Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 121860 times)

11ducks

• Bristles
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #650 on: February 26, 2017, 11:10:38 PM »
Developed a slight addiction to Zambreros (awesome Mexican food) and wasted way too much money (and carbs) this year too!

Zambrero is so, so good. I'm lucky that there isn't one near home or work for me - I think I'd end up getting it once a fortnight or more frequently if it was convenient. As it is, I get it once every few months and REALLY enjoy it.

Mine is situated between my house and my work, easy walking distance from each. I pass by it after bootcamp at dinner time 3x a week too. It's got a hold on me!
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

wauske

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #651 on: March 01, 2017, 06:21:51 AM »
I need help guys!

1. Spent 1250,- last month on a new matras because I slept really badly on the current one. The cash was meant for bringing down the mortgage though...
2. After that, we spent another 1250,- on curtains for the living room (which we saw while browsing on the way back from buying the matras). To be fair, the current curtains are quite literally falling apart and were free because they were part of the house when we bought it. They work but that about says it all, even my mom (who is quite on the mustachian spectrum) asked me if the curtains were getting a refit?!

WTF are those curtains made of?! I really hope you've typo'd an extra 0 on there.
Mattresses are another matter, if you can't get a good night's sleep that's an issue that can affect your health, but window coverings are hardly worth dropping a fortune on?!
They're made of fabric, quite cheap stuff too when compared to other suppliers (we did shop around quite a bit). Cost isn't just fabric but also made to size and hung (with new rails and such). I don't mind DIY'ing stuff but livingroom curtains is something we look at daily for 10+ years, quality matters in this case.
I did DIY a set of curtains in my previous appartment with a total cost of about 100,- (but also about 1/4th the size of what we need now) but it was just so damn ugly... The only reason I didn't renew them with better stuff is because it was the bedroom and we sold the appartment a year later.

However, all that is justification and I damn wel know it :(

A definite WTF on the curtains. I have gotten very nice living room curtains for $30 or less per pair. And you can get a king mattress from Tuft & Needle for $750.
I don't have Tuft and Needle over here (mainland europe). And I didn't buy from the cheapest source either because I wanted to lie down on it and check how it compared. Also, if the matress doesn't agree with me I can swap the core for minimal cost which isn't possible with the same matress bought online.
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #652 on: March 12, 2017, 06:05:11 PM »
Paid $70 for a bumper for my car. 100% aesthetic reasons. And the best part is that it has to be painted, so I'm definitely set up for plastidip now which is even more money...

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #653 on: March 12, 2017, 10:46:46 PM »
You can buy color matched rattle can paint and paint it yourself.

Dicey

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #654 on: March 12, 2017, 11:04:57 PM »
OMG, TP, where are you from? We tend to call it spray paint in my neck of the woods, but I like your name better. Much better. Laughing now.
I did it! I have a journal!
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/a-lot-like-this/
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #655 on: March 13, 2017, 06:22:35 AM »
OMG, TP, where are you from? We tend to call it spray paint in my neck of the woods, but I like your name better. Much better. Laughing now.
This be "sprayer paint" from El Goog:
https://goo.gl/HjrkqB

This be "rattle can paint" from them search algos:
https://goo.gl/yiBRvf
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #656 on: March 13, 2017, 07:24:33 AM »

Plastidip is already pretty cheap and I would prefer to do the whole car because I don't like the current color anyway. Plus it would protect the paint. It would be $200 or so for the reusable sprayer (might be able to find someone that has one though) and another $250 or so for the paint.

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #657 on: March 13, 2017, 09:28:02 AM »
I've seen the Plasti-Dip paint jobs. They can look good. Any idea how long it lasts? The one vehicle I knew that was painted this way was sold a year or so later. I hoped it would be a test case for that kind of paint for me. I know there is temporary paint for car wheels for folks that like to change the color from time to time.

An cheap alternative would be to buy quart cans of Rustoleum (or the equivalent) for $15 and paint a car using a foam roller/brush or using a small spray gun from HF. I have had very good luck with that sort of paint on things. Never painted a car with it but have painted bicycles using it. The trick is to understand that the paint is very delicate for several weeks afterwards until it completely hardens. Internet provides plenty of pics of this method. I used an acrylic enamel paint on a vehicle I own when I wanted to neaten up its appearance. Lasted a decade plus.

Real automotive paint uses some serious chemicals to harden the paint very quickly by comparison. Automotive paint is much tougher and more durable and much, much more expensive. The rattle can touchup paint is affordable. Might cost you a couple of cans of primer and a couple of cans of color to match the rest of the car.

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #658 on: March 13, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »
I bought pants from a place that was not a consignment store. (But I will admit the fabric is incredibly soft and lovely!) At least they were from the clearance rack.

I also bought a necklace from a local shop, and a slice of delicious pizza. I am a spendy, spendy thing that spends. :(

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #659 on: March 13, 2017, 09:40:53 AM »
I've seen the Plasti-Dip paint jobs. They can look good. Any idea how long it lasts? The one vehicle I knew that was painted this way was sold a year or so later. I hoped it would be a test case for that kind of paint for me. I know there is temporary paint for car wheels for folks that like to change the color from time to time.

An cheap alternative would be to buy quart cans of Rustoleum (or the equivalent) for $15 and paint a car using a foam roller/brush or using a small spray gun from HF. I have had very good luck with that sort of paint on things. Never painted a car with it but have painted bicycles using it. The trick is to understand that the paint is very delicate for several weeks afterwards until it completely hardens. Internet provides plenty of pics of this method. I used an acrylic enamel paint on a vehicle I own when I wanted to neaten up its appearance. Lasted a decade plus.

Real automotive paint uses some serious chemicals to harden the paint very quickly by comparison. Automotive paint is much tougher and more durable and much, much more expensive. The rattle can touchup paint is affordable. Might cost you a couple of cans of primer and a couple of cans of color to match the rest of the car.

The current paint is in very good condition so I definitely am not replacing it with a permanent but cheap paint job. Hence the plastidip because it can be peeled AND protects from minor scratches and dings. Plastidip can last 3+ years, but by then I'd probably try a new color. For only $300 or so for the whole car, it's very cheap. Still not mustachian though. It might be if you're selling the car, I heard of people selling a car for a good bit more because of how awesome the car looked with plastidip, even with the seller telling people it wasn't permanent.

Also, you will want to hand wash only to protect the plastidip the longest. Either way I would never go to a car wash with regular paint anyway because it scratches it to hell.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:44:04 AM by marielle »

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #660 on: March 13, 2017, 01:52:52 PM »
Thanks for the insight.

Dicey

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #661 on: March 13, 2017, 09:50:06 PM »

Nope, no, nope. A paint sprayer is a piece of equment that projects paint that comes from a bucket. Um, yes, there is one in our garage. DH is a painting contractor. That means we get to have a truck, too. White Ford F150, like every other truck in the paint store parking lot. He bought it brand-new, too. Fifteen years ago, lol!

"Spray Paint", courtesy of el goog (stealing that, though I like google-fu, too) looks like this:

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=980&bih=735&q=spray+paint+can&oq=Spray+paint&gs_l=img.1.2.0l10.3457.7940.0.13180.12.8.0.4.4.0.254.1216.0j6j1.7.0....0...1ac.1j4.64.img..1.11.1277.0..35i39k1.lWmPC0gKDy8

Remarkably like your "Rattle Can". Love that. It sounds like what it is. Onomatopoeia.

+ You very funny, jinga nation.
I did it! I have a journal!
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/a-lot-like-this/
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #662 on: March 15, 2017, 06:58:15 PM »

This is what came to mind when I read "rattle can"

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #663 on: April 21, 2017, 01:12:25 PM »
Unicorn Frappuccino.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Marty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #664 on: April 21, 2017, 01:38:25 PM »
Unicorn Frappuccino.

The DW bought one the other day!  It was pretty but I didn't like how sour it was.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #665 on: April 21, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »
Unicorn Frappuccino.

The DW bought one the other day!  It was pretty but I didn't like how sour it was.
I loved it! That said, one per lifetime is probably enough. However, I would happily consume a bottle of that "blue sauce."
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

FIT_Goat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #666 on: May 02, 2017, 06:58:46 PM »
Came home to find a puddle coming out of the garage door.  Open it up and find there's a stream of water.  My wife mentions that she's seen water on the floor for a few days.  I track it down and it's the AC unit.  It's dripping like crazy.  I shut it down, and my wife starts panicking.  She can't fathom a night without AC.  She insists on calling a company out, tonight, to deal with it.  I make some calls.  Shop around and the best we can do is a $50 fee for coming out, plus whatever it will cost for the repairs and parts.  We agree to that.

Five minutes before the guy shows up, I am talking with my friend and she's like, "Did you try and shop-vac the drain line?  It's probably that."  I hadn't.  I knew to do that, but with my wife panicking and boxes of paper literally soaked into the floor, it didn't occur to me.

The guy showed up.  It was a clogged drain line.  He took his shop-vac to it.  Cleared it right out.  It was a five minute fix.

Emergency call out: $50
Vacuuming the drain: $95
Total cost: $145

That amount of stupidity hurts.  It will come out of the house maintenance fund, but it is wasted money.  Tomorrow I need to get out there and throw out the ruined boxes.  On the bright side, the reason those boxes hadn't been unpacked is because it was unimportant papers (old work related stuff) that should have been thrown out anyway.  I have to finally toss them.  So, it helps declutter things.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #667 on: May 08, 2017, 04:50:39 AM »
Came home to find a puddle coming out of the garage door.  Open it up and find there's a stream of water.  My wife mentions that she's seen water on the floor for a few days.

>.<

Did you suggest that, in future, she mentions random patches of water rather than ignoring them?

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #668 on: May 08, 2017, 06:00:24 AM »
Had an accident on April 28. Minor fender bender, but the estimate of the repair slightly exceeded 80% of the car's value, so insurance wrote the car off. They're offering me $1500 over what I thought is fair value (based on KBB/NADA).
Now I'm trying to negotiate (via email) buying a used vehicle (2014-2015), but I've forgotten how to buy. Haven't purchased a personal vehicle of me since 2006. Or for family since 2009. I might buy from Carvana and skip the bullshit dealer 'documentation and government fees'. One quote had $450 Government fee, but a quick look at the FL DMV fee site doesn't show anything of this magnitude for a personal vehicle.
I hate shopping. For anything.
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #669 on: May 08, 2017, 06:08:12 AM »
Just bought a weighted blanket ($189) and set up an appointment to get my car tinted this week ($200-$240). Both completely optional purchases...

Also bought a skydiving ticket and rental car for four days for my trip in Vancouver, but that was only $172 after splitting the rental car with friends. Could be worse I guess. It was cheaper to get the car than take a shuttle to skydiving, as long as one of those days has good weather.

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #670 on: May 08, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
Had an accident on April 28. Minor fender bender, but the estimate of the repair slightly exceeded 80% of the car's value, so insurance wrote the car off. They're offering me $1500 over what I thought is fair value (based on KBB/NADA).
Now I'm trying to negotiate (via email) buying a used vehicle (2014-2015), but I've forgotten how to buy. Haven't purchased a personal vehicle of me since 2006. Or for family since 2009. I might buy from Carvana and skip the bullshit dealer 'documentation and government fees'. One quote had $450 Government fee, but a quick look at the FL DMV fee site doesn't show anything of this magnitude for a personal vehicle.

I'm shopping for the next car too. Am actually considering CarMax and Carvana despite their higher prices.

The dealer used car prices are all over the place. I have emailed a few and asked for their best prices and they avoid direct answers. "C'mon in and we'll see what we can do..." Makes we want to scream at them. i don't have time or desire to drive 100 miles that way or 80 miles the other way and play friggin' games with prices.

I didn't enjoy this ~20 yrs ago either (last time I dealt with a car dealer). That time the dealers I visited tried every single scheme in the book. Wasted HUGE amounts of my time and created alot of aggravation to save $5K.

At least we have things like CarFax to help. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:27:30 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #671 on: May 08, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »

I'm shopping for the next car too. Am actually considering CarMax and Carvana despite their higher prices.

The dealer used car prices are all over the place. I have emailed a few and asked for their best prices and they avoid direct answers. "C'mon in and we'll see what we can do..." Makes we want to scream at them. i don't have time or desire to drive 100 miles that way or 80 miles the other way and play friggin' games with prices.

I didn't enjoy this ~20 yrs ago either (last time I dealt with a car dealer). That time the dealers I visited tried every single scheme in the book. Wasted HUGE amounts of my time and created alot of aggravation to save $5K.

We just bought a car for my husband and one dealership completely infuriated me. I asked them if the price on the website was the best they could do on a certain car because the other car I was looking at was about $1000 cheaper, but in a torn 30 miles away and I didn't feel like driving that night. Similar mileage and warranty. I told her I needed to know the exact lowest price so I could go to the bank before it closed for a cashiers check to buy the car. She said it was the lowest price they could do, but for me to come in anyway because sometimes when the manager can see someone in the showroom, they can work out a deal. When I pointed out how this didn't make sense since the online price was the best she could do she tried to back pedal... I can see how it would seem that way. Pissed me off. Bought the car from farther away and then sent her a photo of it when she emailed me to check in the next week.

FIT_Goat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #672 on: May 08, 2017, 10:05:23 PM »
Came home to find a puddle coming out of the garage door.  Open it up and find there's a stream of water.  My wife mentions that she's seen water on the floor for a few days.

>.<

Did you suggest that, in future, she mentions random patches of water rather than ignoring them?

*sigh* I did and she said she had told me about it before. I don't remember her saying it and probably thought she was really saying, "be careful" because she spilled water on the floor. Honestly, I don't even recall her ever mentioning the water until I brought it up, but she insists she said something before.

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #673 on: May 09, 2017, 12:44:13 PM »

We just bought a car for my husband and one dealership completely infuriated me. I asked them if the price on the website was the best they could do on a certain car because the other car I was looking at was about $1000 cheaper, but in a torn 30 miles away and I didn't feel like driving that night. Similar mileage and warranty. I told her I needed to know the exact lowest price so I could go to the bank before it closed for a cashiers check to buy the car. She said it was the lowest price they could do, but for me to come in anyway because sometimes when the manager can see someone in the showroom, they can work out a deal. When I pointed out how this didn't make sense since the online price was the best she could do she tried to back pedal... I can see how it would seem that way. Pissed me off. Bought the car from farther away and then sent her a photo of it when she emailed me to check in the next week.

Visited CarMax last night. Easiest interaction I have ever had with a business selling a car.

Dealer prices were higher than CarMax, no guarantee I could haggle a dealer below the CarMax price. They are letting me inspect it on their lift. I have 40 yrs of car repair so I know a few things. Makes me feel better anyhow. Carmax plus CarFax and I feel pretty confident about this thing.

Potentially a person could provide their own funds (or go in pre-approved with your own credit union) and buy a car in under 24 hrs without getting mad during the process. Just imagine that...

We'll aim to keep this one 20 yrs land pay it off way early just like the last one years ago.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #674 on: May 09, 2017, 02:21:56 PM »

Visited CarMax last night. Easiest interaction I have ever had with a business selling a car.

Dealer prices were higher than CarMax, no guarantee I could haggle a dealer below the CarMax price. They are letting me inspect it on their lift. I have 40 yrs of car repair so I know a few things. Makes me feel better anyhow. Carmax plus CarFax and I feel pretty confident about this thing.

Potentially a person could provide their own funds (or go in pre-approved with your own credit union) and buy a car in under 24 hrs without getting mad during the process. Just imagine that...

We'll aim to keep this one 20 yrs land pay it off way early just like the last one years ago.
We looked at Carmax. Got mad when we saw the car we wanted (make, model, year and within the mileage range) for 5k more than another dealership was advertising.

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #675 on: May 10, 2017, 08:11:18 AM »
Maybe it hinges on location and the popularity of what you want to buy. Their Subaru prices seemed high. $27K for a three year old that MSRP's for $27K new in the lower trim levels? Their car was an middle-ish trim level I think.

Dealer prices on what we wanted were $1K-$5K higher depending on the trim and I can't imagine I'd get much more of a discount from a dealer.

We'll keep it 15+ years like our other car.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:13:17 AM by Tasty Pinecones »