Author Topic: Ads for Terrible Products  (Read 4084 times)

RidetheRain

• Bristles
Ads for Terrible Products
« on: October 10, 2017, 09:50:25 AM »
An ad for this company popped up on my Facebook today and I just had to click it. In short, they are selling a pair of $80 shorts that connect to an app to tell you what jeans will fit you. Instead of doing the low-tech version of trying some on at the store of your choice.

Even worse, the ad specifically says not to wash them because they should only be on for a few seconds, the battery lasts for five years, they are re-usable by yourself or other people, and YOU CAN BUY A THREE PACK!

Are they serious? I'm honest to goodness looking for the bit where they say this is a joke.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
Re: Ads for Terrible Products
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:03:52 AM »
I am both horrified and amazed. Talk about some clever marketing.

Here are some of the comments:

"Love how easy it is to measure yourself. It is nice that with each recommendation there is a link to buy the jeans!"
Amy E.

"Love it! Have already used it to buy multiple pairs of jeans!"
L. S

"Today was my first test drive of my new Likeaglove smart leggings. They make me feel like some type of Iron Man super hero when I wear them. Looking forward to next week’s “Measure-in”.
Susanne L.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:06:55 AM »
ha, I would totally buy that (if it hooked me up with anything besides jeans). That's a cheap personal shopper -my dream!

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 01:42:59 PM »
My first reaction looking at the website and watching the video was "how stupid."  Then I started to think about it - my DH has a very odd shape.  He is an elite athlete and his waist is around 30" while his thighs are big enough that he needs 36" jeans to feel comfortable.  Neither of us really wear jeans, so we each only have 1 pair.  The last time we had to go jeans shopping for him we spent an entire weekend trying on every single style of jeans in every store we went into.  Finally, on what seemed like store 1000, we found a pair that were wide enough in the thigh to be comfortable, but not so big in the waist that they bunched up on him with a belt.  In his case, if these "smart" leggings were around half the price, or if he wore jeans more, they would be worth it. 

*I know they are now making a brand of jeans (barbell maybe?) that are for athletes and are supposed to fit bodies like his, but if I remember correctly they were around $200 per pair so they aren't going to be an option.  To be honest, I think jeans are the most uncomfortable option for clothing yourself.  I would much prefer leggings, yoga pants, slacks, dresses, skirts, etc. over jeans every day of the week. 

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 01:55:15 PM »
I mean, it's expensive, but so is getting jeans that don't fit and ending up hating them. I'm sure I'm not alone in having a lot of difficulty finding jeans that fit properly, to the point that I hate going shopping for new pairs and wear the ones I have until they are basically shredded. One failure seems to be that they don't measure thigh and calf size, which are definitely key points as well. Do I think it's worth 80 bucks? Definitely not. But as a concept, kinda cool.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »
I mean, it's expensive, but so is getting jeans that don't fit and ending up hating them. I'm sure I'm not alone in having a lot of difficulty finding jeans that fit properly, to the point that I hate going shopping for new pairs and wear the ones I have until they are basically shredded. One failure seems to be that they don't measure thigh and calf size, which are definitely key points as well. Do I think it's worth 80 bucks? Definitely not. But as a concept, kinda cool.

It's definitely cool. An awesome use of the technologies available to us today in the new digital age. But, it's a product for fancy people, exclusive shops with "experiences" in mind, and mothers with a hundred kids. Not for most people, not for the 20-somethings in the ad, and certainly not a three-pack!

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
Even if I knew the perfect fit it really depends on what Goodwill has to offer...Oh wait, I may not be in their target market.

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 02:34:47 AM »
Imagine putting these on and then having someone ring the doorbell....

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 08:53:46 AM »

It would take a lot of $2-5 thrift store jeans I hate to cover the cost of $80 shorts plus I am sure the jeans they would recommend would cost closer to a $100++ (and it is beyond my ability to fathom spending so much on one article of clothing).

Count me out.

I rarely shop in regular stores anymore. Although too many awesome thrift store deals have led to a bulging closet. Have been working on restraint in the last year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 03:13:04 PM »
What would make sense:  A store could buy this product and let you use them for 5-10 minutes to find your "perfect jeans" quickly and easily.  People would think this was a cool marketing tool, and the store would quickly make back the $80 pricetag.  But for an individual to own this?  Nah, can't see it.  I buy jeans used and keep them for years, so I probably won't spend much more than $80 on jeans for the rest of my life.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »
What would make sense:  A store could buy this product and let you use them for 5-10 minutes to find your "perfect jeans" quickly and easily.  People would think this was a cool marketing tool, and the store would quickly make back the $80 pricetag.

Gosh, that IS a good idea!!