Author Topic: Extreme cheapness  (Read 5253 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Extreme cheapness
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 04:07:05 PM »
She seems really controlling.  I feel bad for her kids. 

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »
Turning the light on in the bathroom light for 2 hours a day with 20 watts worth of bulbs at .13 cents/kw/h would cost 15.6 cents per month....

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 07:44:46 AM »
Wait, was that an incandescent lightbulb? That baby monitor uses electricity. Does she unplug it when he's not in the shower? Typically it's cheaper (and healrhier) to make your own red sauce than buy jarred stuff. Disposable plates? Plastic silverware? That's an expensive hairdo and manicure, even if she does DIY.

In all my years of FIRE- motivated frugality, I have always practiced generosity of spirit by cooking for friends, making homemade gifts, lending a hand where needed, etc. It kept me from feeling deprived. Poor Stephanie has a lot to learn. I suspect (and hope) that her future self will cringe at her Scrooge-ish ways.

I'm not sure about how I feel about her partner. Methinks he knew what he was signing up for. Some people find life easier if someone else makes all their decisions for them.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 08:14:12 AM »
I wonder if she takes all those savings and then wipes them out with some other habit like daily Starbucks or shopping therapy or expensive cellphone plans.

Or - she could could teach herself something else to create a side gig or help herself be promoted at work to make extra dough.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 09:52:38 AM »
Plenty of MMM folks are just as guano loco. No heater, dumpster diving, etc. Ye who livith in glass houses shalt not throw stones.

Toad

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 06:56:15 PM »
Disposable plates? Plastic silverware?

I certainly haven't done a cost comparison, but I suspect those actually are the cheapest route to go.  She was re-using the plastic utensils, and paper plates (even if not re-used which you could for some items) probably would be cheaper than the water, dishwashing soap, and electricity (if using dishwasher) needed to wash proper dinnerware.

I agree...the boyfriend knew what he was getting into...you can't hide that level of crazy, so tough shit for him.

That was quite amusing, thanks for the laughs.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 11:28:09 PM »
Disposable plates? Plastic silverware?

I certainly haven't done a cost comparison, but I suspect those actually are the cheapest route to go.  She was re-using the plastic utensils, and paper plates (even if not re-used which you could for some items) probably would be cheaper than the water, dishwashing soap, and electricity (if using dishwasher) needed to wash proper dinnerware.

I agree...the boyfriend knew what he was getting into...you can't hide that level of crazy, so tough shit for him.

That was quite amusing, thanks for the laughs.
Yech, I see you also noticed she didn't actually wash the plastic silverware, she just kinda wiped it off. Gross. For anyone who actually washes their dishes, real stuff trumps disposables, because cleaning costs are the same, and less trash is generated. There isn't a thrift store worth its classification that doesn't sell plates for dirt cheap. Better still, garage sales, baby, for the mustachian win.

Toad

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 12:26:09 AM »
Actually, I forgot the most obvious reason to use disposable items in my assessment...if you use all that fancy china known as "silverware" and "ceramic plates" and (god forbid) "glass cups", there won't be any room left in your dishwasher to cook your dinner!

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 02:51:14 AM »
It looks like it is from a reality TV show, so I wonder how much of it is fake.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 05:51:07 AM »
Actually, I forgot the most obvious reason to use disposable items in my assessment...if you use all that fancy china known as "silverware" and "ceramic plates" and (god forbid) "glass cups", there won't be any room left in your dishwasher to cook your dinner!
Funny! It looked like she hand washed everything. I was actually kind of surprised when she opened the dishwasher. Then I realized she wasn't using it to wash dishes. Do you think it's actually cheaper to run than the oven?

My MIL has Alz. and lives with us. She used to wait up in order to to open the dishwasher to prevent it from going into the "Dry" cycle. Problem is, she can't tell when the full cycle has ended. She would pull the door open between phases, meaning that by morning the dishes would be dry, but not clean. We literally thought we needed to replace the dishwasher until we realized what was happening. Talk about a false economy!

Both women's actions seem penny wise and pound foolish. At least my MIL has a better excuse.

Optimizer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 07:19:33 AM »
Plenty of MMM folks are just as guano loco. No heater, dumpster diving, etc. Ye who livith in glass houses shalt not throw stones.

All kinds of people exist some do it for money, some for other reasons. I'd say the extent and motive counts. Having the room temperature at 18 or 12 Celsius is vastly different. And most people I know who dumpster dive do it for ecological and "doesn't make sense to throw perfectly normal food away" reasons.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 08:05:12 AM »

All kinds of people exist some do it for money, some for other reasons. I'd say the extent and motive counts. Having the room temperature at 18 or 12 Celsius is vastly different. And most people I know who dumpster dive do it for ecological and "doesn't make sense to throw perfectly normal food away" reasons.
There is also a huge difference between optimizing one's life and being someone who is ridiculously self-centered. Did you see how she bragged about herself and her ways? Did you notice her complete disregard for the comfort of those around her? That the lightbulb went where she was? For all the shit the Frugalwoods are getting, they are kind to each other and to their community. This one, not so much. She probably only let his friends in because someone was filming this and she wants her 15 minutes of fame.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 08:21:50 AM »
I believe I watched an episode or two of that show. My overall impression was that A) as with most reality TV, things were greatly exaggerated, and B) most of these people seemed to be penny-wise and pound foolish. From what I remember, most people lived on that show lived by themselves, and having a roommate would save them far more than any of their silly tricks.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »
Moving the same light bulb from place to place?  I hate even replacing bulbs due to the risk of damaging the fixture!