Author Topic: Child birthday parties starting at $400  (Read 3187 times)

Sarita

• Stubble
Child birthday parties starting at $400
« on: June 08, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
I live on the Upper East Side in Manhattan.  I walked by a children's clothing store this afternoon and did a double take when I saw a sign in their window: "Birthday parties starting at $400".  By equal measures intrigued and appalled, I walked in and asked for information.  Party includes: 1 birthday girl plus 9 guests, pizza and juice boxes, 1 party favor per guest.  Girls get makeovers, nails with glitter polish, glitter tattoos.  Additional guests $30/child.  Add a theme (fashion show, American girl, etc): $200.

Pretty sure I could do the same thing for, oh, $30, max, in Manhattan.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
Re: Child birthday parties starting at $400
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 03:09:44 PM »
It is funny to me that this thread starts while the "Expensive Bachelor Party" thread is still active. I think these phenomena are related! Self-indulgence seems to be rampant. It's just so...culturally flabby.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »
This is why you
I live on the Upper East Side in Manhattan.

'Nuff said. :D

Sarita

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 06:15:05 PM »
Very true, CarSafetyGuy :).
Manhattan can also be really cheap though--- just need to know where to look.

Mynameisnotfluffydude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »
We went to a party like this one time.  It was an OK time for the girls and complete torture for the parents.  The punchline was that the birthday girl refused to participate in the dressing up or fashion show.  Oh well.

Happily, my kids are low key.  My son's birthday last month was a jello war-treasure hunt... a few dollars worth of jello, some pirate swords and great memories!

zhelud

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:35:45 AM »
Ahhhhh.... I have to confess, we are so un-mustachian about birthday parties. Both of our kids' brithdays are in the winter, so the outside-in-a-park party (which we would love) doesn't work for us. And since our whole family loves laser tag, we have been doing laser tag birthday parties for years- and we get the big multi-game packages too. I think the last one we did was about $300. On the other hand, we don't buy them much in the way of tangible gifts.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 01:13:17 PM »
if your family really enjoys laser tag and $300 doesn't ruin your savings/budget then it's not anti mustchian.