Author Topic: Does anyone else love consuming?  (Read 21221 times)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: Does anyone else love consuming?
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2017, 09:59:02 PM »
I'm a bit different from some here, in that I love reaching the end so much, and so cannot bear the experience of plenty, that I intentionally buy the smaller packs (qtips, shampoo, some foods, etc). I need things to go away, need to have a break, need to start fresh. Story of my life, lol.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2017, 11:31:23 PM »
+1 to almost all of these. Wearing clothes out, finishing off cosmetics, eating the leftovers, using up what's in the fridge/freezer (affectionately called "garbage supper"!). I am all about using things up and having the appropriate backup stock:)

And I LOVE paying bills (well, they mostly auto pay) and tracking expenses. Tracking and planning and tracking and planning...

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2017, 10:35:44 PM »
 I get a tiny joyful thrill out of using up something that's been hanging around a long time, especially when I know I will never again having it taking up houseroom (i.e. gifted items).  As I move toward retirement, I just want to own less "stuff".  Cleaning out my closets and donating/gifting/pitching out stuff is satisfying too; I just need to do it more often.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2017, 11:00:05 PM »
Yesterday I accidentally ran out of dish soap. Used bathroom hand soap pump (in which I'd previously diluted the dish soap), then moved on to laundry soap. All is well. At first I was mortified to be without my lovely scented bubbles (closest thing I get to my dream bath), but then I started really enjoying coming up with other ideas until we shop again :)

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
One of my classmates in school seriously tried to get 100% on all his college assignments. We were all like "The effort to grade ratio is messed up after the 90% mark, you know this?" and he was like "But I want to get All The Achievements".

It's not just you.

(No, this guy wasn't going on to more post-secondary)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2017, 02:31:50 PM »
One of my classmates in school seriously tried to get 100% on all his college assignments. We were all like "The effort to grade ratio is messed up after the 90% mark, you know this?" and he was like "But I want to get All The Achievements".

It's not just you.

(No, this guy wasn't going on to more post-secondary)

Suffering from the Level-Up delusion spread by games like Candy Crush.

Del Griffith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
All these posts are so totally relatable. And here I thought I was the only weirdo. Anytime I finished off something in the kitchen like a bag of shredded cheese for example, I'd proudly announce it to my husband and tell him what a great job we were doing using it up and not letting it go to waste. (He was much less enthused.)

Now that we are currently staying with family while we have renovations going on at our house, we try to keep our stuff confined to the bedroom we are staying in. It quickly became clear to me just how little I actually needed to get ready for the day and have really whittled the bottles and products down to just what I actually use. It's so satisfying throwing away a finished product for all the reasons already mentioned. My plan is to try keep the numbers down on the necessities once we get settled at the house, too.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
Re: Does anyoe else love consuming?
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2017, 02:22:56 PM »
Life is like a game of Tetris. There is no finish to the game. The way to "win" it is to simply outlast those around you. Whether you measure the increments in seconds or in rolls of toilet paper doesn't matter. You are still pooping where others are not. And that matters.
In summary, are you saying 'Fecal Matters'?

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
I must thank you: today it occurred to me to get rid of some of the mini-spools of thread I've accumulated. There's not enough on any of them to make an entire sewing project, but the spools and leftover bits are taking up space.

So I'm working on a scrap quilt, and it doesn't matter what color thread I use while piecing the bits and pieces together. I've therefore been blowing through the mini-spools and leftover ends. Thanks to you, I've had the minor thrill of finishing off several small spools and bobbins. It's been quite cathartic and has freed up space in my thread box.

Me too!  I made an entire project from tiny scraps of fabric, using old mismatched ends of thread spools, then sold the wall hanging at a charity event! Donated $50, made $50, all using up old stuff.

This week I pieced together 4 tablecloths for my kid's preschool using up fabric I didn't like or need any more. Felt so great!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »
I must thank you: today it occurred to me to get rid of some of the mini-spools of thread I've accumulated. There's not enough on any of them to make an entire sewing project, but the spools and leftover bits are taking up space.

So I'm working on a scrap quilt, and it doesn't matter what color thread I use while piecing the bits and pieces together. I've therefore been blowing through the mini-spools and leftover ends. Thanks to you, I've had the minor thrill of finishing off several small spools and bobbins. It's been quite cathartic and has freed up space in my thread box.

Me too!  I made an entire project from tiny scraps of fabric, using old mismatched ends of thread spools, then sold the wall hanging at a charity event! Donated $50, made $50, all using up old stuff.

This week I pieced together 4 tablecloths for my kid's preschool using up fabric I didn't like or need any more. Felt so great!

I've used up several bobbins of various coloured threads recently, and then had the satisfaction of buying 500m each of black and white thread and knowing that they are the ONLY ones in the drawer. It'll be a red letter day when they get used up.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
I will be thrilled when I use up the last of the costco toilet paper.  The package is 2.5 years old.  I think I've got another few months to go.  I'm still undecided as to whether I'll ever buy that much toilet paper at one time ever again.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »
I will be thrilled when I use up the last of the costco toilet paper.  The package is 2.5 years old.  I think I've got another few months to go.  I'm still undecided as to whether I'll ever buy that much toilet paper at one time ever again.

MPP: I use a lot more toilet paper now that I don't poop at work

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
Buy a bidet. Your TP will be antique before it gets used up.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2017, 06:13:27 PM »
I was excited that I was about to finally use up our supply of garbage bags after years (we only use one a week).  I bought a new box at Costco.  But then I went rummaging through the garage for something else and found an entire other box we had stored.  Stupid me, stupid Costco (I could return it but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle)

Brenda in NS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2017, 08:20:20 PM »
This thread has lured me from the weeds where I have lurked for many months!

I love using up all the things in the fridge - sometimes I'll put our plates on the table and say "this was a six container meal!"  My DH doesn't understand it - he says "but now you have to get more."

However, the thing that I really love and that gives me great satisfaction is....garbage day!  Where we live, collection is every two weeks.  I have an orderly storage of returnables, paper recycling, plastic, glass and metals, and landfill.  There is also a green bin for compost.  I like to have every bit of garbage in the house out the door on garbage day and the green bin filled (I am often out doing last minute trimming in the yard as the garbage truck arrives!). We try to minimize the garbage going to the landfill - our best record was 1/2 a grocery bag for two weeks for our family of three.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2017, 09:31:30 PM »
ha, I am same same, Brenda in NS! I get so excited about getting stuff gone from the fridge, and also about recycling/compost/garbage pick up. I realized I was too excited about the latter when I almost planned my next trip so I wouldn't miss it by a day. Er...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2017, 10:24:46 PM »
I know it sounds terrible, but I get a giddy sense of completion every time I finish off a pack of toilet paper, garbage bags, soap, or any other staple that I consider a necessary evil of modern society (usually purchased from costco).  Like yeah, I know we "don't really need toilet paper," but for some reason these consumer goods measure the passage of time in my life.  Likewise, for some reason I feel a nonsensical sense of accomplishment when I pay my mortgage, phone bill, or complete another year at work.  Every time I celebrate an anniversary at my job,  I should actually be sad that another year of my life has passed without living it to its fullest.  Instead, I get a type-A personality, gamified, sense that I've achieved some kind of merit badge for having simply lasted 5 years or whatever.

Now, this doesn't mean I purposely try to use more coffee filters in order to finish off my 400-filter pack.  But does anyone else get this feeling, or is it just me?

There are dozens of us!

I feel incredibly satisfied when I finish off products, especially if it is something that won't be replaced.

I adore those little jobs that some people detest. The admin at my work has certain responsibilities to do with mail which she puts off and puts off. But it's such a a basic task and you do it and then you get that sense of satisfaction... why would you put it off???

I'd never viewed as gamifying life but you're right. I create these micro levels for myself so I feel like I've achieved something. (Note: am functional human being with reasonably successful career, etc, but there are those achievements and then there is the joy that comes from finishing off a 5kg box of washing powder.)

My MiL is like this with garbage day. Repeatedly tells me how much she loves getting rid of it all. I'm a bit immune to that because I live in an apartment building, garbage is collected twice or three times a week, and I don't have to take the bins out.

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2017, 03:15:02 AM »
It's kind of funny but yes, I love "finishing" things, especially things that are never actually used up in most households. It's a satisfying feeling to squeeze out the last bit of toothpaste or write on the last page of a notebook.

Again, I'm aware that it is silly.

And yes, I chuckle when I discard the wrapping of a roll of garbage packs into the first of the lot. It IS kind of ironic after all.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2017, 02:03:53 PM »
I feel like I'm reading about some strange alien culture right now.

I understand using 100% of something, rather than wasting it. I don't understand being happy about running out of staple items. When I run out I think, "crap, now I need more of this, and I HATE shopping!"

I hate shopping too.  I think it is one of the reasons I've been successful at saving.  I hear women (and even some guys) talking about "retail therapy" and the like, and I'm left scratching my head.

Shopping as a fun activity?  I don't get it.  Its a chore, like taking out the trash.

Though with the internet and places like Amazon, it's becoming even easier to shop.  I wonder if this will cause people to make even more unnecessary purchases?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2017, 02:28:42 PM »
Wait, you guys don't love taking out the trash???

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2017, 10:04:07 PM »
I like to watch fire burn.

Does that count?

I love pulmonary tuberculosis.
Receiving or inflicting?

Just consumption in general
I don't know how I missed this thread, but oh, dragon car, you slay me! I literally laughed out loud. Then I coughed. And coughed. And coughed. And now I can't breathe and there's blood in my handkerchief. I'm gasping for the faintest wisp of breath to fill my wheezy lungs...Oh, help meeee!

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2017, 10:04:49 AM »
I love shopping!  I love hunting and finding a good deal on something I will use.

And then I became a professional shopper for an engineering firm.  All the deal seeking and spending millions of dollars every day.

bestname

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
At some point between getting married 9 years ago and now, I began to hate the dishes that I registered for. (I know I know)

Of course, I'm too stingy to give them away and buy something else, so I feel great satisfaction every time a dish or a bowl breaks. I've already broken all the mugs.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »
I don't think we will ever run out!
A quick look found 14 packages with over 500 rolls of TP.
Oh, that doesn't include what is stored in the cabinets under
the sinks.  And I didn't check in the closets.
Don't get me started on the paper towels!
 My wife stocks up when she finds a deal.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »
When I got married 2 years ago, we had the wedding at my parents cottage. As a "deal finder" my mother decided to stock up on TP any time it was on sale "for the wedding". In the end we figured out we could have given everyone (~100 people) 4 rolls of TP for a Wedding Favour. (Almost did, both our families would have appreciated the humour in this). Needless to say, we did not use ~400 rolls of TP for the wedding, and mom and dad now have an endless supply of TP.

They send me regular updates of how the TP Stash is doing....good to know my wedding will always remind them (and me) of TP.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2017, 06:51:46 PM »
 I consumed a $0.99 chocolate frozen yogurt from Sam's yesterday.
 I didn't like spending $1.06, but I enjoyed consuming the frozen yogurt.
 That's the best deal around, not your usual $3.50 to $6.00 for some manner of glorified malted.
 I saw Sonic has a Medium Concrete for $5.61! Just about need a mortgage.
 Rather than complain I should probably see if Sonic is on the stock exchange.

the500millionaire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The $500 Millionaire
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »
Money is meant for three things:
1. Spending
2. Saving
3. Giving

There is nothing wrong with spending money on "things" that are meant to be enjoyed. It's what makes life enjoyable! The problem is that people get into trouble because they don't strike a balance across the three uses. They over-index on spending and blow off the giving and saving part.

This imbalance causes people to have real, visceral, emotional reactions to their money habits. When you don't plan out your spending habits through a budget you begin to worry about affording the utility bill at the end of the month. You start biting your nails, counting down the days until the next paycheck.

I gotta tell you, budgeting is the best sleeping pill I have ever found. I don't even deal with the stress of spending too much on certain things because I have already spent the money on paper first.

Use a budget and keep the three uses of money in a healthy balance, and I promise you will stop worrying about whether or not you are consuming too much.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2017, 09:14:50 PM »
I want to empty my fridge out and have been working on that. Trying to make meals out of what I already have in the fridge.

Kellie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2017, 06:15:55 PM »
So strange (in a really cool way) to see others discussing something you thought was your own little, ahem....quirk.
I also enjoy using up the last little bit of something, but only if I have the next one readily available. It wouldn't be at all the same if I had to run out to the store to replace it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2017, 09:48:03 PM »
Yesterday I scraped the last of the old-fashioned seed mustard out of the jar and ate it on a sandwich. I made sure to get every single one of the little grains, because I enjoy popping them between my teeth.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2017, 11:10:37 AM »
Consuming?  No.  Stockpiling though?  Hell yes!  It really bothers me every time something is used up and I don't have a replacement on hand.  It fills me with a weird joy to go into our pantry and see like eight containers of peanut butter, or to have spare chain, cassette, tires, tubes, etc. for my bike in the garage.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »
Ah, more crazy people like me! I don't love consuming per se - but the act of finishing something up, to discard the empty packaging, the collection of garbage ...  I love it. I especially love it when I'm given something by someone, that they were going to toss away for no reason, and then using it and using it up. My mum used to collect paper napkins with nice prints and never used them. She gave me her collection years ago and we only use them occasionally. Every time I can discard yet another empty pack I'm so happy. Same goes for spools of sewing thread and yards of fabric people find in the attic and donate to me. It's a very satisfying feeling.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2017, 01:01:13 PM »

The only time I would be happy about finishing something up is because I bought something I thought I would like, but I ended up not liking it that much (or possibly even disliking), so I'm glad it's finally gone without me having to throw it away.  If it's something I like, I'm not happy to see it gone and have to buy more.  That sounds illogical to be happy about consuming the last of something you like.

I also don't like paying bills as the OP referred to, so I have automated most of that.

The only thing I can relate to in the OP is the sense of accomplishment of another year on the job, but there are some real advantages to that, like vacation, retirement stash, retirement vesting, pay increases, and other advantages that seniority in a position can bring.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »
I hate finishing the last of something because it means I have to go and get more. Especially when it's toilet paper.

DangleStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »
Confession: I have never finished a tube of chapstick in my life.  I look forward to the day that I may accomplish that goal.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2017, 11:01:34 PM »
Confession: I have never finished a tube of chapstick in my life.  I look forward to the day that I may accomplish that goal.

Chapstick is the symbol of eternal life. No one has ever finished a tube before losing it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2017, 08:34:23 AM »
Yesterday I finished up another set of cotton crocheted placemats and am pleased to report that the leftover yarn was just one tiny piece about 5 inches long. The placemats are destined for a wedding shower, and this time (for a change) there will be no leftover yarn cluttering up my craft storage area.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2017, 12:07:08 PM »
ran down a stick of deodorant today. I'm not sure I can mask 100% of the odor today, but hopefully my co-workers will notice the trajectory tomorrow.