Author Topic: Anyone picking up their new clown car at a vending machine?  (Read 4176 times)

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
Re: Anyone picking up their new clown car at a vending machine?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 03:21:38 PM »
Wait... you actually have to purchase the car without even getting to look at it?

I looked at a few cars and haven't seen a single decent photo. A VW Passat for example came without a single photo of the actual car - it showed the steering wheel, the onboard entertainment system, the engine, and the rear seats - that's it.

I don't get it... why would anyone buy a (used) car without taking a look and test driving it first?

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 03:42:03 PM »
A couple guys at work have purchased a vehicle from Carvana and have recommended it.

Of course, they are consuma suckas.

Though Carvana will take the car back anytime within 7 days, no questions asked. I don't see it as too bad, especially if you are looking for something specific.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 06:21:54 AM »
eh, you guys and your hang-ups with vending machines.

I used carvana. I didn't want to deal with user car lot vultures, the asswipes at carshmacks with their holier-than-thou attitude, and local brand dealer didn't have any. There's a carvana location about 30 miles from home.

ordered the car, wife and i drove it around for 3 days, then dropped it off on an errand. while the car was nice, and looked like it had been serviced and inspected well, they were asking way above others. it's a convenience markup that's understandable. we weren't in a hurry to buy.

5/7 would use them if needed a car urgently.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 09:01:02 AM »
eh, you guys and your hang-ups with vending machines.

I used carvana. I didn't want to deal with user car lot vultures, the asswipes at carshmacks with their holier-than-thou attitude, and local brand dealer didn't have any. There's a carvana location about 30 miles from home.

ordered the car, wife and i drove it around for 3 days, then dropped it off on an errand. while the car was nice, and looked like it had been serviced and inspected well, they were asking way above others. it's a convenience markup that's understandable. we weren't in a hurry to buy.

5/7 would use them if needed a car urgently.

This is more for comedy than shame, just thought it was fun to share :)

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
So free car rental for 3-7 days?!

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 11:54:58 AM »

Haha - this may fall a little close to the cheap side in the cheap vs frugal debate.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 12:22:47 PM »
They built one of these right next to the freeway here; I drive past it on the way to my gf's house. It's obviously more of a publicity stunt, since their for sale inventory has to be way bigger than the "vending machine" will hold. They have it lit up at night, so everyone driving by will notice it and their name printed on it.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 06:13:03 AM »
They have the worst pics of any online site I've tried. When I was looking for a car I found a few on Carvana, but not one picture showed what I needed to see to determine which options were on the cars. The listings were terrible in that regard - I couldn't tell much about the cars from the descriptions.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 10:53:54 AM »
My colleague sold is Golf TDI (2 weeks before the VW scandal broke) to Carvana, so they were on my radar when we needed to purchase a car this spring. And I completely agree, their pictures were few and horrible, their selection was very limited, and the pictures were minimal and pretty much useless. My colleague had nothing but good things to say about selling to them though.

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 08:40:18 AM »
After further deliberations I have to retract my previous statement. Carvana is actually not half bad.

First of all, you are not limited to whatever selection your local used auto dealer happens to carry.
Second, as mentioned by @jinga nation, you can avoid the usual hassle of having to deal with car salesmen.
Third, I didn't know that before but you get a 7 day no-questions-asked return policy with a full refund. Much better than the usual 10 minutes with the salesman on the passenger seat trying to upsell you on some warranty or service package.
Fourth, after searching and comparing for days I realized that their prices were actually fairly competitive if you're looking for a car in the 2-3 years and less than 50k miles category as those can rarely ever be found from private sellers (I realize that those are not particularly mustachian, but good luck arguing with a pregnant wife who refuses to endanger her unborn child in a small fuel-efficient Yaris surrounded by massive pickup trucks and full-size SUVs... GO TEXAS!).

Long story short: last night I ended up purchasing an almost fully loaded low-mileage 2017 Kia Soul for slightly over 14k. The next best offer would have been at least 1.5k more, and the average price for that particular vehicle (2015-2017 model) around Austin is around 2.5k more (oddly enough, for some reason unbeknownst to me used cars are more expensive in Austin than they are in San Antonio, Houston, or Dallas).

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 08:08:33 AM »
I looked at Carvana.  The prices were actually better than Carmax and the selection is better without necessarily having to pay a transport fee.  I got a little spooked, though, about the number of people who said the car was in much worse shape than the pictures showed.  Plus I heard the trade-in value given on your car was the worst of anywhere.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 06:52:18 AM »
I looked at Carvana.  The prices were actually better than Carmax and the selection is better without necessarily having to pay a transport fee.  I got a little spooked, though, about the number of people who said the car was in much worse shape than the pictures showed.  Plus I heard the trade-in value given on your car was the worst of anywhere.
Bolded by me.

A case of judging a book by it's cover. Let's ignore the engine and transmission and interior cleanliness, amirite?

I don't bother with trade-in at dealers. I live near a large university, I have a ready market for reliable, high mileage Hondas and Toyotas.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 07:51:20 AM »

Haha - this may fall a little close to the cheap side in the cheap vs frugal debate.

This was my first thought as well, but today's world really does require some outside the box thinking sometimes.

They are offering a free 7 day usage in exchange for a sale. I suppose using them as a free rental car does stretch to the point of unfair.

Some people will rent a car while still having use of their existing car, for the sole purpose of seeing how that car fits their life. This company is saying do that, but do not pay for it. I can see how many might find that appealing.

I buy older cars, so this service is not for me.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 01:08:51 PM »
After further deliberations I have to retract my previous statement. Carvana is actually not half bad.

First of all, you are not limited to whatever selection your local used auto dealer happens to carry.
Second, as mentioned by @jinga nation, you can avoid the usual hassle of having to deal with car salesmen.
Third, I didn't know that before but you get a 7 day no-questions-asked return policy with a full refund. Much better than the usual 10 minutes with the salesman on the passenger seat trying to upsell you on some warranty or service package.
Fourth, after searching and comparing for days I realized that their prices were actually fairly competitive if you're looking for a car in the 2-3 years and less than 50k miles category as those can rarely ever be found from private sellers (I realize that those are not particularly mustachian, but good luck arguing with a pregnant wife who refuses to endanger her unborn child in a small fuel-efficient Yaris surrounded by massive pickup trucks and full-size SUVs... GO TEXAS!).

Long story short: last night I ended up purchasing an almost fully loaded low-mileage 2017 Kia Soul for slightly over 14k. The next best offer would have been at least 1.5k more, and the average price for that particular vehicle (2015-2017 model) around Austin is around 2.5k more (oddly enough, for some reason unbeknownst to me used cars are more expensive in Austin than they are in San Antonio, Houston, or Dallas).

Don't let your Soul get repossessed!!!!

We have used Car Max once. Was the best car transaction I've ever had. Car was perfect inside and out and today a couple years later the car has been flawless. Fast transaction process too. We brought our own funds. Car was low end of NADA estimates. CPO cars were $5K (?) more from dealers I would have to drive 1-3 hrs to only to begin the patience wars with the sales staff. Nobody wanted to deal over the email nor was their inventory as well detailed online. Car Max had a couple dozen pictures inside and out over every car. Maybe Car Max is lousy in other locations but it was all good here. 

They checked on us some time later to make sure we liked the vehicle. We had 5 days to return the car for a full refund. Not heard from them since so no sales people cold calling or sales flyers.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:15:24 PM by Just Joe »

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »
We had 5 days to return the car for a full refund. Not heard from them since so no sales people cold calling or sales flyers.

This makes me smile - I bought a 2 year old Honda Jazz from a Honda dealer. A while later I got a flyer and calls about the new Jazz.

Me: "No, I already bought a Jazz from you, thanks".
Salesman: "When were you thinking of changing your car?"
Me: "In about 7 years"
Salesman: *Laughs*

I think he thought I was joking, but I haven't heard from them since.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 03:26:12 PM »
I heavily considered Carvana for our Porsche Cayman purchase. They were competitively priced. However, in the end they didn't have the color/options we wanted. Also, I didn't like the way they displayed pictures on their site. The resolution isn't very good.

This was my first thought as well, but today's world really does require some outside the box thinking sometimes.

If you drive it more than 400 miles they will charge you $1 for each additional mile. If you are outside one of their local markets you will not be refunded the delivery fee. If you continue to exchange cars the money back guarantee does not apply to the third car. You're also stuck with the car if you damage it.
https://www.carvana.com/faq/limits

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 04:29:31 PM »
I heavily considered Carvana for our Porsche Cayman purchase. They were competitively priced. However, in the end they didn't have the color/options we wanted. Also, I didn't like the way they displayed pictures on their site. The resolution isn't very good.

If you drive it more than 400 miles they will charge you $1 for each additional mile. If you are outside one of their local markets you will not be refunded the delivery fee. If you continue to exchange cars the money back guarantee does not apply to the third car. You're also stuck with the car if you damage it.
https://www.carvana.com/faq/limits

Makes sense to have limits. These should keep away the folks wanting to take advantage.

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 06:19:27 AM »
Me: "No, I already bought a Jazz from you, thanks".
Salesman: "When were you thinking of changing your car?"
Me: "In about 7 years"
Salesman: *Laughs*
Had to laugh at that because I've had the exact same phone call in early 2017 around six months after purchasing a used 10-year old Sedona from a Kia dealership.

@Just Joe I didn't know CarMax also gave you a 5-day return period, that's good to know.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 09:08:40 AM »
Major pet peeve.  I can't even view the site because I am outside the US.  I don't want to have to log on to a VPN just to look at a website, but I will be in the US in a few months, looking to buy a used car.  If I could check them out and see what they offer, if they are available in the area in which I'll be buying, etc., they would likely be in contention.  Plenty of websites that don't sell to my current location allow me to browse and explore, but not purchase.  It's incredibly short sited not.