Author Topic: Craigslist People Baffle Me Sometimes  (Read 19069 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Craigslist People Baffle Me Sometimes
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »
once i posted a bike on C'list. 
i told 4 diff ppl to meet me at a single metro station.  then i eyeballed the most collegiate/gullible looking one, walked him and around the corner w the bike and gave him a hard sell.  complete with 'i only got 5 minutes, this bike is vintage'

it was so wrong, but so so  right

So you ghosted 3 other people?

You're the kind of jerk that make people dislike craigslist.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2018, 11:07:30 AM »
once i posted a bike on C'list. 
i told 4 diff ppl to meet me at a single metro station.  then i eyeballed the most collegiate/gullible looking one, walked him and around the corner w the bike and gave him a hard sell.  complete with 'i only got 5 minutes, this bike is vintage'

it was so wrong, but so so  right

Wow, what a complete jerk move. That's worse than the time a person I was trying to buy from connected everyone interested into one email chain to start a bidding war. At least I didn't have to drive anywhere and waste my time looking for some person actively avoiding me.

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2018, 01:18:53 PM »
When I was in the midst of changing jobs several years ago I had to drive 2 hours one way for a piss test (just a ridiculous hoop they made me jump through).  On the way back my 2001 Subaru Outback with 210,000 on it blew itself up.  I had the job and it was starting in less than a week and I needed a car.  Off to CL I went.

I'm a Subaru fan so I found another outback.   Happened to be almost exactly the same edition I had, but in much better shape with far fewer miles.  The seller worked at the local Subaru dealer and had had lots of work done to it recently that my mechanic friend confirmed.  I talked him down 500 dollars, shook on it, then made plans to meet at the bank the next day.  I was going to pay the loan he had out on the car in full, plus $300 cash. 

Next day before we meet he reiterates to me via text the total amount I owed him (the loan + $300).  Except in the total amount, which he didn't break down by category, there was an extra $100, as if we had agreed on $400 cash.  I point this out to him and he disagrees saying we had shook on $400.  Even though I needed the car this really had my blood boiling and I didn't contact him for another hour. 

Prior to this he had let slip he needed to sell it because he needed money freed up to pay for other lines of credit he was upside down on (hahaha living above your means).  Finally I texted him back "I was trying to be nice about it, but I know we shook on $300 and frankly it pisses me off that you're trying to trick me.  I'm walking away." 

I don't know how he had time to read it because he texted me back so fast begging I buy the car.  So I did, but told him I'd only pay $200 cash.  We met at the bank later and it's been a great car ever since. 

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2018, 11:27:34 AM »
FB marketplace

I put an ad up for an ikea desk, including the deminsions.

Buyer: what are the deminsions and can I have more pictures?
Me (thinking to myself “why does no one READ the post these days?!”): here’s a picture and *repeats deminsions in post*
Buyer: Thanks. I’m gonna pass, I shouldn’t spend money right now.

Then why are you shopping in a secondhand market for stuff?!

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2018, 05:00:33 PM »
My spouse has had a van posted on Kijiji for a few months. Twice he has had firm agreements to sell for a specific price, with the buyer to come back at a specific time and a hand shake to seal the deal.... and the ad remains up, the van in our driveway... the buyers never came back. So frustrating.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
Put up a nice wooden crib, Simmons Beautyrest baby mattress, etc. on CL. Marked Free... in the Free Stuff category.

Explicitly stated to bring your own vehicle, no delivery. First one to confirm pickup date and time (to meet at the end of my street) gets it.

Received emails asking if I'll deliver. By a lady who claims she's a nurse in the Level 1 Trauma hospital here, pulling a DYKWIA.
Told I'll hold 24 hours... she called me names, nothing explicitly nasty but still rude.

Had some other weirdos asking to meet at odd times and locations. Nope!

These losers can't even join the Free Shit Army. Like zero effort to get free items.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2018, 02:10:37 AM »
I was filling up my car yesterday and got approached by a man. He claimed he had his family in the car, and he needed $17.85 for a part to repair it. My first question was, "Is this car on the interstate? Do you need my help getting it to safety?"

He assured me his car and family were in a safe place. I opened up my change wallet, took out a $5, and said I could give him that. He took it, then help up money he had from a different source, and said he couldn't help but notice that I had enough in my change sack that I could give him the entire amount he needed. Right then and there.

I refused, telling him $5 was all that I could give, and I wished him luck.

But, wow! To not be grateful that he was getting something? It boggles the mind!

I was recently on holiday in Uruguay and had a man (who looked homeless based on the state of his clothes) and for money I have about the equivalent of $3 in change in my pocket so gave it to him, he then started yelling at me, and my Spanish isnt good enough but I assumed he was angry I hadnt given him more, I was trying to back away while trying to say I didnt have more, eventually someone translated that he was angry I had given him so much and he wanted to give me change. He had apparently asked for about $1 and me giving him more upset him. Was a different experience to what I am use to

Korrywow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • World of Wonders, Words of Wisdom
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2018, 10:57:57 PM »
Uruguay. !Que hemosa pais! In Montevideo, a theater arts student pretended she was schizo- homeless while trying to con some money out of me. She failed. However, her unseen accomplice got my recently purchased bread.

Also, l was insulted by waiters many times in that city/country. Sad but true.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2018, 11:22:26 PM »
Uruguay. !Que hemosa pais! In Montevideo, a theater arts student pretended she was schizo- homeless while trying to con some money out of me. She failed. However, her unseen accomplice got my recently purchased bread.

Also, l was insulted by waiters many times in that city/country. Sad but true.

Thats sad everyone I met was lovely, or my Spanish wasnt good enough to understand any insults