Author Topic: Do any of your parents hoard and try to give you crap and other dumb stuff?  (Read 29118 times)

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
By the time you stepped into " I need a formal living and dining room" territory, you are typically in a house that's big enough that it already has an informal dining and living area. Typically a huge kitchen with a table for six to eight, and a huge family room with couch, recliners, big screen, and fireplace. The formal rooms are STRICTLY for show. The kids stay out, the dog isn't lounging in there, and the only way the velvet rope gets lowered to allow usage is when it's a "special occasion".  This is a lot more prevalent than you might imagine.

I grew up two miles from George Washington's Mount Vernon mansion. I remember visiting as a kid often in the years after we moved to Alexandria and had guests who inevitably wanted to go. What struck me then was how formal the living and dining room areas  were in Mount Vernon -- and how that remained almost universally the same 200 years later, including in our home built in 1980.

I hate the concept of unused space. I have a wide open plan here in Florida. Formal areas were fine when people were wearing hoop skirts and powdered wigs. Not today.
Living lean at www.tolivelean.com

Abe

• Pencil Stache
I've moved 3 times in the last 15 years, each time to a smaller house. First from my parent's 6 bedroom house to a 4-bedroom apartment (with college friends). Then to a 3-bedroom house, then a 3-bedroom condo, now a 2-bedroom house. Each time we've realized how much physical detritus comes with us and how little we actually use most of it. I have to say, courtesy of my parents, I've furnished at least 3 houses' worth of things via Salvation Army and Goodwill. In the future I'd like to skip the middle-man (me) and just send it straight to donation. I've suggested this before and accused of being ungrateful. Maybe I am but when gifts become a burden they aren't gifts anymore.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
my mom is one of those crazy coupon ladies who is really good and finding deals on stuff for insanely cheap and will stock up on tons of bottles of shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc. They'll also grab those soaps/shampoos/lotions/etc from hotels and do it every time the cleaning lady refills or sometimes they'll ask the front desk for more.

I don't know if OP is still reading this thread, but mini soaps/shampoos/toothpastes/razors are VERY helpful to the homeless.  As are extra socks and underwear.  See if you can get hold of your mom's stash and donate them.  Just keep enough to make her think you're using them.

Pigeon

• Pencil Stache
my mom is one of those crazy coupon ladies who is really good and finding deals on stuff for insanely cheap and will stock up on tons of bottles of shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc. They'll also grab those soaps/shampoos/lotions/etc from hotels and do it every time the cleaning lady refills or sometimes they'll ask the front desk for more.

I don't know if OP is still reading this thread, but mini soaps/shampoos/toothpastes/razors are VERY helpful to the homeless.  As are extra socks and underwear.  See if you can get hold of your mom's stash and donate them.  Just keep enough to make her think you're using them.

Yes, these things can be very useful to donate.  Food banks accept them, too. 

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache

Yes, these things can be very useful to donate.  Food banks accept them, too.

Toiletries, baby supplies, and kitchen staples (spices, etc) are in general wanted by shelters/foodbanks.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
Formal areas were fine when people were wearing hoop skirts and powdered wigs. Not today.

Odd how the average home size wasn't so huge back then, but women were wearing those enormous butt extenders everywhere they went. I got a close look at a hoop skirt several years ago-- checking it out at one of those places where people dress up in period costumes and then get their picture taken. From an engineering perspective it's terrifying. I see why the South lost the war.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

jeromedawg

• Handlebar Stache

This is *exactly* what we've done. Collected tons of toiletry items and recently cleared out a medicine cabinet and plastic shoebox full of stuff my mom has collected from all her travels and donated them. My wife was insistent on still keeping a few around, which I think is unnecessary but whatever...

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
That is wonderful, jeromedawg! You have no idea how much the homeless want these items... last winter we were distributing clothing and supplies and the toiletries were always first to go.  Great way to make the best of your mom's hoarding, though too bad you have to be the middleman.

marcela

• Bristles
I travel a lot for work and do keep some of the toiletries around in our guest bath. I'll get the little shaving kits and toothbrush ones when I stay at nicer hotels. It is very much appreciated when people forget things to have a small stock available to them.
Most of our stuff goes to the local domestic abuse shelter though.

katsiki

• Pencil Stache
I was thinking the same thing... I collect a lot of soaps etc from traveling.  I end up pitching a lot of it.  Next time, I will find a good place to donate it too.  Great tip!
"busy eating lentils in a van by the river"