husband and one dealership completely infuriated me. I asked them if the price on the website was the best they could do on a certain car because the other car I was looking at was about $1000 cheaper, but in a torn 30 miles away and I didn't feel like driving that night. Similar mileage and warranty. I told her I needed to know the exact lowest price so I could go to the bank before it closed for a cashiers check to buy the car. She said it was the lowest price they could do, but for me to come in anyway because sometimes when the manager can see someone in the showroom, they can work out a deal. When I pointed out how this didn't make sense since the online price was the best she could do she tried to back pedal... I can see how it would seem that way. Pissed me off. Bought the car from farther away and then sent her a photo of it when she emailed me to check in the next week.

Visited CarMax last night. Easiest interaction I have ever had with a business selling a car.

Dealer prices were higher than CarMax, no guarantee I could haggle a dealer below the CarMax price. They are letting me inspect it on their lift. I have 40 yrs of car repair so I know a few things. Makes me feel better anyhow. Carmax plus CarFax and I feel pretty confident about this thing.

Potentially a person could provide their own funds (or go in pre-approved with your own credit union) and buy a car in under 24 hrs without getting mad during the process. Just imagine that...

We'll aim to keep this one 20 yrs land pay it off way early just like the last one years ago.
We looked at Carmax. Got mad when we saw the car we wanted (make, model, year and within the mileage range) for 5k more than another dealership was advertising.

I don't think I would every buy a new car and I would probably never buy a car from carmax or any used car dealership.  I've bought my last two cars on craigslist.  I'm a car guy and I look over everything and then take it to a shop and see if they find anything, they usually want to sell you service so I think they are extra critical, its worth the $30 bucks or so.  I hate going to a dealer and knowing more about the car than the salesman and then get annoyed at them trying to act cool to you like they're big into cars too.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #658 on: June 22, 2017, 10:22:15 AM »
Bought tea from the snackbar at work for $1.20. I have both tea (bags and loose leaf) and an electric kettle at my desk. But I'm coming down with ick, and I don't have any make-me-feel better teas at my desk. Snackbar has them.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #659 on: June 22, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
Got sucked into attending two costly dinners (~ $100/person) with friends and family last weekend during a trip back home.  I tried suggesting reasonable places, BYO wine, but was outvoted on both occasions.  Our homies see our annual arrival in town as a reason to go out and celebrate.  Wish they'd offer a home-cooked meal instead, and we'd even offer to bring most of it.  Anyhoo, only a few more years until we move back for good.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #660 on: August 08, 2017, 08:28:35 AM »
I've been spending a little bit of real-life money on Pokemon GO. Pokemon is very near and dear to my heart (I met my husband through Pokemon), and spending a couple bucks to make sure we have ample opportunities to catch rare make-believe pixel monsters makes me genuinely happy (plus extra exercise and quality husband time). But I will accept face punches because I swore I'd never spend real money on a phone game.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #661 on: August 08, 2017, 09:19:09 AM »
Typical MMM Post

I spent $4.65 on a macchiato at Starbucks when I really just wanted a $3.65 cold brew.  But it was buy one get one free for macchiatos. Also, I gave the free one to my neighbor for his birthday.  Luckily, I used a gift card.  Oh yeah, and I made this purchase because I was awarded 150 stars to do so which equates to a free drink.

I bought a pair of $120 shoes.  But I used a 20% coupon and paid for them using credit card rewards ($100 value / paid $80). Luckily, Ebates had 12% cash back so I got that as well on the $100 value not the $80 I paid for the rewards.  Oh and I signed up for their mailer to receive free shipping (-$8)

Real FacePunch Me post

I just spent over $400 on rocks.  Yes, rocks... Not a diamond... Not an emerald.  $400 on rocks to place in front of my house.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #662 on: August 08, 2017, 09:20:27 AM »
I've been spending a little bit of real-life money on Pokemon GO. Pokemon is very near and dear to my heart (I met my husband through Pokemon), and spending a couple bucks to make sure we have ample opportunities to catch rare make-believe pixel monsters makes me genuinely happy (plus extra exercise and quality husband time). But I will accept face punches because I swore I'd never spend real money on a phone game.

What level are you?  Raid passes aren't cheap and XP isn't easy to get without raid passes!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #663 on: August 08, 2017, 11:17:19 AM »

What level are you?  Raid passes aren't cheap and XP isn't easy to get without raid passes!

Just a hair under 30. But I did not want to miss the Legendary Birds, which meant buying extra Raid Passes. Gyms are very hard to hold around here, so I have very few coins (and my phone can't even handle gym battles or raids--I have to use my husband's phone). If there aren't any time-limited Pokemon to catch, I'm happy enough with my daily free pass.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #664 on: August 10, 2017, 09:52:27 PM »
Damn, I love it when someone posts on this thread! I've said it here before, but I still miss Serpentstooth. Lately I've been imaginating that she's here under a assumed name. When one of you NYC folks who knows her IRL reads this, please tell her I miss her like crazy. I know I've changed my name, but she's so damn smart, she'll figure it out.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #665 on: August 10, 2017, 10:21:19 PM »
I spent $400 on a pair of Jimmy Choo black patent leather pumps.

In my defence, I got them on sale at half prize and through a shopping portal so I'll get 4 air miles per dollar spent and I can wear these to work for the next couple of years at least (I only wear them at work not to and fro)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #666 on: August 11, 2017, 01:13:46 AM »

In my defence, I got them on sale at half prize and through a shopping portal so I'll get 4 air miles per dollar spent and I can wear these to work for the next couple of years at least (I only wear them at work not to and fro)

I don't get it, $400 for Jimmy Choo or $100 for another brand of quality shoes that could also last you years. Can you actually see on the outside that they ar Jimmy Choo's or are they too small to show the brand?

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #667 on: August 11, 2017, 07:24:59 AM »
Spent $30 on a pool tournament last week, ended up losing both matches (double elimination). Oops. Though to be fair, I had a good shot at $100 for the top lady since there was only one other girl in the tournament out of 45 people.

Also lost $20 in a tournament the week before.

Probably gonna play again tomorrow but at least I've actually been practicing this week!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #668 on: August 11, 2017, 07:40:19 AM »

Holy **** people still play Pokemon Go?  That's still a thing?

Met your husband through Pokemon or Pokemon Go?  PG has only been out for about 14-15 months, right?

That said, I don't know how much you're spending.  Everyone has little guilty pleasures - as long as they aren't recurring/consistent and/or huge $ amounts, it's ok in my view as long as you're hitting your savings rate goals.  Gotta enjoy the journey a little bit.

Mine in the past has been Clash of Clans (I'm a near-original clasher, signed up just a couple months after it debuted) but they've changed the game so much that I'm closer to deleting the app than spending money on it.  Don't think I spent more than $75-$80 on it over 4-5 years -> ended up spending my iTunes gift cards on it since I get most of my music from streaming apps.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #669 on: August 11, 2017, 08:08:10 AM »

Holy **** people still play Pokemon Go?  That's still a thing?

Met your husband through Pokemon or Pokemon Go?  PG has only been out for about 14-15 months, right?

That said, I don't know how much you're spending.  Everyone has little guilty pleasures - as long as they aren't recurring/consistent and/or huge $ amounts, it's ok in my view as long as you're hitting your savings rate goals.  Gotta enjoy the journey a little bit.

Mine in the past has been Clash of Clans (I'm a near-original clasher, signed up just a couple months after it debuted) but they've changed the game so much that I'm closer to deleting the app than spending money on it.  Don't think I spent more than $75-$80 on it over 4-5 years -> ended up spending my iTunes gift cards on it since I get most of my music from streaming apps.

It has a pretty consistent fanbase, plus there has been a lot of renewed interest due to the anniversary events and the limited-release legendary birds. Hubs and I met through a Pokemon card game league in 1999. We had a Pokeball cake for our wedding.

We've spent less than $15 between the two of us, and likely won't spend anymore unless there are more limited-duration Pokemon. We would have spent less but we had some transactions glitch and double--decided to keep the in-game currency and use it rather than deal with customer service. It was only a couple of bucks anyway. I'd say we've had way more than $15 worth of fun over the past year+, so the ROI is good.

That said, I've gotten 3 Starbucks chai lattes this week. A bit of a guilty pleasure, and my home-brewed version just doesn't taste quite right. I'll get ~1.5 free drinks for them. I only really do it when I can maximize stars. But so much sugar!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #670 on: August 11, 2017, 08:21:02 AM »
^I must have been the only person I knew in the late '90s not to get into Pokemon haha.  That's a cool story for you guys, though.

I was somewhat familiar with a few characters through Super Smash Bros.  I jumped on the Pokemon Go bandwagon last summer but nearly all of our friends stopped playing within a couple months.  All of the "OMG I'm doing this for Halloween this year!" ideas faded before Halloween hit lol.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #671 on: August 11, 2017, 09:44:49 AM »
I stuffed $50 in my back pocket the other day and somehow it worked its way out as I was biking home.  Dang slippery plastic Canadian bills.  What's worse is I distinctly recall someone calling out to me on my ride but I ignored them, thinking they were just bike-haters or crazy or both (there are a lot of all those types around here).

To atone, I've been scrounging for returnable bottles, and things to sell on kijiji.  I've just about made up the loss, but my stupidity still pisses me off.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:54:58 PM by meghan88 »

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #672 on: August 11, 2017, 04:24:24 PM »

I don't get it, $400 for Jimmy Choo or $100 for another brand of quality shoes that could also last you years. Can you actually see on the outside that they ar Jimmy Choo's or are they too small to show the brand?
You can't see on the outside they're Jimmy Choo's.
The Jimmy Choos can be resoled as they have leather soles, I have another pair that I've had for 10 years and resoled twice, the $100 shoes can't as they are not usually leather soles.

Are the shoes 4 times better than $100 shoes? Probably not, that's why I'm posting in the facepunch me post.

Facepunch accepted.

BigFatherA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #673 on: August 12, 2017, 10:47:51 AM »
One reason for liking Birkenstocks: You can replace the soles, especially when you have uneven wear due to your walk...
They also run about $100, not $400.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #674 on: August 12, 2017, 12:24:54 PM »
Feeling pretty stingy right now, but this bothers me.

I bought a tub of quark that was about to expire, marked down from .5 to 0.25.

Came home and started to jot down what I bought in my excel sheet. Only to find out that i accidentally scanned the original bar code, not the new marked down one.

I payed the .5!

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #675 on: August 13, 2017, 07:12:50 AM »
One reason for liking Birkenstocks: You can replace the soles, especially when you have uneven wear due to your walk...
They also run about $100, not $400.
I have 100,- Ecco shoes with a rubber sole, they got resolved after 2 years because one of the soles had a hole (probably tread on something sharp). I still wear them daily and love those shoes :D
I even have colleagues who buy the same model new and like mine better (because I polish them regularly).

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #676 on: August 15, 2017, 06:17:53 AM »
Adopted a second dog. 5 year old Blue Fawn APBT desperately in need of a home, as her owner was relocating. She is perfectly house trained, gets along great with my two-year-old Red Nose APBT, and follows me everywhere with her tail wagging.

Go ahead. Face punch me. It's worth it.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #677 on: August 15, 2017, 06:46:15 AM »
Facepunch for not saving a little extra for something petty or perhaps facepunch for putting up with too much crap when I have the money not to?

Live in landlord got mad at me for not cleaning up after his kitten that made a mess with my toilet paper, so he tried to revoke my w/d and kitchen appliance use as "punishment". Sent him some legal stuff and he got pissed that he was wrong so he tried to retaliate further by making rules like saying I have to remove my cats in 30 days, can't ever change the thermostat even though I pay half, and other petty stuff. I ended up giving my 30 day notice (a little earlier than planned) so I will have to pay more at the new apartment before my friend moves in with me to split rent. But I probably should have moved out a while ago anyway. But then again I just lost $200 because I didn't vacuum up some toilet paper. Meh.

To be fair, I was supposed to rent a house by myself <10 miles from work but it fell through with less than a month left to find a new place...
So I did try.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #678 on: August 18, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »
So my wife and her parents conned me into showing up at a theatre event last night. Turns out the event was about buying season tickets. My FIL has difficulty hearing, my MIL is afraid of heights, and I don't ever want to spend money on anything.

So my wife is basically having to engage in triple negotiation to get all of this worked out. Ultimately, it'll be about $700 for us to see five shows, with the in-laws kicking in about $300 for the premiums in our tickets to move us into places in the theatre that will accommodate their issues.

Looking back, it should have been obvious to me that this event would involve spending money. Oh, and I also bought a $5 Heineken to drink while all of this happened. It seems really mustachian to worry about the $5 beer you drink while buying five rounds of $70 theatre tickets.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #679 on: August 18, 2017, 10:11:57 AM »
I spent over $800 on two pair of custom orthotics. I saw an podiatrist to check out an issue with my achilles tendon. He pointed out that my left arch was collapsing and I was getting bunions on both feet, and recommended orthotics. I'd noticed the slight bulges at the joints of my big toes, but because they never hurt, I thought they were just part of the normal shape of my foot. Did some research on bunions and got scared. They can be quite debilitating, and the there's a long recovery time from bunion surgery. Researched orthotics, and decided to go for the custom jobs. My insurance doesn't cover them, so I footed the whole bill. I can certainly afford it, but after I got them and used them for awhile, I got a mad at myself. I think I could have bought generic foot beds and got the same result. But I let fear get the best of me, didn't want to mess around with foot problems, and figured that more money would mean a better result.

When I went for my follow-up with the podiatrist, I mentioned that the orthotics don't fit well in my work shoes, they take up too much room. He then tried to sell me a more generic set with thinner pads for my work shoes for $100. That really ticked me off!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #680 on: August 18, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »
I spent over $800 on two pair of custom orthotics. I saw an podiatrist to check out an issue with my achilles tendon. He pointed out that my left arch was collapsing and I was getting bunions on both feet, and recommended orthotics. I'd noticed the slight bulges at the joints of my big toes, but because they never hurt, I thought they were just part of the normal shape of my foot. Did some research on bunions and got scared. They can be quite debilitating, and the there's a long recovery time from bunion surgery. Researched orthotics, and decided to go for the custom jobs. My insurance doesn't cover them, so I footed the whole bill. I can certainly afford it, but after I got them and used them for awhile, I got a mad at myself. I think I could have bought generic foot beds and got the same result. But I let fear get the best of me, didn't want to mess around with foot problems, and figured that more money would mean a better result.

When I went for my follow-up with the podiatrist, I mentioned that the orthotics don't fit well in my work shoes, they take up too much room. He then tried to sell me a more generic set with thinner pads for my work shoes for $100. That really ticked me off!
I see what you did there. Seriously, I'd bet that anyone who's needed bunion surgery (I'm looking at you, DH) would have preferred to go the orthotics route. Since foot health is important to your whole skeletal structure, I'm good with engaging professional services. Your future self will consider it money well spent.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #681 on: August 18, 2017, 10:55:31 AM »
I dunno if that's a facepunch thing so much as a "life sucks" thing. I've spent easily over $1000 on orthotics and special shoes and etc. plus several hundred on PT, and none of it worked well enough, so I'm having surgery on  both feet. But what else can you do?

Medical stuff is expensive, but you can't blame yourself. That's why it's good to be mustachian, so you have money to spend on your health without having to beat yourself up or agonize over whether it's worth it. You made the best choices you could.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #682 on: August 18, 2017, 11:19:49 AM »
Thanks Dicey and Dollar Slice. I'm at that age (55) where damage I've unknowingly done to my body is starting to show up. Had two shoulder surgeries last year, plus a heart procedure (twice!) for an electrical problem I never knew I had until I got older. Yes, it is nice to have the money to take care of these things!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #683 on: August 18, 2017, 11:36:37 AM »

I see what you did there. Seriously, I'd bet that anyone who's needed bunion surgery (I'm looking at you, DH) would have preferred to go the orthotics route. Since foot health is important to your whole skeletal structure, I'm good with engaging professional services. Your future self will consider it money well spent.

Now I'm nervous...I broke one of my big toes a few years ago and never went to the doctor. It doesn't bend or support weight like it's supposed to. Now I'm paranoid that this is going to cause serious issues down the road.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #684 on: August 18, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »
Now I'm nervous...I broke one of my big toes a few years ago and never went to the doctor. It doesn't bend or support weight like it's supposed to. Now I'm paranoid that this is going to cause serious issues down the road.

Get it checked out! I hurt my shoulder several times in my 20s, and never went to a doctor. Paid for it last year. Some professional care at the time of injury might have lessened the damage, which now includes arthritis.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #685 on: August 18, 2017, 01:00:56 PM »
I dunno if that's a facepunch thing so much as a "life sucks" thing. I've spent easily over $1000 on orthotics and special shoes and etc. plus several hundred on PT, and none of it worked well enough, so I'm having surgery on  both feet. But what else can you do?

I had surgery (metatarsal lapidus+Akin osteotomy+4th toe hammertoe correction) to fix the congenital bunion on my left foot when I was 23, after several years of worsening pain. Never bothered with orthotics because the doc said I'd have to get surgery sooner or later, so why prolong the pain and risk further damage and complications? Plus the young recover from surgery much better. No regrets at all.

My right foot, on the other hand, also has a congenital bunion and has never gotten as bad. But if it starts to threaten, I will definitely try orthotics first because it's not nearly as painful as the left foot was.

I spent over $800 on two pair of custom orthotics. I saw an podiatrist to check out an issue with my achilles tendon. He pointed out that my left arch was collapsing and I was getting bunions on both feet, and recommended orthotics. I'd noticed the slight bulges at the joints of my big toes, but because they never hurt, I thought they were just part of the normal shape of my foot. Did some research on bunions and got scared. They can be quite debilitating, and the there's a long recovery time from bunion surgery. 

$800 is definitely cheaper and less painful than surgery. That said, depending on the bunion and surgery type, recovery can be fairly quick and (comparatively) painless. I had a teacher who was weight bearing in 2 weeks. (I was non-weight bearing for 10 weeks and partial for another 3.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:05:15 PM by Inaya »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #686 on: August 18, 2017, 01:37:42 PM »

I had surgery (metatarsal lapidus+Akin osteotomy+4th toe hammertoe correction) to fix the congenital bunion on my left foot when I was 23, after several years of worsening pain. Never bothered with orthotics because the doc said I'd have to get surgery sooner or later, so why prolong the pain and risk further damage and complications? Plus the young recover from surgery much better. No regrets at all.

My problem is degenerative. Every doctor I consulted wanted to postpone surgery and try different shoes and orthotics first to keep it tolerable as long as possible. I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake to wait this long, but I saw two different surgeons (fall 2015 and spring 2016) and neither thought it was time to operate. I figure if someone who operates for a living doesn't think you need an operation yet, they're probably right.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #687 on: August 18, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »

My problem is degenerative. Every doctor I consulted wanted to postpone surgery and try different shoes and orthotics first to keep it tolerable as long as possible. I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake to wait this long, but I saw two different surgeons (fall 2015 and spring 2016) and neither thought it was time to operate. I figure if someone who operates for a living doesn't think you need an operation yet, they're probably right.

Agreed. Lots of people (without medical degrees) told me not to go for the surgery without trying orthotics and other non-surgical avenues, but I went with the opinion of the guy who specializes in feet, thank you very much. (Incidentally, I had the same non-medical opinions about my debilitating gallstones. Maybe my social circle is afraid of surgery?)

If/when my right foot decides it's done behaving, I'll probably do the same as you--keep it tolerable until surgery is required. My left foot was not anything near tolerable.

Back on topic. Facepunch me: I ate McDonalds for dinner last night and breakfast this morning. My inner 8 year old demanded it.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #688 on: August 28, 2017, 01:27:29 PM »
I went to see Wonder Woman yesterday with a friend and spent $24.  I didn't get any of the overpriced goodies at the concession stand.  I enjoyed the movie I hadn't seen one in the theater since The Hobbit Part One.  Please facepunch me..

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #689 on: August 29, 2017, 10:34:29 PM »
I went to see Wonder Woman yesterday with a friend and spent $24.  I didn't get any of the overpriced goodies at the concession stand.  I enjoyed the movie I hadn't seen one in the theater since The Hobbit Part One.  Please facepunch me..

Why?

Did you take out a payday loan to afford it or short your MIL her medication this week to make the dollar stretch?
Please tell us why $24 matters to you and why it is facepunch worthy.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #690 on: August 30, 2017, 09:21:46 AM »
We had food delivered last night.  And it was fantastic. 

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #691 on: August 31, 2017, 06:37:19 AM »
I was picking up a prescription and paid with a regular card. Got to home, and realized my HSA card was in my wallet the whole time. Could have saved $3.50 in taxes.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #692 on: August 31, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »
I just hadn't had a facepunch in so long I felt unloved without one. 

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #693 on: September 02, 2017, 03:53:45 PM »
I went on vacation and just decided YOLO. I went to Busch Gardens from the moment it opened to the moment it closed, I paid for a snorkeling boat tour and I shelled out $275 for sky diving and I went cloth shopping (Okay, I actually needed the clothes, work pants, a cardigan and a button down shirt), but I also bought about $60 worth of makeup that I absolutely didn't need, not because I hoard makeup, but I rarely wear it!

To be fair, I did stay at a cheap ass air Bn'B for 5 days at $190, but get this, I had enough travel points to pay for this crap, I could have stayed at an even better place for free, but I did drive there as it was only 4 hours away and on my Honda fit that was $15 worth of gas.

Also, vacation messed up my cooking time and I haven't cooked in three weeks and I am ashamed at how much I have spent at starbucks.

Conclusion: Not one bit of regret. I did not realize how much I needed to just let go and not worry about anything. I enjoyed being by myself, letting my mind be at ease and just thinking about my future in the sweet company of myself. I also had a blast.

The starbucks part, I am ashamed. I normally buy a pound of coffee and just use my French press.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #694 on: September 06, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »
Rimu05, it sounds like you're completely out of control. Let's meet at King's Island Theme park for a Mustachian intervention.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #695 on: October 07, 2017, 06:27:41 PM »

Same. Technically it deserves a face punch, but playing Pokemon Go has kept me sane this year as well as got me into far more exercise than I would otherwise have done. (for eg I once accidentally put a 10k egg in the wrong incubator which pissed me off so I walked 10km in one day just to hatch it and free up the incubator for 2k eggs)

I've also become part of a local Pokemon Go community (there are about 500 of us all connected on FB Messenger) and that has been a lot of fun meeting randoms for legendary raids.

Edit: I was never into Pokemon before this but PoGo is excellent.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #696 on: October 10, 2017, 08:15:01 AM »
I was picking up a prescription and paid with a regular card. Got to home, and realized my HSA card was in my wallet the whole time. Could have saved $3.50 in taxes.

You can reimburse yourself...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #697 on: October 16, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
No use complaining when all I have to do is find that receipt. Face punch accepted.

Meanwhile, the investment side of my HSA is *Killing it*. And I don't even have it invested aggressively. I'd have made more money if I'd put it in SP500 instead of Vanguard Wellington.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #698 on: October 17, 2017, 07:56:38 AM »

FWIW:  the thing that has saved me is custom inserts from the running shoe store.  I have unusually high arches, and I had a whole series of foot and knee issues that got so bad I had to stop running.  Went to a podiatrist, who at least started me with the cheaper inserts.  At best, they were meh (e.g., the gel heel insert helped cushion the heel pain, but it didn't fix the achilles issue). 

Then someone told me I should try the running store.  The one near me does this whole workup where they look at your gait and take an impression of your foot, etc., so they can direct you to shoes that are designed for your particular body and issues.  But if the shoes themselves are not enough, they will sell you a custom insert: they take a firm orthotic, warm it up, and then conform it to your foot.  I was highly skeptical -- it's firm, not soft, so I didn't understand how that was going to help the pain in my foot that felt like it needed cushioning.  But wow -- I haven't had a foot or knee problem since (and it's been probably 6-7 years).

They are not cheap -- generally run about $80 for the pair -- but I now religiously put them in all of my shoes that I can fit them into.  Freaking miracle.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #699 on: October 17, 2017, 08:23:28 AM »
As you all know I finally switched from Android to Apple.  I ordered it through eBay assumed I had set up monthly payments through PayPal Credit for $40 a month for about 10 months then settled down to enjoy the SE and catch up on my games while smirking over all the RAM and no need for SD cards.  But I forgot uncheck automatic payments under the options for paying PayPal Credit so imagine my surprise when I saw I had no balance because they were going to take it all out at once in the next week!  After mumbling and quivering a little since I had scheduled another bill to be paid which would have sent the checking into eternal overdrafts until the next payday which would have shorted me even more I decided to make a savings withdrawal to cover it.  On the upside I owe nothing on the phone now but I think I deserve a facepunch for not making sure payments didn't come all at once.  And yes the box has now been unchecked.