Author Topic: Antimustachian PRODUCTS of Shame and Comedy  (Read 36943 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Antimustachian PRODUCTS of Shame and Comedy
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2018, 02:33:33 AM »
Please include every goddamn scented candle on this list. Burn some beeswax. It smells like flowers. Crazy, innit?

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2018, 03:50:33 AM »
Have you heard of VI Poo? It's a deodorant that you spray in the toilet to make your shit not stink. The ads hilarious, I thought it was a prank at first.

Lots of everyday things too:
air freshener: why not just clean up the mess instead of covering up the smell with chemicals?

Trash bags: just use grocery bags, the trash won't get as stinky if it is taken out more often, and you aren't buying something just to throw it away

Paper plates: my mom uses these, I don't get it

"Collectibles " of any sort if bought new, it's just a marketing gimmick

Super size fast food meals, unless you are sharing with a friend

SUVs in most circumstances

Already cut up fruit and veg

Leaf blowers

Unnecessarily electric appliances like corkscrews and knives , they don't even save any time

I agree with this entire list except leaf blowers.  Ever try raking small wet leaves off a paved driveway, or raking leaves out of a rock bed without disturbing the rock?  Leaf blowers are the correct tool for some applications.  For a home owner with just a lawn with some leaves on it, nope, total waste of money.  A rake and a lawnmower are all that's needed.  For a Landscaper that has to clear large areas of paved driveway, get leaves off rock gardens, clear grass trimmings off of long sidewalks etc it's a valuable tool.

Are some small wet leaves on your driveway really worth the noise and air pollution of a leaf blower?

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2018, 05:13:29 AM »
Raw Water anyone? the price has since gone down to ~17$ for 2.5 gallons
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/1/4/16846048/raw-water-trend-silicon-valley

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2018, 08:27:17 AM »
My mother and relatives tried very hard to get me to start drinking ASEA water.  Salt water for >$1 per ounce. 

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/asea-another-expensive-way-to-buy-water/

They were swearing up and down about the health benefits, and insisted that I was losing my hair/getting the flu/had shoulder pain/whatever because I didn't drink a bottle or more of ASEA water per week.  Mind you, these are people who are retired and/or low income.  They do have what I perceive to be a cultural predilection for panacea products, so I'm used to it.

Can't say that I was ever tempted in the slightest.

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2018, 08:32:45 AM »
Back on topic...

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/

People pay ridiculous amounts for these things that don't really do anything you can't do on a $150 one off amazon. And the cheaper one probably even has a headphone jack.

+1
Agree, I still have an iPhone 5.  I'd probably still have my 4S if I hadn't lost it. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2018, 09:20:26 AM »
Have you heard of VI Poo? It's a deodorant that you spray in the toilet to make your shit not stink. The ads hilarious, I thought it was a prank at first.

air freshener: why not just clean up the mess instead of covering up the smell with chemicals?

Trash bags: just use grocery bags, the trash won't get as stinky if it is taken out more often, and you aren't buying something just to throw it away

Leaf blowers

Unnecessarily electric appliances like corkscrews and knives , they don't even save any time

I agree with this entire list except leaf blowers.  Ever try raking small wet leaves off a paved driveway, or raking leaves out of a rock bed without disturbing the rock?  Leaf blowers are the correct tool for some applications.  For a home owner with just a lawn with some leaves on it, nope, total waste of money.  A rake and a lawnmower are all that's needed.  For a Landscaper that has to clear large areas of paved driveway, get leaves off rock gardens, clear grass trimmings off of long sidewalks etc it's a valuable tool.

Are some small wet leaves on your driveway really worth the noise and air pollution of a leaf blower?

Or wait until the leaves are dry to rake up. I hate leaf blowers. They have marred many a beautiful peaceful morning of me walking to work. I'll be walking and some worker will be uselessly blowing leaves off the sidewalk. It's incredibly noisy, burns gas, and just moves the leaves around (doesn't actually do anything). Leaves blown into the street will end up in the sewers where they are not supposed to be anyways; it's much better for water quality to rake and mulch them. Plus half the time I either have to walk into the street to avoid them or get crap blown in my face.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2018, 11:52:43 AM »
Or wait until the leaves are dry to rake up. I hate leaf blowers. They have marred many a beautiful peaceful morning of me walking to work.
Oh yes...
It is not about a leaf blower (one honorary mention though), but a German songwriter has done a song about mowers. "Some idiot always mowes somewhere" (and on the same tune: Some idiot always drills somewhere)

I have never seen an audience clap in deepest agreement that fast :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiGJXIaZtzU  (talk until 0:38)

Too bad half the lyrics
https://lyricstranslate.com/en/reinhard-mey-irgendein-depp-m%C3%A4ht-irgendwo-immer-lyrics.html
will not work as good if translated - not that I could find a translation, even if the websites promote them, fucking SEO.

btw. If you want to learn German, that guy is a good subject to use.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:55:28 AM by LennStar »

havregryn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »
Someone was selling this on a facebook exchange group for 5$ and people were mocking him implying that he was trying to sell empty packaging.
I was intrigued so I googled. Reality it even funnier

https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/order/accessories/original/discovery-box

50 bucks for this

TexasStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2018, 08:33:40 AM »
Artisanal pencil sharpening.

http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com

For $500, he will sharpen your pencil. And PROVIDE the PENCIL!

This is not that kind of establishment...

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2018, 01:04:27 AM »
Or wait until the leaves are dry to rake up. I hate leaf blowers. They have marred many a beautiful peaceful morning of me walking to work.
Oh yes...
It is not about a leaf blower (one honorary mention though), but a German songwriter has done a song about mowers. "Some idiot always mowes somewhere"
Never heard the song, but after this quote I just knew this had to be Reinhard Mey.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2018, 01:15:02 AM »
Oh yes...
It is not about a leaf blower (one honorary mention though), but a German songwriter has done a song about mowers. "Some idiot always mowes somewhere"
Never heard the song, but after this quote I just knew this had to be Reinhard Mey.

I don't get leaf blowers either. I would understand leaf suckers, like some kind of leaf vacuum cleaner. Leaf blowing seems incredibly pointless.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2018, 01:49:50 AM »
Oh yes...

I don't get leaf blowers either. I would understand leaf suckers, like some kind of leaf vacuum cleaner. Leaf blowing seems incredibly pointless.
It is the typical consumerism idiocy. I mean, you pay quite some money on it even when the wind does it all the time FOR FREE!!

a1pharm

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2018, 07:22:02 AM »
Oh yes...

It is the typical consumerism idiocy. I mean, you pay quite some money on it even when the wind does it all the time FOR FREE!!

If you own a home that has rock mulch, and you let leaves rot in place, you get weeds growing in your rock mulch.  You can rake the leaves out (along with the rocks), or you can blow them out.  I use an electric blower that I plug into the wall.  It was $20.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2018, 07:43:07 PM »
An $80 ceramic mug that pairs with your phone and can keep your beverages at a set temperature for up to 1 hour.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0773WG6NK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526348519&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ember

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2018, 08:59:35 AM »
Oh yes...

Unless you live where there isn't much wind... My suggestion is to live somewhere that doesn't have people stacked on top of other people aka too crowded. Then you won't care as much if someone uses a power tool. My elderly neighbor has a battery powered leaf blower. Can't hear at my house. I can hear a gas powered one somewhere in the neighborhood but its not very loud either (far away). 

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2018, 06:13:19 AM »
Tiffany & Co. Sterling Silver Tin Can... $1,000!!!

I was going to link an image of the tin, can, but seriously... Just imagine a damn tin can... haha

https://www.tiffany.com/accessories/desk/everyday-objects-sterling-silver-tin-can-60559139

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2018, 07:37:36 AM »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2018, 08:12:51 AM »
I've been hearing an advertisement on the radio for a service that will deliver bottled water, seems like they've got multiple brands/types. Every time I hear it, 2 things go through my mind:

1. Why don't you just go to the grocery store?
2. What's wrong with tap water? (yes, I know that there are places where tap water isn't safe for whatever reason. I'm not in one of them.)

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2018, 08:55:00 AM »
Without a doubt, no product causes me more dismay than Yeti coolers. The concept of a "luxury" cooler is just mind-boggling.

Also up there would be ~$10,000 bicycles. Diminishing returns much? A pro would still wax your ass riding a thrift store huffy beach cruiser. (In fact that would be pretty damn fun to watch.)

Edit to add (regarding Yeti):

... and to the "oh, but they're BEAR PROOF" crowd. What about this one? Is this $200 cooler bear proof?

https://www.amazon.com/YETI-Hopper-Portable-Cooler-Tahoe/dp/B00SU9AHEC/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1523380123&sr=1-4&keywords=yeti+cooler

Amen. The YETI cups and thermoses are ridiculous. So is a freakin' coozie for that matter. I don't drink beer or soda anymore. But back when I did I never spent so long drinking a freakin' 12-ounce beverage that I had worry about it getting cold. Good grief.

I ended up with a yeti tumbler in a gift exchange.

I wouldn't buy one for myself, but I one time put coffee in it first thing in the morning in December, drove all the way to the downtown of the city nearby in very cold weather (45 minutes) walked to the library, began taking my exam, and halfway through my exam began drinking my coffee and burnt myself, maybe 3 hours after putting coffee in it

Not that my much more useful thermos won't do the same, but for a tumbler I was really impressed

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2018, 09:44:50 AM »

I was going to link an image of the tin, can, but seriously... Just imagine a damn tin can... haha

https://www.tiffany.com/accessories/desk/everyday-objects-sterling-silver-tin-can-60559139
A tin can made out of silver?
Means a silver can where you can put tin in? Why you should need that?

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »
I finally know someone who has a Yeti: my brother. He broke down and got one (as cheaply as he possibly could, REI dividend and maybe coupon?) because he's an ultra runner and will take off to camp repeatedly for a week at a time all summer and just run at elevation all day for several days. It's the first thing he's found that will actually keep ice frozen long enough for his trips. Even though he loves it and really uses it, he still mocks himself for having it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2018, 12:40:09 PM »
I finally know someone who has a Yeti: my brother. He broke down and got one (as cheaply as he possibly could, REI dividend and maybe coupon?) because he's an ultra runner and will take off to camp repeatedly for a week at a time all summer and just run at elevation all day for several days. It's the first thing he's found that will actually keep ice frozen long enough for his trips. Even though he loves it and really uses it, he still mocks himself for having it.

Then I probably wouldn't facepunch him, for two reasons. First, he's one of the very few humans who actually needs the service it provides. Second, if he takes exception to the facepunch and decides to retaliate physically, I don't think I could outrun him.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2018, 06:12:08 AM »

Then I probably wouldn't facepunch him, for two reasons. First, he's one of the very few humans who actually needs the service it provides. Second, if he takes exception to the facepunch and decides to retaliate physically, I don't think I could outrun him.
I take that as a proof of a very sound and logical reasoning :D

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2018, 09:26:28 PM »

[/quote]

I ended up with a yeti tumbler in a gift exchange.

I wouldn't buy one for myself, but I one time put coffee in it first thing in the morning in December, drove all the way to the downtown of the city nearby in very cold weather (45 minutes) walked to the library, began taking my exam, and halfway through my exam began drinking my coffee and burnt myself, maybe 3 hours after putting coffee in it

Not that my much more useful thermos won't do the same, but for a tumbler I was really impressed
[/quote]

This! Yes! Jesus. I was given a promotional knock-off Yeti at work. I cannot use it for hot beverages if I want to drink them in the next hour. Which seems against the point of a *travel* mug to me. Yeah, it keeps ice cold for a long time, but I'm drinking water quickly, so I could put more ice in it when I'm putting more water in it!! Ended up giving it away.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2018, 11:53:22 PM »

Leaf blowers

I buy ready cut pumpkin. I'm not strong enough to cut through the bloody things. I guess I could just buy an axe. I don't know what variety they are, I want to say crown pumpkins. They're grey, the most common kind in NZ. We don't have those big orange jack o lantern things. We also don't have canned pumpkin in the supermarket. And we tend to eat wedges roasted in the oven as a savoury vegetable, not pie filling.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2018, 12:10:04 AM »

I buy ready cut pumpkin. I'm not strong enough to cut through the bloody things. I guess I could just buy an axe. I don't know what variety they are, I want to say crown pumpkins. They're grey, the most common kind in NZ. We don't have those big orange jack o lantern things. We also don't have canned pumpkin in the supermarket. And we tend to eat wedges roasted in the oven as a savoury vegetable, not pie filling.

I think thats a valid reason, I know a lot of people who are unable to cut up fruit and veggies for various reasons who buy pre cut stuff.

I suppose I do as I buy a lot of frozen stuff, as a  person who travels a lot for work and lives alone this stops food waste

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2018, 07:15:15 AM »

I think thats a valid reason, I know a lot of people who are unable to cut up fruit and veggies for various reasons who buy pre cut stuff.

I suppose I do as I buy a lot of frozen stuff, as a  person who travels a lot for work and lives alone this stops food waste

Yeah, I regularly buy bags of frozen broccoli florets and mixed vegetables because they’re inexpensive, already prepped, and easy to add to a weeknight meal or pot of soup.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2018, 11:59:14 AM »
I was confused, as I don't think frozen vegetables are antimustachian, as it's the same price or cheaper than buying it fresh here (UK) and you use the exact amount you want with no wastage. I always keep green beans, peas, and sweetcorn in my freezer.

But I guess if you're thinking about paying extra for ready chopped veg like onions that's a bit different.
(Accepting that some people are unable through disability to chop/prep, where their main metric is whether they can do things, not whether that's the cheapest/most efficient way of doing it)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »
I also buy precut, prewashed, bagged salads. It's a lot more expensive than buying the ingredients! But I don't love salad. Really don't. I only eat it to get my leafy greens in, and if I rely on myself actually making salad as well as eating it, it just doesn't happen. I have limited willpower for this particular issue, so I figure that buying and eating the damn stuff is actually cheaper than buying the ingredients and not eating them. Which I have spent years doing in an attempt to eat salads regularly. At least now I eat a couple of cups of spinach or kale and all the various other bits per day. I take it for lunch at work so that I HAVE to eat it, cos otherwise I'd end up buying lunch.....

Sigh.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2018, 07:46:21 PM »

You're laughing at it, but you probably missed that it has a Tiffany Blue® enamel accent*.

* that's a thin line of light blue paint. Just look at it, positioned on the left side, but it's reversable,
 you can move it so it's on the right side.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2018, 08:14:46 PM »
Oh yes...

If you own a home that has rock mulch, and you let leaves rot in place, you get weeds growing in your rock mulch.  You can rake the leaves out (along with the rocks), or you can blow them out.  I use an electric blower that I plug into the wall.  It was $20.

Perhaps just... I don't know... a stupid suggestion comes to mind.... bend over and pick them up? You know... with hands?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2018, 12:19:22 PM »
I also buy precut, prewashed, bagged salads. It's a lot more expensive than buying the ingredients! But I don't love salad. Really don't. I only eat it to get my leafy greens in, and if I rely on myself actually making salad as well as eating it, it just doesn't happen. I have limited willpower for this particular issue, so I figure that buying and eating the damn stuff is actually cheaper than buying the ingredients and not eating them. Which I have spent years doing in an attempt to eat salads regularly. At least now I eat a couple of cups of spinach or kale and all the various other bits per day. I take it for lunch at work so that I HAVE to eat it, cos otherwise I'd end up buying lunch.....

Sigh.

Exactly what I would have said. Wish I craved greens like I do other things.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2018, 01:34:48 PM »

Sigh.

Me too. I found them disgusting when I was a kid, and I'm not into them as a grownup. I only eat them because grownup.....

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2018, 09:11:59 AM »
Oh yes...

Perhaps just... I don't know... a stupid suggestion comes to mind.... bend over and pick them up? You know... with hands?

Marty, please come to my house in about a month. I will be more than happy for you to pick all the leaves out of my rocks. You can come back in the spring as well, to pick up the ones that accumulated over winter.

Granted, currently I don't have a blower, or a good way to get deal with the leaves.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »
Oh yes...

Marty, please come to my house in about a month. I will be more than happy for you to pick all the leaves out of my rocks. You can come back in the spring as well, to pick up the ones that accumulated over winter.

Granted, currently I don't have a blower, or a good way to get deal with the leaves.

Marty you are welcome to my house next to get out the leaves and pine needles! I too have a $20 electric leaf blower. It's great for quickly and easily getting leaves and pine needles out of all the rock mulch around our house. The grassy areas of the yard we rake and mulch, but that cheap leaf blower made dealing with the rock areas SO much easier.

Gila

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
I saw this is the store the other day and just had to post it. I've tried to attach the picture since the store was polite enough to include an English translation but basically it's this Finnish mineral water that seems to be super expensive. You can check out their website here. It costs 4,99€ for 500 ml bottle or about $5,75 for 16,9 oz. It's true that the water around here is very pure which is why you can drink it straight from the tap or if you are without a bottle my closest store sells a fancy Estonian mineral water for 0,79€ per similar sized bottle. If you want something carbonated and really want to live it up the average beverage would be around 1,8-2€ for 500 ml bottle and you can take your pick of different styles of waters or any Coke or Pepsi product. There's a lot of unmustachian stuff I can kind of understand but I'm really struggling to see how buying this would be a good idea for anybody.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2018, 02:20:11 PM »

Sigh.

Me too. I found them disgusting when I was a kid, and I'm not into them as a grownup. I only eat them because grownup.....

Same. I eat them solely for nutrients. I can really only stand spinach, lettuce, and cabbage in salads and find other raw greens repulsive (including everyone's beloved arugula and kale). Bagged lettuce and spinach all the way. My salads tend to be a small pile of tolerable greens and larger piles of other veg and toppings like cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers beets, nuts, dried fruit, olives, and/or cheese.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »

Sigh.

Same. I eat them solely for nutrients. I can really only stand spinach, lettuce, and cabbage in salads and find other raw greens repulsive (including everyone's beloved arugula and kale). Bagged lettuce and spinach all the way. My salads tend to be a small pile of tolerable greens and larger piles of other veg and toppings like cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers beets, nuts, dried fruit, olives, and/or cheese.

I stick to spinach. That way I can freeze the remains of the unfinished bag and add it to casseroles etc etc. I start off the week with a full bag but by thursday whatever is uneaten is not going to be eaten as leaves!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2018, 04:39:43 PM »

I totally forgot I'd posted in here...thank you for the laugh @TheGrimSqueaker of anyone trying to outrun him! My favorite part is that, even though he genuinely uses it, he STILL is reasonable enough to mock himself for the purchase, despite he and his wife being very comfortable DINKs. And he is truly nuts. He did 3 100's this year (miles, not kilometers) and even had a podium finish. It's both impressive and disturbing.

I discovered that my neighbors have Yeti tumblers as well when they brought them to the park the other night to disguise their beers (which is funny because it's actually legal to have beer there since it's a county park). They did receive them as gifts from one of their affluent parents though at least.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »

I totally forgot I'd posted in here...thank you for the laugh @TheGrimSqueaker of anyone trying to outrun him! My favorite part is that, even though he genuinely uses it, he STILL is reasonable enough to mock himself for the purchase, despite he and his wife being very comfortable DINKs. And he is truly nuts. He did 3 100's this year (miles, not kilometers) and even had a podium finish. It's both impressive and disturbing.

I discovered that my neighbors have Yeti tumblers as well when they brought them to the park the other night to disguise their beers (which is funny because it's actually legal to have beer there since it's a county park). They did receive them as gifts from one of their affluent parents though at least.

I received a Yeti cooler as a gift, and was a little embarrassed about owning one for a while...but, I really love having it, and I frequently take week long trips either remote camping, or to bike races where I like to have all of my food/water for the week. It isn't a necessity and I certainly did fine before I had it, but it has made life/planning a lot simpler when I race in more remote areas where getting food might mean leaving my campsite and driving an hour or more.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2018, 02:06:11 AM »
Because every tortoise deserves a special home......

https://www.vividarium.co.uk/

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2018, 09:44:08 PM »
Gläce Luxury Ice!

http://www.glaceice.net/purchase.html

All for the low low price of $325!!! You get 25 round and 25 cube shaped pieces!

Hell of a way to add $6.50 to every drink someone has.

I have these, but I only paid $14 and I can make as many as I want. They do melt much slower than regular sized ice, but why on Earth would you pay $325 for ice spheres when you can get the ice molds for $14? (There is an even cheaper one on Amazon now, but it wasn't around when I bought mine.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4PYUEC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_JyPZBbM833HJD?th=1

While looking up the mold on Amazon I found this...

You can get multiple ice sphere molds for $14. So what does 1 cost?

$400!
https://www.ahalife.com/the-whiskey-ice-co

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2018, 09:24:42 AM »

Marty you are welcome to my house next to get out the leaves and pine needles! I too have a $20 electric leaf blower. It's great for quickly and easily getting leaves and pine needles out of all the rock mulch around our house. The grassy areas of the yard we rake and mulch, but that cheap leaf blower made dealing with the rock areas SO much easier.
I also have rock mulch, it came with the house. Some previous owner thought rock mulch was appropriate around trees. Now I get to clean up a mess of rocks and needles on a regular basis.

The problem is the rock mulch. The band aid is the blower. Millions of people, other then me, have conifers and mulch that doesn't require cleaning. The mustachian way is to have natural mulch and use the needles as a weed supressant.

Rock Mulch is Antimustachian. The comedy is watching me clean out rocks every year. Seriously, a middle age man out there every year cleaning rocks, it's not exactly how I thought adult life would be.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2018, 05:31:31 PM »
The problem is the rock mulch. The band aid is the blower. Millions of people, other then me, have conifers and mulch that doesn't require cleaning. The mustachian way is to have natural mulch and use the needles as a weed supressant.

Rock Mulch is Antimustachian. The comedy is watching me clean out rocks every year. Seriously, a middle age man out there every year cleaning rocks, it's not exactly how I thought adult life would be.
Everything has a place. The place for rock mulch is not under conifers (I'm not sure about under broad leafed trees). Rock mulch around a house in the dessert sounds pretty mustachian to me.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2018, 01:11:11 AM »
Oh yes...

I think I've misunderstood what rock mulch is :)

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2018, 02:45:22 PM »

Everything has a place. The place for rock mulch is not under conifers (I'm not sure about under broad leafed trees). Rock mulch around a house in the dessert sounds pretty mustachian to me.
Its equally terrible under deciduous trees, that's why people need leaf blowers. Its a case of a simple decision leading to further bad choices. At first you think rocks will lok pretty beside the newly planted trees. Then you see the leaves so you get a blower, but the tree is growing so the work increases every year! After 30 years you realize what a horrendous mistake it was, you now have rocks with dirt blown in and weeds poking out. Of course when you were young you thought it would be fanstic to have a yard that could be featured on a magazine, so you have flower beds, trees, fountains and more, its not just a singular bed of rocks! The yard work increases the longer you own the place, which means you need to retire just to keep up with it, of course you wanted a full time gardening job. Eventually you get old and your back hurts from the mess of a yard so whats the solution?

You move and sell the house to a naive sap like me. I have a serious hate for rock mulch, its such a simple innocent product and yet so nefarious.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2018, 12:23:10 PM »

My understanding is that you don't want rocks on root systems in general, it's not good for the plants. Trees, bushes, or otherwise.

I'm done digging rock for the year. Will resume next year. I got rid of all my piles, so the backyard is clear for shoveling purposes.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2018, 07:10:05 AM »

I also have rock mulch, it came with the house. Some previous owner thought rock mulch was appropriate around trees. Now I get to clean up a mess of rocks and needles on a regular basis.

You're not kidding. I too inherited the rock mulch with the house. Ditched the pine trees this year (thanks electric company!). I hope to ditch the rock mulch in a couple of years... but then the pine trees are gone and I'm kind of lazy and cheap about yard work, so... It'll probably stay.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »

You're not kidding. I too inherited the rock mulch with the house. Ditched the pine trees this year (thanks electric company!). I hope to ditch the rock mulch in a couple of years... but then the pine trees are gone and I'm kind of lazy and cheap about yard work, so... It'll probably stay.

I'm working on ditching the rock mulch, though for water reasons will be stuck with some. Unfortunately, I have a literal dump truck of it sitting on top of important utilities, so I can't jet get a bobcat. No, it's buckets and shovels (plus separating out the woodchips, plastic, and dirt).

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2018, 01:34:39 PM »
Sorry to interrupt the mulch discussion... but Instagram keeps trying to sell me some kind of skin product with the tagline "The average woman spends $250 a month on skin care."
What?
WHAT?
WUT...?

I don't even properly recall what they're trying to sell me, but barring those who need to see an actual dermatologist for skin issues (which I know is an experience that some folks have), who is spending that much? 
They're saying "Average."