Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain's net worth  (Read 8409 times)

db_cooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anthony Bourdain's net worth
« on: July 06, 2018, 08:42:20 AM »

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
Re: Anthony Bourdain's net worth
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
I don't know how much you have followed his life and career, but he absolutely was not the live frugal, grow some vegetables, and invest in index funds kinda guy.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 09:33:59 AM »
Considered in isolation, $1.21 million net worth doesn't sound like an anti-Mustachian number to me. I know pretty much nothing about Bourdain's personal life. Are there some ridiculous environment-destroying spending activities of his that are the real anti-Mustachian story?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 10:03:13 AM »
What are we supposed to be surprised at?

He had a positive net worth. That seems like a reasonable thing.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »
Nothing like berating a suicide victim for not having as high a net worth as you think he should have!

Shame on you. Posts like this reflect the worst of these forums.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 10:12:15 AM »
Nothing like berating a suicide victim for not having as high a net worth as you think he should have!

Agreed.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 10:14:13 AM »

I think @db_cooper's intro was neutral. It's the Fox piece that felt somewhat condescending.

I'm also not sure if "suicide victim" isn't the ultimate oxymoron.

I personally think your "Shame on you." is misdirected, @madgeylou.

Finally, the more suicide and its horrible, unending consequences are discussed, the better. Even if we disagree with the way it's presented. Looking at you, Fox "News".

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 10:28:57 AM »

Suicide victim is typically intentional terminology that suicide is the result of a mental illness, and therefore death from the illness.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/arthur-gallant/talking-about-suicide_b_7849576.html

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 10:33:18 AM »
Suicide victim is typically intentional terminology that suicide is the result of a mental illness, and therefore death from the illness.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/arthur-gallant/talking-about-suicide_b_7849576.html
Huh, where is it definitively proven that all suicides are caused by mental illness?
My point is that the loved ones left behind are the ultimate and unwitting victims.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 10:39:20 AM »
In this article, he comes across as someone who got a late financial wakeup call and didn't take any of it for granted. I admired him tremendously and am so sad for his family and friends.

Anthony Bourdain Does Not Want to Owe Anybody Even a Single Dollar

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 10:55:51 AM »
The documents do not list the East 94th Street condo Bourdain bought with his then-wife in 2014, but the filings do indicate a $1 million mortgage liability for an unspecified property.

Maybe I misunderstand the story, but why wouldn't this mortgage count against his net worth?  So $1.2m - $1m = $200K net worth... ?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 11:01:08 AM »

Huh, where is it definitively proven that all suicides are caused by mental illness?
My point is that the loved ones left behind are the ultimate and unwitting victims.

It isn't proven, as it certainly isn't true. Not -all- suicides are a result of mental illness.

And yes, the ones left behind are absolutely victims as well, living with the suicide of a family member is extremely difficult, I've seen it with my friends,;but the old portrayal of all suicide as a "selfish" act is very out of touch.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 11:17:59 AM »
The documents do not list the East 94th Street condo Bourdain bought with his then-wife in 2014, but the filings do indicate a $1 million mortgage liability for an unspecified property.

Maybe I misunderstand the story, but why wouldn't this mortgage count against his net worth?  So $1.2m - $1m = $200K net worth... ?

A quick google reveals that he paid $3.35m for it four and a half years ago, so if there's a $1m mortgage that means he probably has $2.5m+ in equity. Shoddy reporting.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 11:24:33 AM »

Maybe. But generally people commit suicide don’t do it because they are selfish dicks. They do it because they feel like such trash that they honestly believe their loved ones will be better off without them, or simply because the darkness inside their heads is no longer bearable.

Am I saying suicide is awesome and we should all do it? Clearly not. I’m saying have some fucking empathy for someone so troubled that the only way out they could see was ending their lives.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 11:26:10 AM »

I think @db_cooper's intro was neutral. It's the Fox piece that felt somewhat condescending.

The fact that it was posted at all is shameful.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 11:39:40 AM »

A quick google reveals that he paid $3.35m for it four and a half years ago, so if there's a $1m mortgage that means he probably has $2.5m+ in equity. Shoddy reporting.

Yeah, well, Fox.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 12:02:00 PM »
In this article, he comes across as someone who got a late financial wakeup call and didn't take any of it for granted. I admired him tremendously and am so sad for his family and friends.

Thanks for sharing this. 

beattie228

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 01:02:33 PM »

Great article. Thanks for posting.

Also, I'm originally from the Metro Detroit area as well. It's not often I run into MMM readers in that part of the world when I'm back home.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »
TMZ is reporting that he has more assets in trusts. I mean I’m getting close to the point where that would make sense and I am a no one so that’s not surprising that he has more assets sheltered in things like trusts.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 05:08:08 AM »
also the type of work he did would indicate that he'd also leave a revenue stream of royalties.

and I'm guessing that the $1m mortgage was on a property thats worth a hell of a lot more.

lazy article if they are reporting on net worth without any other context.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 08:49:43 AM »
TMZ is reporting that he has more assets in trusts. I mean I’m getting close to the point where that would make sense and I am a no one so that’s not surprising that he has more assets sheltered in things like trusts.

Yes, I was going to say, $1.2 million is the net worth of assets going through probate.  If he has any trusts set up, those are private and not part of the estate.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 09:42:29 AM »
Second, it is really none if our business anyway.  Agree it is shameful to try to shame a dead person and pick through his assets like some kind of homeless person looking for bottles (I respect that person, but not those 'curious' about AB's assets.  He doesnt post here and didnt ask for a critique.

I agree.  This tragedy is very raw to those of us who were Anthony Bourdain fans.  He ate at a friend's restaurant here in Italy only about a year ago with his Italian girlfriend, Asia Argento, and my friend told me that both he and Argento were wonderful, friendly and humble people.  He was truly interested in learning about the food that my friend cooks in his restaurant and not just on camera.

And we must not forget that he was the father of a young child.  RIP Anthony Bourdain.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 10:33:34 AM »
He was also in the line of work where he could never have to retire. It's not like he was a software engineer where if he retired for five years, got broke, and needed to come back that he couldn't find some work. He was 60 and at the peak of his career.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 11:08:18 AM »
Hopefully he had significant assets that didn't go through probate. There are dozens of ways to get around it.  Insurance policies, most retirement accounts such as 401(k) pay directly to a beneficiary, and joint ownership of many things such as real estate can be a way to bypass probate. Depending on what countries he had assets in, trusts may have been an option. Anything he transferred into his kid's name wouldn't have been part of the estate. He didn't have a profession that lent itself to a pension, but where pensions still exist there is sometimes an option to select a 50% lifetime payout to a specific relative who doesn't necessarily have to be a spouse. I know people who, having divorced or having never married, put their pension in the name of a child or grandchild. Even just a $2k per month payout, over a person's lifetime, is instant FIRE for most of us. For a youngish person who is just starting out, it pushes him or her to the level where they *can* take a chance on a career in the arts, or as an entrepreneur. I doubt even 10% of my assets will end up in probate.

It may be worthwhile to have a discussion about the extent to which financial trouble can affect a person's will to live. I'm not saying that it was the case for Anthony Bourdain, because I don't see sufficient evidence to support that conclusion.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 06:03:12 PM »

I'm absolutely sure this is an informed opinion and not just a gut reaction against FoxNews.
And that you were including, ABC, CBS, Los Angeles Times, People.com, Huffington Post, Page6, New York Daily News,
USA Today, TMZ, Forbes, Business insider, Fortune.com, Google and others in your reporting.
 Just to see if there was anyone else reporting that, I changed my search to -Anthony Bourdain $1.21M-, that returns 148,000 hits.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 06:14:23 PM »

I'm absolutely sure this is an informed opinion and not just a gut reaction against FoxNews.
And that you were including, ABC, CBS, Los Angeles Times, People.com, Huffington Post, Page6, New York Daily News,
USA Today, TMZ, Forbes, Business insider, Fortune.com, Google and others in your reporting.
 Just to see if there was anyone else reporting that, I changed my search to -Anthony Bourdain $1.21M-, that returns 148,000 hits.

Regardless of any of that, Fox News is still bullshit and not to be trusted. If we're using number of Google hits as evidence now, try googling "fox news terrible" and see how many hits you get.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 06:16:49 PM by madgeylou »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 06:26:41 PM »
I never heard of this guy until he died (I have not watched TV since 1996).  But it looks like he only had 16-17 years since he emerged from restaurant work to become a TV star.  So that isn't a huge amount of time making, I would assume, north of $500k.  Still, he should have had much more put away than he did. 

Not sure I get all of your statement,  "only had 16-17 years"...   "north of $500k"
5 years of $500k is more than my wife and I earned in 35 years.
 He made a lot of money!
 But I can't find anything about his yearly income, pay per episode, etc.
 Their is some discussion that he may have had trusts or offshore accounts,
so he may be have more money.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 06:33:53 PM by BTDretire »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 11:18:14 PM »

I have no clue what you're going on about. I know how much it costs to buy apartments in that neighborhood and it's obvious that he would not be living in a $1m apartment there, so I googled to see if I could figure out how much equity there was. And if I can find that info in 10 seconds that means the author of the article didn't bother, which means it's shoddy reporting.

Why on earth are you going apeshit over my post? Do you work for Fox's PR team or something?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 07:56:29 AM »

I have no clue what you're going on about. I know how much it costs to buy apartments in that neighborhood and it's obvious that he would not be living in a $1m apartment there, so I googled to see if I could figure out how much equity there was. And if I can find that info in 10 seconds that means the author of the article didn't bother, which means it's shoddy reporting.

Why on earth are you going apeshit over my post? Do you work for Fox's PR team or something?

I don't believe I went ape shit when by showing you that there were 100s of other news outlets that reported the same numbers, yet you singled out Foxnews as having done "shoddy reporting"

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 08:54:29 AM »

Yeah, none of this is surprising.  The guy was sheltering assets in trusts and planning in advance.  He was a very high income individual.  The value of his estate reflects that estate planning was actively worked on for years as it reasonably should have been.  I would imagine there is at least a few million that is not in the decedent’s estate.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »

I don't believe I went ape shit when by showing you that there were 100s of other news outlets that reported the same numbers, yet you singled out Foxnews as having done "shoddy reporting"

I didn't single anyone out and I never mentioned Fox. I simply responded to someone else's post. You are delusional.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2018, 01:01:00 PM »

I didn't single anyone out and I never mentioned Fox. I simply responded to someone else's post. You are delusional.
  You're right, you did not mention Fox.
I inferred that from the original post that had a link reporting the $1.2M Net Worth.
I don't know who or what you were referring to as doing the "Shoddy Reporting" if not the link to Fox.
Must have been one of the posters, if it wasn't Fox.
Best left unsaid at this point.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2018, 01:07:40 PM »
It's clear at this point that you don't understand how internet media works, so I'm just going to stop responding. Have a nice day watching Fox News.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »

I inferred that from the original post that had a link reporting the $1.2M Net Worth.
I don't know who or what you were referring to as doing the "Shoddy Reporting" if not the link to Fox.

Clearly Dollar Slice was referring to the Fox news article... because that was the article up for discussion.

In the future, would you like us to make sure we check all the other news outlets to see if they also have shoddy reporting and then criticize all of them equally so as to not offend anyone?

It is shoddy reporting, and even if it was accurate, why? Why is this news. Any other news outlets who reported similar numbers were also wrong.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2018, 09:45:37 PM »

Clearly Dollar Slice was referring to the Fox news article... because that was the article up for discussion.

In the future, would you like us to make sure we check all the other news outlets to see if they also have shoddy reporting and then criticize all of them equally so as to not offend anyone?

It is shoddy reporting, and even if it was accurate, why? Why is this news. Any other news outlets who reported similar numbers were also wrong.

I think you and several others missed the point. The “Fox News” article explicitly states it’s a New York Post article being syndicated.  It has more to do with the fact tons of bad reporting is just syndicated news from other entities. 

The key info for syndication

“By Julia Marsh | New York Post”
“This story originally appeared in The New York Post.”

In fairness you and others though, the New York Post is a glorified tabloid.  Actual media outlets should keep that in mind when syndicating their news.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 07:32:20 AM »

I think you and several others missed the point. The “Fox News” article explicitly states it’s a New York Post article being syndicated.  It has more to do with the fact tons of bad reporting is just syndicated news from other entities. 

The key info for syndication

“By Julia Marsh | New York Post”
“This story originally appeared in The New York Post.”

In fairness you and others though, the New York Post is a glorified tabloid.  Actual media outlets should keep that in mind when syndicating their news.

Was that the point? I think the point was Dollar Slice found a huge oversight in the original article then BTDretire sarcastically suggested that they were hating on Fox News by pointing it out. Seems to me that criticism came out of left field. Especially so if it wasn't even an article from Fox.

Now if someone had said, "omg Fox news is the worst, look at their terrible reporting" then BTDretire's criticism would have been fair. That's not what was said.

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2018, 09:34:52 AM »
I don't know much about Anthony Bourdain, but I enjoyed this article he wrote: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1999/04/19/dont-eat-before-reading-this

To be fair to fox news, the original headline in the Post was: "Anthony Bourdain worth only $1.21M at the time of his death" and they took out the word "only".  It does not say in the article where the rest of his money went, so not sure what we are supposed to shame...

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2018, 02:52:24 PM »

I know that, you know that, but Dollar didn't want anyone else to know. So, I tried to give him an out.
 I'm sure I over reacted a bit, mostly because I'm conservative (although less so on social issues) and I see so many negative comments here about conservatives and about Trump. It often doesn't matter if it is a good thing, if Trump does it it automaticaly bad.
 I would suggest that 90% here are liberals and it shows. It could be a little less, but the conservatives rarely want to pop there hads up.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 03:03:53 PM »
I'm sure I over reacted a bit, mostly because I'm conservative (although less so on social issues) and I see so many negative comments here about conservatives and about Trump. It often doesn't matter if it is a good thing, if Trump does it it automaticaly bad.

No, it's more that he is a bad person and almost everything he says and does is objectively terrible. Anyone who still supports him at this point is a fool who SHOULD hang their head in shame. And Fox News viewers are objectively less knowledgeable about what's happening in reality than other people.

But this is off topic so I will just say RIP Anthony Bourdain and hopefully this stupid thread.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:05:34 PM by madgeylou »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 03:07:46 PM »

I know that, you know that, but Dollar didn't want anyone else to know. So, I tried to give him an out.
 I would suggest that 90% here are liberals and it shows. It could be a little less, but the conservatives rarely want to pop there hads up.

Still no. No one was hiding anything.

You accused someone of singling out Fox news. In reality they were pointing out factual information that didn't jive with the article up for discussion. Nothing more to it.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 03:23:44 PM »

This thread, this article, this discussion - has absolutely nothing to do with politics. Nothing whatsoever. You are so delusional and invested in this "us vs. them" "me vs. the world" victim mentality that you injected the chip on your shoulder into a completely irrelevant conversation.

I work in the media and I know exactly how these syndicated news articles work. I know four hundred different media outlets didn't duplicate the exact same research and come up with the exact same number. One person did it, somewhere, and they were lazy and did it wrong, and then all the other outlets copied it. I said "shoddy reporting" referring to whoever did that research. I was not referring to Fox, I didn't even notice that the original article was on Fox. I have no idea who did the original research. It doesn't really matter.

It's important to be critical and fact-check if you see numbers in a news article that obviously don't make sense. I don't care what network or news site it's on. You will be lied to or scammed over and over if you take something as gospel just because you think you can trust the source. That's how Bernie Madoff conned all his "friends" out of billions - they trusted him and bought into a scheme that was obviously too good to be true, because they let their trust in the source overwhelm their common sense. That's how every scam works. Don't set yourself up for that.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 07:24:53 PM »

If I was a conservative, I'd be pretty silent right now too.  It's simply too embarrassing to defend.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:30:11 PM by Eric »

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 09:18:32 PM »
This thread has morphed from a thread about Anthony into a "your'e F@cking wrong and I'm right" thread. Disgraceful. Take your heads out of your asses.

It is very unlikely Anthony made 500K a year doing what hid did. CNN is not network, and the pay scales are a bit lower. Any money he made in the restaurant business before his TV career he spent. There will be royalties from his books that will accrue to his estate (he wrote fiction and non-fiction, tho his fiction was not that popular) as well as residuals. I highly doubt that 1.2 million number.

Anthony, we will miss your bright acerbic wit and your unique takes on food, travel, and dining. Godspeed.