Author Topic: Antimustachian PRODUCTS of Shame and Comedy  (Read 36944 times)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Antimustachian PRODUCTS of Shame and Comedy
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2018, 01:38:29 PM »
Without a doubt, no product causes me more dismay than Yeti coolers. The concept of a "luxury" cooler is just mind-boggling.

Also up there would be ~$10,000 bicycles. Diminishing returns much? A pro would still wax your ass riding a thrift store huffy beach cruiser. (In fact that would be pretty damn fun to watch.)

Edit to add (regarding Yeti):

... and to the "oh, but they're BEAR PROOF" crowd. What about this one? Is this $200 cooler bear proof?

https://www.amazon.com/YETI-Hopper-Portable-Cooler-Tahoe/dp/B00SU9AHEC/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1523380123&sr=1-4&keywords=yeti+cooler

I borrowed my brother's Yeti cooler once during a prolonged power outage.  To it's credit, it did keep my ice/food cold longer than my cheapo coolers, but I don't think it's enough to warrant spending that much on a cooler.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2018, 05:37:44 PM »
Sorry to interrupt the mulch discussion... but Instagram keeps trying to sell me some kind of skin product with the tagline "The average woman spends $250 a month on skin care."
What?
WHAT?
WUT...?

I don't even properly recall what they're trying to sell me, but barring those who need to see an actual dermatologist for skin issues (which I know is an experience that some folks have), who is spending that much? 
They're saying "Average."

I do know women who spend way more than that on makeup. Luckily, my wife is not one of them :) She looks just as good without the makeup, as far as I'm concerned.

She tells me about some of her friends who have to have nails done every week or two, get all sorts of massages, facials, plucking, etc. We can't imagine how much they must spend every month.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2018, 07:32:28 PM »
Sorry to interrupt the mulch discussion... but Instagram keeps trying to sell me some kind of skin product with the tagline "The average woman spends $250 a month on skin care."
What?
WHAT?
WUT...?

I don't even properly recall what they're trying to sell me, but barring those who need to see an actual dermatologist for skin issues (which I know is an experience that some folks have), who is spending that much? 

I do know women who spend way more than that on makeup. Luckily, my wife is not one of them :) She looks just as good without the makeup, as far as I'm concerned.

She tells me about some of her friends who have to have nails done every week or two, get all sorts of massages, facials, plucking, etc. We can't imagine how much they must spend every month.

Do you think this is average?
Maybe I’m just out of touch.
I wear makeup every day ( I look like the ghost of a witch with influenza without it)... but I probably spend... $3-$5/month?

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2018, 02:48:12 AM »

Did it quote a source or do ads not do that any more?

I figure either they've just pulled the figure out of their ass, or it's a survey of a select group, e.g. a poll of readers of 'Rich and Beautiful magazine'.

Also it says skincare, not skincare and makeup. Presumably it's for people who go through a pot of Creme de la Mer a month?

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2018, 07:33:23 AM »
I'm horrified that all these years I've haven't given any consideration to my foot coverings when I settle in to read. 

(these are C$34.50! per pair)

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »
I'm horrified that all these years I've haven't given any consideration to my foot coverings when I settle in to read. 

I found out that sherpa lining is polyester fabric with large naps, which looks like sheep's wool.  So is fake sherpa lining made from fake polyester? 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2018, 07:59:07 AM »
What?
WHAT?
WUT...?

Do you think this is average?
Maybe I’m just out of touch.
I wear makeup every day ( I look like the ghost of a witch with influenza without it)... but I probably spend... $3-$5/month?

It seems ridiculous. My mom probably spends $150-200 per month total on beauty purchases, but that includes her Lancôme skin care and makeup plus a salon cut and color every 4-6 weeks. I already find that excessive, so I have trouble getting my mind around $250 on skin care alone. I guess maybe it would require very high-end products and multiple facials per month.

I use drugstore skin products. I think I spend maybe $50 per year on them. Probably another $70 on makeup: I don’t wear much and buy a few specific $20 items (foundation, brow pencil, lipstick) annually because they work really well for me, plus a few tubes of drugstore mascara on sale. So really, about $10/month on skin care + makeup.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2018, 08:07:23 AM »
I probably spend about $10 or less per month on skin care and make up.  I use a drug store moisturizer, cetaphil face cleanser also from the drug store and a few $20 makeup products that I hardly ever run out of (I only wear make up when I'm at work).  But cutting and coloring my hair costs around Euro 300 a year (I do it three times a year at Euro 100 a pop).  I'm thinking about going back to my mousy brown hair with a bit of gray but this is a difficult thing for me to give up.

I thought I was pretty average but a lot of my girlfriends seem to spend a lot on face creams, cleansers etc.  I think a lot of it is insecurity about aging as I'm in my 40s and so are a lot of my friends.  But $250 sounds really extreme.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »

At least it's good know that no actual Sherpas were harmed in the making of these socks!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »
I buy so little makeup that DD lent me blush and powder (and nail polish) for her wedding.  Pictures mean I need more makeup, or I look like I just got off my sick-bed.  I probably don't spend $250/year.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2018, 10:36:05 AM »

When I saw these, my mind instantly rejected the idea of $34 socks and I saw $3.45 socks.  And I thought, "Wait, 'reading socks' is a dumb idea, but at least they're not too expensive."

Then I took a look and thought, "Oh, holy shit!"

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2018, 02:48:43 PM »
Who knows how accurate this is but a survey stated that https://www.byrdie.com/average-cost-of-beauty-maintenance
women spend an average of 313 a month on the "appearance" which is different than skin care. Doesn't include clothes but does include  facials, haircuts, makeup, manicures, and pedicures. Also states "the study grouped fitness spending together with appearance spending."

Men spend an average of 244 which is spent in order of: facial moisturizer, gym memberships, hand cream, shaving products, and supplements. REALLY? What guys are these? I don't think I've ever seen my ex use facial or hand lotion let alone buy it. The guy I'm seeing, in his shower is just a body/skin gel, which he uses for everything including his hair. No shampoo, no conditioner. No sign of facial, hand lotion. I do think he has a cheap bottle of body lotion though.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:51:22 PM by partgypsy »

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2018, 02:53:37 PM »
That seems high, but I know I'm at the low end. Haircuts $50 twice a year, sunscreen $30 a year, shampoo conditioner $20/year, maybe another $20 or so on miscellaneous stuff like lotion. Are we counting deodorant and soap? No hair dye, mani/pedis, makeup, facials, etc. So I guess for me it's under twenty bucks a month on my appearance. Seems reasonable.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
I'd like to say that I don't spend that much, but my hair costs $90 about 6 times a year and I buy relatively expensive shampoo to keep the color from falling out.  That's my big splurge, but body wash, deodorant, and stuff like that probably adds another $5-10 a month, so I'm probably at $60 a month.  I've recently stretched the hair appointments out from every 6 weeks to every 8, so that has helped.  I wish I could do my own hair, but I fail at girly stuff. 

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »
I get my very short hair cut every 6-7 weeks at £22 inc tip. The very length saves me time and hassle in the mornings, but I do need it cut regularly or it looks scruffy.
I dye it myself, using half a £7 box dye, rather than than £25 a time at the hairdresser. Shampoo is £2.50/ bottle maybe twice a year.

Minimal make up, not worn often, maybe £60 a year for the odd replacement item and several new lip balms and nail varnishes. Pedicures I do myself regularly. A fancy £20 cleanser that I like lasts me years (the current one was a present anyway). Body lotion, deodorant, hand cream, razors as needed. So maybe £320 per year max?

(Though it's a bit less at the moment as I won a voucher for the Body Shop a year ago, so have got face moisturisers, body lotion, and some random bits I fancied like foot soak, eye cream for free!)

If you start to include fitness classes that total would be much higher, Pilates is £7/class but helps my back, I like to go twice a week plus do some stretches at home. Well worth it to me.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2018, 06:48:50 AM »
Advert on this forum. I can't even imagine the maintenance costs on used MB.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2018, 09:06:54 AM »

Does anyone remember a TV commercial a few years back advertising "driving shoes"?

I guess I shouldn't mock too aggressively: The day after tomorrow (which is the U.S.'s gluttonous Thanksgiving holiday) I will be switching into my "eating pants," which bear a striking resemblance to sweat pants.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2018, 09:17:31 AM »

Does anyone remember a TV commercial a few years back advertising "driving shoes"?

I guess I shouldn't mock too aggressively: The day after tomorrow (which is the U.S.'s gluttonous Thanksgiving holiday) I will be switching into my "eating pants," which bear a striking resemblance to sweat pants.

Driving shoes are a real and important thing. I still have a pair from my racing days. Not sure about the commercial though.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2018, 09:23:11 AM »

Driving shoes are a real and important thing. I still have a pair from my racing days. Not sure about the commercial though.
My guess is that they're not selling auto-racing sports equipment, but rather something like this: http://www.carshoe.com/it/en/collection/man/product/kud615-5hl-f098h-driving-shoes-antic-lux-blue-plus-tobacco
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:25:02 AM by dcheesi »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2018, 01:46:33 PM »

My guess is that they're not selling auto-racing sports equipment, but rather something like this: http://www.carshoe.com/it/en/collection/man/product/kud615-5hl-f098h-driving-shoes-antic-lux-blue-plus-tobacco

Fancypants football shoes?

I never had problems with my feet slipping away from the pedals, whatever shoes I was wearing. Maybe because my car is not so long that I have to lie in it to reach them?

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2018, 06:52:10 AM »
$250/month on skin care!  Nuts.

I have a weakness for beauty products,  but over the years I have found a regimen of inexpensive products that works well for me.  I might spend $20/month on average between day cream, night cream, serum, eye cream, face cleanser, toner.  I know that a lot of that is not really necessary, but I enjoy it, and I don't think that amount of money is excessive. 

I am just trying to figure out how one spends that much!  Maybe frequent facials? I have never had one of those. 

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2018, 07:21:19 AM »

Fancypants football shoes?

I never had problems with my feet slipping away from the pedals, whatever shoes I was wearing. Maybe because my car is not so long that I have to lie in it to reach them?
From reading through the history of "driving mocs", another suggestion was that they were meant to prevent one's $1000 Farragamos from becoming scuffed or worn while operating the pedals1. One would simply slip off one's dress shoes and put these on while driving one's Maserati from A to B, and then switch back before leaving the vehicle.

One point that corroborates this is that these shoes are notorious for getting chewed up in the toe region just from walking normally on a sidewalk. It's part of the design of the shoe, to the point where even the more practical of the cheap knock-offs generally retain that (IMHO fatal) flaw.

1 Though at the price they're now charging for these, it doesn't seem like this would represent much of a savings!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:29:01 AM by dcheesi »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2018, 07:37:29 AM »

$265 for maintenance/repair in the third year. $1,085 in the tenth year. Or roughly double what you would expect from a Nissan.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/the-cost-of-car-ownership/

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2018, 09:38:39 AM »
Figure this would be a great place to post some really funny "deals" or products that make us giggle. I'll start!

Below is Evian Facial Spray, I've actually found single, 1.7oz bottles of this for sale on the interwebs for $9.99 a bottle. This stuff is simple mineral water in a spray bottle. At that price they are basically selling mineral water for $752 a gallon!!!

I think the best part of it all is what happens when you spell Evian backward...

At least you can pick it up on Amazon right now for a highly discounted price of $15 for 3.4oz, or $564 a gallon!

https://www.amazon.com/evian-Natural-Mineral-Facial-Travel/dp/B001PMIN10/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1523366667&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=evian%2Bfacial%2Bspray&th=1
I have this.  I get them in my Xmas stocking every few years.  My current bottle is probably 4 or 5 years old.  I remember to spray my face about once every 6 months with it.  It feels refreshing in the summer and shocking in the winter.  This year, I've asked for aerosol fire extinguishers so I don't get silly stuff in my stocking.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2018, 04:20:28 AM »
Google are running advertisements on TV now trying to get me to buy some sleek shit product I can talk to, that will apparently turn on my Christmas Tree Lights. It's supposed to be like Alexa? I wasn't really giving full attention.

I can pay $66 to yell at a robot box to turn on the lights for me, or I can get up off my ass and mov 3 feet to flick the power switch.

These robot house overlords give me the heeby jeebies.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2018, 05:09:59 AM »
Google are running advertisements on TV now trying to get me to buy some sleek shit product I can talk to, that will apparently turn on my Christmas Tree Lights. It's supposed to be like Alexa? I wasn't really giving full attention.

I can pay $66 to yell at a robot box to turn on the lights for me, or I can get up off my ass and mov 3 feet to flick the power switch.

You probably have not heard the BAD things that have happened with IoT things. "Intelligent" puppets secretly eavesdropping and intelligently interpreting what your little child says and than sending you ads if it voices "I want..."
Dildos that can be openly accessed by everyone, including their usage history.
Thousands of users not able to turn on their heating because the server of their "smart" heating are not reachable.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »

Yes, Google Assistant is like Alexa/Siri/Cortana (except that not all "smart" devices work with each company's assistant). Buying just the Google Home "smart" speaker is not enough (it's not even required if you already have an Android device) - you also have to buy a $5-20 "smart" outlet to plug your lights into, connect the smart outlet to the internet and teach Google that you've plugged in your Christmas lights to the outlet. Doesn't that sound like a product that will make people's lives happier? Maybe Dave Ramsey or Susie Orman will pay the robot spies to show ads to people if they eavesdrop on stressful conversations about money.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2018, 10:50:16 AM »
Swiffers.

Hey guys, let's take something that works just fine but costs next to nothing (a broom or a mop) and then make an unnecessarily complicated gadget where you have to buy special cleaning pads every time you use it.  Best part - it doesn't actually save any time over the cheaper method.

GENIUS!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2018, 11:38:04 AM »
This forum showed me wet mops with washable terry cloth heads several years ago. Genuis! (aka obvious!)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2018, 02:14:39 PM »

Yes, Google Assistant is like Alexa/Siri/Cortana (except that not all "smart" devices work with each company's assistant). Buying just the Google Home "smart" speaker is not enough (it's not even required if you already have an Android device) - you also have to buy a $5-20 "smart" outlet to plug your lights into, connect the smart outlet to the internet and teach Google that you've plugged in your Christmas lights to the outlet. Doesn't that sound like a product that will make people's lives happier? Maybe Dave Ramsey or Susie Orman will pay the robot spies to show ads to people if they eavesdrop on stressful conversations about money.

It really depends on how you use it.  I won't lie, I love my home automation.  Funny enough, the smart outlets are the things that I bought on a whim when they were on sale and ended up liking them a lot more than I thought I would.  A good example is my TV.  When we moved to streaming, there was a bit of a learning curve about how we couldn't fall asleep in front of the TV and have it run all night.  With my smart outlets, the TV and Fire Stick turn themselves off at certain times of the night in case they get left on.  DH is also bad about forgetting about this electric heater/fireplace insert thingy.  I can program it to turn off after it's used $2 worth of electricity so that it's not running all day because he's left it running all day when no one's home.  They also double as energy monitors, so I'm getting all kinds of cool data about where we're using power.  Would it be better to be more thoughtful about turning things on and off?  Probably.  But I have a 5 year old and a husband with ADHD who leave for school long after I've left for work.  This is better right now than me nagging because they left the lights on...again (the lights come on for them in the morning and turn off shortly after they should be gone for the day). 

ETA:  I also have a small freezer that, because of where it's located, has the tendency to come unplugged.  I've lost everything in it more than once due to this happening.  I now get an email if it comes unplugged so that I can address the issue ASAP.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 03:24:52 PM by Sugaree »

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2018, 04:38:19 PM »

It was a bit tongue in cheek, I expected you were talking about something ridiculous. Apparently what I was referring to, is more commonly listed under "motorsport shoe".

Although looking at those expensive ones, they do have the appearance of functionality. The sole continuing up the back is a functional piece that keeps your foot from slipping.

cthoops

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2018, 06:53:09 PM »
Without a doubt, no product causes me more dismay than Yeti coolers. The concept of a "luxury" cooler is just mind-boggling.

Also up there would be ~$10,000 bicycles. Diminishing returns much? A pro would still wax your ass riding a thrift store huffy beach cruiser. (In fact that would be pretty damn fun to watch.)

... and to the "oh, but they're BEAR PROOF" crowd. What about this one? Is this $200 cooler bear proof?

https://www.amazon.com/YETI-Hopper-Portable-Cooler-Tahoe/dp/B00SU9AHEC/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1523380123&sr=1-4&keywords=yeti+cooler

I borrowed my brother's Yeti cooler once during a prolonged power outage.  To it's credit, it did keep my ice/food cold longer than my cheapo coolers, but I don't think it's enough to warrant spending that much on a cooler.

We live on our 41 year old 30 foot sailboat and use our Yeti in lieu of a refrigerator. Best cooler we’ve ever owned, but admittedly not many people would use one in the same way that we do.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2018, 05:23:42 AM »

We live on our 41 year old 30 foot sailboat and use our Yeti in lieu of a refrigerator. Best cooler we’ve ever owned, but admittedly not many people would use one in the same way that we do.

I can see that.  DH and I have talked about living on a sailboat.  I don't think his back is going to allow for it to be a full-time thing.  At least not on the 30' Pearson that we have (it's really FIL's).  We looked at a 40' Hunter once.  The owner was looking to dump it (second happiest day of a boat owner's life, right?), but we just couldn't justify slip rent, plus it's really not a lake boat and we're currently 6 hours from the coast. 

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2019, 07:47:50 AM »
Seen at my local pharmacy. They sell two kinds of generic allergy eye drops, each shelved next to a different name brand.

You can see that they have exactly the same active ingredients. Literally the only difference between them is the color of the box. But the name brands they're competing with have different prices, so the blue box costs $2 more than the magenta box!

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2019, 03:02:27 PM »
I'd like to say that I don't spend that much, but my hair costs $90 about 6 times a year and I buy relatively expensive shampoo to keep the color from falling out.  That's my big splurge, but body wash, deodorant, and stuff like that probably adds another $5-10 a month, so I'm probably at $60 a month.  I've recently stretched the hair appointments out from every 6 weeks to every 8, so that has helped.  I wish I could do my own hair, but I fail at girly stuff.

I spent $408 last year on cosmetic things...$170 on necessary toiletries, $95 (cheap) haircuts, $70 drycleaning, $49 makeup, $24 hair dye. The makeup isn't the expensive thing for me (I buy expensive foundation but it lasts ~2.5 years) so much as the sunscreen and deodorant that I go through quickly in the summer.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2019, 08:21:42 AM »
Seen at my local pharmacy. They sell two kinds of generic allergy eye drops, each shelved next to a different name brand.

You can see that they have exactly the same active ingredients. Literally the only difference between them is the color of the box. But the name brands they're competing with have different prices, so the blue box costs $2 more than the magenta box!
That's just a sleazy scam, since the contents of both generics match those of the cheaper branded formulation. They're trying to trick people into thinking that the blue box is equivalent to the higher-priced formulation, *and* charging an equivalent premium for it!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2019, 09:38:20 AM »

That's just a sleazy scam, since the contents of both generics match those of the cheaper branded formulation. They're trying to trick people into thinking that the blue box is equivalent to the higher-priced formulation, *and* charging an equivalent premium for it!

I bought allergy eye drops recently. Spent at least 5 minutes looking at the different boxes, figuring out which was which, then doing the math. There were 2 sets of boxes that had different active ingredients from each other, and various sales/promos attached. For one set, the brand name was cheaper. For the other, the generic was cheaper. I happened to want the active ingredient in the set where the generic was cheaper, so that's what I got.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2019, 06:32:05 PM »
I don't think that people have cottoned onto the fact that most food manufacturers have a premium and a discount brand. It's the exact same product. Ice cream, for example. There's usually a store brand, which is made by one of the more expensive brands. You only have to check the ingredient list to find out, because it will be worded in the exact same way with the exact same quantities. Cheese is another good one - the manufacturer will have multiple different branding (and prices) for the same frickin block of cheddar. There are WAAAAY fewer manufacturers than there are brands, figure it out, people!

And people definitely haven't managed to figure out that there's a reason that it's usually not required to put the ingredients on cleaning products. Because it's made of incredibly cheap chemicals. Shower glass/soap scum cleaner? Tartaric acid. Mold-rid products? Watered down chlorine bleach with a gelling agent. Bar keepers friend style scrubbing agents? A soap, mixed with some grade of fine sand. Ooo food safe chopping board scrub? Salt and lemon juice.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2019, 11:28:39 AM »
I don't think that people have cottoned onto the fact that most food manufacturers have a premium and a discount brand. It's the exact same product. Ice cream, for example. There's usually a store brand, which is made by one of the more expensive brands. You only have to check the ingredient list to find out, because it will be worded in the exact same way with the exact same quantities. Cheese is another good one - the manufacturer will have multiple different branding (and prices) for the same frickin block of cheddar. There are WAAAAY fewer manufacturers than there are brands, figure it out, people!

And people definitely haven't managed to figure out that there's a reason that it's usually not required to put the ingredients on cleaning products. Because it's made of incredibly cheap chemicals. Shower glass/soap scum cleaner? Tartaric acid. Mold-rid products? Watered down chlorine bleach with a gelling agent. Bar keepers friend style scrubbing agents? A soap, mixed with some grade of fine sand. Ooo food safe chopping board scrub? Salt and lemon juice.

That's largely true with a couple caveats.
First, most food/consumable product plants/mills operate on a batch basis. They run a manufacturing floor for a period of time producing one product. They then switch over and run a different batch/product for another period of time. There is a difference in recipes and ingredients(often quality based) used in these different batches. I have first hand experience in this in regards to 2 products, pasta and grains (cereals, granola, etc.)

Second, hard good manufacturers use quality assurance to designate product lines. Products that meet certain specs are sold as the premium brand, and manufacturing "seconds" are sold as a lesser brand/product. For instance, my sibling works for a big DRAM manufacturer, and their tested premium products go to specific customers, while the DRAM that tests lower goes to different customers. It's similar for a variety of products: motors, batteries, etc.

Often - from a value perspective - it's wiser to go with the cheaper brand. Sometimes, particularly in hard goods, the premium brand will be worth it.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2019, 02:46:47 AM »

Not much. Took my old Merc to an independent mechanic. Paid on average about $350/service. Keep in mind, a Toyota here, serviced at a dealership, costs about $250-$300 per service. Toyota at an independent costs about $180 on average. So it wasn't a very big difference.

Merc at dealership? Average $1,000 per service. Not sure what you're getting at a dealership that would make it worth it. Short of a cocaine-fuelled orgy, I can't think of anything that would be worth the gap in price.

Parts, buy on eBay. All the expenses, easily deducted if you can use the 12 week logbook method to turn your ordinary vehicle into a business vehicle.

Buy a 3-4 year old car where another person has taken most of the depreciation and you get it for half price for most cars.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2019, 06:00:27 AM »

Not much. Took my old Merc to an independent mechanic. Paid on average about $350/service. Keep in mind, a Toyota here, serviced at a dealership, costs about $250-$300 per service. Toyota at an independent costs about $180 on average. So it wasn't a very big difference.

Merc at dealership? Average $1,000 per service. Not sure what you're getting at a dealership that would make it worth it. Short of a cocaine-fuelled orgy, I can't think of anything that would be worth the gap in price.

Parts, buy on eBay. All the expenses, easily deducted if you can use the 12 week logbook method to turn your ordinary vehicle into a business vehicle.

Buy a 3-4 year old car where another person has taken most of the depreciation and you get it for half price for most cars.
Straya prices?
I'm lusting for a W201 (the 190 series, esp if it has a Cosworth engine). Getting that mid-life crises of wanting to get away from wife/kids and putter around in the garage.
Now to find a decent W201 in Florida...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:08:55 AM by jinga nation »

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2019, 10:20:51 AM »
Yes, Australia prices. Probably 1.5-2x the American dollar equivalent.