Author Topic: Do any of your parents hoard and try to give you crap and other dumb stuff?  (Read 179036 times)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Re: Do any of your parents hoard and try to give you crap and other dumb stuff?
« Reply #500 on: December 27, 2021, 07:52:04 AM »
^Have you tried the "Mom, we love you. Because we love you, we want you to be able to retire soon since your job is stressing you out. So, please stop buying stuff to give us and start padding your retirement savings instead. Every time you see something you are compelled to buy that isn't in your grocery list, please remember that we love you and want you to have that money for yourself instead."

I don't know if it will work. But keep emphasizing love I guess?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #501 on: December 27, 2021, 09:34:10 AM »
Sounds like Mom needs to learn how to flex her frugal muscles b/c once she is retired, her budget might be more limited. Start practicing now.

I just have a relative that sends magazines home with us that we don't read. I just move them to the recycle bin after they leave. Magazines don't cover any relevant topics for us. The thought is nice. Think golfing mags and we don't golf.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 09:36:22 AM by Just Joe »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #502 on: December 27, 2021, 11:07:09 AM »
My parents retired and moved earlier in 2021, so a LOT LOT LOT of stuff went bye bye.

Mom, in the new place, wanted a wall of bookcases. She has 5 IKEA bookcases, and they're full. They've also got books in the basement now. Well, apparently, mom is continuing to buy books. So instead of having to dispose of dozens of boxes of china when they die, it looks like we'll be disposing of dozens of boxes of books. And a fair number of book cases.

Oh well. The books are preferable, and at least I know the house is relatively clean (because there's a cleaner coming monthly, which we tried and failed to get going years ago but have finally succeeded).

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #503 on: December 27, 2021, 01:05:52 PM »
Take the food you don’t want to a shelter. Ours loves food donations even dessert or candy.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #504 on: December 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM »
My MIL buys crap from Traitor Joe's and Costco impulsively. I'd say it's on the order of $100 a week. All this stuff piles up in their living and dining room then she feels guilty and tries to foist it upon everyone around her.

She showed up this week for Christmas with boxes of crap she wants to dump on us, in addition to the usual gift exchange:
 - a huge box of hot chocolate bombs from costco
 - about four pounds of slave free chocolate in bar form
 - boxes of assorted chocolates
 - a can of deep fried onions
 - candles
 - coffee creamer
 - flower bulbs
 - a 1.5 lb danish
 - christmas poppers (the table place settings)

The sweets are particularly annoying because we worked hard to make nice christmas cookies and desserts for each meal, only to be flooded with other sugary crap.

I always say we don't want any of this stuff, and she says "but we'll never use it! you guys should take it, you'll use it!". It's a dance of politeness and guilt we're too familiar with now. They're at retirement age and scrambling to save and leave a job she hates. This habit is probably stress related so I try not to be too hard on her.

Thanks for the belly laugh over “Traitor Joe’s!”

I don’t think I’ve ever found slaves in any of my chocolate either!  Thankfully.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #505 on: December 27, 2021, 03:58:06 PM »
My MIL buys crap from Traitor Joe's and Costco impulsively. I'd say it's on the order of $100 a week. All this stuff piles up in their living and dining room then she feels guilty and tries to foist it upon everyone around her.

She showed up this week for Christmas with boxes of crap she wants to dump on us, in addition to the usual gift exchange:
 - a huge box of hot chocolate bombs from costco
 - about four pounds of slave free chocolate in bar form
 - boxes of assorted chocolates
 - a can of deep fried onions
 - candles
 - coffee creamer
 - flower bulbs
 - a 1.5 lb danish
 - christmas poppers (the table place settings)

The sweets are particularly annoying because we worked hard to make nice christmas cookies and desserts for each meal, only to be flooded with other sugary crap.

I always say we don't want any of this stuff, and she says "but we'll never use it! you guys should take it, you'll use it!". It's a dance of politeness and guilt we're too familiar with now. They're at retirement age and scrambling to save and leave a job she hates. This habit is probably stress related so I try not to be too hard on her.

Thanks for the belly laugh over “Traitor Joe’s!”

I don’t think I’ve ever found slaves in any of my chocolate either!  Thankfully.

Maybe try "Mom, If you want to bring us useful things from Costco, here are the SKU's for the toilet paper and paper towels we prefer..." 

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #506 on: December 27, 2021, 05:40:17 PM »
I visited my parents’ second house (they share it with my sister and her family). It’s already a huge mess and they’ve been there only a year. At least it’s my sister’s problem (free house = deal with the mess).

So many reasons I’m thankful to be independent and not living near there.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #507 on: December 27, 2021, 05:53:13 PM »
^Have you considered that your sister and her family may be contributing to the mess problem rather than doing anything to make it better?

Cawl

• Stubble
« Reply #508 on: February 08, 2022, 04:31:53 AM »
My dad was a gearhead and racing enthusiast. Yard looks like a Fallout LARP.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #509 on: February 28, 2022, 02:04:33 PM »
My dad..I recently visited him and was disgusted but not surprised by the large amount of crap he keeps. So he claims he has some books by an old mystery author that are worth a good sum.  Not believing him I checked the market rate on ebay and found they were essentially worthless not over $7 apiece. But i got off easy i decided to take the books to work to recycle them and not throw them away.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Could you provide some examples of non-book items that go well in the "Little Free Library"?

I can't say how well they went, but they were taken!

Fabric face masks
Disposable face masks
Hand sanitizer
Bag of dry beans
Nail polish
Puzzles
Canned goods
Small toys
Art supplies (I put out a bunch of packages of markers and crayons and glue sticks)
A Lego advent calendar
Lego sets

You get the idea.
Great list. I also put tea in LFLs, because books and tea are a perfect pairing.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
The list from @LD_TAndK is familiar. My mom buys crap snacks and candy from Ikea and Sam's and then she hands it out to us on holidays (Christmas, Valentine's, Easter, July 4th, Thanksgiving, and more). Anyone want a giant bag of "coin" chocolate (probably the lowest cost chocolate ever made)?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
In my family we only eat good chocolate:)).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

I love good chocolate.  I won't even look at the cheap Valentine's Day and Easter chocolate.  It tastes horrible.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Mmm, chocolate... This is the stash I brought back from a visit to family in 2014. It was a six-month supply that lasted maybe one month.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache

I love good chocolate.  I won't even look at the cheap Valentine's Day and Easter chocolate.  It tastes horrible.

In our family, we joke about my mom. When she comes to visit, she eats all of our good chocolate, and then "replaces it" with a big hunk of cheap waxy crap.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

In our family, we joke about my mom. When she comes to visit, she eats all of our good chocolate, and then "replaces it" with a big hunk of cheap waxy crap.

That's like drinking real champagne (i.e. from the Champagne region of France) and replacing it with Baby Duck.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Mmm, chocolate... This is the stash I brought back from a visit to family in 2014. It was a six-month supply that lasted maybe one month.

Some of those are just regular chocolate.  Mars bars, Cadbury. Nothing somewhat  special, like Lindt. Can you not get them where you are?  I mean, I can get a Mars bar at Dollarama for $0.88CAN.

So should we be saying - don't move to Canada for the universal health care, move to Canada because we have good chocolate?   ;-)

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache

Some of those are just regular chocolate.  Mars bars, Cadbury. Nothing somewhat  special, like Lindt. Can you not get them where you are?  I mean, I can get a Mars bar at Dollarama for $0.88CAN.

So should we be saying - don't move to Canada for the universal health care, move to Canada because we have good chocolate?   ;-)

Lindt Gold Bars are my go-to when I want a decent chocolate at a good price. Or, at this time of year, Lindt bunnies from Costco.

You can get some of what's in the pic at a local import store, but, unlike in Canada, you generally don't get real Cadbury chocolate here in the US. We get the Hershey's Cadbury, which has nothing to do with the original Cadbury apart from the name. Cadbury UK were in financial difficulties at one point, and sold the US rights to Hershey.

If I want to move up from Lindt, Neuhaus is probably my favorite.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache

Back in the days before you could find Lindt chocolate everywhere here in the USA as well as some other Swiss brands, my husband‘s family would travel to Switzerland where his relatives live and come home with suitcases full of chocolate bars. When the Swiss relatives came over to the United States they passed out chocolate bars to every household they visited. Chocolate bars were our currency of love.

Lindt is my favorite. Maybe I’ll look out for this Neuhas kind.

One confounding thing about Trader Joe’s was that one time I bought Swiss chocolate there and it was bad. I didn’t know that there was such a thing as bad Swiss choc. But Trader Joe’s was selling it.

Kris

• Walrus Stache

Back in the days before you could find Lindt chocolate everywhere here in the USA as well as some other Swiss brands, my husband‘s family would travel to Switzerland where his relatives live and come home with suitcases full of chocolate bars. When the Swiss relatives came over to the United States they passed out chocolate bars to every household they visited. Chocolate bars were our currency of love.

Lindt is my favorite. Maybe I’ll look out for this Neuhas kind.

One confounding thing about Trader Joe’s was that one time I bought Swiss chocolate there and it was bad. I didn’t know that there was such a thing as bad Swiss choc. But Trader Joe’s was selling it.

I remember the first time I had one of those Lindt balls in the red wrapper… I believe that Heaven opened up and angels began to sing. I still have a soft spot for those.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

I remember the first time I had one of those Lindt balls in the red wrapper… I believe that Heaven opened up and angels began to sing. I still have a soft spot for those.

So much this!!!!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache

So much this!!!!

Yeah. That towns to be what DH and I get each other for birthdays and Christmas, the sack of the lint balls. I got several sex sitting around the house right now in places for I can’t find them because I asked DH to hide them and dole them out to me one  a time when I ask.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
My dad raised us.  We never ate out.  We never went to amusement parks, the theatre or anything else.  No paid entertainment.  He only bought ice cream and cake for birthdays.  There were never cookies or other snacks in the house. He did not give us an allowance.  I cooked for the entire family since I was like 11 years old.   We ate poorly, like hamburgers, mac & cheese, fish sticks or spaghetti every night.  We had a black and white 13" TV well into the late 80's, with very poor snowy reception from an 85% destroyed antenna from the early 70's. He didn't let me get a driver's license before I turned 18. My dad left me no inheritance.  So I can't relate lol.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 08:19:05 PM by JenniferW »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
My dad raised us.  We never ate out.  We never went to amusement parks, the theatre or anything else.  No paid entertainment.  He only bought ice cream and cake for birthdays.  There were never cookies or other snacks in the house. He did not give us an allowance.  I cooked for the entire family since I was like 11 years old.   We ate poorly, like hamburgers, mac & cheese, fish sticks or spaghetti every night.  We had a black and white 13" TV well into the late 80's, with very poor snowy reception from an 85% destroyed antenna from the early 70's. He didn't let me get a driver's license before I turned 18. My dad left me no inheritance.  So I can't relate lol.

Just so you know - your dad sucked. The making your 11 year old make dinner for the whole family every night is getting into abuse territory. I'm sorry that your dad was like that. Even if you were poor, there are ways to behave and treat your kids that even if the facts are similar the adult child's response is radically different.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
I'm cleaning out my parents' house one car load at a time.

If I ask my dad about borrowing anything, he'll immediately find it (and he knows that "borrowing" is really code for "donating to a thrift store")

My mom is happy to give us the extra <anything>. I've learned to be careful and only accept things I know she won't re-purchase though. For example, I'll decline a toilet bowl brush if she offers because she'll pick up a dozen more "just in case." The brand new luggage sets? I'll take those because her traveling days are mostly done and she recognizes that.

better late

• Bristles

Lindt Gold Bars are my go-to when I want a decent chocolate at a good price. Or, at this time of year, Lindt bunnies from Costco.

You can get some of what's in the pic at a local import store, but, unlike in Canada, you generally don't get real Cadbury chocolate here in the US. We get the Hershey's Cadbury, which has nothing to do with the original Cadbury apart from the name. Cadbury UK were in financial difficulties at one point, and sold the US rights to Hershey.

Just a Neuhaus lover chiming in. Those pralines.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache

Just a Neuhaus lover chiming in. Those pralines.

Yes! Sorry for derailing the thread with chocolate posts :)

Last time I went to one of their NYC stores I think I ate $20 worth of free samples.

Spiffy

• Bristles
During the height of the stay at home portion of the pandemic, I cleaned out my stash of fabric and gave a bunch to my Mom, who was supposed to give it to her church's quilting group. This was fabric that I had decided that I was no longer interested in for any project. But instead of donating it, she sewed it all together and made a big fluffy quilt out of it and gave it back to me! So now I have all of that fabric that I don't like back in my possession, but in a form that takes up about three times more the amount of space than it used to.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
If you’re in Canada, try Purdy’s chocolates.  First rate IMO.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
If you’re in Canada, try Purdy’s chocolates.  First rate IMO.

I second this.  Here in Vancouver, they are a really local business too. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
During the height of the stay at home portion of the pandemic, I cleaned out my stash of fabric and gave a bunch to my Mom, who was supposed to give it to her church's quilting group. This was fabric that I had decided that I was no longer interested in for any project. But instead of donating it, she sewed it all together and made a big fluffy quilt out of it and gave it back to me! So now I have all of that fabric that I don't like back in my possession, but in a form that takes up about three times more the amount of space than it used to.

Um... it's the thought that counts? Honestly, I'd donate it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive

Just so you know - your dad sucked. The making your 11 year old make dinner for the whole family every night is getting into abuse territory. I'm sorry that your dad was like that. Even if you were poor, there are ways to behave and treat your kids that even if the facts are similar the adult child's response is radically different.

Being required to cook and clean is normal for female children, and children born into female bodies, regardless of the family structure. Because I was unfortunately born into a female body, scrubbing floors and toilets was normal at age 6. I remember my mother telling me what an embarrassment to the family I was because, at age 11, I couldn't bake a pie. They forced me to learn and to make pie for the family. To this day I despise all pastry and pie in particular.

If a male person had been required to do these things, instead of being allowed to play at the same age, that would have been abusive. The "fun" chores that could be done quickly with some entertainment component were reserved for the male people, so that chores and work were easier for them and so they got used to a higher level of compensation per hour. This set them up to ask for (and frequently get) higher rates of pay as adults. Overall, it was very good training for business, but it did kind of require some designated losers.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Indeed I've long pondered how society socializes girls toward "care" work, while "boys" are pushed toward yard- or repair work.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Indeed I've long pondered how society socializes girls toward "care" work, while "boys" are pushed toward yard- or repair work.
yard (growing food) and cooking are part of the "care" work to repair your body after the hard work.
the division of what work is considered for girls vs boys is damn stupid. self-sufficiency and learning shouldn't have gender-based boundaries.
(saying this as a male who likes to cook, and clean, and repair vehicles, and grows fruits/veg)

back on topic - surviving parent and in-laws do not hoard, give us material crap, etc. but they do say stupid crap sometimes and then it is education time. fortunately they listen and learn.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache

Being required to cook and clean is normal for female children, and children born into female bodies, regardless of the family structure. Because I was unfortunately born into a female body, scrubbing floors and toilets was normal at age 6. I remember my mother telling me what an embarrassment to the family I was because, at age 11, I couldn't bake a pie. They forced me to learn and to make pie for the family. To this day I despise all pastry and pie in particular.

If a male person had been required to do these things, instead of being allowed to play at the same age, that would have been abusive. The "fun" chores that could be done quickly with some entertainment component were reserved for the male people, so that chores and work were easier for them and so they got used to a higher level of compensation per hour. This set them up to ask for (and frequently get) higher rates of pay as adults. Overall, it was very good training for business, but it did kind of require some designated losers.

It used to be perfectly socially acceptable and legal to beat the shit out of your wife, children and animals on a daily basis as well.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
yard (growing food) and cooking are part of the "care" work to repair your body after the hard work.
the division of what work is considered for girls vs boys is damn stupid. self-sufficiency and learning shouldn't have gender-based boundaries.
(saying this as a male who likes to cook, and clean, and repair vehicles, and grows fruits/veg)

back on topic - surviving parent and in-laws do not hoard, give us material crap, etc. but they do say stupid crap sometimes and then it is education time. fortunately they listen and learn.

@jinga nation , have you found a routine or script for managing these types of conversations? I'm starting to get a little concerned about the older adults in my own life, and if there are some tips for convincing them that I still believe in private property (one side) and still believe in public education (the other side), I'd welcome them.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
I've always considered myself lucky for the things my mom taught me. My brother and I being boys didn't save us from learning to cook, clean, etc. the same as our sister. Every Saturday, we were expected to divvy up the dusting and vacuuming (one would dust all of the glass, another would dust all the wood, and the last would vacuum). Every day, we washed dishes after dinner - my brother and sister would wash and rinse, and me being the youngest would dry the silverware. We all helped in the garden and yard (though my sister didn't mow because she was color blind and couldn't tell where she'd been). Once I was a little older, I would get home from school, call my mom at work, and ask what she wanted for dinner. If it was something I hadn't made before, she would walk me through it. Dinner was on the table when mom and dad got home. She taught each of us how to do laundry, from the age of 13 on I did all of my own. We never got an allowance, it was just expected that, as members of the household, we would contribute to that household as we were able. All three of my kids - my son included - also do all of these things (although they do get an allowance). I see it as learning some of the basic life skills they will need to survive on their own. I'm glad my mom taught me all of the things she did!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache

@jinga nation , have you found a routine or script for managing these types of conversations? I'm starting to get a little concerned about the older adults in my own life, and if there are some tips for convincing them that I still believe in private property (one side) and still believe in public education (the other side), I'd welcome them.

Unsure what you mean by "private property" - context unclear.
Wife and I do believe in public education. We only talk about it when someone else starts the conversation, and is willing to have a meaningful dialogue.

I've found it best to NOT impulsively react to "stupid illogical statements" made by adults, young or old. there may be a generational, technological, cultural or some other divide. take a moment to think why older adult said it. and then use logical statements to point out fallacies and come up with a solution/workaround/answer.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:48:34 PM by jinga nation »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Thanks for the wise advice. I was using "private property" and "public education" to very gently signal bogeymen for the far right (who believe the socialists are coming for them) and the far left (who believe Republican policy will completely dismantle any form of public program, no matter how beneficial it's been)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
We went through this with my in-laws' stuff after they passed.  The work involved with hauling everything away has stayed with me.
When we FIREd and relocated we moved from a typical family home that was too big for two people into a +55 condo.  To accomplish this, truckloads of our stuff was donated, consigned and given to nephews.  The move wore us out, but we had huge relief when it was over.
Now I'm watching new neighbors, many of whom are old enough to be my parents, struggle with the downsizing required to move into a place like this.  Many have storage units.  Still, others are always contacting the HOA wanting to know if we want their old furniture and stuff.  We say no to 99% of it.  Otherwise our common areas would look like someone's junky, mismatched basement.  And sometimes I feel like others just want the HOA to function like their estate agent.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
My parents are slowly weeding through things, with the expressly stated mission of my sibling and I not having to go through it when The Time Comes.  While they keep a very tidy house and are not remotely hoarders, there are definitely things that have collected.  This past Christmas, mom separated out the ornaments that were siblings and mine, and those that were hung on the tree growing up but that no longer make the cut (her tree is all teddy bears now).  Sibling and I were each given the ones that were specific to us, and offered our pick of anything else, and everything left over was donated.  It seems like there are more and more of these projects and I occasionally get an email with a photo of a stuffed animal or other sentimental item, asking if I want her to save it and give it to me next time she sees me, or donate it.  I say 'no, thank you' to probably 98% of it it, but have taken a few items either because they are useful to me or because they are highly sentimental. 

And all of this is after they downsized about 15 years ago when moving from the family home to a 55+ community (though still a fairly large house by 55+ community standards, with 3 bedrooms and 3 car garage).

They have space for this stuff so could easily choose to just continue ignoring it.  I know these purging efforts are motivated by just easing the burden for sibling and me , and I genuinely appreciate it.  And they are doing it in such a way that it is not an overwhelming task for them, either.  Just a box here and there, or going through things as they come up (like the Christmas decor). 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
We went through this with my in-laws' stuff after they passed.  The work involved with hauling everything away has stayed with me.
When we FIREd and relocated we moved from a typical family home that was too big for two people into a +55 condo.  To accomplish this, truckloads of our stuff was donated, consigned and given to nephews.  The move wore us out, but we had huge relief when it was over.
Now I'm watching new neighbors, many of whom are old enough to be my parents, struggle with the downsizing required to move into a place like this.  Many have storage units.  Still, others are always contacting the HOA wanting to know if we want their old furniture and stuff.  We say no to 99% of it.  Otherwise our common areas would look like someone's junky, mismatched basement.  And sometimes I feel like others just want the HOA to function like their estate agent.

Movers who specialize in downsizing moves often know of suitable places to donate furniture, and will do the hauling as part of the move.  That is what I did when I went from 3200 sq ft (including a finished basement) to 900 sq ft.  The movers were recommended by my seniors apartment building manager.   If your HOA can find movers like this, recommending them to new buyers would be very useful.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
In-laws did a full storage R&R. Looks great now. Still pulling things out to show DW.

We joke that there must be a hidden storage room somewhere in that house. Hopefully it doesn't look like the warehouse at the end of the first Indiana Jones movie. ;)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
So . . . my elderly mom plays cards at her local public senior center. From the discussions they have there, she learned about public assistance programs, and she has signed herself up for all manner of public assistance including food stamps and getting "hampers" of food from the local mission. We live on opposites sides of the country and I didn't know she had done that until a recent visit. Since her social security income is extremely low, and she didn't save for retirement, I am not opposed to her participating in these programs.

But, the weird thing is the sheer amount of food she has accumulated. She's a little old lady who barely moves around, so she eats like a bird. She cooks from scratch and she's always been really thrifty to a level that would survive the great depression, so she uses the food stamps to buy staples and the cheapest possible version of everything when it is on sale. But instead of telling the mission that she should be taken off of their "holiday hamper" list, for example, she just accumulates and accumulates. Food has built up to overflow her gigantic walk-in closet of a pantry, expired batches of things riddle her fridge, canned goods starting to pile up on her kitchen counters, etc.

For awhile she was trying to fob some of the excess off on my brother and his family, who live nearby. They have a pretty large garden and would rather make their own choices about what food they eat, so they have declined forcefully enough times that she gave up.

So now she reports taking it to the food bank sometimes, which is a good thing. She still has a dragon's pile of food at her house, but at least she has an outlet for all of the excess. The whole cycle just strikes me as weird, though I suppose it gives her something to do. She clearly is proud that she donates to the food bank, since she mentions it pretty much every time I talk to her, so there's that.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
My mother finally got the message that I didn't want any more of her stuff (my home still has not recovered from the influx of items when I emptied her house two years ago). Since shopping was her major life's hobby, she now keeps throwing away stuff (like household goods) saying she's going to die soon and won't need it any more, then rebuying it. Sometimes she tries to slip items to my kids, who don't want them either. I find this frustrating but she's not going to change.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
This weekend's haul:

2 bags of licorice
Half the ingredients to make lasagna
Lotion
Face mask (the skin care kind, not the Covid kind)

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
This weekend's haul:

2 bags of licorice
Half the ingredients to make lasagna
Lotion
Face mask (the skin care kind, not the Covid kind)

So, is this stuff your parent dumped on you?  or is it stuff you removed from their house because you can actually use it?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
My inlaws (in their mid 70s) recently upsized into a 6k square foot house and then began having health problems.

They recently asked us to let them know what furniture we want when they die. They are upset that we didn't want any because they bought it all for their kids to "inherit".

Our house is a bit over 1700 square feet if you include our half finished basement and is over a hundred years old, so the rooms aren't built to accommodate large furniture. We couldn't take their bedroom furniture even if we wanted to, as we wouldn't be able to get it up or down our stairwells.

My mom tries to unload a few things every time we visit, mostly glass wear and such. She often sneaks it into my bags after I've told her no. Usually, I just post it on my neighborhood buy nothing group. I try to encourage my mom to join her local group, as I'm driving stuff hundreds of miles just to dispose of it.  But if people can use it, I'll deal with it for now.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Worked on friends' computer the other night. Actually the computer was fine, had to show them how to use a credit card website.

As I was leaving friend (90s) tried to give me food, clothing and money.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!