Author Topic: $5k per quarter clothing allowance  (Read 5071 times)

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
$5k per quarter clothing allowance
« on: September 25, 2018, 11:49:37 AM »
I was recently invited to a clothing swap.  One of the women is a financial planner and her company has a budget of $5,000 that each employee must spend on clothing every quarter.  Huge score for me because she brings clothes that still have price tags on and we are the same size, however, I would never want my money in an institution that spends $20k/person/year just on wardrobe.  *smh*

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: $5k per quarter clothing allowance
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 12:29:53 PM »
OMG I can't even imagine. I don't think my family of five has spent a combined 20k on clothes in our entire lifetimes. I live in a pretty high end area though; maybe I should look for one of these clothing swaps!

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 01:17:37 PM »
Why do they have to spend a certain amount on clothing each quarter? Clients can't see them in the same thing twice or something?

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 01:22:48 PM »
If they still have tags, can you return them?

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »
They want to make sure their employees are projecting a certain image.  They want their folks in designers suits.  And those suits cannot be from last year's fall collection, because the wealthy client who cares about that crap will definitely notice and start making judgments and assumptions.

SillyPutty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »
Honestly sounds like my nightmare to have to do $5k worth of clothes shopping every 3 months.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »
I... legitimately think I'll spend less than that on clothes in my lifetime at my current rate.  Wow.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »
Honestly sounds like my nightmare to have to do $5k worth of clothes shopping every 3 months.

Agreed. 

My family clothes budget for the year is about $800 for 4 people.  We don't wear any professional/dress up clothes and most of that cost is for new shoes.  All the rest is purchased at thrift stores.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
I’d love the work at a company with a $5k/quarter clothing allowance. Buy this season’s clothes, wear them, then sell them. Or don’t wear them, get a gift receipt as well as an original receipt, then return it and pocket the money.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »
I used to be a sportswriter and several pro athletes told me that one of the worst financial pitfalls is when an athlete's wife decides to launch her own business. She spends mega money to launch the business, essentially a very expensive money pit hobby since she's likely given no thought to how it's all going to work. But, hey, she can tell all of her friends she has her own business.

I bring this up because I remember one athlete telling me he talked his wife out of launching a business -- a boutique or something similar - by telling her to spend an additional $5K a month shopping for herself. He was in the midst of a $20 million contract at the time and figured he'd come out way ahead by her not launching a business.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 10:42:10 AM »
I could understand if she was in television broadcasting maybe, but wow! I'm sure it doesn't stop there. Proper vehicle, appropriate housing situation, the right memberships, theater subscriptions, the best schools for the perfect children, the list is endless. Ugh!

Edit: too damn many typos.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 12:59:36 AM by Dicey »

PloddingInsight

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 11:31:39 AM »
Out of curiosity I just went to my spreadsheet and calculated my family's per capita quarterly spend on clothing.

$42.37

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
$5k would likely be more than I've spent on clothes for my entire lifetime including one custom made suit, hockey skates, ski boots and even the corduroy vest back in the 80's.  I'm 61.

Tinker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 01:55:59 PM »
They want to make sure their employees are projecting a certain image.  They want their folks in designers suits.  And those suits cannot be from last year's fall collection, because the wealthy client who cares about that crap will definitely notice and start making judgments and assumptions.
sounds like they're not getting enough male clients

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 02:42:00 PM »
You'd be surprised how many wealthy men think you should "look the part"  and be "buttoned down" in certain professions.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 03:48:13 PM »
That's insane but at least it's company money and not personal

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
$20K per year is insane. But I think it's great that the company acknowledges that maintaining the image it desires comes at a cost, and treats it as a valid work expense

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »
At that budget, it isn't time consuming. You go to the Nordstrom's be personal shopper and she has everything oucked out and ready in your size. Done.

I wouldn't want to live that life personally, but I also don't think it would be a hardship to have someone do my clothes shopping and not spend time hitting thrift stores and picking through the racks.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »
I want to go to that clothing swap!!

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 05:46:28 PM »
I wonder why someone who spends $20,000 yearly on clothes would even go to a clothing swap?  Does she need *more* clothes?

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 06:11:55 PM »
She comes to the clothing swap mostly to give away her clothes to friends that can take advantage.  Most of the items still have tags on them.  Huge win for everyone else attending.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 07:28:33 PM »
Well, that's right neighborly!

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 10:14:45 AM »
with that sort of budget i'd just enlist a style consultant at a couple of the dept stores in the area and have them send me a fresh batch of clothes each quarter.  i don't care much for 'fashion' so it would be a hoot to see what they send!