Author Topic: Boats  (Read 10221 times)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Boats
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2020, 06:49:16 AM »
Dang - I would happily maintain your boat for the opportunity to use it occasionally.

If you don't mind doing a bit of "deferred maintenance" I've got a decent project boat that you can have.

(It's a 1994 Chaparral 190 SLC Limited, located in 28031) 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2020, 12:30:56 PM »
Dang - I would happily maintain your boat for the opportunity to use it occasionally.

If you don't mind doing a bit of "deferred maintenance" I've got a decent project boat that you can have.

Wow that is generous! Unfortunately I brought home a toy (cheap camper) over the week. It was cheap but its official - I'm at my limit. ;)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2020, 01:38:13 PM »

Wow that is generous! Unfortunately I brought home a toy (cheap camper) over the week. It was cheap but its official - I'm at my limit. ;)

That's wise not biting off more than you can chew.  Congrats on the camper.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2020, 08:53:12 AM »
One of my friends dad bought a 3-year old hurricane deck boat for 40,000 with cash around 2006-2007. Brand new, I think it was around $60,000. He sold it two years later for $12,000 in 2009.

I have an out of state friend that bought a boat in 2010 and is an elementary school teacher. Similar to the story above, he got a 3 year-old ski boat for $25,000. Brand new, it was probably $75,000.

He is on water 3-5 days/week during his 2.5 month summer vacation. He avoids the weekends because it is too crowded. Even when school starts in late August he still manages to get on the water 2-3 days/week after school. School is out at 2:30 and he is on the water around 3:30-4:00.

I have never seen someone get so much use out of a boat.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2020, 10:42:27 AM »
One of my friends dad bought a 3-year old hurricane deck boat for 40,000 with cash around 2006-2007. Brand new, I think it was around $60,000. He sold it two years later for $12,000 in 2009.

I have an out of state friend that bought a boat in 2010 and is an elementary school teacher. Similar to the story above, he got a 3 year-old ski boat for $25,000. Brand new, it was probably $75,000.

He is on water 3-5 days/week during his 2.5 month summer vacation. He avoids the weekends because it is too crowded. Even when school starts in late August he still manages to get on the water 2-3 days/week after school. School is out at 2:30 and he is on the water around 3:30-4:00.

I have never seen someone get so much use out of a boat.

The teachers I've known have generally been very good at extracting maximum value and enjoyment out of what they buy. They tend to be selective in their purchases and to think things through carefully before buying. They aren't always big savers or investors, but they excel at getting bang for the buck out of their purchases.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2020, 09:02:29 AM »
I love boats. But I let the American taxpayer own them.
A government taxpayer owned boat is the best boat. Especially when they pay you money to drive it. Although I'm a fan of the "little boats" (aka small boats - no officers allowed! Mine! All mine!)  the big white ones have a special place in my heart.

After I got out of the CG the now ex DH and I had a 22 foot dive boat and then a 30 foot sail boat. Paid cash for both and fixed them ourselves. Sail boat was a liveaboard (very inexpensive) with plans to FIRE asap and cruise the world. Didn't work out that way and I'm not interested in getting another boat but love the little things to death. Now I'm into kayaking etc and prefer self powered.

We have a kayak on our sailboat. The sailboat gets us places, then we explore with the kayak.

Well, that is how it is meant to happen. Last year, DH did a shakedown cruise, a recovery cruise and the actual cruise with a friend. He had some time off in between all that, but our sails were late. This year everything was closed, now there isn't enough wind and everyone is motoring to their destinations (no thank you).

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2020, 06:50:18 AM »
I have to admit that if I were a little further along in this journey that there is a 1987 Chris Craft liveaboard that I might seriously consider downsizing into (as in living on full time).  She's pretty. 

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2020, 08:17:13 AM »
I have to admit that if I were a little further along in this journey that there is a 1987 Chris Craft liveaboard that I might seriously consider downsizing into (as in living on full time).  She's pretty.
Those are gorgeous boats. If I had a bottomless budget I would have one in a heartbeat.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2020, 08:51:40 AM »
Full disclosure, I have a 14’ aluminum boat with a 5hp Honda and electric trolling motor, it’s a pretty simple set up but still costs some money in insurance and repairs/maintenance each year.  I often see people on the local Facebook buy and sell pages trying to get someone to take over payments for their fancy ski boat that still has 17 or 18 years left on their 20 year loan, and the payments are like $500-700 a month.  Yikes.  I can’t even imagine spending that, between the loan cost, and usage/maintenance/repairs/insurance and importantly opportunity cost it’s gonna be like a half million dollars this boat has cost them by the end of the 20 year loan and the boat will be worth $10-15k at best. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2020, 08:55:17 AM »
Full disclosure, I have a 14’ aluminum boat with a 5hp Honda and electric trolling motor, it’s a pretty simple set up but still costs some money in insurance and repairs/maintenance each year.  I often see people on the local Facebook buy and sell pages trying to get someone to take over payments for their fancy ski boat that still has 17 or 18 years left on their 20 year loan, and the payments are like $500-700 a month.  Yikes.  I can’t even imagine spending that, between the loan cost, and usage/maintenance/repairs/insurance and importantly opportunity cost it’s gonna be like a half million dollars this boat has cost them by the end of the 20 year loan and the boat will be worth $10-15k at best.

So, the set of people who own boats for leisure has increasingly less overlap with the set of people who refuse to borrow money to purchase a depreciating asset.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2020, 09:08:18 AM »

So, the set of people who own boats for leisure has increasingly less overlap with the set of people who refuse to borrow money to purchase a depreciating asset.

If your boat has the proper facilities, it may qualify as a second mortgage.

But yeah, we thought we were being naughty to get a zero 0% LOC for our first boat, then I found out how many people are trying to get a loan payment they can afford...

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2020, 11:50:32 AM »
As one boat owner once told me, the two happiest days when you own a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell 8t.

Only people who don't like their boats say that. I cried when we sold our first boat.

Naw, naw, shipmate. This day was very happy. Rivaled my wedding day in pure fucking mainlined joy. Am I bragging? Yes! Is that my ass in the old man's chair? ALSO YES!

Do I have a bruise on my cheek from pugil sticks? Whoop, moving right along....

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2020, 12:28:57 PM »
As one boat owner once told me, the two happiest days when you own a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell 8t.

Only people who don't like their boats say that. I cried when we sold our first boat.

Naw, naw, shipmate. This day was very happy. Rivaled my wedding day in pure fucking mainlined joy. Am I bragging? Yes! Is that my ass in the old man's chair? ALSO YES!

Do I have a bruise on my cheek from pugil sticks? Whoop, moving right along....

You made it? You're now the Old Man? Congratulations!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2020, 12:34:52 PM »
I am, and it's the most delightful fucking thing in the entire fucking universe!

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2020, 12:55:45 PM »
I am, and it's the most delightful fucking thing in the entire fucking universe!

WHOOOOO congratulations!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2020, 02:31:21 PM »

Congrats!! 

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2020, 02:33:54 PM »
Captain!!! Well done.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2020, 02:42:23 PM »
Captain!!! Well done.
you should start a journal to notate that sort of stuff in!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2020, 02:42:58 PM »
Captain!!! Well done.

Uhhhh....

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2020, 04:38:42 PM »
Captain!!! Well done.
Yes please! I really didn’t want to post in a thread called boats, but no way am I going to let that go by without a big congratulations. I salute you sir.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2020, 03:49:01 PM »
We had a sailboat growing up that my dad partially built in our side yard. I'd say we went out about once a month or so since it was at a marina about an hour away. I didn't appreciate it that much as it was always windy and usually not that warm (Columbia River). My parents finally sold it about 15 years ago and I'm sure my dad still misses it. My mom told him he had to get rid of one of his toys as they were getting older and between the boat and his first car (classic Jaguar) the boat lost. Also, all the kids were out of the house by then and it barely got any use.

I look at any boat with a motor and all I can see is a money pit. Plus, here in NM there's only a handful of places to use a boat and all involve driving an hour or more and dealing with lots of crowds. No thanks.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2020, 04:12:50 PM »
I've been wanting a boat for a long time. Nothing fancy, just something stable that I could use for fishing and for getting to remote boat-in campsites.

But I didn't want something that needed to be trailered. Too much hassle and takes too much room in our small yard. And towing a trailer on 4wd roads isn't fun.

Was considering an ultralight high-end canoe. At just 40 lbs for a 2-person model it would be easy to get on/off the top of my truck, and it could be stored out of the way by hoisting up high in my garage. But I was worried about stability. Yes, I could add outriggers for this, but it's one more thing.

Then I found a 2-person folding inflatable pontoon boat by Sea Eagle: https://www.seaeagle.com/FoldCat/375fc It's pretty much perfect for what I'm doing. Setup is about 15-20 minutes to inflate and attach various do-dads. Easy to row and extremely stable. Deflates and rolls up into a bag in about 10 minutes.

No trailer and stows nicely in a corner in the garage. I may add an electric trolling motor at some point, but for now happy rowing it around in lakes.