Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 132987 times)

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #350 on: February 26, 2016, 02:33:53 PM »
Because I'm a giant fail, I lost my bike again today. I parked it in the big bike parking 'garage' on the other side of the station. It took me almost fifteen minutes, because my brain thankfully kicked in then. I just looked up how big this parking place is... 4200 spaces across 3 floors. Note to self: remember floor + row number...

For stuff like that I send myself a text, then if I don't remember it later I have it in my text message history.

Otherwise you could get a big fluorescent pink flag attached to your bike that will make it easy to spot from across the garage. ;-)
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #351 on: February 26, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »
Because I'm a giant fail, I lost my bike again today. I parked it in the big bike parking 'garage' on the other side of the station. It took me almost fifteen minutes, because my brain thankfully kicked in then. I just looked up how big this parking place is... 4200 spaces across 3 floors. Note to self: remember floor + row number...

I wonder if your situation would be a good use case scenario for a RF locator product like Tile that could give you an audible alarm to help you search. (I have no firsthand experience but it sounds useful.) Otherwise, I'm a fan of using my phone to text or email myself a location reminder when I park my car in a large garage or lot.

Parizade

• Bristles
« Reply #352 on: February 26, 2016, 03:02:22 PM »

I wonder if your situation would be a good use case scenario for a RF locator product like Tile that could give you an audible alarm to help you search. (I have no firsthand experience but it sounds useful.) Otherwise, I'm a fan of using my phone to text or email myself a location reminder when I park my car in a large garage or lot.

I use my phone to snap a photo of my car in relation to level and row markings. Usually I only need to this at the airport when I am parking for several days in their HUGE ramp, but it's very effective.
The only things that really matter are music and the moon.

~Ellis Felker

awesomeprime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #353 on: March 02, 2016, 12:35:48 PM »
So, to get it all off of my chest, here is the series of pitfalls that I followed before discovering this lovely site.
1) Upon graduation, immediately wracked up 6k in credit card debt on stupid crap that I wanted and did not need.
2) Moved, forgot to change addresses, completely ignored the fact that I knew there was 6k in debt.
3) Wracked up another 5k on stuff for the new place
4) All 11k went to collections (paid in full, because I created the problem, but seriously, my early 20s was a mess)
5) Boy meets girl, they date, he buys stupidly expensive engagement ring (0% finance, but still, financed)
6) Boy marries girl, buys stupidly expensive band to add to engagement ring (0% finance, but still, financed)
7) Boy and girl have baby, girl totals car week before delivery, boy buys (almost) new SUV for girl (financed at 3%)
7a) Boy is still paying for his tiny car that gets great gas mileage, but that he bought during the horrible 11k collections fiasco, at 15% interest.
8) Boy buys girl beautiful (and stupidly expensive) matching necklace and earrings for first anniversary (14% interest)
9) Boy totals car that he had finally finished paying off, buys new (compact) SUV, (0% financing though)
10) Girl asks boy for house, boy buys house (WITH PMI) with pool as well as front and back yard grass, IN A FREAKING DESERT, because girl liked it.
11) During all of this, boy and girl wrack up about 25k in credit card debt due to traveling and consumer habits.
12) Because completing one master's degree completely on student loans was not enough him, boy convinces girl to join him in another master's program, completely on student loans, which they might not even be compensated fully for because of a contract restructure after the program was already in progress.

All of this when Boy and Girl are teachers. Public school teachers.
Don't mind me, I will be that faceless chap a couple of miles back picking up the bits of his face that are left over from the punching.

(In happier news, since discovering this site, I have knocked out 15k of that credit card debt, with the other 10 on pace to be removed this year, our credit rating is through the roof right now, so when I get another 10k on the mortgage knocked out, refi with sofi should be easy (hoping rates stay low), we have solar on the roof, self-rigged water reclamation from the sinks to help off-set watering, and have FINALLY stopped buying crap because we want it. Baby steps.)

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #354 on: March 02, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »
Awesomeprime, you are making me feel a lot better about the $550 in medical bills I have to pay because I screwed up something with my health insurance. :-)
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

awesomeprime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #355 on: March 02, 2016, 12:49:37 PM »
Awesomeprime, you are making me feel a lot better about the $550 in medical bills I have to pay because I screwed up something with my health insurance. :-)

That's enough justification for me! Back to my crazy lifestyle, as it is performing community service! WOO HOO! Third car here I come!

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #356 on: March 08, 2016, 06:38:27 AM »
I broke down during my three hour class yesterday and bought a bag of cheezits from the vending machine. Could have easily been saved with a bit of pre-planning (I usually bring some crackers or fruit), but there you have it.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #357 on: March 10, 2016, 07:44:32 AM »
Last night, my husband came upstairs and announced to me that my car wouldn't start. It's 13 years old, less than 100k miles on it, but has needed some major repairs in the past two years. We carpool to work most days, so it's not even a daily driver. The reason it didn't start right away was because it had been sitting for a week and a half without being started, let alone driven!

My rational brain is telling me to ride this car out until it no longer works and replace it with a used car with good gas mileage. My emotional brain is telling me to dump it and buy a brand-new (new new, not 'new-to-me' new), shiny crossover. Sigh.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #358 on: March 10, 2016, 10:16:45 AM »
After months of deliberation and agonizing, I broke down and bought a $1400 monitor with calibration device for my photography hobby. The final purchasing decision went something like..."screw this, I will just get the best..." Not the most rational way to spend ones money.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #359 on: March 10, 2016, 10:22:45 AM »
I spent ~$200 on car parts to make one of my cars safer this week. (hood latch and wheel bearings). That in itself wouldn't be too bad if half of the total cost wasn't the overnight shipping I payed for so that I could have the parts in time to install them before driving to a car meet 65 miles away on Saturday evening.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #360 on: March 12, 2016, 10:42:08 AM »
I bought a bar cart. A fucking bar cart like some pretentious rich jerk.
$375 at the local vintage shop down the drain. It is beautiful, italian made with beautiful inlays...but $375, just damn.
Did I mention my husband doesn't drink and I do but only on occasion and we dont really have many people over so yeah.
I keep trying to figure out if I should list it on craigslist or resell at a ritzier vintage shop downtown.
Ugg.

faithless

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #361 on: March 12, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
$375 at the local vintage shop down the drain. It is beautiful, italian made with beautiful inlays...but $375, just damn.
Did I mention my husband doesn't drink and I do but only on occasion and we dont really have many people over so yeah.
I keep trying to figure out if I should list it on craigslist or resell at a ritzier vintage shop downtown.
Ugg.

I also bought a bar cart/drinks trolley in a charity shop just before Christmas, intending to recover the old fashioned shelves for NYE with vinyl or something. I didn't it get around to recovering it for NYE so it's sitting in the hall in the way at the moment, getting in my way. Trying to decide whether to do it now and dind it a place, or just take it back and donate it.
At least it was only £7.99!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #362 on: March 12, 2016, 12:47:19 PM »
I bought expensive, fancy pants rice wraps for like $4.50 for a pack. Worse? I don't like them.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

CindyBS

• Stubble
« Reply #363 on: March 12, 2016, 03:31:52 PM »
Ugg.

Sell it and then use the proceeds to buy a super cheap used baby changing table (or even trash pick one).  Then upcycle it to a bar cart. 

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #364 on: March 12, 2016, 05:40:05 PM »
Actually, I think I will sell it and keep my liquor in the kitchen cabinet like regular people lol
I bought that thing weeks ago and I have buyer's remorse every.single.day

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #365 on: March 15, 2016, 08:22:28 AM »
Actually, I think I will sell it and keep my liquor in the kitchen cabinet like regular people lol
I bought that thing weeks ago and I have buyer's remorse every.single.day
Ouch! If you figure out what exactly the bar cart represented to you, it could prove to be valuable after all.

Does it represent a life filled with leisure or frequent entertaining?  Did someone in your past who had one have a lifestyle you aspire to? Proof of self-control by placing temptation out in the open and not succumbing to it? Are you just a sukka for great design? 

I don't know your answer, but something strong made you dump a lot of money on a thing that is quite non-essential. A little digging to understand your motivation could save you from doing it again with something far more expensive. Even the memory of your post-purchase angst is a good lesson.

Once you figure it out, you could end up keeping the cart as a symbol of what you've discovered about yourself. If you decide not to keep it, try Craigslist so you keep all the proceeds. Make it a game to get all of your money back. Dumping it to punish yourself for making a frivolous purchase would just compound the angst.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #366 on: March 15, 2016, 09:46:16 AM »
Little facepunch: I forgot to get gas before picking up an extra work shift yesterday, necessitating buying gas near the work site, where gas was $0.25/gal more than the station near me, and NO rewards points from it. Boo.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #367 on: March 15, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »
I need a preemptive facepunch. My BF and I have been together 5 years this Friday, and I'm debating taking us out to dinner in a restaurant. We never go out to restaurants. The occasional beer with friends will occur, but other then that, no - I think we've bought ourselves dinner together maybe 3 times over our relationship. I make great food at home. Facepunch me please, force me to find an alternative to celebrate.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #368 on: March 15, 2016, 01:09:29 PM »
I need a preemptive facepunch. My BF and I have been together 5 years this Friday, and I'm debating taking us out to dinner in a restaurant. We never go out to restaurants. The occasional beer with friends will occur, but other then that, no - I think we've bought ourselves dinner together maybe 3 times over our relationship. I make great food at home. Facepunch me please, force me to find an alternative to celebrate.
For our special occasions, we make a special dinner together at home.  We also splurge on a nice bottle of wine.  The act of cooking together is not something we do often, so I enjoy the prep work as much as the meal. 

Maybe you could start looking at recipes and plan an elaborate meal plan.  While you might spend a lot on the specialty ingredients, you'll enough leftovers for several meals. 

tomatops

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #369 on: March 17, 2016, 07:49:03 AM »
I went to the gym for my swimming lessons and forgot to pack my towel. I rented one for $2.00, which I could've used for a much better purpose. Facepunch me.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #370 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
I went to the gym for my swimming lessons and forgot to pack my towel. I rented one for $2.00, which I could've used for a much better purpose. Facepunch me.

If you ever, I mean EVER get kidnapped by Zaphod Beeblebrox, you're going to be so screwed.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #371 on: March 21, 2016, 10:34:35 AM »
I was invited to a flamenco dance performance so I had to spend money to look decent.  I was given a dress but had to pay $10 for a matching light sweater at Burlington, $30 for my hair, $29 for shoes, $30 for my hair to be styled by the same nice girl who gave me the dress,$5 for tights.  $10 for makeup (mascara and lip gloss only not the full on spread).  $15 for nail gel polish and top coat I did do my own nails thank God for Sally Hansen line.

Total $154.  Being out on an actual social enjoyable outing and dressing up to look like a real girl for once: Priceless!

But now I feel guilty for what I spent please facepunch me....

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #372 on: March 21, 2016, 12:20:41 PM »
I was invited to a flamenco dance performance so I had to spend money to look decent.  I was given a dress but had to pay $10 for a matching light sweater at Burlington, $30 for my hair, $29 for shoes, $30 for my hair to be styled by the same nice girl who gave me the dress,$5 for tights.  $10 for makeup (mascara and lip gloss only not the full on spread).  $15 for nail gel polish and top coat I did do my own nails thank God for Sally Hansen line.

Total $154.  Being out on an actual social enjoyable outing and dressing up to look like a real girl for once: Priceless!

But now I feel guilty for what I spent please facepunch me....

I thought you were going to be in the performance as I read your post!
$60 on hair? The other items I can understand if you dont own them at all (cant wear a nice dress with tennis shoes)...but $60 in hair? What did you have done to it?

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #373 on: March 21, 2016, 12:27:33 PM »
That was a typo I didn't realize I had put in my $30 entry twice.  It was more like $47 counting the temporary color styling gel and moisturizing product from the beauty supply  I hadn't been out to that type of function since 2012.  I do not style my own hair on special occasions I go to the girl.    It was mostly leftover money from my small bonus but still....

I do own dress shoes but they're heels and I cannot walk in them.  So she recommended I get flats to wear. They closed my Payless for remodeling so I went grudgingly to Discount Shoe Warehouse.

On the Mustachian side I got credit for the receipts from Receipt Hog, a special on the makeup from Walgreens.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #374 on: March 21, 2016, 01:27:02 PM »
Ugg.

On the other hand, it sounds like it is very pretty. You could forgive yourself, and then enjoy it for the rest of your long and happy life.

I believe that furniture is forever, and have a few mahogany pieces in my little house, because a couple of previous generations in my family believed the same. 

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #375 on: March 22, 2016, 03:06:24 PM »

On the other hand, it sounds like it is very pretty. You could forgive yourself, and then enjoy it for the rest of your long and happy life.

I believe that furniture is forever, and have a few mahogany pieces in my little house, because a couple of previous generations in my family believed the same.

Maybe. It IS beautiful and now I appreciate it more and resent the price less when I look at it. I have had a very bad experience with furniture, in my early 20s, my then bf and I furnished our apartment with really expensive (to us at least) Dania and West Elm furniture. It lasted little as we split up and we fought over the stuff, I decided to cut my loses and leave it to him but then months after I was contacted by a lady that had been renting him the basement of her house as storage. He hadn't payed for 2 months, at the time $200 total, and told me if I paid her I could have it. I did and I got it but within all the moving the furniture started to become wobbly and stuff and now all I have of all those things is my dinning room table.I swore I would never spend so much money on furniture again.
Maybe I'll keep it..but Im not buying anything else! Lol

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #376 on: March 22, 2016, 03:13:21 PM »
That was a typo I didn't realize I had put in my $30 entry twice.  It was more like $47 counting the temporary color styling gel and moisturizing product from the beauty supply  I hadn't been out to that type of function since 2012.  I do not style my own hair on special occasions I go to the girl.    It was mostly leftover money from my small bonus but still....

I do own dress shoes but they're heels and I cannot walk in them.  So she recommended I get flats to wear. They closed my Payless for remodeling so I went grudgingly to Discount Shoe Warehouse.

On the Mustachian side I got credit for the receipts from Receipt Hog, a special on the makeup from Walgreens.

Given how long it had been since you had a night out like that you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. Plus, flats are very versatile. I would recommend watching a youtube video of an easy hairstyle you can do youself on a night out or invest in an inexpensive flat iron ($20?) And just iron your hair for nights out. It beats paying someone to style it every time :) I am THEE laziest with my long hair and my flat iron is my best friend!

Physicsteacher

• Bristles
« Reply #377 on: March 22, 2016, 06:13:55 PM »
I bought a prom dress this week. I have to chaperone since I am a junior class sponsor, and I probably could have gotten away with wearing a black pantsuit I already own. Instead, I let a nagging feeling that that wouldn't be formal enough result in my spending $45.95 on EBay for a long silk dress and matching jacket. No one cares if chaperones look pretty.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #378 on: March 23, 2016, 10:02:48 AM »
I bought a prom dress this week. I have to chaperone since I am a junior class sponsor, and I probably could have gotten away with wearing a black pantsuit I already own. Instead, I let a nagging feeling that that wouldn't be formal enough result in my spending $45.95 on EBay for a long silk dress and matching jacket. No one cares if chaperones look pretty.

Not necessarily true. I remember noticing, 20 years ago, that the deputies supervising were wearing their dress uniforms. I appreciated the gesture.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #379 on: March 23, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »
I am frightened of putting heat on my hair since I nearly burned it all off blowing it dry and attempting to flat iron it over the years.  On my own I just wash condition and moisturize it.  I only allow licensed hairstylists or that one girl to apply heat to my head.  I am happy to say I am still enjoying the nail polish lol and I intend to keep my hair in this style for another 3-5 days at least until the itching becomes unbearable.  I did enjoy dressing up but it is good to be back to a nerdy girl with no makeup and my tops and pants.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #380 on: March 23, 2016, 09:25:01 PM »
I decided to treat myself to some fancy chocolates tonight because I had time to kill and I thought it would be nice to be financially supportive of Belgium. That would be OK, but I fell for the "if you spend just six more dollars we'll throw in a free bag of chocolate-covered caramels!" spiel. So by the time I got a pound of chocolates and the two little chocolate bunnies to get me over the line for the free caramels, I had spent too much money on more chocolate than I should be eating.

But the real facepunch is because after that, I said to myself, oh, I already spent too much tonight, I might as well go all out and get a drink at that fancy bar since I still have some time to kill before 8... That was a weak moment. And it wasn't even that good, definitely not worth the money. :-(

I'm going to go bite the ears off a chocolate bunny to make me feel better about being an idiot.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #381 on: March 23, 2016, 09:30:01 PM »
I'm going to go bite the ears off a chocolate bunny to make me feel better about being an idiot.
One of the great philosophical statements of our time

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2016, 06:49:36 PM »
Why hold back?  Take off its head.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #383 on: March 25, 2016, 04:20:34 PM »
Off with the head!

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #384 on: March 25, 2016, 07:10:38 PM »
I just signed up for a CITI AT&T card to get $650 back on an iphone 6s.   I'll sell my 5s for between $150 and $200.   I'll also upgrade to a 128G phone.  On the plus side I got my plan reduced to $75 plus tax for 2G data, two phones, unlimited text/calls, and data rollover.  We use 900MB a month.   I have to spend $2k in 3 months (about $1150 after phone).   Moving fios, cell bill, toll bill, netflix, audible, and a few other monthly bills should cover it.   

Also the new phone will improve the performance of my kickstarter Hexo+ drone.   Bought with profits from side gig of refurbishing and flipping bicycles.   With a 360 degree camera on board it should take some interesting overheads.

I did hold out using a flip phone for 2 years while my family members had iPhone 3;  my wife is now satisfied with her iPhone 5.

Ok,  FI is a couple more months out,  I'm to old for RE but should make FI by 2019.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:16:18 PM by robtown »

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #385 on: March 25, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »
I decided to treat myself to some fancy chocolates tonight because I had time to kill and I thought it would be nice to be financially supportive of Belgium. That would be OK, but I fell for the "if you spend just six more dollars we'll throw in a free bag of chocolate-covered caramels!" spiel. So by the time I got a pound of chocolates and the two little chocolate bunnies to get me over the line for the free caramels, I had spent too much money on more chocolate than I should be eating.

But the real facepunch is because after that, I said to myself, oh, I already spent too much tonight, I might as well go all out and get a drink at that fancy bar since I still have some time to kill before 8... That was a weak moment. And it wasn't even that good, definitely not worth the money. :-(

Best facepunch ever!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:29:43 PM by lunahsol »

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #386 on: April 05, 2016, 09:02:35 AM »
I bought a ticket to see Amon Amarth in concert in Charlotte, NC. That's a little less than $40. I will drive 2.5 hours to see a Viking death metal band on a weekday. $20, maybe. I will leave right after work and so will probably buy food and beer. Another $40. In years to come I will need hearing aids. $?,???.

No regrets. None. Facepunch away. I'll tell everyone at the concert that I got the bruise in a fight with a pirate.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #387 on: April 05, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »
I bought a ticket to see Amon Amarth in concert in Charlotte, NC. That's a little less than $40. I will drive 2.5 hours to see a Viking death metal band on a weekday. $20, maybe. I will leave right after work and so will probably buy food and beer. Another $40. In years to come I will need hearing aids. $4,500.

No regrets. None. Facepunch away. I'll tell everyone at the concert that I got the bruise in a fight with a pirate.

Yep. That's how much.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #388 on: April 05, 2016, 09:45:29 AM »
I bought a ticket to see Amon Amarth in concert in Charlotte, NC. That's a little less than $40. I will drive 2.5 hours to see a Viking death metal band on a weekday. $20, maybe. I will leave right after work and so will probably buy food and beer. Another $40. In years to come I will need hearing aids. $?,???.

If you think the concert will be ear-damagingly loud, just pick up a pair of musician's earplugs. $15-$20 and they are designed for listening to music so you don't lose all the high-end like you do with foam plugs.

I went to over 200 concerts last year. Earplugs are our friends :-)

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #389 on: April 05, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »
That's a great idea, Dollar Slice! I'll look into it. My ears are already on the downhill slope thanks to genetics and Motley Crue, but I'm not in any hurry to worsen the damage. Thank you!

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #390 on: April 05, 2016, 10:30:02 AM »
That's a great idea, Dollar Slice! I'll look into it. My ears are already on the downhill slope thanks to genetics and Motley Crue, but I'm not in any hurry to worsen the damage. Thank you!

I have the genetics thing going against me - multiple generations of women losing their hearing. In my 20s I would use foam earplugs, then discovered the Etymotic ER-20s, and I invested in a pair of custom-fit professional music earplugs ($150) four years ago. I have used them hundreds of times and I love them. Really worth it. But in the last four years a ton of companies have started making non-custom ones which are much cheaper and give you some great options and a more comfortable fit.

Also, this is my 666th post and it is talking about heavy metal concerts. \m/

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #391 on: April 05, 2016, 10:51:05 AM »
I spent $54 for my son's birthday last week he turned 22.  I got him a Mod Pizza giftcard since they have dairy free cheese, dairy free whoopie pies and dairy free cheesecake and ice cream from Whole Foods.  Please facepunch me...

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #392 on: April 06, 2016, 07:12:27 AM »

This was pretty much me on Weight Watchers. "Well I messed up and used too many points this week. Clearly my life is ruined now, so it won't matter if I go and eat that huge plate of alfredo pasta with giant brownie sundae for dessert."

So I need a facepunch for being an idiot. Went to buy two (nonrefundable) 10-ride train tickets and bought both for the wrong zone. Ended up spending $11 too much, so now I think I'll run out transit FSA funds before the end of the month and will have to cover some out of pocket. That on top of me forgetting my ticket and bus pass once last month, which led to me having to pay like $10 out of pocket then too!
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #393 on: April 13, 2016, 09:55:37 AM »
Also, this is my 666th post and it is talking about heavy metal concerts. \m/

lolol

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #394 on: April 14, 2016, 02:26:57 AM »
I paid $7 for those Biore things you stick to your nose to clean your pores bad bad me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #395 on: April 14, 2016, 06:36:39 AM »
I paid $7 for those Biore things you stick to your nose to clean your pores bad bad me
You can buy an entire roll of duct tape for $7 and do your whole body.

Sent from my iPhone
That may be rather more antimustachian !

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
    • Mrs. Dinero's Journal
« Reply #396 on: April 14, 2016, 06:44:18 AM »
A couple of years ago I used to buy Shakeology ($140/bag).  I found they were prefect in my road warrior bag when I would sometimes have less than 5 minutes to consume a meal (other than drive thru) as I ran to meet the next client.

I just threw out 3 bags of this stuff because the expiration has long passed (my doctor advised I not drink them during pregnancy).

Basically I just tossed $420 in the trash. 

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #397 on: April 14, 2016, 07:15:48 AM »

Sent from my iPhone
That may be rather more antimustachian !
Lol, it automatically puts the 'sent from my iPhone' message when you use 'Tapatalk'. I don't consider my iPhone too antimoustachian though as I had my IPhone 3GS for 4.5 years until it broke then I bought the 5S upfront it's 2 years old and I will keep it as long as possible, then I'll see what other cheaper smart phone I can get

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: April 14, 2016, 07:19:57 AM »
I went to over 200 concerts last year.
Ho-Lee shit! You said that on this thread and you're not seeking a facepunch? Details, please. Is it work related? Are you a music critic? Wow, just thinking about that is making my ears ring.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #399 on: April 14, 2016, 09:08:38 AM »
I went to over 200 concerts last year.
Ho-Lee shit! You said that on this thread and you're not seeking a facepunch? Details, please. Is it work related? Are you a music critic? Wow, just thinking about that is making my ears ring.

It's my passion and my hobby and it's worth it to me. I've had a few chances at writing reviews (and PR) but decided it's not for me, at least not right now. Not enough time in the day between concerts, public transit commutes, and my day job.

Like any expensive hobby, it's not good for my FIRE date, but that's my choice and I don't see it as facepunchy. It's not wasteful, it's not bad for the environment, it's not hurting anyone (including me), and I'm still saving a decent chunk of my pay and have a six-figure net worth with zero debt. I'm putting money into the pockets of people and organizations that I want to support. I've gotten to be friends with lots of musicians and music fans and I feel I'm part of that community.

I don't know if you are one of the many people who assumes that "concert" means "going out to see some has-been baby-boomer rock band in a stadium for $300" but I can assure you that is not the case here... ;-) According to Mint my average concert ticket price last year was ~$17. I make good use of memberships, discounts, gifts, and freebies whenever possible to save money. My mind is constantly boggling over the fact that I can see world-class musicians every week for under $20 a pop. You can literally see some of the best musicians in the world for free on a regular basis in this city, it's amazing! I mean, yeah, I could stay home and watch Netflix to kill time like most folks, but I'd rather throw away my TV and cancel my subscriptions and go out and see incredible people doing amazing things.