Author Topic: "Working from home is too convenient"  (Read 11899 times)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: "Working from home is too convenient"
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2021, 11:31:50 AM »
Quote from: Imma
...snip...to the edge of civilization you're bound to lose half of your staff, probably the best ones, and when you're located there it's extremely hard to find staff willing to live there. It didn't work out that well in the Netherlands. ......snip.... remote locations......

Wait, really?
edge of civilization..remote locations... Netherlands

I'm usually good at geography, but I'm having some cognitive dissonance about that paragraph.

Edit to get the quote author correct.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 04:01:54 PM by markbike528CBX »

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2021, 12:41:54 PM »

...snip...to the edge of civilization you're bound to lose half of your staff, probably the best ones, and when you're located there it's extremely hard to find staff willing to live there. It didn't work out that well in the Netherlands. ......snip.... remote locations......

Wait, really?

I'm usually good at geography, but I'm having some cognitive dissonance about that paragraph.

I'm in Louisiana and would drive five hours one-way within the state for a 4 hour visit with my dad when he was in a nursing home (covid rules).   I think you snipped out the European ID who noted that there are remote locations in the Netherlands.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2021, 01:21:17 PM »

Wait, really?

I suppose us Dutchies have a different perception of distances.

If you want to know the details, the military barracks I was talking about was planned for Vlissingen, which is on an island with extremely limited public transit and 1,5 hours away from the nearest city by car during quiet hours - probably an hour longer in mornings. Plus on arrival in the city you'd have to pay €€€ to park. Driving (both getting a license and operating a car) is extremely expensive here so most under-25s don't have a car and everyone who owns a car avoids driving long distances if they can. Outside of the tourist industry there's not much highly skilled work in that province so a working spouse would either have to drive to Rotterdam or to the Breda area, which is a little bit closer and is still a decent enough city but not a big city.

We also built a public university in Heerlen, which is such a deprived area that none of the academic staff live there. They commute long distances or get hotel rooms. I wouldn't want to live there either. Unlike Vlissingen which at least has beaches, Heerlen offers nothing but a very deprived, ugly city, massive social problems and the locals are generally unfriendly to strangers. It's a former mining community and when the mines closed there was not much left. The closest city of Maastricht is not that far away, but the closest big city with tons of job opportunities is Eindhoven which is also more than an hour away outside of rush hour. Also limited public transit there.

They sent the student loan company to Groningen which is two hours away from the big cities, but they also have a public university so the city itself is quite a nice place to live if you've secured a job there. It's just so far away from the rest of the country that no one in your family will ever visit you. It's why some people move there in the first place.

All those areas are maybe geographically not that remote, but extremely limited transit connections (usually one road in and out) and the lack of amenities in the area make them extremely unappealing for many people, which in turn means that people that have other options leave asap. I come from an area like that. Of the people I went to highschool with, almost all dropouts are still there, but maybe two people with degrees still live there.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2021, 09:22:09 PM »
Perception. Living in CA, a two hour drive is close. Lol

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2021, 06:10:56 AM »
“An Englishman thinks a hundred miles is a long way; an American thinks a hundred years is a long time”

― Diana Gabaldon, Drums of Autumn

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2021, 12:21:15 PM »

And a super antimustachian commute.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2021, 12:40:31 PM »

It also helps that fuel is practically free on your side of the Atlantic. Many people on an ordinary income wouldn't be able to afford a two hour commute here.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2021, 04:16:57 PM »

It also helps that fuel is practically free on your side of the Atlantic. Many people on an ordinary income wouldn't be able to afford a two hour commute here.

Not just the fuel, the cars too. In my state there is 0 tax on cars to speak of. A little bit of gas tax, but purchase has no tax and registration is practically free.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2021, 09:58:47 PM »

Not just the fuel, the cars too. In my state there is 0 tax on cars to speak of. A little bit of gas tax, but purchase has no tax and registration is practically free.
And just across an imaginary line*, in Washington State, 8+% sales tax, hundreds of dollars in registration fees,and a 0.49/ gallon state gas tax.  Doesn't seem to slow any consumption.

*the line is imaginary in the easternmost parts.  The Columbia River is the border in the westernmost parts.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2021, 11:00:37 PM »

No doubt. My comment was in reference to being so far away that family will not visit...

“They sent the student loan company to Groningen which is two hours away from the big cities, but they also have a public university so the city itself is quite a nice place to live if you've secured a job there. It's just so far away from the rest of the country that no one in your family will ever visit you. It's why some people move there in the first place.”