Author Topic: A $100,000 pick up truck  (Read 13573 times)

economist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A $100,000 pick up truck
« on: September 28, 2017, 08:04:22 AM »
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/28/luxury/ford-f-450-limited/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

New levels of clown car insanity.

"The sticker price for an F-450 Super Duty 4x4 is $87,100. Truck buyers who opt for every remaining option -- among those not already included are a truck bed extender and an off-road package -- can end up with a $95,000 truck. After taxes and fees, it'll cost over $100,000.
If you're not ready for all that, of course, the cheapest Ford Super Duty truck still starts at just $32,000. Don't expect any massaging seats."

Isn't it great how a $32,000 pick up suddenly is presented as the "cheap" option?

Vegasgirl

• Stubble
  • Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
Re: A $100,000 pick up truck
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:07:36 AM »
It's the truck equivalent of the $1000 Apple phone !! They go hand in hand.

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »
I love how it's described as a "work" truck but has the luxury of "real wood trim and contrast-stitched leather inside". Because that really helps you get the job done!

It blows my mind how many men are willing to sink their families into debt in order to put their egos on a lift kit. I really loved MMM's article  What Does Your work Truck Say About You?

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:24:50 AM »
Interesting, when I saw this thread I though of:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a33542/shelby-f-150-super-snake/

so its good to know there are options!  When I first saw the cobra F-150 was at a construction site and one of the construction foremen observed that he would rather retire a couple years earlier than own it, so the whole experience was almost Mustachismo?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:25:10 AM »
My dad actually bought a new F350 about seven years ago for around 30 - 40 grand.  He uses it heavily for about a month each year to move 7-8 ton loads of grain/soy beans to processors and distributors after harvest time.  It works pretty well for that, but dad usually refuses to drive it any other time of the year because it's such a thirsty vehicle.  It really cracks me up when I see a sparkling new one parked at a grocery store in the city of Toronto, or in an office building parking lot.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »
Damn.  So, basically, for $100K, I can buy a fully-loaded pickup.

Or I could buy a brand-spanking new base-model pickup for $32K and have enough left over for this: 

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/714148020/overview/

Or this http://boats.iboats.com/2014-misty-harbor-1680fc-oshkosh-wi/1842121.html, plus two of these http://boats.iboats.com/2003-polaris-pwc-genesis-i/1732280.html, plus two of these  https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Honda-Marysville-Motorsports-2891278/listing/2014-Harley-Davidson-FXSBSE---CVO-Breakout-120074907

Or, you know, 2+ years at the state flagship for one of my kids.

Or, assuming I need/want a pickup, I could buy this:  https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/714155933/overview/, put the remainder in Vanguard, and have another @$150-200K when I FIRE. 

Yeah, thanks, I'll pass.  I do have a soft spot for pickups, but this ain't it.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 04:37:06 PM »
I live in a city and there are giant pretty trucks, which have never seen mud, everywhere. They don't know how to drive the things so they are always over the line. No one can park one. Most of the time they are sitting double parked in compact spots with 5 feet of the truck still sticking out into the road.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 05:40:09 PM »
No thanks. My weenie's big enough.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »
This is the most absurd article I've ever read. I couldn't believe the following quote was real:

Ford Super Duty marketing manager Brian Rathsburg said a typical target customer is someone who tows a $250,000 horse trailer with million-dollar horses on board, or a six-figure boat, and is looking for a truck to match.

Transaction prices for heavy duty pickups have skyrocketed in recent years as brands have added more upscale models to their lineups. The industry average was $55,473 in August, according to Kelly Blue Book. Ford leads the segment at $57,199, with high end models accounting for over half of Super Duty sales.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »
I'm struggling to process this. A $100,000 pickup truck is the wrong tool for literally every job I can think of.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 07:33:13 PM »
This is the most absurd article I've ever read. I couldn't believe the following quote was real:

Ford Super Duty marketing manager Brian Rathsburg said a typical target customer is someone who tows a $250,000 horse trailer with million-dollar horses on board, or a six-figure boat, and is looking for a truck to match.

Transaction prices for heavy duty pickups have skyrocketed in recent years as brands have added more upscale models to their lineups. The industry average was $55,473 in August, according to Kelly Blue Book. Ford leads the segment at $57,199, with high end models accounting for over half of Super Duty sales.

I've heard million dollar horses will refuse to ride in a trailer hauled by a truck costing less than six figures.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 09:08:44 PM »
Finally, a truck worthy of Boss Hogg from "The Dukes of Hazzard". Let's go jump a Dodge Charger over the ol' crick!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 05:15:20 AM »

Ford was pretty clear that they saw a niche market opportunity and took it. Seems like a good business decision to me. Over a decade ago GM took their Suburban utility vehicle, long the standard transport for big families, government agencies, and other niche buyers, and added a ton of bling, making it an extreme luxury truck, and adding 48% to the base sticker price. They created a small volume, highly profitable product. Ford is the first to the market with an over the top, extreme luxury heavy duty class truck, and knows that their demographic for this niche vehicle will not have second thoughts over spending $15-20K over the current top of the line Super duty. There are two reasons that this is meaningless to all those that are fervently wringing their hands here. First, these trucks are going to sell if they are a King Ranch, or Platinum edition, for $60-75K, or if they are this silly bling-mobile for ten grand more, and no they are not $100K, the will leave the lot in the low $80s. The fact that they have an upgrade package is a marketing tool, not a whole new class of earth destroying tank. Second, they will sell in very small numbers, and probably create little increase in the total number of heavy duty sales for Ford in 2018. For example the Escalade ESV I mentioned, is good for about 15K units a year in the states. Honda sells  30K CRVs a MONTH, to put that in perspective. This whole drama is no different that buying a new Honda fit and adding a $1400 package to it. You were going to buy the car, you like the added features, you pick that model.

As for the "fact" that there is zero need for a truck of this size, I disagree. My son is in management with a construction and oilfield services company. They buy several of them a year. The less fancy ones are used to haul everything imaginable, including large gooseneck trailers with fifteen tons of material onboard. The company owners each have one of the fancy versions for daily use. This isn't Europe, and there is a legitimate use for large, heavy duty trucks. There are hundreds of thousands of Class 3-5 heavy pickups used to pull large RVs that folks live in full time, and millions used to capacity in the trades and industry.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »
No thanks. My weenie's big enough.

+100K

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 10:15:31 AM »
I just feel like if I had a $100k truck, I wouldn't want to take it offroad or haul anything with it. I mean, it's the cost of a house! I'm not about to go ruining it.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
As for the "fact" that there is zero need for a truck of this size, I disagree. My son is in management with a construction and oilfield services company. They buy several of them a year. The less fancy ones are used to haul everything imaginable, including large gooseneck trailers with fifteen tons of material onboard. The company owners each have one of the fancy versions for daily use. This isn't Europe, and there is a legitimate use for large, heavy duty trucks. There are hundreds of thousands of Class 3-5 heavy pickups used to pull large RVs that folks live in full time, and millions used to capacity in the trades and industry.

I agree with you that there is a use for the capabilities of a truck this size. However if I were doing one of those jobs I would feel the need to change before getting into this truck to not ruin the premium leather. Give me a truck with those capabilities and a regular cloth interior and vinyl dash and I am good to go.  Even better if it has a manual transmission.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 10:57:46 AM »
I just feel like if I had a $100k truck, I wouldn't want to take it offroad or haul anything with it. I mean, it's the cost of a house! I'm not about to go ruining it.
This is why I don't live in my houses. Don't want to take the risk of damaging them.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 08:15:45 AM »
Well according to people here the number 1 car driven by millionaires is a Ford pick up truck.

$100k truck comparable to $1,000 iPhone?  Not even in the same realm.

- Sent from my iPhone X (in spirit because I haven't purchased it yet)

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 08:43:55 AM »
Well according to people here the number 1 car driven by millionaires is a Ford pick up truck.

A statement that borders on silly, no?  The topic is a rough riding, very heavy duty truck for a very small niche market. Until you experience what's it's like to operate a class 3+ heavy pickup, it's tough to imagine how unrefined they can be. I've driven them loaded with over two tons of material in the bed, and at that point they settle down and stop slamming your kidneys on every bump and pothole. Next season of the Kardashians is unlikely to feature $100K  F450s as the next "must have" accessory. I'm sure that Mercedes, BMW, etc..... would have a bit of snicker if anybody proposed that a blinged out, crude work truck will impact their sales in the least.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 09:24:41 AM »
No thanks. My weenie's big enoug

Love it.

I grew up in a large-ish but hick-y rural town outside a large urban center. People there seem to love the massively unattractive wrangler jeans (makes any butt look flat!), big buckles, and big trucks. One friend from HS dubbed them “little penis trucks”, which I think has a lot of truth in it. Well, I haven’t done any field research to verify, but perhaps “little self-confidence trucks” is more apt. In any case, 90% of them appeared to be compensating for some deficiency.

In my naive days I figured trucks cost around $20k because nice cars cost more and trucks were anything but nice. Sure, you can put leather on it, but lipstick on a pig and all of that. When I started hearing what they actually cost I was utterly blown away. Why would you spend that kind of money on something that isn’t fun to drive, can’t be parked, handles poorly, is loud and ugly and smelly...?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 09:56:57 AM »
Why would you spend that kind of money on something that isn’t fun to drive, can’t be parked, handles poorly, is loud and ugly and smelly...?

Well, since the majority of operators of heavy pickups are farmers, landscapers, construction workers, owners of large 5th wheel trailers who full-time, horsemen, large boat owners, equipment and material suppliers, etc..... I would imagine they spend money on a $50K+ truck, since that's the tool needed to get the job done. Since Ford sells 800K+ pickups a year in this market, I would imagine that there are more than a few people who disagree with your opinion. BTW, parking is a skill.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 10:31:24 AM »
Lots of hand wringing from folks that don't understand trucks. This isn't designed as a truck for a farmer to haul around hay in the fields or for a construction worker to haul materials and tools to a job site.  It's a truck designed/aimed at a multi millionaire to tow around his show horses or boat or whatever 15 tons of toys he wants to spend his money on. The market here isn't 'normal' people. And that multi millionaire is going to happily pay for all the frills.

Heavy/super duty trucks (eg f250, f350, f450, etc) are built for towing, not hauling or 'work'. Trucks built for workmen (f150) haul about a ton or tow about 2 tons and can be had with no frills and start at about 25k.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:33:13 AM by MilesTeg »

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »
Lots of hand wringing from folks that don't understand trucks. This isn't designed as a truck for a farmer to haul around hay in the fields or for a construction worker to haul materials and tools to a job site.  It's a truck designed/aimed at a multi millionaire to tow around his show horses or boat or whatever 15 tons of toys he wants to spend his money on. The market here isn't 'normal' people. And that multi millionaire is going to happily pay for all the frills.

Heavy/super duty trucks (eg f250, f350, f450, etc) are built for towing, not hauling or 'work'. Trucks built for workmen (f150) haul about a ton or tow about 2 tons and can be had with no frills and start at about 25k.

Your right, you don't get it.  There are loads of wealthy business owners, and ranchers  who will think nothing of loading a truck like this with a 2000 lb. round bale of hay, or tens of thousands of bucks worth of drill bits, to drop of to a client in the oil fields. These guys are making 6-7 figures a year, and drive a fully loaded King Ranch at the moment. Others are wealthy boat, horse and fifth wheel owners who want the latest and greatest. Many of the latter group already drop six figures into custom upfitted class 3 or larger rigs from the big three, and even the "baby eight" class of big rigs, like the Freightliner Sportchassis.

Oh, BTW, this is ridiculous:

Heavy/super duty trucks (eg f250, f350, f450, etc) are built for towing, not hauling or 'work'.

Tough to find any significant contractor in these parts that doesn't have at least a couple of Superduties. Most of which will be driven into the ground, as work vehicles, having hauled enormous loads on a regular basis, and towed little to nothing. In trades like landscape maintenance and excavating, the Ford superduties are the majority of "light" vehicles in the fleet.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 01:37:40 PM »

Your right, you don't get it.  There are loads of wealthy business owners, and ranchers  who will think nothing of loading a truck like this with a 2000 lb. round bale of hay, or tens of thousands of bucks worth of drill bits, to drop of to a client in the oil fields. These guys are making 6-7 figures a year, and drive a fully loaded King Ranch at the moment. Others are wealthy boat, horse and fifth wheel owners who want the latest and greatest. Many of the latter group already drop six figures into custom upfitted class 3 or larger rigs from the big three, and even the "baby eight" class of big rigs, like the Freightliner Sportchassis.

So in other words you agree it's aimed at wealthy people not average people. If a wealthy guy wants to spend money (that he'll never miss) on something like this what's the problem?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »

So in other words you agree it's aimed at wealthy people not average people. If a wealthy guy wants to spend money (that he'll never miss) on something like this what's the problem?

Yes, I agree 100%. This non-story is about a profitable tiny piece of the vehicle manufacturing pie. When Ford introduced the totally redesigned Aluminum bodied Super Duties, they saw the average ticket jump by $10K,  as buyers gravitated toward the luxury end. If you are in their position, kicking it up a notch is just sound business. The fact that an American company throws more bling into a limited run of a domestic product, sells them at a higher price, and health profit margin, is hardly shameful. It may not suit the sensibilities of the collective here, and I understand, and personally follow that path, with a CRV for daily use, and an old 1/2 ton chevy that I'll sell as soon as I'm done renovating my sixty year old house.

OTOH, I don't run around in circles, agonizing over of a $100K truck some rich clown is tooling around in. It's all about scale and perspective. Most of us are in the 1%, or even to top 1/3rd of a percent, when viewed as a global average. Most of us live lives of sickening luxury, when viewed through the same lens. If you're sitting in a tin shack in South Africa, are you on your smart phone, and horrified to learn that folks like us have electric 24 hours a day, clean water flowing freely, and hundreds of thousands in the bank? If you can't afford an x-ray for your busted ribs, or the 100 mile trip to the clinic, do you give a shit that somebody is passing by in a new Land Rover? Why worry about some stupid pickup truck? 

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 07:53:06 AM »

The book Millionaire next door is the source for the quote about millionaires driving Ford F-150s. That book is about how most millionaires don't act rich. They are overwhelming frugal. They don't dress fancy, don't eat at fancy restaurants, don't drive luxury cars, etc. Many of them are small business owners who run their finances like their businesses, intelligently.

I highly doubt they are driving 100k luxury trucks or buying $1,000 iPhones.  They are more likely to be driving F-150 "work" trucks.

Nately

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 01:20:02 PM »
I want one. I could tow some really nice boats with that.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
Contest on who is the first to see one in the parking lot at work?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 07:24:29 PM »
Commuters driving $32K or $100K trucks - just different versions of waste when these are filled with single individuals driving miles to work.   

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 07:09:17 AM »
Don't forget then you need $8000 for a lift kit, $2000 for new wheels, and another $2000 because now your tires don't fit the new wheels, new fenders, a hitch, trailer, boat, etc...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 08:13:35 AM »

Wouldn't a rich dude have a guy who does all that though?  Rich people don't have to spend their time doing long haul truckin' . . .

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 08:25:39 AM »
It'll go with their $90k sneaker
http://www.businessinsider.com/kanye-wests-nike-air-yeezy-2-sneakers-are-selling-for-over-90000-2012-6

the 1% needs something to spend the $$ on. If they stop, a lot of us will loose our jobs ;)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 08:32:12 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/kanye-wests-nike-air-yeezy-2-sneakers-are-selling-for-over-90000-2012-6

the 1% needs something to spend the $$ on. If they stop, a lot of us will loose our jobs ;)

Weird.  I'd have figured anything even tangentially related to Kanye would be considered damaged goods and relegated to the discount bin.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2017, 09:02:43 AM »

Wouldn't a rich dude have a guy who does all that though?  Rich people don't have to spend their time doing long haul truckin' . . .

Get away from the wife and the spoiled kids for a while? I would imagine the self made rich guys fancy they do some of this stuff themselves and no reason to suffer in a base model F-150.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2017, 09:07:36 AM »

Weird.  I'd have figured anything even tangentially related to Kanye would be considered damaged goods and relegated to the discount bin.

I have never understood the appeal of the Yeezy shoes (Nike or Adidas versions). Based upon looks nothing about them appeals to me at those prices. Admittedly I am not a sneakerhead and only wear sneakers when I am working out, yard work, or running quick errands.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2017, 08:43:24 PM »
Meanwhile, a $130k Tesla is seen by quite a few people who hate trucks as a perfectly reasonable vehicle...

I can't say I have a desire to own a $100k truck, but a proper truck that can tow 15k lbs and put a ton and a half of gravel in the bed is a pretty useful vehicle to me. :)  I just paid an awful lot less than $100k for mine, and expect it to last the rest of my life.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2017, 08:37:11 PM »
Someone tells me of somone admiring expensive new pickup trucks. Potential buyer is famous for trashing their vehicles.

Absolutely no reason to buy a new anything if you aren't planning to take care of it. Buy a ten year old vehicle.

EricL

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2017, 12:55:26 AM »
In my affluent non rural, non working class burgh I make a point of gawking at any dude that actually uses his pickup to haul actual work stiff or large items.  If they notice I point out how it’s a rarity. 

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2017, 08:25:22 AM »
In my affluent non rural, non working class burgh I make a point of gawking at any dude that actually uses his pickup to haul actual work stiff or large items.  If they notice I point out how it’s a rarity.

I would do this... but I never see anyone use their truck for truck stuff. I'll make a point to do this when I finally see that unicorn.

JLE1990

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »
Haha this is great! I just saw this in Forbes and searched to see if anyone here had picked up on it(puns always intended).

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »
I agree. A $1,000 phone is far more absurd than a $100k truck. With a $100k truck, you are only 5x the cheapest base model truck, while with a $1000 phone you are closer to 10x the cheapest smartphone. Next, the $100k truck will probably last 4+ years or so before it is traded in for newer model while the phone will probably be replaced in a year or two.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »

Get away from the wife and the spoiled kids for a while? I would imagine the self made rich guys fancy they do some of this stuff themselves and no reason to suffer in a base model F-150.

Absolutely. I once wanted a 3/4 ton Suburban for my construction business. They were as rare as chicken lips on the used market and about $60K, new at that time. I found one that a one percenter bought to drag his boat around with. four years old, super low miles, and about every option man had ever dreamed of. It was also roughly $40K less than the window sticker.  The deal was a bit of a snicker, as it was on the lot of a very high end used dealer in a wealthy NYC suburb. They were simply horrified to have such an agricultural implement on the same lot as their Maseratis and other 100K+  Eurotrash. I'm surprised that I wasn't asked to drive around back when I showed up to look at it. I also bought a sweet Scion coupe from a Porsche dealer. Great car, great price and the thing came serviced and detailed like it was about to be rolled into an enclosed trailer, and driven to a car show.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 11:47:15 AM »
A $100k truck is silly no matter how you slice it, but the same can be said for a $100k Tesla.

Companies segment markets to extract as much profit as possible. Multi-millionaires overpaying for stuff is one thing, but when "normal" people do it it's just sad because they're wrecking their finances for something frivolous.

As for ethics? It depends on what the truck is used for. I know guys with legit needs for super duty pickups - as in they need the payload and/or towing capacity for work. They don't need the capabilities all the time so there's a genuine question of getting a second vehicle or using what they already have.

Yes, it's wildly inefficient to use a vehicle with a 5000 lb payload capacity to make a special trip to pick up a gallon of milk. The guys I know with these things either use the other car (if they have one) or shop on the way home to avoid making a special trip. They work hard and aren't dumb, they don't want to waste money. I realize there are plenty of truck drivers out there that are the opposite, mostly young arrogant men looking for attention, but there are also a lot of humble and hardworking types that don't seek attention and are just trying to make a living.

My issue with the urbane EV driving set is when they condescendingly look down on pickup truck drivers en route to the airport to jet around the world for pleasure, burning massive amounts of hydrocarbons in the process. Whereas the truck guys I know will typically use their trucks to camp at nearby lakes for their R&R.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 12:23:01 PM »
Yes, it's wildly inefficient to use a vehicle with a 5000 lb payload capacity to make a special trip to pick up a gallon of milk. The guys I know with these things either use the other car (if they have one) or shop on the way home to avoid making a special trip. They work hard and aren't dumb, they don't want to waste money.

Also, at some point, driving an inefficient vehicle you have is still cheaper than maintaining another vehicle.  And, TBH, the new pickups aren't that bad on fuel compared to the older ones.

I generally don't drive my truck (good for towing about 12-13k lbs, if not a big more) unless I'm hauling something heavy or large (big trailer, plywood, etc).  We've got a smaller, more efficient car that my wife and daughter use.  But, there are times when I'll take my truck with just me to get somewhere (dental appointment if I don't feel like riding a motorcycle after a filling, or if it's just downright crappy out, etc).  It's not a common case, but the extra cost from that doesn't nearly pay for yet another vehicle.

My issue with the urbane EV driving set is when they condescendingly look down on pickup truck drivers en route to the airport to jet around the world for pleasure, burning massive amounts of hydrocarbons in the process. Whereas the truck guys I know will typically use their trucks to camp at nearby lakes for their R&R.

Or this forum... the reflexive "All personally owned trucks are evil!" thing is pretty well old.  Yes, some people can get away with a minivan, or a trailer, but depending on the use cases, that doesn't cover everything.  And the number of times on this forum I've seen people bragging about loading a vehicle well beyond rated payload is concerning...

A good time is camping on the lake for a weekend.  Or up in the mountains.  Take a good book, some beer, head up to somewhere you won't see other people if you don't want to, and hang out for the weekend.  Hike around the area while you're there.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 01:47:40 PM »
No thanks. My weenie's big enoug

Love it.

I grew up in a large-ish but hick-y rural town outside a large urban center. People there seem to love the massively unattractive wrangler jeans (makes any butt look flat!), big buckles, and big trucks. One friend from HS dubbed them “little penis trucks”, which I think has a lot of truth in it. Well, I haven’t done any field research to verify, but perhaps “little self-confidence trucks” is more apt. In any case, 90% of them appeared to be compensating for some deficiency.

In my naive days I figured trucks cost around $20k because nice cars cost more and trucks were anything but nice. Sure, you can put leather on it, but lipstick on a pig and all of that. When I started hearing what they actually cost I was utterly blown away. Why would you spend that kind of money on something that isn’t fun to drive, can’t be parked, handles poorly, is loud and ugly and smelly...?

I'm going to guess that you have absolutely zero first hand experience with modern / expensive trucks.  I wouldn't buy them, but most of what you're saying is simply wrong.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:50:19 PM by JLee »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 03:35:47 PM »
I'm going to guess that you have absolutely zero first hand experience with modern / expensive trucks.  I wouldn't buy them, but most of what you're saying is simply wrong.

Seriously.  The aluminum/EcoBoost F150 is far, far more fun to drive and capable than any truck with that sort of tow rating ought to be...

I wouldn't buy it, but I got it as a rental once and flogged it on some mountain roads I was familiar with.  Bonkers how well it went up twisty roads, and then just for fun I took it down the back way, which is a properly rutted dirt trail.  It handled both wonderfully, and got 20+mpg in the process.  Not great for a small car, but insanely good for a truck that can tow up to 12k lbs in some configurations.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:37:38 PM by Syonyk »

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 05:55:51 PM »
  Funny, My weenie is so big I drive a Prius. :) ! 

That said, an foolish coworker of mine decided that this was a great vehicle for commuting 50 miles round trip each day.  Only 68K list! A bargain at 62K!

http://www.jakesweeneychevy.com/VehicleDetails/new-2017-Chevrolet-Silverado_2500HD-Crew_Cab_Standard_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_LTZ-Cincinnati-OH/3036779313

He makes about 50-60k or so a year I would guess but the my cat is wiser financially than a person who would blow 100k on a truck.  Spending more than your yearly before tax income on a vehicle is a sure way to work until you are dead. SMH

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 01:55:48 PM »
Folks ought to price what it costs to repair those diesel engines when something breaks.

A fuel injector from the aftermarket can be $500.

x 8 if you really had some bad luck...

$1200 for an diesel injector pump.

$500 for a turbo.

Labor not included.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 02:16:40 PM »
Folks ought to price what it costs to repair those diesel engines when something breaks.

A fuel injector from the aftermarket can be $500.

x 8 if you really had some bad luck...

$1200 for an diesel injector pump.

$500 for a turbo.

Labor not included.

For me this wouldn't matter. And it might not even be Un-Mustachio. Gadzooks how?

When I am on a customers site, I bill most of them 15 bucks an hour for the truck. Yeah that's right. it sits there an makes me money and maybe twice a year I need the 4-wheel to look at some piece of junk in the corner of some  idiots facility that, because they didn't maintain it, now they want a "real" engineer to look at it and tell them to fix it. 

You guys need to understand the difference between  real work trucks are profit centers for the contractor and ego trucks.

If I didn't have a real truck and instead had say a Yaris, I couldn't bill the 15, it would be considered unreasonable. I am paid to play by my customers rules. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!