Author Topic: 2065 FIRE cohort  (Read 24381 times)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2065 FIRE cohort
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2018, 11:04:42 AM »
I can't wait to retire in 2065!! It will be my 50th work anniversary at my company and then I can pick the fanciest gift in the coroporate gift catalogue!! I will have the fanciest company logo gear out of anyone in the office, everyone will be so jealous! And I can't wait to display the plaque with my name and work anniversary in my cubicle! I'll finally be top dawg!!

No joke: I've heard the anniversary gift catalogue at a certain Fortune 500 company has a company logo coffin. So you can die and put your lifeless corpse in a box with your company's name engraved on it so they can forever own your soul.

A few years ago, a fellow at work reached 55 years of service. You get a new year pin every 5 years in addition to some token gift. Nobody had ever gotten there before, so they had to make a custom pin just for him.

He worked another 3.5 years, just retired last month. Apparently work was generally more relaxing than his home life.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2018, 10:31:53 AM »
What a sucker! He was only a year and a half away from his diamond anniversary with the company.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2018, 07:21:22 AM »
I'm starting to see some headlines here recognizing workers who get up into the 40-50 year range with my employer. I wonder if this article can unpack some of the motivation for the mega-career:

https://www.theonion.com/retired-factory-worker-had-no-idea-earnings-from-50s-w-1819576513

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!